Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off Topic Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Pentecost wrote: »
    I'm lucky work wise in that I'm able to work from home and there's been no major impact on my job. But in terms of things to look forward to I agree it's tough the longer it goes on. The thought of a confirmed holiday of some kind this year would help but there's very little guarantee on that. Even a night out with friends seems a way off.

Im one of the lucky ones, my working arrangements can be done from home and I see a lot more of my loved ones as a result. It suits me much better. But I realize Im one of the few.

My daughters education concerns me with school closures. She needs to go to school but despite what the government say, its not safe and IMO, it never was. We just had to take the risk for her education.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

When there is 5, 6, 7 thousands cases a day drastic steps need to be taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,954 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

We had loads returning for Christmas from the UK and all other places with no isolating, travel should be essential only with strict restrictions at airports, ferry ports and the NI border

It's far more rampant now, it's everywhere, take care stay safe everyone

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    We had loads returning for Christmas from the UK and all other places with no isolating, travel should be essential only with strict restrictions at airports, ferry ports and the NI border

It's far more rampant now, it's everywhere, take care stay safe everyone

i dont blame some people for coming home to a point. Some people have been separated from loved ones for 9 months. However, what if these people brought Covid to their loved ones as a result of travelling. Its just not worth it.

I do blame the government for not shutting them down and taking the option of travel out of peoples hands.

I live away from my folks and I miss them, but its best to stay away no matter how much I wanna see them.

I feel for anyone with family in hospitals and nursing homes, they need to up speed on the vaccines roll out and stop cancelling other serious medical exams and operations, they had 9 months to prepare knowing flu season is in winter and we are short medical staff and ICU beds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,756 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I feel for anyone with family in hospitals and nursing homes, they need to up speed on the vaccines roll out and stop cancelling other serious medical exams and operations, they had 9 months to prepare knowing flu season is in winter and we are short medical staff and ICU beds

Very true and for this reason we may be in a longer lockdown compared to the rest of Europe

What have the HSE been doing since lockdown 1 ?

Total ****show and let's hope when this is finally over massive questions will be asked to the leaders

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Very true and for this reason we may be in a longer lockdown compared to the rest of Europe

What have the HSE been doing since lockdown 1 ?

Total ****show and let's hope when this is finally over massive questions will be asked to the leaders

Pfft you've more chance of winning the lotto than questions being asked of our useless leaders. They haven't a notion what they're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I see that the "speed up the vaccine" narrative has penetrated here as well.

How many people can you vaccinate with 40,000 doses?

hynesie08 wrote: »
    I see that the "speed up the vaccine" narrative has penetrated here as well.

How many people can you vaccinate with 40,000 doses?

4.9 million people in Ireland, 40,000 doses (with more on the way), 2 jabs per person altogether. Anyone good with maths able to work it out? Which is a serious question I'm asking by the way :pac:

I saw an graphic somewhere else, with how many have had the jab already, number definitely somehere up above 10,000, with a target of 35,000 to be vaccinated by today.

Journal.ie link with the numbers.

https://www.thejournal.ie/covid-vaccine-numbers-5318892-Jan2021/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Don't forget there are ones that don't want it. Seems to be a lot in Northern Ireland refusing it.

• Advertisement

Vaccinations are a good thing, but I can see why some are hesitant.

Its impossible for the manufacturers to know the long term effects of their vaccine yet. I will take the vaccine but ill happy to be at the end of the queue to see how others fare.

So far so good though, havent read anything to suggest the vaccines being rolled out here have had any side effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah only negatives I've read about are the ones that had allergic reactions. I'll be far enough down the list to know if the zombie apocalypse is a side effect

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    4.9 million people in Ireland, 40,000 doses (with more on the way), 2 jabs per person altogether. Anyone good with maths able to work it out? Which is a serious question I'm asking by the way :pac:

I saw an graphic somewhere else, with how many have had the jab already, number definitely somehere up above 10,000, with a target of 35,000 to be vaccinated by today.

Journal.ie link with the numbers.

https://www.thejournal.ie/covid-vaccine-numbers-5318892-Jan2021/

We've brought forward the date when all care homes will have the first dose (and presumably the second)

Moderna arrives soon, that's an extra ten k a week.

Oxford could be approved by 1st January, that'll be another 30k or so a week.

In quarter 2 it's expected that curavac and j&j will be approved, and Pfizer and Moderna production will be increased.

By valentines day, we will have everyone in a home and frontline Healthcare workers vaccinated and an increased number of vaccines to plow through the over 70s and 60s, by Paddy's day, we should be sorting out vulnerable people with underlying conditions.

By the start of summer we'll have the capacity to do appointment vaccinations and gps and pharmacists will be involved.

This isn't speculation, this is the actual planned rollout available on the government website. Obviously we'll take a backwards step if one of the vaccines doesn't get approval but that's how it stands now.......

Complaining about slow rollout in week 1 of the first approved vaccine is just wilful ignorance at this point.

Oh I'm not complaining anyways, I'm taking the pragmatic/everyone (who wants it obviously) will get it eventually, there's just a long queue ahead.

Oh I'm not complaining anyways, I'm taking the pragmatic/everyone (who wants it obviously) will get it eventually, there's just a long queue ahead.

Wasn't aimed at you, I've just watched the vaccine thread in the covid forum get bogged down with people asking why we're not vaccinating 24/7, no matter how many times it's explained.

The key is vaccinating anyone who needs it, then we can get on the road to normal, and there's been 4 good news stories in the last week about that.

We've dark days ahead, but the light is starting to poke through.....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Starting my Ultimate Sporting Venue Tournament now in 10 mins if you wanna come along and vote.

Click here!

Omackeral wrote: »
    Starting my Ultimate Sporting Venue Tournament now in 10 mins if you wanna come along and vote.

Click here!

Will late votes count :p;)

What now for Trump, back to WWE :p prison from twice impeachment?

biden_harris_505_071120060931.jpg

Vince would prob take him back, surely improve the ratings :D

Cant see Biden lasting the full term and think Harris will be president in the next 2/3 years.

If this was a movie
    the Ceremony would of been attacked with the President kidnapped with a major investigation underway and will turn out it was Harris and Trump plotting together all along
    . Lockdown is getting to me :D:D

I don't think he'd actually face prison from being impeached (open to correction here), but given he's been now impeached twice, he's probably looking at losing all the benefits that come with being a former President.

Then there's all the criminal investigations he and his family are staring down the barrel of, State Department Of New York have a bone to pick with him.

Not to mention, the **** tonne of debt he owes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

I don't think he'd actually face prison from being impeached (open to correction here), but given he's been now impeached twice, he's probably looking at losing all the benefits that come with being a former President.

Then there's all the criminal investigations he and his family are staring down the barrel of, State Department Of New York have a bone to pick with him.

Not to mention, the **** tonne of debt he owes.

Think the senate need to convict him before he'll lose his benefits and the ability to hold office again, not that I think he'll be running again anytime soon.

What now for McGregor after that loss

What now for McGregor after that loss

Rematch

Hopefully he just f*cks off. Horrible individual

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Omackeral wrote: »
    Hopefully he just f*cks off. Horrible individual

I second this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

McGregor will always be hired as a rent a mouth commentary. He's firmly in the Zeitgeist unfortunately.

Do you think HHH would still want Conor for a WM match, he was high on him

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Do you think HHH would still want me for a WM match, he was high on him

I can see it now Becky/McGregor vs HHH/Steph

I’d die from cringing

• Advertisement

HHH/Steph

Have to remind you that these 2 surpass Olympic athletes according to their trainer

Advertisement