Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

BuzzFish wrote: »
    This looks odd (very minor I know)

Shouldn't it be either one lane, or two with a line between?

548307.jpg

I've seen that on some roundabouts. The urlingford junction on m8 definitely has the identical markings without a dividing line.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

What's more annoying is the same roundabout has 3 different versions...

Capture.jpg

- The one called out above
    - two approach lanes marked
    - Single approach lane

Make up yer mind FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

From the width of the road at that point, it looks to me like they put in an extra triangle incorrectly rather than forgot the dividing line.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

The new Clane roundabout has the lanes lined differently to the other roundabouts on the scheme. Rather than two purely circular lanes circling the roundabout, the left lane is lined out the next exit, and the right lane then crosses left to exit at the following exit.

Anyone seen this technique elsewhere? Fine if people in the left lane take their next exit, but not so pretty if they want exit+1. I hope approach signage is clear.

• The new Clane roundabout has the lanes lined differently to the other roundabouts on the scheme. Rather than two purely circular lanes circling the roundabout, the left lane is lined out the next exit, and the right lane then crosses left to exit at the following exit.

Anyone seen this technique elsewhere? Fine if people in the left lane take their next exit, but not so pretty if they want exit+1. I hope approach signage is clear.
    That is a very common method in the UK and most EU countries, helps to enforce lane discipline.

• Advertisement

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    From the width of the road at that point, it looks to me like they put in an extra triangle incorrectly rather than forgot the dividing line.

Also looks to me that the 2 lanes in the bottom of the picture are different sizes, but maybe that's just the angle

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    What's more annoying is the same roundabout has 3 different versions...

Capture.jpg

- The one called out above
    - two approach lanes marked
    - Single approach lane

Make up yer mind FFS!

<snip> Mod: No snarky comments.

Darc19 wrote: »
    Frankly they should have just employed you to design and build it as you are a phenomenal expert and seem to know everything about road construction judging by your posts

Every criticism of this project (and not just by me) has been met with replies like the above by yourself, as though it's some sort of personal slight.

So come on.. in what way are you connected with this project then?

• Darc19 wrote: »
    <Snip>
    It's a really dumb roundabout, you don't need to be an expert to see how.

Why is it two lanes? It makes no sense and just causes several areas where traffic is potentially crossing each other when attempting to exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭JohnC.

The new Clane roundabout has the lanes lined differently to the other roundabouts on the scheme. Rather than two purely circular lanes circling the roundabout, the left lane is lined out the next exit, and the right lane then crosses left to exit at the following exit.

The Grannagh Junction Roundabout approaching Waterford does this. Of course, half the people using it have no lane discipline, so people are just meandering over and back across lines as if they weren't there.

I'd post a satellite image, but both Google and Bing aerial images of this junction are quite bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

JohnC. wrote: »
    The Grannagh Junction Roundabout approaching Waterford does this. Of course, half the people using it have no lane discipline, so people are just meandering over and back across lines as if they weren't there.

I'd post a satellite image, but both Google and Bing aerial images of this junction are quite bad.

The Comber Road roundabout on the A20 Newtownards ring road was recently modified to a similar setup.

It has actually improved the flow of traffic considerably.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Same on the Kerry Group roundabout

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭regedit

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Every criticism of this project (and not just by me) has been met with replies like the above by yourself, as though it's some sort of personal slight.

So come on.. in what way are you connected with this project then?
    The question has been asked before and he (Darc19) has never responded. So, clearly he has vested interests!
    He aggressively seeks credentials from anyone who questions the delay while never offering a glimpse of his qualifications

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Can ye stop the snarking. Speculating on posters identity is against he charter, but so is snarking.

Give it a rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,822 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's a turbo roundabout.

This one has 3 arms, so (ignoring u-turns, if allowed) there are only two possible movements from each entrance, and two lanes at each entrance, so there should be no conflict.

Life ain't always empty.

If you look at the roundabout that is causing palpitations to some people, it actually makes sense.

On the approach at the bottom, I'd would guess that 50/60% of vehicles are heading straight (1st exit), 40/50% are probably taking 2nd exit. (Effectively turning right)

From the opposite side, traffic has probably been calculated as much lower.(obvious), so a wide two lane exit is not required but you will have some vehicles slowing to go left (into sallins I assume) so a double yield (as they have used on other roundabouts for years) makes sense for the vehicles who may move to the right of the left turning vehicle.

Quite sensible if you think about it.

But too many people jump on something without thinking and throw ridiculous assertions about.

Example, left lane of m7 was said to be uneven. It was pointed out that the left lane simply was resurfaced and it suddenly was lane three.
    Or mid construction of the roundabout on Jct 10, a poster saying it was ridiculous that vehicles would have to drive to bundle of sticks roundabout to go to Newbridge.

But the best was a couple of weeks ago when a poster said that the half completed signs probably won't be finished - you could almost hear the disappointment when they signs were completed.

Where siac colas failed miserably was in how they communicated with the public. If they simply had a monthly blog every month, people would have been more understanding and the social media "experts" (who also seem to be covid experts too) would have had less to moan about.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭champchamp

Does a "soft opening" mean I can drive it from next week? I've been driving the Kill-Straffan road for the last 18 years, can't wait to get off it...

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Golden Horde

This looks odd (very minor I know)

Shouldn't it be either one lane, or two with a line between?

548307.jpg

Was up for a walk this evening.....lines now drawn on the road at this junction between the two triangles.

Was up for a walk this evening.....lines now drawn on the road at this junction between the two triangles.

Some people are going to be terribly disappointed with that, but I'm sure they'll find something else to find fault with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Surprised that didn't take a few weeks

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Some people are going to be terribly disappointed with that, but I'm sure they'll find something else to find fault with

I'd say it is more likely those who tried to claim those markings were correct will be terribly disappointed if that is now proven to not be the case.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    I'd say it is more likely those who tried to claim those markings were correct will be terribly disappointed if that is now proven to not be the case.

Not at all, I said that such markings are in place elsewhere, so could be valid.

If you want to check it's the urlingford junction of the M8 on the approach from urlingford.

But certain posters continually make assumptions that XY and Z is not done only to find that they are commenting on works in progress and not the finished works.

The mid construction comments about the roundabout on Jct 10 not being a roundabout was the funniest of them all.

At the end of the day, communication from the project was appalling and this festered the "catastrophe" comments from people because they didn't have much knowledge of the project

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Not at all, I said that such markings are in place elsewhere, so could be valid.

If you want to check it's the urlingford junction of the M8 on the approach from urlingford.

But certain posters continually make assumptions that XY and Z is not done only to find that they are commenting on works in progress and not the finished works.

The mid construction comments about the roundabout on Jct 10 not being a roundabout was the funniest of them all.

At the end of the day, communication from the project was appalling and this festered the "catastrophe" comments from people because they didn't have much knowledge of the project

Tell the truth Darc.... ye told the lads to fix it when ye got to site the other day after we pointed it out? I think you really appreciate our feedback :pac:

Tell the truth Darc.... ye told the lads to fix it when ye got to site the other day after we pointed it out? I think you really appreciate our feedback :pac:

Terrible trouble trying to explain it to them and had to translate the comments into Polish :D

But we got there in the end with a bit of masking tape and masonry paint - sure it will do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭traco

Drove down the ring road this morning. Looks like a fair bit of tidying up to be done on it yet.

I would guess at this stage it won't open until Tuesday/Wednesday at the earliest. Can't see them getting everything sorted and also being a bank holiday weekend with everyone off I doubt that they will take an risk in case there is an issue or problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭cargo

MYSTICA1 wrote: »

Well that's confirmation that the Sallins bypass will be open before 4th May as it's listed in that notice as an alternative route....

Now anyone got any closer dates?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 riggersmark

cargo wrote: »
    Well that's confirmation that the Sallins bypass will be open before 4th May as it's listed in that notice as an alternative route....

Now anyone got any closer dates?

I would imagine its getting very close as they have removed some of the black bag coverings that have been covering up the exit 9a signs for months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

MYSTICA1 wrote: »
    However ....

Irish Motorway Info website says the following. (I have no idea how reliable or otherwise this website is!)

The long suffering new M7 junction 9A is to open at the end of March. This piece of infrastructure has been repeatedly delayed and it's fair to say at this stage that we will believe it when we see it. Recently some work had to be redone to address deficiencies. Note that the Sallins bypass will not open at that time; for now the junction will only facilitate access to north Naas.

Another opening date comes and goes for J9a and still no movement.

Advertisement