Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New house, new tv

• 10-01-2021 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭

Hi, we’re moving soon, we’re all tired of sky rates, repeats and ads...family like news, bbc, channel 4, documentaries, RTÉ, movies...what’s a good plan for us?..thinking Netflix and freesat together...but some poor freesat reviews.all thoughts appreciate d

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

combi box FTA and saorview?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭decor58

oldsmokey wrote: »
    Hi, we’re moving soon, we’re all tired of sky rates, repeats and ads...family like news, bbc, channel 4, documentaries, RTÉ, movies...what’s a good plan for us?..thinking Netflix and freesat together...but some poor freesat reviews.all thoughts appreciate d

Been using fta tv for 15-20 years, so I don't know what I am missing with subscription tv but don't feel
    we are not missing out on too much, RTE, VM1, BBC and C4 covers most of our viewing with Netflix in the mix. I have had a variety of combo receivers over the years and then Saorview tv with Humax Freesat boxes, currently use a Walker smart tv with Saorview and satellite built in, (Netflix, YouTube, RTE player included) with a HDD for recordings, I also have a combo receiver in the loop for when recordings clash, one4all remote does the lot. Yes, sport is not an issue so that eases the pressure for subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭paddyref

decor58 wrote: »
    Been using fta tv for 15-20 years, so I don't know what I am missing with subscription tv but don't feel
    we are not missing out on too much, RTE, VM1, BBC and C4 covers most of our viewing with Netflix in the mix. I have had a variety of combo receivers over the years and then Saorview tv with Humax Freesat boxes, currently use a Walker smart tv with Saorview and satellite built in, (Netflix, YouTube, RTE player included) with a HDD for recordings, I also have a combo receiver in the loop for when recordings clash, one4all remote does the lot.
    What HDD are you using and how does it work please.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I cancelled Sky about 10 yrs ago, and was living with Freesat + Irish channels for a few years.

Then dipped my toe into dreambox etc but never really used it much, just for the odd footy match now and again.

Now the dreambox is gone but pay for Netflix too, and share a Disney subscription for free with a family member.

My Freesat is one of the old Foxsat HDR from Humax. Menus are old and slow but it's ultra reliable and does the job. I was going to upgrade to the new all singing Freesat boxes but they get shocking reviews, so I'll stick for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭lertsnim

A Discovery+ subscription is an option for documentaries. Most modern televisions will have the app available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭decor58

paddyref wrote: »
    What HDD are you using and how does it work please.

A 1tb WD my passport, works fine, reliable. I set recordings from epg on Saorview and timed recordings on satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I would be using a powered externally hdd to be safer as less issue on the ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

combi box FTA and saorview?

Thanks for reply, but I’m unfamiliar with how it all works...could you spell it out a bit please?...I know, hopeless, but just used to sky and a bit Ta YouTube😪

its a box that you plug an aerial and satellite into for free uk and irish channels
    sounds like its all you need and totally free after installation

Sat dish for sat channels and aeriel for Saorview channels.
    Google Zgemma H7s 4k 2 x sat tuners and 1 Saorview tuner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

You buy a Sky dish in Power City or Currys, DID etc, this will give you the UK channels.

You also buy a small roof aerial for the Irish (Saorview) channels RTE etc ......

Now you need a Combo box to sit under (or on top) of your TV, his box receives the signals from the dish and the roof aerial 'and combines the signals', hence 'Combo' or combination box :)

The dish is €50 approx
    Roof aerial €15 approx
    Combo box €40/€50 ISH.

And that's it, all you need now is a little DIY installation and you're off with a pretty good selection of HD TV stations + SD stations + a good selection of UK & Irish Radio stations too.

No monthly payments, totally legal, and once installed it's free for ever more. Of course you don't have every station under the sun but still it's not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,812 ✭✭✭daheff

The dish is €50 approx
    Roof aerial €15 approx
    Combo box €40/€50 ISH.

any links for any of these please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭homingbird

People on here forgot to mention iptv route for rte & the rest all you need is a good internet connection if you have a load of kids pulling off your internet its not a option.YOU dont need to fit any aerials if you go this way.Any apps off the playstore you can use your phone credit to pay for if you are on the old pay as you go three deal you keep the 20 euro to pay for thing like this.

You buy a Sky dish in Power City or Currys, DID etc, this will give you the UK channels.

You also buy a small roof aerial for the Irish (Saorview) channels RTE etc ......

Now you need a Combo box to sit under (or on top) of your TV, his box receives the signals from the dish and the roof aerial 'and combines the signals', hence 'Combo' or combination box :)

The dish is €50 approx
    Roof aerial €15 approx
    Combo box €40/€50 ISH.

And that's it, all you need now is a little DIY installation and you're off with a pretty good selection of HD TV stations + SD stations + a good selection of UK & Irish Radio stations too.

No monthly payments, totally legal, and once installed it's free for ever more. Of course you don't have every station under the sun but still it's not bad.
    beautiful..last of the dumb questions...can a combi box be got that can record programmes?..that 'record' facility has kept us on sky for years?..if so, any particular model that you recommend?..i dont mind spending a few quid extra..thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

beautiful..last of the dumb questions...can a combi box be got that can record programmes?..that 'record' facility has kept us on sky for years?..if so, any particular model that you recommend?..i dont mind spending a few quid extra..thanks

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057971250

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Originally Posted by Hamsterchops View Post

The dish is €50 approx
    Roof aerial €15 approx
    Combo box €40/€50 ISH.
    daheff wrote: »
    any links for any of these please?

Have a browse of freetv.ie for aerials and dishes etc.

you can even make it look like sky if you get the right box

the one gerry linked to above will do it

also if you wanted you could try a cheap indoor aerial for saorview before going on the roof

31921-bff5b9d1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

you can even make it look like sky if you get the right box

the one gerry linked to above will do it

also if you wanted you could try a cheap indoor aerial for saorview before going on the roof

31921-bff5b9d1.jpg

Interesting picture ....... why would encrypted channels be listed when the device is a FTA box?

Can they not be deleted from the channel listing?

Box was not setup for freesat hence why more channels are showing on epg

Boxes can do more if needed,setting them up for sky irl or sky uk location changes the line up.

Using uk brings up more of theirs first

Maybe it was an old post dated?

• Advertisement

Interesting picture ....... why would encrypted channels be listed when the device is a FTA box?

Can they not be deleted from the channel listing?

they can be deleted

Ah jaysus, I’m a bit of a Luddite., talk of epg, skins, FileZilla, means nada I’m afraid...pleeeasse...a simple recommendation for recordable combibox that won’t break my melt would be fab..thanks again...even a dealer in north cork east Kerry would be grand,,ta

Ah jaysus, I’m a bit of a Luddite., talk of epg, skins, FileZilla, means nada I’m afraid...pleeeasse...a simple recommendation for recordable combibox that won’t break my melt would be fab..thanks again...even a dealer in north cork east Kerry would be grand,,ta

he linked you to a box

its the Zgemma H7s

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/zgemma-h7s?filter_name=Zgemma%20H7S

Why go combi box as triple tuner can give you option to record on the H7s.

Epg is like Tv times or Rte guide so you know where and when your favourite program is on.

Skin is what can change the look of epg guide and can be left on default and changed at a latter date.

Filezilla on pc is used to access your box for extras needing a lan connection.

2 sat feed are needed for both tuners and not from a previous install of sky q =different lnb on dish.

Recordings can go into a fitted internally hdd maybe upto 4tb depending on how much you want to record.

Plenty of support for Luddites if needed.

Record Yes.

I have the Ferguson Ariva 250 Combo box with a 1TB Hard drive plugged into it for recording . . .

Problem is, I've now got about six years of unneeded recordings, many of them pointless stuff recorded on a whim, from TOTP2 1989, to Wimbledon finals, to "Breaking Brexit News Headlines" from 2014 :)

My point being > You can record away to your hearts content on one of these FTA boxes as long as the hard drive is mains powered.

My system is strictly a dish-aerial combo based system, simple as they come. One off payment when buying the components, then it's free for ever more ...... and not reliant on the internet or internet speed, which I think is s great advantage.

BBC ONE HD - RTE ONE HD - BBC NEWS HD - ITV1 HD - CHN 4 HD - CHN 5 HD - SKY NEWS - FRANCE 24 HD - CNN HD - BBC FOUR HD - RT HD ...... and the list goes on.

FTA Movie channels, music channels, stacks of +1 channels, all BBC regions, all ITV regions too, so you're not locked into Ulster anymore!

Many great advantages and no monthly charges, and if course it doesn't have all channels (it's free to Air) but it has a bloody good selection in its basic form.

Enjoy.

greasepalm wrote: »
    Why go combi box as triple tuner can give you option to record on the H7s.

Epg is like Tv times or Rte guide so you know where and when your favourite program is on.

Skin is what can change the look of epg guide and can be left on default and changed at a latter date.

Filezilla on pc is used to access your box for extras needing a lan connection.

2 sat feed are needed for both tuners and not from a previous install of sky q =different lnb on dish.

Recordings can go into a fitted internally hdd maybe upto 4tb depending on how much you want to record.

Plenty of support for Luddites if needed.
    I was going great til I got to line 4 of your reply, appreciate the skin, epg stuff all the same...hdd ? LAN ? Sky q? ...the deeper one digs, the darker it gets😩...I’ll go for the recommended box and report back...from an amateur POV...thanks all..

Record Yes.

I have the Ferguson Ariva 250 Combo box with a 1TB Hard drive plugged into it for recording . . .

Problem is, I've now got about six years of unneeded recordings, many of them pointless stuff recorded on a whim, from TOTP2 1989, to Wimbledon finals, to "Breaking Brexit News Headlines" from 2014 :)

My point being > You can record away to your hearts content on one of these FTA boxes as long as the hard drive is mains powered.

My system is strictly a dish-aerial combo based system, simple as they come. One off payment when buying the components, then it's free for ever more ...... and not reliant on the internet or internet speed, which I think is s great advantage.

BBC ONE HD - RTE ONE HD - BBC NEWS HD - ITV1 HD - CHN 4 HD - CHN 5 HD - SKY NEWS - FRANCE 24 HD - CNN HD - BBC FOUR HD - RT HD ...... and the list goes on.

FTA Movie channels, music channels, stacks of +1 channels, all BBC regions, all ITV regions too, so you're not locked into Ulster anymore!

Many great advantages and no monthly charges, and if course it doesn't have all channels (it's free to Air) but it has a bloody good selection in its basic form.

Enjoy.
    Oh Lordy, just read your post, great stuff there...so might your box or the box recommended by another poster , the zgemma, be the best bet? Thanks again

Old sky + hd users have the same setup that can be used on enigma2 receivers.

New customers of Sky Q boxes have a different box and different lnb with 2 cables wideband.

Hdd is like the old vcr but modernised into usb and hdd like in a pc or desktop for recordings.

Arriva box is older and the zgemma 7 has 2 versions

Do you want 2 sat tuners + 1 saorview tuner
    OR
    2 saorview tuners + 1 sat.
    Personally i like 2 sats as can record more than 1 saorview.

• Advertisement

Oh Lordy, just read your post, great stuff there...so might your box or the box recommended by another poster , the zgemma, be the best bet? Thanks again

Definitely the zgemma.

My Ariva 250 is old school now, although if you get one cheap it will do the trick perfectly well.
    The zgemma seems to be a much more advanced box, from reading about it on the internet.

Advertisement