Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

United Ireland Poll - please vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66,308 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Fann Linn wrote: »
    FF TD now looking for new Junior Minister position to be appointed for Border Poll/ Reunification portfolio. Always late to the party in fairness but at least it's being discussed.

You can almost physically hear them clamouring to get on to the bandwagon. Driven by the fear of SF capitalising on leading the way to a UI.

FF will fully return to their republican roots if O'Callaghan gets the leadership. He has a very well thought out rationale for a UI and doesn't have issues with a FF/SF coalition.
    More cynically, I think O'Callaghan and the wing of the party he has the support of, see it as a way of re-invigorating FF. They certainly don't want to be on the wrong side of history on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

A lot of people here saying Ireland can afford it.
    Tell me how much is going to come out of my pocket and i'll decide whether I can afford it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

You can almost physically hear them clamouring to get on to the bandwagon. Driven by the fear of SF capitalising on leading the way to a UI.

FF will fully return to their republican roots if O'Callaghan gets the leadership. He has a very well thought out rationale for a UI and doesn't have issues with a FF/SF coalition.
    More cynically, I think O'Callaghan and the wing of the party he has the support of, see it as a way of re-invigorating FF. They certainly don't want to be on the wrong side of history on it.

For me there is no republican party in this country at the moment simply because when it was an impossibility they were all saying the wanted it.
    Now when it is a real possibility they are dancing around the topic....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,568 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Tell me how much is going to come out of my pocket and i'll decide whether I can afford it myself.

When asked simply if you are in favour of a UI polls in ROI for a UI show 60%+ in favour but unsurprisingly when asked if it increased taxes it drops to only 30% with 48% against.

People claiming it would pass in a landslide are living in a dreamland

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭mehico

Maybe it will lead to an increase in the amount of money in your pocket?

• Advertisement

VinLieger wrote: »
    When asked simply if you are in favour of a UI polls in ROI for a UI show 60%+ in favour but unsurprisingly when asked if it increased taxes it drops to only 30% with 48% against.

People claiming it would pass in a landslide are living in a dreamland

People who think a proposal for a UI will be couched in terms of 'paying more tax' are also living in dreamland.

Very few will answer positively if asked do they want to pay MORE tax.
    However, if they are asked if they are willing to make an investment for their own benefit and more importantly, for their children, then they will answer differently.

We built the state we have on that willingness to look to the future, to see infrastructure spend as an investment etc.

mehico wrote: »

Maybe it will.
    Then i will consider that too if it does.
    Do you think it will?

People who think a proposal for a UI will be couched in terms of 'paying more tax' are also living in dreamland.

However, if they are asked if they are willing to make an investment for their own benefit and more importantly, for their children, then they will answer differently.

We built the state we have on that willingness to look to the future, to see infrastructure spend as an investment etc.

The problem with Nationalists is that they are like Unionists.

They think that there are only two realities.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭mehico

Maybe it will.
    Then i will consider that too if it does.
    Do you think it will?

I don't know if it will or not but I do think there should also be a conversation about the potential oportunities and benefits of a single island economy in the event of a UI.

I don't know if it will or not but I do think there should also be a conversation about the potential oportunities and benefits of a single island economy in the event of a UI.

Im sure both sides of the conversation will be heard alright.

• Advertisement

Should be a poll here that says
    "How much more will you personally accept in extra taxes/stealth taxes in order to have a united Ireland" :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,247 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Should be a poll here that says
    "How much more will you personally accept in extra taxes/stealth taxes in order to have a united Ireland" :)

That's easy, zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I think ireland should be divided into smaller waring fiefdoms and clans and use the ogham alphabet, you know, like the good old days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

The reality is that prior to lockdown hundreds of thousands of Mammy's boys and Daddy's little girls were living at home with their parents. The fact that many of these wastes of space were well into their 20s and 30s should be shameful and embarrassing. Instead this has been encouraged by government covid propaganda and handy PUP money.

The country's economy is destroyed - as a society and a country we are in deep deep deep trouble.

The military and security situation is waved aside by the walter mitty bedroom republicans - barstool republicans don't exist anymore thanks to nphet - who don't run or do push ups let alone know one end of a gun from another.

Defence Forces morale is below the basement and they are bleeding personel. They can only field a battalion at a time for UN operations. Our naval service have had to mothball ships because they can't crew them. Our Gardaí are dysfunctional and most importantly UNARMED.

Loyalist paramilitaries were always low tech. They created mayhem with riots and blocking streets with burning vehicles but most importantly by murdering innocent Catholics.

For every IRA spectacular - a bomb attack on the London financial district or an assassination of a politician or an attack that inflicted casualties on British troops the loyalists responded by killing a batch of innocent Catholics.

It worked. It demoralized the Catholic community.

For decades the Troubles left the south untouched. There were devastating bombings in 1974 but they were forgotten. A few Gardaí were shot but they are forgotten too.

Germany unified in 1990 with 100% of the people in support. Irish unification will lead to renewed sectarian conflict and it will pour over into the south who are unprepared for what's coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Zaph wrote: »
    And why exactly, outside of their commitments to pensions, would they want to do that if it's no longer part of the UK? Seriously, when it comes to the economic side of things there's nothing more than wishful thinking and pie in the sky blanket statements on this thread. Even being optimistic and saying that somehow NI could stand on its own two feet, economically speaking, within a decade of reunification, that's still an awful lot of money that the Irish government will have to find to keep them going in the meantime. We simply don't have that money, if we did don't you think we'd have a shiny new metro system in Dublin, or high quality rail connections throughout the country, etc.?

the reason dublin doesn't have a metro, and there aren't more rail services around the country, is not due to lack of money but due to political will and the continued 1960s belief that big multi-billion road projects are the sollution to everything transport related.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

the reason dublin doesn't have a metro, and there aren't more rail services around the country, is not due to lack of money but due to political will and the continued 1960s belief that big multi-billion road projects are the sollution to everything transport related.

Now that is something we can all agree on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

The Question of Scotland's independence will need to brought into the equation.
    If Scotland gains independence and this is a more likely scenario than Ireland's re-unification, then who are the Loyalists loyal to?
    Britian will no longer exist, It'll be just England and Wales tagging along.
    Will they be loyal to the Crown only?
    The Firm is fracturing and is not going to last much longer, maybe one more reign if that.
    So whatever way it pans out the notion, the idea, the intangible concept that Loyalists are loyal to will change and disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

For all those wanting a UI. What is your red line in terms of items you will give up to secure a UI?
    Join Commenwealth?
    Change national anthem?
    Red Post boxes?
    Chanfe flag etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,575 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

We owe it to the men of 1916 and all who lost their lives in the troubles to create a united Ireland if the opportunity arises.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 17,568 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

We owe it to the men of 1916 and all who lost their lives in the troubles to create a united Ireland if the opportunity arises.

All who lost their lives in the troubles? Does that include those who died but also actively murdered innocent people? Also what about the unionsists who died? I don't think they'd be happy with someone pushing for a UI in their name....

Generalizations don't do well when discussing a UI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

For all those wanting a UI. What is your red line in terms of items you will give up to secure a UI?
    Join Commenwealth?
    Change national anthem?
    Red Post boxes?
    Chanfe flag etc....

you are getting carried away here.
    there isn't going to be red post boxes, a neutral color is most likely if we are changing the color.
    as for rejoining the common wealth, it's not going to happen as it's a dead duck and we already trade with the couple of nations out of it that aren't basket cases, so there would be no incentive or reason to join it especially given the unionist community's wish to keep their british identity and citizenship will have to be upheld as part of a UI.
    not sure the flag will need to be changed as it is inclusive.
    the national anthem may change but realistically is there any point? we are never going to have god save the queen as our anthem so it would probably be change for the sake of it.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,650 ✭✭✭✭maccored

well remember regardless of how the poll ends the shinners will claim to have won anyway :pac::pac::pac:

a poll on boards :rolleyes: - yeah sure the shinners would be terrified of that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Join Commenwealth?
    Change national anthem?
    Red Post boxes?
    Chanfe flag etc....

50.01% will do for me.
    Either way will do as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,575 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

VinLieger wrote: »
    All who lost their lives in the troubles? Does that include those who died but also actively murdered innocent people? Also what about the unionsists who died? I don't think they'd be happy with someone pushing for a UI in their name....

Generalizations don't do well when discussing a UI

They all fought for a cause, for our country, my respect for them is huge I can only wish to have been involved and I include both sides of the civil war.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Join Commenwealth?
    Change national anthem?
    Red Post boxes?
    Chanfe flag etc....

I can't think of any. I would have no issue with flags or anthems at all, (what's a post box? haven't used one in years) the one nearest me is green and has the crown of Victoria on it still. Never cost me a thought and I would fight to preserve it for it's heritage value, same as all the remnants of our British heritage around)

I would be vehemently against re-joining the Commonwealth as it's head is a monarch and I am against the concept of monarchies anywhere and because it could conflict with our EU membership if it was to be turned into a rival trade bloc as Boris once talked about. But if a majority wanted to do it...I would go with the majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Given it currently requires a £10bn UK subvention, then that's unlikely. Currently, Dublin based tax revenue is subsidizing the other regions, so NI wlll just add an extra burden.

That "investment" only returns a lot of angry unionists. I don't think anyone is interested in paying more tax for that. There are zero investment returns in favour of southern taxpayers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,650 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Given it currently requires a £10bn UK subvention, then that's unlikely. Currently, Dublin based tax revenue is subsidizing the other regions, so NI wlll just add an extra burden.

That "investment" only returns a lot of angry unionists. I don't think anyone is interested in paying more tax for that. There are zero investment returns in favour of southern taxpayers.

youre miles ahead of the posse obviously as you have the financials and everything all worked out before its even been discussed

The vast majority of Unionists are moderate decent hardworking people. They are also extremely pragmatic people as evidenced by their getting on with things after the GFA which was a difficult pill to swallow for many of them as well as republicans.

The moderate Unionists I know would be assets to any country.

I dont believe there is any way in hell this is happening where we dont end up paying more taxes.
    Maybe there will be some money from Europe or the Uk for 10 years or so to fool us into thinking its zero sum, so we only notice after 10 years.
    Maybe there will be stealth taxes that can cover it.
    I know a lot of people up the North. The lack of NHS really scares them if there was a united Ireland. That will hit them in the pockets.
    Maybe the NHS will still cover them for a few years after the move. God help them after that though :) They wont know what hit them when they go to the Doctor or hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Join Commenwealth?
    Change national anthem?
    Red Post boxes?
    Chanfe flag etc....

Joining the commonwealth would be contrary to a UI IMO.
    Cool with the anthem, flag whatever being changed. Feel the flag should be changed in the event.

I think people need to realise this is not about 'da brits' or hating on them. It no doubt is for some but it's wrong to apply that to everyone seeking a UI.

Advertisement