Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

United Ireland Poll - please vote

• 24-03-2021 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Simple question - if there was a poll for a United Ireland would you vote yes or no - or yes but it would have to happen within 10 years.

Assumptions - there is economic sense to it and that Ireland can afford it.

The majority of the north want it and opinion polls are showing this. The background work has been done and the unionists though far from happy have reluctantly agreed with accepting the vote's result.

United Ireland - what would you vote for? 1575 votes

Yes -let's have a United Ireland asap
    42% 663 votes
    No - let's leave things as they are
    24% 389 votes
    Yes - but within 10 years when everything is fully agreed
    33% 523 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Thats a lot of assumptions

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭bonzothedog

Yes but they are obvious assumtions to make i think or else it wouldn't come to a vote?

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Not a chance. Why would we want to bring in another 300,000 SF voters into this country? Alongside about a million Unionists who hate all of us.

It's as logical as saying why don't we merge our house with the neighbour house, and create a single family in a bigger house. Absurd and a recipe for disaster.

Just wait until we talk about the taxes going up to pay for it. Won't be the shinners paying for it, will be the middle classes and the higher rate taxpayers.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,451 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

NO not a hope we cant afford them .
    Also we will be the ones expected to change our flag our national anthem all this kinds stuff ,
    Estate are still separated by large walls , children schools are segregated how in gods name do people think we can Unite ?
    its far more hassle for everyone than its worth at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 16,229 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Not a chance. Why would we want to bring in another 300,000 SF voters into this country? Alongside about a million Unionists who hate all of us.

It's as logical as saying why don't we merge our house with the neighbour house, and create a single family in a bigger house. Absurd and a recipe for disaster.

Just wait until we talk about the taxes going up to pay for it. Won't be the shinners paying for it, will be the middle classes and the higher rate taxpayers.

This exactly.

Any United Ireland would result in a civil war waged by Unionists. It's as if we don't know how stupid and petty those people are.

Innocent lives would be lost and we simply couldn't support the benefit receivers up there nor find employment for all the civil servants they have.

A United Ireland is a nice idea, but the reality isn't worth thinking about. Let sleeping dogs lie.

Maybe in 50 years when the Unionists are a small minority up there we could consider it, but even then they'd be even more militant than they are now.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

... opinion polls are showing this....

Must be right so

• Registered Users Posts: 9 king_gizzard

Would this forum not skew towards a slightly older/conservative demographic? Dunno if you could glean a lot from a poll here.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,025 ✭✭✭✭neris

No way let the Brits keep them, we have enough problems as is it. Woudl probably be in the best interests of both britain and ireland if the north could just be cut away from the south and pulled away by a few tugs off to some spot in the middle of the atlantic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Well that's ironic to say the least :D
    Why change the border situation if it means people you don't like get to have a vote in the democratic process? :rolleyes:

We'd high employment pre pandemic. Where are all these unemployed work shy shinners? :confused:

Can I ask about the people don't vote SF who want a UI, like Simon Coveney, Enda Kenny, Bertie Ahern, etc. etc.? **** them?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,451 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Would this forum not skew towards a slightly older/conservative demographic? Dunno if you could glean a lot from a poll here.

Like I said I'm against it & I'm neither old (late 30's) or conservative ,

The idea is great I just can't see how it works without causing absolute hell for the people who find life tough enough already in the south ,It'll be a finical disaster for us as a country even more so just coming out of the pandemic ,

Sounds great but it won't work on so many levels,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Have two countries ever merged together successfully let alone peacefully?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,019 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

That doesn't show up when there are general election polls.

In the election polls, you usually see much higher support for Sinn Fein, PBP, Solidarity and the Greens than you see in the real election. If I remember it correctly, it was the Social Democrats who really outperformed last time out, going very big in the poll on here.

Generally speaking, support for FG and FF are much much lower on here than in real life - certainly in this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,795 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

East & West Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,055 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,495 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Germany was one country that simply divided and reunited.

Completely different to a UI with Irish and British..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,055 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

walshb wrote: »
    Germany was one country that simply divided and reunited.

Completely different to a UI with Irish and British..

The question asked was had two countries successfully and peacefully merged. Obvious answer was Germany. You're introducing a different issue regarding nationality which wasn't asked in the original question.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

East & West Germany.

Peacefully. But not successfully. The East German states are still economically on life support dependent on outside investment and public sector jobs. Very like Northern Ireland actually.

And it cost West German taxpayers about €2 trillion euro, with a 5% "solidarity tax" on every pay cheque. How do people feel about paying an additional 5% or 10% of their wages in tax for the North?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Assumptions - there is economic sense to it and that Ireland can afford it.

And of course that we'd have no objection to our sons & daughters being conscripted into the army, soldiers and garda coming home from NI in body bags, the messy stuff you'd prefer not to talk about....

Together with a much more conservative electorate which might easily see the reversal of divorce, gay marriage etc...

A poll taken out of the context of election time is meaningless because people have not got a chance to consider all the issues.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

East & West Germany.
    namloc1980 wrote: »
    Germany.

OK then taking a leaf out of their book, we'll do it when the Unionists start swarming over the boarder demanding unification.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,019 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Peacefully. But not successfully. The East German states are still economically on life support dependent on outside investment and public sector jobs. Very like Northern Ireland actually.

And it cost West German taxpayers about €2 trillion euro, with a 5% "solidarity tax" on every pay cheque. How do people feel about paying an additional 5% or 10% of their wages in tax for the North?

Exactly and the relative size and strength of the West German economy made East Germany less of a burden than Northern Ireland would be to the South.

There have been 100 years of divergence between the North and South. This contrasts with less than half that for West and East Germany. The size of the task is greater, the weight on the Southern taxpayer is heavier and all that is before you add in the sectarian and religious issues of the North.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭gifted

Oh God no thank you....that accent....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

A united Ireland... No thanks. Far too much trouble and I don't fancy what the loyalists would start doing if that happened. The Republic can not afford it anyway.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

I know a German from Bavaria, who looked like I'd handed them a lemon to suck when I asked about the 'new' Germany. Basically the sentiment was "they couldn't run their place on their own, now its costing us to keep them afloat - and for what???". Had a VERY dim view of East Germans, which surprised me as they were 'Germans' a generation ago. Sounds like they (East) were used to every thing being provided by the state (never mind the quality...) and have no idea how to provide for themselves. But that's just my interpretation of my friend's rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Honestly, I'd rather we built a wall for the entire 499 km of the border than had a united Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Czechoslavakia, Germany, Italy, Poland come to mind.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

gifted wrote: »
    Oh God no thank you....that accent....

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭boogerballs

What can really be gained from a United Ireland truthfully, what is the point of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,126 ✭✭✭screamer

Didn't read the assumptions here, I know my gut feeling on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭eire4

I voted yes. Having an all Ireland economy will be better in the long run for everyone and as this pandemic showed in the here and now having one all island approach to major issues is much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,514 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Needs a 4th option along the lines of 'whenever everything is agreed' rather than 'within 10 years'.

I don't believe we are within 10 years of a United Ireland.

Advertisement