Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N22 - Macroom to Ballyvourney (Macroom Bypass) [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

100 out of 280 workers on site at the minute

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40222145.html

Also advises of road closures coming up at Kilnagurteen and Clonfadda. That’ll mean that there will be structure work underway on every crossing of the Macroom bypass section.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 mercedeslimos

marno21 wrote: »
    100 out of 280 workers on site at the minute

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40222145.html

Also advises of road closures coming up at Kilnagurteen and Clonfadda. That’ll mean that there will be structure work underway on every crossing of the Macroom bypass section.

I've got a buddy living a few hundred yards from the crossing at Clonfadda. Microscopic little road and some lovely houses that will be directly overlooked by the road, wonder what will happen to house prices, can't tell if the better road connection will raise them, or the direct proximity will lower them :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

There are 3 sites, one already building on, stuck up against the N22 near the Farran Well pub. Doesn't seem to bother some.

Water John wrote: »
    There are 3 sites, one already building on, stuck up against the N22 near the Farran Well pub. Doesn't seem to bother some.

Yep seen those the last few years. Couldn't hack that myself. Many a morning I'd be stuck in traffic there and you'd be able to look into the houses. Just a tad close to the road for my liking, but each to their own!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Latest drone footage of the Sullane/R618/Laney bridges

And the latest from the Foherish bridge (+ footage around Carrigaphooca)

Work has not stopped on these 4 bridges as a result of the construction lockdown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Great videos. The scale of the works on the elevated section between the first two bridges on the Eastern side video is quite impressive. That section should be quite something when it is completed.

Big concrete pour completed recently on the 121m Bohill bridge behind Ballyvourney. This is on the intermediate pier separating two spans of 80.5m and 40.5m. The steel beams coming in from Spain are for this bridge

http://www.n22bbm.ie/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/S03-Bohill-River-Bridge-Concrete-Pour-Dec-2020.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭NedNew2

Big concrete pour completed recently on the 121m Bohill bridge behind Ballyvourney. This is on the intermediate pier separating two spans of 80.5m and 40.5m. The steel beams coming in from Spain are for this bridge

http://www.n22bbm.ie/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/S03-Bohill-River-Bridge-Concrete-Pour-Dec-2020.pdf

I like that it is written in Irish first, well done and more of the same is welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

The project runs through a Gaeltacht, so all official communications have to be provided in Irish. Generally, I think it would be good to see more of these, if only to show that you can talk about modern things in Irish too...

The Western section around Baile Bhuirne and Baile Mhic Íre. Lesser spotted among drone videos. This section is very advanced in parts

Coolyhane Road Upper to close from March 29th to April 9th.

The local road that turns off just before the new N22 alignment at Ballyveerane is also closing, Monday 22nd March til Friday 26th.

• Advertisement

Passed the new section of the Bohill bridge today. This morning the metal sections weren't up, by 9 pm this evening the sections were in place high above. Impressive work.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

NedNew2 wrote: »
    I like that it is written in Irish first, well done and more of the same is welcome.

If only their signposts were the same...in two languages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

The Western section around Baile Bhuirne and Baile Mhic Íre. Lesser spotted among drone videos. This section is very advanced in parts
    What a great video. As well as admiring the work that has been done, the scenery looks really great on what was a beautiful sunny day.

The scenery on the N22 on the Kerry side is better for now, but maybe this new road will allow people to appreciate what's on the Cork side too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

It must be fake, its never sunny in that part of the world!

That Bohill Viaduct is going to be quite impressive from the road and from below when its done.

More from the kamikaze drone pilot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Remember when 6 stills of a construction project would have been exciting. We are so fortunate to live in an era when the enormous scale of the project can be revealed so readily.

Something about his videos makes you feel like you're cruising the new road at 123.5 kmh listening to Chris Isaak with the volume up.

Thank you for linking

• Registered Users Posts: 37 wingfo

Amazing footage love the music

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭cantalach

I love the errant bovine at 4:21.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

cantalach wrote: »
    I love the errant bovine at 4:21.

The long acre

Information from the contractors regarding rock breaking which has been taking place recently between Tonn Láin and the existing N22 crossing.

http://www.n22bbm.ie/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/N22BBM-Rock-Removal-at-Toonlane.pdf

• Advertisement

In a Kevin Keegan accent: "I just love it!"
    Hibernicis wrote: »
    Remember when 6 stills of a construction project would have been exciting. We are so fortunate to live in an era when the enormous scale of the project can be revealed so readily.
    You're right, but these videos really set a new bar, though. All the boardsie roadies will be insistent on him being part of every contract from now on!

I love the bit done in reverse, where you can see the cars going backwards - made me feel like I was watching Tenet again!

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

New road layout on millstreet Road opened today by Teerbeg.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭NedNew2

It would be great if someone could record a video of the current road for those of us who are not so familiar with the area. It'll make for a great comparison when the new road opens.

NedNew2 wrote: »
    It would be great if someone could record a video of the current road for those of us who are not so familiar with the area. It'll make for a great comparison when the new road opens.
    Google StreetView is your only man.

And for the authentic experience, just imagine yourself being stuck behind this tractor at Lissacressig ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

If you go a little bit further down that road theres a queue of traffic and a crash!!!

https://goo.gl/maps/WJsbnPFnZJmYPkUH9

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭rounders

If you go a little bit further down that road theres a queue of traffic and a crash!!!

Jesus I thought google would crop or blur that out! Sums up the road in one though

aisling86 wrote: »
    New road layout on millstreet Road opened today by Teerbeg.

Wow didn’t even see this being built from the main road.

Big realignment.

Workers out today at the Mill Road overpass. From what I can tell that’s the entire scheme back now since the Level 5 lockdown

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

serfboard wrote: »
    Google StreetView is your only man.

And for the authentic experience, just imagine yourself being stuck behind this tractor at Lissacressig ...

It's so crazy that this is the main road linking our second city with one of the biggest tourist areas of Ireland, and for so long.

I often think of just how quiet the current road will be when the bypass fully opens. Suppose you'd still have a little bit of localised traffic, perhaps it might still actually be quicker to use the old road to go between Ballyvourney-Macroom instead of getting on and off the bypass? I wonder might the old road even be quiet enough to safely go for a cycle/run?

It's so crazy that this is the main road linking our second city with one of the biggest tourist areas of Ireland, and for so long.

I often think of just how quiet the current road will be when the bypass fully opens. Suppose you'd still have a little bit of localised traffic, perhaps it might still actually be quicker to use the old road to go between Ballyvourney-Macroom instead of getting on and off the bypass? I wonder might the old road even be quiet enough to safely go for a cycle/run?

It’ll def be busy from Macroom to the Mons Bar junction. West of there will be very quiet.

The Ballyvourney junction is about 100m from the existing road, and the Millstreet Road junction in Macroom is quite close to the town. It’ll def be quicker using the bypass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Can’t see any way that the old road will be faster.

The only thing is that the old road would be more enjoyable as long as the road ahead is free.

Advertisement