Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Gas* BBQ/Grilling

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,031 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I'm going to make my own for my Kamado bench.
    Its approx 2.4m x 500mm .

Pattern & sewing I can handle but what material ?
    I'm thinking of getting one or two big ground sheets or tarps etc .
    Any other suggestions ?

I got a quote for a custom made one from kover-it.co.uk and it was £250 :eek:
    Almost as much the bench cost to make!

Might be no harm to price a cover from Cunningham Trailer Covers, near Naas Oil. I've sent a few there, and they all came home with a great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Well, it's time to offer your services to the community! I will pay up to 2 euro over cost of materials. :D

beertons wrote: »
    Might be no harm to price a cover from Cunningham Trailer Covers, near Naas Oil. I've sent a few there, and they all came home with a great job.

I'll have a look. My neck of the woods too .
    I'd like to be able to open the middle so I can use the kamado over winter.

Well, it's time to offer your services to the community! I will pay up to 2 euro over cost of materials. :D

Never again!!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,031 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I'll have a look. My neck of the woods too .
    I'd like to be able to open the middle so I can use the kamado over winter.

Recognised the name from the Naas thread, might be no harm to try them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Hi All, first time poster in this thread!

Probably a crap first question,but need some advice on a new bbq/grill purchase.

I've have a small 5 year old BBQ (100e) which served a purpose,but only ever useful for throwing a few burgers on. Anytime we put the bbq on,its usually when we had a few people over to justify the effort!

I do like to cook, and have done bbq ribs, pork etc in the oven over the years but want to invest some money in a decent bbq/grill as I know is something I would use all year around if I had it.

My initial budget was around 300-400 for a 3 burner,but the more I look in to things the more I think I should invest more in something I can use year around. Im terrible at analysing things to death before purchasing!

The brand that is taking my fancy is the Char-broil tru infrared 3 or 4 (burner) series.
    Prices are pretty eye watering (500-600+), so not sure if I am a bit mad to be going for them. Over the last few years I have tried to avoid being penny-wise,pound foolish...so I can justify paying that bit extra.

Any thoughts/opinions welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Really, I think, with gas you should be looking at it as just a grill. Yes, you can do low and slow if you want but your oven will probably do a better job.
    I love my gas grill but it's really just a way of searing at high heat without smoking the house out, for me.
    I also do most of my fish on the grill outdoors.

I have a Broil King 3 burner that I'm very happy with.

Some cheaper ones don't have very consistent heat over the grill area. I think you get what you pay for, mostly.

LowOdour wrote: »
    Hi All, first time poster in this thread!

Probably a crap first question,but need some advice on a new bbq/grill purchase.

I've have a small 5 year old BBQ (100e) which served a purpose,but only ever useful for throwing a few burgers on. Anytime we put the bbq on,its usually when we had a few people over to justify the effort!

I do like to cook, and have done bbq ribs, pork etc in the oven over the years but want to invest some money in a decent bbq/grill as I know is something I would use all year around if I had it.

My initial budget was around 300-400 for a 3 burner,but the more I look in to things the more I think I should invest more in something I can use year around. Im terrible at analysing things to death before purchasing!

The brand that is taking my fancy is the Char-broil tru infrared 3 or 4 (burner) series.
    Prices are pretty eye watering (500-600+), so not sure if I am a bit mad to be going for them. Over the last few years I have tried to avoid being penny-wise,pound foolish...so I can justify paying that bit extra.

Any thoughts/opinions welcome

I got a Phoenix 4 burner bbq for 500-600 in woodies last year. Very happy with it. Pork chops and chicken thighs turn out amazing. Reverse seared steaks are amazing too. You wouldn’t use it for smoking, but for indirect and direct cooking, it’s super easy to use. I use it all year round. Buy a GOOD cover (woodies ones are horrible) on Amazon.

https://www.101cookingfortwo.com/category/grill/
    This site is pretty good. Great chicken thighs and pork chops

Really, I think, with gas you should be looking at it as just a grill. Yes, you can do low and slow if you want but your oven will probably do a better job.
    I love my gas grill but it's really just a way of searing at high heat without smoking the house out, for me.
    I also do most of my fish on the grill outdoors.

I have a Broil King 3 burner that I'm very happy with.

Some cheaper ones don't have very consistent heat over the grill area. I think you get what you pay for, mostly.

I guess your last point is interesting...is there a budget /brand that will give you good results without breaking the bank?

Since my original question, i though if I would be better spending 300ish on a gas bbq grill, and 200ish on a good charcoal bbq (i.e Webber) and possibly get best of both worlds

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thejaguar

Since my original question, i though if I would be better spending 300ish on a gas bbq grill, and 200ish on a good charcoal bbq (i.e Webber) and possibly get best of both worlds

If it was me, I'd do that - although the other way around. €200 on a Weber will only get you the basic kettle - a little more will get you something that will give you more options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭bambam26

Hi

Has anyone used a Pizza stone for there Gas BBQ, how do they find it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

bambam26 wrote: »
    Hi

Has anyone used a Pizza stone for there Gas BBQ, how do they find it ?

Worked fairly well but the "direct heat" side of it can burn easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The problem you have with pizza and a gas bbq is there’s no way of heating the top of the pizza. Sure the base will be nice and crispy but you have to stick the pizza under a hot grill afterwards to cook it completely.

Plus it can get too hot and the stone breaks - I’ve lost quite a few that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

I don't use a pizza stone for cooking on a gas BBQ. Followed the advice here and it works perfectly
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfMAfesUHOY
    I actually take out the pizza base to apply the toppings, instead of doing it over the grill

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭Glebee

Anyone see any deals out there for gas bbqs, couple of interesting prices for Argos and Homestore & More units...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Glebee wrote: »
    Anyone see any deals out there for gas bbqs, couple of interesting prices for Argos and Homestore & More units...

Woodies have a good sale on at the mo. Was in there at the weekend and they're setting up the BBQ section with new stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Glebee wrote: »

I think the Home Store and More BBQ sale is next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭con747

I think the Home Store and More BBQ sale is next month.

It's on now, 1/3 off BBQ's https://www.homestoreandmore.ie/bbq-accessories

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

con747 wrote: »

Any idea on the quality of the master cook grills?

Any idea on the quality of the master cook grills?

I would say the quality is ok. If you leave them outside all year round don't expect them to last for more than a few years. I have one that goes in the shed from October to March and on year 3 I'm not sure if it'll be around for year 4 - it might but it definitely won't see year 5.

• Advertisement

con747 wrote: »
    Ask on the Gas BBQ thread about them. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058003922
    Someone might know.

Em...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭con747

Em...

Ooops

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 girodav

Has anyone been able to buy a 11kg patio gas cylinder recently? I rang few places that normally deliver them and they are all out of stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Pipmae

girodav wrote: »
    Has anyone been able to buy a 11kg patio gas cylinder recently? I rang few places that normally deliver them and they are all out of stock.

Have you a cylinder to return? Where have you tried? Lots of smaller shops sell them and also fuel stations.

I just looked at the Flogas website and they're sold out!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Pipmae wrote: »
    Have you a cylinder to return? Where have you tried? Lots of smaller shops sell them and also fuel stations.

I found it extremely difficult to find anyone willing to give me one without an empty to return last year.
    I just kept trying different places.

If you need a cylinder it's worth putting a post up on your local FaceBook page or similar looking for one. Some people have them lying around unused as a BBQ or patio heater or whatever has stopped working.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 girodav

Pipmae wrote: »

No cylinder to return (I just bought my first gas BBQ). I tried mainly online shops (flogas that you mentioned, outdoor scene, etc) and all of them told me that they have no availability at the moment.
    I'll try some smaller shop or fuel stations :)

No cylinder to return (I just bought my first gas BBQ). I tried mainly online shops (flogas that you mentioned, outdoor scene, etc) and all of them told me that they have no availability at the moment.
    I'll try some smaller shop or fuel stations :)

My local Centra stocks them. They're not always on display but ask at the counter. That's where I bought my very first cylinder.

If you are in North Co Dublin the Hilltop Stores shop in Malahide stock them.

I got one last week in a local Londis. They seemed to have plenty.

• Advertisement

Got one in DunLaoghaire

Advertisement