Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest Top 100 courses in Ireland how many have you played?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭mk7775

Making me very jealous with 52!! 18 played for me at the moment, booked into Carne and Westport this year so far, hope to hit a few more!

Have played 35 of that list so far. Hopefully get to play a few more this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭willabur

30 for me. Should be able to boost that this year

Booked in to add Waterville, Dooks and Tralee to the list in september
    I'd like to get around the ones around dublin which I haven't yet played
    St Margarets, The Island, Balbriggan, Laytown&Bettystown & st annes should be doable
    also planning a spin up to donegal at some point, will knock off a few up there. Would be doing well to get 40 in before end of the year

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

93, still have to do both courses at RCD, after that I can pick away at remainder.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Par72

I've played 53 of them. Top 20 feels a bit links-heavy. I know we are known for our links courses but I always feel like the parklands get a bit hard done by in these rankings. The exception being Ballinrobe that I wouldn't put anywhere near the top 100 courses in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Only 8 for myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭willabur

slave1 wrote: »
    93, still have to do both courses at RCD, after that I can pick away at remainder.

serious going

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭paulos53

I have played 49. A good number of them would not have been played without the Boards society.

I also played Hogs Head when it was Skellig Bay and Adare Manor before the revamp but I didn't count the 2 of them in my list

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Only played 15 looking at last years list, need to update my Excel file now and count up, i doubt it has changed.

Edit - 16 on the updated list, Ballinrobe I didn't have on the list i was working too. Hoping to get 5 of these at least this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

37 of them. Looking back over them I think I have played 36 of these courses with people from boards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭thewobbler

I’ve played 48.

Some bizarre ones. Notably how Galgorm has climbed about 50 places in the past 3 years. Note to editor: it may have hosted an Irish Open, but it’s still a boring golf course.

At least they got no.1 right!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

34, must try to bring that up to about 40 this year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

RoadRunner wrote: »
    37 of them. Looking back over them I think I have played 36 of these courses with people from boards!

same here - 37 as well.

thewobbler wrote: »
    I’ve played 48.

Some bizarre ones. Notably how Galgorm has climbed about 50 places in the past 3 years. Note to editor: it may have hosted an Irish Open, but it’s still a boring golf course.

At least they got no.1 right!

Agreed, very under whelming course, same with Farnham due to condition.
    I loved Doonbeg but the greens are horrible, don't know how it's that high.
    Some weird placings alright

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Concerned2

9 for me that includes Adare under the old design (when it was somewhat affordable). I'm surprised Dundrum in Tipperary didn't squeeze into the list somewhere. It's years since I played it but unless a lot has changed it was miles ahead of the likes of Ballinrobe & Castletroy , more in line with Dromoland IMHO.
    Druids Glen must have gone down hill over the years. I watched the 2002 Seve trophy there and it was immaculate. I was at the 2002 WGC event in Mount Juliet and Druids Glen was more impressive.
    I was in Lahinch one sunny day last summer with the family and I was drooling walking by the golf course, it looks amazing :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

23 for me.

No Knightsbrook?

Monty ahead of Glen, Juliet,Headfort,Luttrelstown and Lough Erne is a hell of a stretch. I like the Montgomerie course but thats crazy IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 34,038 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

11 here. Mostly the Munster ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

mk7775 wrote: »
    Making me very jealous with 52!! 18 played for me at the moment, booked into Carne and Westport this year so far, hope to hit a few more!

It used to quite small and generally my own course but in the last few years have started to take half days and do opens mainly course within an hour an half of Dublin. Then a few trips away to Donegal/Sligo. Wouldn't mind doing golf trip around belfast area at some stage to try those courses.

Staying in a house in Fota Island in the Summer and friend staying in Castlemartyr, think I will get away with one round. Don't think the family would be impressed with 2 both are similar enough in the rankings - which would people recommend of those 2?

Fota, Castlemartyr is probably the best "links style" inland course we have, but Fota is super and a true parkland top course

• Registered Users Posts: 24 AnBeagalltach

I wonder if (when you include lurkers) there are members of all 100 clubs that visit the forum?

When people mention in other threads that they would love to play x or y course at some stage I always wonder if there are most likely members of those courses on the board that would gladly take them out for a pittance if only they know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

30 for me

• Registered Users Posts: 20,710 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

slave1 wrote: »

Fair play as they are all over Ireland North and South - how on earth did you do it. And over how long.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,710 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I've put a big effort into this - and still not that impressive with 59.

In general the North and Parklands kill me. Made good progress on the links.

But there are a batch of very hard course to get to - that are a full weekend away to play.

Westport
    Dingle
    Connemara

Then a few bizarre ones that I should have played but never have - or even got near playing
    K Club
    Bunclody
    Killarney
    Watervillie
    Tramore
    Tullfaris
    Powerscourt (amazing I never played there)

I can't ever see myself going up the North to play a parkland - just can't see it - as I'm on the way to a Links.

As for how long I'm at this - can see a time I totally forget a course I played - not yet, but some of the ones is coming up on 25 years - it almost becomes pointless after 25 years. You kinda have to go back at that point.

Covid has made me think a bit about course in Dublin I have not played. There are a good few on the south side - I'm going to play in the next few years - I haven't even played ""The" Grange"" - or Castle. I could go over there and play them in 4 hours. If they let me in.

I haven't given fully up on it yet. Will most certainly get all the Links done - but it takes so much time and effort , it is nearly time to go back and play the ones you loved again as time goes by.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭thewobbler

I've put a big effort into this - and still not that impressive with 59.

In general the North and Parklands kill me. Made good progress on the links.

But there are a batch of very hard course to get to - that are a full weekend away to play.

Westport
    Dingle
    Connemara

Then a few bizarre ones that I should have played but never have - or even got near playing
    K Club
    Bunclody
    Killarney
    Watervillie
    Tramore
    Tullfaris
    Powerscourt (amazing I never played there)

I can't ever see myself going up the North to play a parkland - just can't see it - as I'm on the way to a Links.

As for how long I'm at this - can see a time I totally forget a course I played - not yet, but some of the ones is coming up on 25 years - it almost becomes pointless after 25 years. You kinda have to go back at that point.

Covid has made me think a bit about course in Dublin I have not played. There are a good few on the south side - I'm going to play in the next few years - I haven't even played ""The" Grange"" - or Castle. I could go over there and play them in 4 hours. If they let me in.

I haven't given fully up on it yet. Will most certainly get all the Links done - but it takes so much time and effort , it is nearly time to go back and play the ones you loved again as time goes by.

I’ve a similar thing going on. I’ve never played golf in counties Cork, Kerry, Clare, Limerick or Galway. One day I’m hoping to take a week and cross off the south west.

But with Ballyliffin x2, the new Rosapenna, Portstewart and Portsalon to crack through on one side, and Royal Dublin, St Anne’s, Portmarnock and Arklow on the either, I’ve plenty of closer hunting to be doing first.

Not sure I’d ever drive > 2 hrs for a parkland again to be honest. West Scotland is only 3 hours from my front door and it’s a calling too!

Fair play as they are all over Ireland North and South - how on earth did you do it. And over how long.

Just got to commit to it and not be afraid to BnB those courses further away, I did cover about half of them when I was lucky enough to be on the Golf Digest panel of reviewers for 3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

25 for me but already have booked 3 of the top 20 for this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭ridonkulous

68 for me over about 20 years of golfing. I can't believe it is as many as that but there you go. Had big plans to add to that last year but we all know what scuppered that. Not gonna let this summer pass by without adding at least a half dozen of the great links courses.

The biggest surprise on the list for me was to see Portsalon ahead of Portstewart. Both fantastic links courses and there is no doubt a few holes on the back 9 in Portstewart lets it down but definitely a better 18 holes of golf for me. But don't get me wrong I would gladly play either for the rest of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Par72

I've seen it suggested that this list is skewed to favour courses that host the magazine's events.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭blue note

I've played 19 of them. I thought it was a decent amount, but I'm a long way behind most people here!

I'm hoping to get a couple of days in sligo or donegal over the summer so might add a couple. I won't reach 25 by year end though.

Based on what I've played there are some strange listings, but that's always the way. The best course I've played is narin & portnoy. If I'm in donegal again I'll try to play that again rather than increase my tally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

46. Thought I would have played more. Kerry and the North will have to be visited next.

Advertisement