Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Australian Open 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭Augme

Osaka was immense against serena. Brady just about falling over the line against Muchova at the end their, almost like both of them were trying not to win.

I'll be very impressed if brady manages to win a set, let alone the match in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭hamburgham

lostcat wrote: »
    Maybe having a bye is why it took him a while to find his range.

Also wondering if the quietness of the stadium helped his concentration. No hysterical cheering to distract him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭Floppybits

lostcat wrote: »
    Maybe having a bye is why it took him a while to find his range.

I was surprised to see Tsisitipas win that match and from 2 sets down. I had him down as being flakey like Zverev. Will have to rethink this now. I can't see him beating Medvedev. I like Medvedev he is as tough as nails.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

How did this lad make the semi finals. He's 27 and I'd never heard of him til this week. He was ranked around 250 in the world as the ATP tour resumed last year. He had never even qualified for a first round of a grand slam before. Now he's in the semi finals?

Sorry, but if this was athletics or cycling, people would be asking doping related questions right now.

Yet in tennis, nothing.

Remember a question is not an accusation but there are never any questions asked in this sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Chivito550 wrote: »
    How did this lad make the semi finals. He's 27 and I'd never heard of him til this week. He was ranked around 250 in the world as the ATP tour resumed last year. He had never even qualified for a first round of a grand slam before. Now he's in the semi finals?

Sorry, but if this was athletics or cycling, people would be asking doping related questions right now.

Yet in tennis, nothing.

Remember a question is not an accusation but there are never any questions asked in this sport.

Injured his whole life - i think medvedev said a few months ago that he was Russia's secret weapon as long as he can stay fit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,621 ✭✭✭✭josip

Chivito550 wrote: »

Yet in tennis, nothing.

Well he only got to the semis because of Dimitrov's injury.
    He beat Auger-Aliassime because he went to the toilet.
    He says his new coach is the best yet.
    4 years ago, he was out for 6 months with a knee injury, could take a while to come back.
    Moved around a lot when he was younger.
    Last 12 months has disrupted a lot of the top players, perhaps the lower ranked players are better able to handle change and having to adjust.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,621 ✭✭✭✭josip

Whatever happens in the final Djokovic can have no excuses.
    Nice handy 3 setter in the semi.
    Extra day to recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

He said after the match he feels great, can swing properly and will train one day before the final now. I fully expect him to start wincing and holding his side should he go a set or two down on Sunday though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Augme wrote: »
    Osaka was immense against serena. Brady just about falling over the line against Muchova at the end their, almost like both of them were trying not to win.

I'll be very impressed if brady manages to win a set, let alone the match in the final.

Serena is a pale shadow of the player she once was .
    Mentally she is very poor now.

46% of first serves in, only 3 aces, 2/7 break points, thats very poor.

I'm happy to see Brady doing well, I was impressed with her at the US Open.
    I think she lost in 3 tight sets in the semi to Osaka.
    If she serves well and plays aggressively she should do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭Floppybits

He said after the match he feels great, can swing properly and will train one day before the final now. I fully expect him to start wincing and holding his side should he go a set or two down on Sunday though.

I was thinking the same thing. He will be under a bit of pressure and suddenly the injury will reappear and he will need a medical timeout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

AlexPavlyk wrote: »
    I would really like to get to Australia, but it is unlikely that it will work with this damn virus

Well should be ok for next years AO ...

• Registered Users Posts: 54,547 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Delighted Serena beaten..

Tell me, was she favorite? I knew Osaka would beat her.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

walshb wrote: »
    Delighted Serena beaten..

Tell me, was she favorite? I knew Osaka would beat her.

No, osaka was favourite, round 4/6 or maybe a tad shorter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Can't see Serena winning another slam, still well able to beat most of the cannon fodder and reach semi finals, even the odd final depending on draw, but, once she meets someone who can move her around the court she's goosed.
    I have no doubt Djokovic's injury will reappear again if his opponent gets any momentum in the final, it'll disappear just as fast if he turns things around and wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Medvedev has won 3 of the last 4 meetings against Djokovic and the H2H is 4-3 in favour of Djokovic.

I hope he can bring his A-game (assuming he wins tomorrow) and take down the injury faker. It woukd leave a sour taste in the mouth if Djokovic comes away with the title after all his histrionics.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,547 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Medvedev in 3...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭C__MC

We can make predictions but more than likely come Sunday Djokovic will be champion

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Tsitsipas can certainly beat Medvedev (and I think it would be a more interesting final to watch if he is in it) but only if he goes on the offensive and things are clicking. It is too much for him to put two huge performances back to back? I think it may well be.

Medvedev is on a remarkable winning streak, only the Big 3, of current players, have put together comparable runs of consecutive wins against top 10 players, and I think he gets to the final here. I like the cut of his jib, if not his game.

A Djokovic win is far from nailed on in any case, Nadal looked his age towards the end of the quarterfinal and a grievously injured Djokovic may well be made to look his on Sunday.
    These other guys are catching up pretty fast at this stage.

Have really enjoyed medvedevs interviews on eurosport, comes across as a really chilled, decent bloke, kind of guy you'd be happy to go for a beer with. On that basis, i hope he wins it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭Augme

Have really enjoyed medvedevs interviews on eurosport, comes across as a really chilled, decent bloke, kind of guy you'd be happy to go for a beer with. On that basis, i hope he wins it.

Lol, he's been quite the opposite on the tennis court. His behaviour previously had been fairly shocking and I really did have a strong dislike for him. To his credit he has improved a lot lately recently and has matured and grown up. Fingers crossed he remains that way.

• Advertisement

Augme wrote: »
    Lol, he's been quite the opposite on the tennis court. His behaviour previously had been fairly shocking and I really did have a strong dislike for him. To his credit he has improved a lot lately recently and has matured and grown up. Fingers crossed he remains that way.

Yeah i know he has a reputation though stuff happening on court doesnt bother me so much. Apart from being sh!tty to a ball boy once, a definite no no, i dont remember anything too shocking. Anyway, like i said, i thought he's been coming across really well past couple of weeks so i'm happy to root for him on that basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Medvedev basically telling the Flushing Meadows crowd to go fúck themselves in 2019 only made me like him more.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Medvedev basically telling the Flushing Meadows crowd to go fúck themselves in 2019 only made me like him more.

Yeah, he spent the fortnight winding them up, it was great :pac:

I've seen comments about his game being kind of boring and a bit of a slog to watch, but I think he can be very interesting. Nice bit of touch and variety, and that match against Nadal in flushing meadows was unbelievable.

Glad personally that Djokovic made the final.

Would really stick it to the bolshy Aussies if he wins it again.

After his bad luck in 2020 - US Open was his, would have taken Wimbledon also I think that it's fair enough, notwithstanding the ill-advised and silly tournament thing he held.

Not sure where he currently lies on vaccines - said that he's not against all.

The Terminator in 3 ....

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Looks like Tsitsipas has Medvedev exactly where he wants him....

Medved takes him in 3 in some form

Should be an interesting final

Medved has been very competitive against Djokovic

coming across very well and upfront in the interview

no bs answers

on a run of 20 wins with 11 top 10 wins - good run that he's on.

crowd will be on Medved's side for sure

I think we will see Djokovic finally beaten in the AO final

• Advertisement

Loving his interviews on court and on Eurosport .. funny genuine lad ! :D

Tennis needs him ..

Advertisement