Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Taking on a 2nd full time job

• 03-04-2021 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I currently have a full time job - Mon to Fri 9am to 5pm due to personal and family circumstances I have agreed to take on a second full time job in another company 5.30pm to midnight mon to fri. I am due to start this second job next week.

Is this something I am even allowed to do according to the working time directive or whatever it's called?

While neither contract states it is against their terms to take on another employment while working for them I would rather keep this to myself and don't want either job to know I have another job. However, when it comes down to tax and payroll while it be fairly obvious as I probably have to split my tax credits?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys and Happy Easter to you all ❤

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Dublin Lad2021

flint121 wrote: »
    I currently have a full time job - Mon to Fri 9am to 5pm due to personal and family circumstances I have agreed to take on a second full time job in another company 5.30pm to midnight mon to fri. I am due to start this second job next week.

Is this something I am even allowed to do according to the working time directive or whatever it's called?

While neither contract states it is against their terms to take on another employment while working for them I would rather keep this to myself and don't want either job to know I have another job. However, when it comes down to tax and payroll while it be fairly obvious as I probably have to split my tax credits?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys and Happy Easter to you all ❤

Unfortunately this would be illegal for you since your second employer is effectively making you violate the working time act. The max average you are allowed work is 48 hours per week. You could do it for weeks at a time but not for like longer than 3-4 months. Regarding the tax issue your current employer will have all your tax credits and you'll probably have to ring revenue to get it sorted otherwise you'll be emergency taxed in your second job.
    I'm not an expert but you might be legally obligated to tell your current employer as you're also supposed to have 11 hours rest between work. Best of luck though I'm sure people do it all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 10 flint121

Thanks very much - Happy Easter

• Registered Users Posts: 24,783 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

you are working about 14-15 hour days including commutes...With no reasonable break between jobs...your health will suffer.

Can I ask how you are getting to your workplaces and home again ? Public transport ? car ? lift ? walking ?

If your only option is driving, I’d basically scrap this plan. Not fair to others if you are going to be actually fatigued which you would be while driving..

IF driving...I did 12 hour shifts finishing at 1 am and was ultra careful on my way home, even with practically zero traffic you will require higher efforts of concentration. Mine was a 15 minute non motorway trip... no fûcking way would I have considered a motorway journey, circadian rhythm of your body dictates the condition of your body and brain at that time and after that work effort etc, no. Your health will suffer big time.

AND, your weekends will be spent recovering.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭shawki

However, when it comes down to tax and payroll while it be fairly obvious as I probably have to split my tax credits?

Your first job is more than likely using all you tax credits. It’s your income bands you might need to spilt. 35,300 for single person, 44,300 for married with one income.

More info here
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/tax/income_tax/how_your_tax_is_calculated.html

Tax calculator
    https://taxcalc.ie/budget-2021/

Hello. Thank you for your reply. I am finding this so hard to figure out. I am 29 and single. Renting. My current job is 27k a year and the 2nd job I am starting next week is 30k a year.. how did i figure the tax out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Iguarantee

Hello. Thank you for your reply. I am finding this so hard to figure out. I am 29 and single. Renting. My current job is 27k a year and the 2nd job I am starting next week is 30k a year.. how did i figure the tax out

Ring the revenue. Explain the lot to them, ask for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Lcomps

I was considering starting a second job like this but it all turned out too complicated to do. Good luck with it OP. Don't burn yourself out too bad

Hello Lcomps. Thank you very much for your reply :) When you say too complicated do you mean tax wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Lcomps

Hello Lcomps. Thank you very much for your reply :) When you say too complicated do you mean tax wise?

Yeah but also for me my first job where not very accommodating. Expecting overtime which would have influenced any second job.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I use to be doing 3 jobs don't know how...

• Advertisement

Jaysis.. how did you manage that

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Jaysis.. how did you manage that

I was young, full of energy but couldn't do it today....

Full time apprentice, then worked in a factory and then done a load of moving of vehicles for a garage.

Typical day arrive at bosses house 6:45am, finished at 5, other job at 6 then finish at 10 sometimes later, then other days would do the other too and be getting home after 1am but usually around 12.

Don't know how I done it sure in school was working at 15 doing approx 40 hours..... Every day after school and weekend would be typical.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭HBC08

Im not sure of the tax implications.
    As regards the work load i can relate.Im a healthcare worker but also run a seasonal tourist based business.
    In our busy time in the summer i dont know how many hours i work but its basically if youre awake youre working.
    Theres no way i could do the two jobs all year,its not good for your health,im like a zombie towards the end of the summer and take a few weeks to recover.
    Best of luck anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

You are allowed earn 35,300 per year at 20% anything above that will be taxed at 40% - thats a massive chunk of you wages you will be loosing by going into the higher tax bracket

• Registered Users Posts: 25,659 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

messrs wrote: »
    You are allowed earn 35,300 per year at 20% anything above that will be taxed at 40% - thats a massive chunk of you wages you will be loosing by going into the higher tax bracket

It's actually closer to 50% when you add in PRSI and USC.

So if the first job is 27k, then of the 2nd job (30-7) = 23k is taxed at 50%. So the OP will only end up with 80% of 7k plus 50% of 23k, which is roughly 17k extra. That's about €330 extra per week.

OP - both of your employers should be doing regular checks to make sure that your average working time isn't more than 48 hours per week. Sooner or later, one of them will do one of these checks - you can lie, but if they eventually find out, that's grounds for firing you. Or perhaps the night job will ask you to attend a one-off meeting in the daytime or suchlike.

Thank you very much for your reply and doing the calculations for me. Much appreciated. Do I have to ring revenue and split my tax credits in order for the tax to work out as you are saying or do I just register my other job with revenue and do nothing?

Advertisement