Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legacy F1 entitlement with Sky discontinued

Options
  • 30-03-2021 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭

Maybe this had been discussed before but yesterday I was informed from Sky that I can no longer get F1 without a Sports package. I've had it included in my package since they took over in 2012(?) .. apparently all customers are being automatically changed to their new Signature package from next month and will no longer get F1 unless they have the Sports addon.

I don't know how many of you have F1 this way but I was pissed off to say the least, I've no interest in any other sport so paying for all the sports channels is not going to happen. It's almost like the want people to use dodgy boxes!

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Ah ffs, I'm not at all happy about that. Haven't received any notification yet myself, but that's grossly unfair to anyone who has been paying over the odds for the HD package for years just so we can keep the F1 channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Wouldn’t be at all happy with that at all. It’s the reason we have the HD subscription. Feels like I’ve had that argument with Sky a number of times. It would be really sh1tty if they cut it off next month when the F1 season has just started. Nobody in Sky has contacted me about changing my subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭v10

Zaph wrote: »
    Ah ffs, I'm not at all happy about that. Haven't received any notification yet myself, but that's grossly unfair to anyone who has been paying over the odds for the HD package for years just so we can keep the F1 channel.

Yep, I spent an hour arguing with a few different people but in the end just cancelled my subscription after 20+ years ..

I wouldn't mind but it's not like they've stopped charging for HD

Their new packages are here and apparently all customers will be automatically switched around the end of April and they will be notifying customers over the next week or so.

I was only made aware because I called looking to see if I could get the cost down a but as I do every now and again.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

There are often deals for Sky Sports on NowTV. Been using it myself while all the EPL matches are on TV, but was planning on probably dropping it at the end of the season and I still would have had the F1 channel on my Sky subscription. Looks like I'll switch to a cheaper Sky package now and hold on to NowTV as well.

Zaph wrote: »
    There are often deals for Sky Sports on NowTV. Been using it myself while all the EPL matches are on TV, but was planning on probably dropping it at the end of the season and I still would have had the F1 channel on my Sky subscription. Looks like I'll switch to a cheaper Sky package now and hold on to NowTV as well.

Well for me F1 was the main reason I was holding on to my sky subscription. Can't remember the last time (other than F1) that I've watched something live, it's always recorded or catchup. These days there's so many easy ways to get TV after it's aired that Sky just seems a total rip off. As long as we've Netflix and Disney in the house everyone else is happy. So losing F1 was the nail in the coffin.

I've just signed up for F1 TV Pro @ €65 for a year so I'll see how that goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I'm not a Sky customer but I thought the idea behind the Sky Sports F1, Sky Sports Football, Sky Sports Cricket channels etc. was that a customer could pick and choose the specific channels they wanted based on a sport.

I'm not a Sky customer but I thought the idea behind the Sky Sports F1, Sky Sports Football, Sky Sports Cricket channels etc. was that a customer could pick and choose the specific channels they wanted based on a sport.

You would think so .. but no they only come as a bundle

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,426 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I ditched all my sky sports and sports channels about a year ago (including NowTV). Use a different service now that provides me with all the sports channels for a lot less. Obviously not something I'd discuss on here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

v10 wrote: »
    Well for me F1 was the main reason I was holding on to my sky subscription. Can't remember the last time (other than F1) that I've watched something live, it's always recorded or catchup. These days there's so many easy ways to get TV after it's aired that Sky just seems a total rip off. As long as we've Netflix and Disney in the house everyone else is happy. So losing F1 was the nail in the coffin.

Does that sub work in Ireland ?

antodeco wrote: »
    I ditched all my sky sports and sports channels about a year ago (including NowTV). Use a different service now that provides me with all the sports channels for a lot less. Obviously not something I'd discuss on here

They're only encouraging people to look at these "different services" with their rip off tactics.

• Advertisement

jhegarty wrote: »
    Does that sub work in Ireland ?
    Not officially, but I'll tell you for sure after the next race!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

v10 wrote: »
    [...]

For all interested, few countries have F1 TV Pro priced @ 50 euro a year, and other few weekly free trial.

joujoujou wrote: »
    For all interested, few countries have F1 TV Pro priced @ 50 euro a year, and other few weekly free trial.

True, I just had problems getting payment through for some, but eventually got it to work at €65, which I don't mind paying if it works ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Is this happening to subscribers that are out of contract (that could leave tomorrow if they wanted to) or is this affecting those currently in an active annual contract.

Because, if it is the latter, I renewed in December of last year and they used the fact that I watched and had the legacy f1 channel as a sales tactic to keep me.

I’d be more than a bit miffed if sky had misled me in such an open and transparent way.

ads20101 wrote: »
    Is this happening to subscribers that are out of contract (that could leave tomorrow if they wanted to) or is this affecting those currently in an active annual contract.

Because, if it is the latter, I renewed in December of last year and they used the fact that I watched and had the legacy f1 channel as a sales tactic to keep me.

I’d be more than a bit miffed if sky had misled me in such an open and transparent way.

I couldn't say for sure but it was implied to me that all customers would be migrated to the new signature package at the end of April and that they have no way to add F1 as a standalone to that package. They couldn't do anything for me whether I wanted to pay for it or not ..

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

It's as if they don't want you to watch formula 1.
    It's the same with football, if you want to watch all the games legally it will cost you crazy money.

If they offered sports in individual packages I would have went for that but I've since found much better, much cheaper ways of watching sports on tv so they'll never get me back now.

If you have good internet, spend a day researching alternative methods and you'll never look back

• Registered Users Posts: 28,808 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

17larsson wrote:
    If you have good internet, spend a day researching alternative methods and you'll never look back

Just bought a Chromecast, it's 'alternatives' all the way, but I have to say, there still seems to be good deals out there, other than sky. I've spent lockdown testing a shed load of 'alternatives', some truly dreadful ones out there, but I'm after finding some gems to, be careful where you spend your money folks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Just bought a Chromecast, it's 'alternatives' all the way, but I have to say, there still seems to be good deals out there, other than sky. I've spent lockdown testing a shed load of 'alternatives', some truly dreadful ones out there, but I'm after finding some gems to, be careful where you spend your money folks

Interested how this works as i also have Chromecast.
    How do you get F1 on Chromecast?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,808 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

rock22 wrote: »
    Interested how this works as i also have Chromecast.
    How do you get F1 on Chromecast?

new 2020 model? after that i cant mention it on the open forum

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I’m not a die hard fan. I prefer WRC and MotoGP but if I do lose the F1 channel I’ll just cancel my subscription too. I really don’t watch much else on Sky.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    The move to pay channels is what pretty much killed WRC viewer figures. They are doing the same with Rugby and its only a matter of time before it nose dives as well.

It was nearly impossible to watch WRC at all for a few years. BT had the rights but I’d often go to watch a recorded program and BT would have showed tennis in its place.

The WRC has its own streaming service now though and it’s fantastic. Every stage is broadcast live and its decent value at €90 a year. The downside though is that it does nothing to attract new fans. If you’re going to pay for the subscription you’re already a big fan of the sport.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

That’s right, I had to sign up to a sky sports package two weeks back when I realized I had lost the F1 channel.
    Fecking disaster as I only watch the F1!
    But sure what can we do. They have the monopoly and their coverage is extensive and high quality.
    Note, my wife did not notice the jump in our bill this week.
    Also got the first 6 months half price...So not all bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

I have a feeling Sky's time with F1 is up. They appear to be trying to squeeze what they can out of it now. I think they have another 3 or 4 years but F1 are well known to be pushing their own TV subscription and also want F1 shown on free TV. They started showing more adverts during the programme also. I guess they are going to try to get people paying as much as possible until the contract expires. I'd be delighted if F1 could cancel it somehow, I'd prefer to subscribe to their channel.

seamusk84 wrote: »
    But sure what can we do.

Plenty, I now have F1 and at a fraction of what Sky wanted for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Personally, if bootleggers are involved in other shady dealings, I'd be afraid any of my personal or payment details would end up in the hands of the authorities if they ever catch up with them.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,426 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

flazio wrote: »
    Personally, if bootleggers are involved in other shady dealings, I'd be afraid any of my personal or payment details would end up in the hands of the authorities if they ever catch up with them.

One I used was paid through PayPal. They had a website selling hammers. They sent you a hammer and somehow younger IPTV with it

flazio wrote: »

Well I just signed up through F1TV, so nothing dodgy except my location !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,578 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Its ridiculous that Sky can not offer any of the sports channels they have to customers separately.

I think the contract Sky made with Vernie Ecclestone must have had something saying that the F1 channel should only be sold with the other sports channels as maybe they thought that would get them more viewers but it's not. It is doing the opposite and Sky are fools not to notice this and change it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭lertsnim

AMKC wrote: »
    I think the contract Sky made with Vernie Ecclestone must have had something saying that the F1 channel should only be sold with the other sports channels as maybe they thought that would get them more viewers but it's not.

Can UK Sky customers not subscribe to individual sport channels rather than taking them all? Even if they couldn't that would be a very strange stipulation to have on a contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,578 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

lertsnim wrote: »
    Can UK Sky customers not subscribe to individual sport channels rather than taking them all? Even if they couldn't that would be a very strange stipulation to have on a contract.

Nope Sky will not allow it. They own all the channels so it makes no sense. They are losing customers because of it. I would love the Sky Sports F1 channel nut no way am I paying for all that other rubbish I have zero interest in so not happening. Just in the last week or two even if you look over this thread you will see they have lost customers which makes no sense at all.
    They are basically shooting themselves in the foot.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement