Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stock picking contest

• 04-01-2021 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

This is a quarterly stock picking contest.

Everyone gets to pick 3 stocks per quarter.

When filling out the form below, only type in the stock ticker (symbol) not the company name.

do not use the $ sign before the stock symbol.

You need to complete Columns A, B, C, D

The rest will be calculated from a google feed

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rBukJ1VwJBwVk-_S_gM3xU0cy35a8awExnA2g29XPWw/edit#gid=0

If it goes well we can do one for the next quater.

Spreadsheet will close for edits end of day Wednesday.
    Calculations done from that closing price.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭jams100

What comedian put Jim2007 into this? :D:D:D

I presume dividends are irrelevant so?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭hottipper

Im going to add the spy & nasdaq as players also - you gotta beat those also :D

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭outonawing

jams100 wrote: »
    What comedian put Jim2007 into this? :D:D:D

I presume dividends are irrelevant so?

Rigolo is alive and well

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dartkerry

Hi all, just stopping in to say I am onboard with this bit of fun. I only found this place a few months ago and boy can you get sucked into the world of stocks and shares. Good luck to everyone for '21.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭breadmonster

been looking through some of the picks is resn and atom still good to get into?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭Shedite27

been looking through some of the picks is resn and atom still good to get into?

RESN up 43% this year and ATOM up 51%

2 trading days in :D

I assume we haven't started the competition yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭Mach 3

hottipper wrote: »
    This is a quarterly stock picking contest.

Everyone gets to pick 3 stocks per quarter.

When filling out the form below, only type in the stock ticker (symbol) not the company name.

do not use the $ sign before the stock symbol.

You need to complete Columns A, B, C, D

The rest will be calculated from a google feed

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rBukJ1VwJBwVk-_S_gM3xU0cy35a8awExnA2g29XPWw/edit#gid=0

If it goes well we can do one for the next quater.

Spreadsheet will close for edits end of day Wednesday.
    Calculations done from that closing price.

Good Idea.

Not a stock picker and wouldn't know half the stocks picked, but for a contrarian view...

Long all unique stocks.
    Short all stocks mentioned more than Once.
    50/50 equal weighted to all stocks.

Be the Villain for a bit of Craic.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I assume we haven't started the competition yet

Starting price is close of play today. hope it dumps today or they wont even beat the spy :D

@One More & @jonwin
    Somebody may have removed your stock picks accidentally (probably for research) Could you add them again?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭RaggyDays

might be no harm to lock the sheet after today till next quarter

RaggyDays wrote: »
    might be no harm to lock the sheet after today till next quarter

You calling me a cheat?
    :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Hope putting UK based Investment Trusts in there is OK? (CEF's), assuming this is pulled via a google feed it should find the tickers OK

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    Hope putting UK based Investment Trusts in there is OK? (CEF's), assuming this is pulled via a google feed it should find the tickers OK

Just checked your picks - all seem to work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭mickotoole

I'm in!

Updated the spreadsheet
    Can everyone check the correct stock is loaded for you?
    Ping me if its wrong and ill correct it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Anyone else actually buy their picks on wed? Think I'd be more sickened if they did well and I didn't buy them!

Just realised I didn't put the .L at the end of my pick, any chance I can get ARB changed to ARB.L?

Anyone else actually buy their picks on wed? Think I'd be more sickened if they did well and I didn't buy them!

Holding 2 of mine.

Big thanks to hottipper for organising the comp. :)

-2% already, well that's off to a fantastic start !
    Love the idea though, thanks for setting it up hottipper :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jonwin

sorry, should have put .L after amryt,

• Advertisement

jonwin wrote: »
    sorry, should have put .L after amryt,

fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jonwin

thank you, sir

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,506 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Youre gonna need to change my FP to EPA:FP as well.

retalivity wrote: »
    Youre gonna need to change my FP to EPA:FP as well.

fixed

Jaysus most of you lads are waaay outperforming the market today, fair play!

Should the "Total" column in the spreadsheet not be an average? Like if I've a 3 stocks up 1, 3 and 5%, I'd expect my result to be 3%, rather than 9%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Do a sort by total gains also, we want a nice league table with the winners up the top for bragging rights lol.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Should the "Total" column in the spreadsheet not be an average? Like if I've a 3 stocks up 1, 3 and 5%, I'd expect my result to be 3%, rather than 9%

Was thinking everybody was doing too well :pac:
    yeah let me change that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Spreadsheet looks great, fair play for setting it up.. Could you make the columns narrower? Should be able to fit it all in without scrolling :)

Added Average & removed the scrolling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Boards ETF next :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭JoeCole26

Have purchased each of mine to see how things go. Have to put my money where my mouth is I suppose :) Thanks for setting up. Be interesting to see how it all pans out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Irishder

have all 3 of mine, going well today :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Timmaay wrote: »
    Do a sort by total gains also, we want a nice league table with the winners up the top for bragging rights lol.

Sorry I'm fairly demanding here with a 2nd post on it hahah, an autosort looks very doable. Great work by the way with all this hopper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭mickotoole

Sorry I'm fairly demanding here with a 2nd post on it hahah, an autosort looks very doable. Great work by the way with all this hopper.
    @Timmaay You can create a temporary filter on the spreadsheet and sort it anyway you want without affecting the view for anyone else.

Just wanted to echo the others and thank OP for setting this up. Am pleasantly surprised by my picks today, just outside the top 10 at the minute but hoping that will change in the coming days/weeks

Is it working now? seems to forget or not resort after a while :D

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭jams100

mickotoole wrote: »
    @Timmaay You can create a temporary filter on the spreadsheet and sort it anyway you want without affecting the view for anyone else.

Just wanted to echo the others and thank OP for setting this up. Am pleasantly surprised by my picks today, just outside the top 10 at the minute but hoping that will change in the coming days/weeks

I hope there is no relegation from this group. Might have to get 'big sam' in if I stay where I am.

Promotion = Move to a reddit league
    Relegation = Drop to a bebo league :D

Cheers for setting it up op!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Thanks for organising this, great idea.

Would’ve been great to have Rigolo in too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Great work on the spreadsheet! Been a wild 24 hours for Timmaay's picks :pac: up15% down21 % up19%

• Advertisement

This isn't for our contest, but for another Stock Picking Contest I'm in, these were the top picks for the year
    60203_104883.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Treppen

AmberGold wrote: »
    Thanks for organising this, great idea.

Would’ve been great to have Rigolo in too!

Everybody been scouring back through his posts for any nuggets of wisdom (his share tips btw... not sports insights :pac: )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

When Ackman announces Stripe we may as well wrap this up ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Some gain there from Irishder on the Pennystocks. Always avoid the overly talked about Pennystocks on Reddit etc but those 3 seem to be doing well...

Kilboor wrote: »
    Some gain there from Irishder on the Pennystocks. Always avoid the overly talked about Pennystocks on Reddit etc but those 3 seem to be doing well...

The problem with penny stocks they can drop twice as fast as they went up :)

After saying that i have high hopes for BNGO and IDEX.

Also got a few GEVO lately which is doing well

Some really strong gains in this spreadsheet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭JoeCole26

Irishder wrote: »
    The problem with penny stocks they can drop twice as fast as they went up :)

After saying that i have high hopes for BNGO and IDEX.

Also got a few GEVO lately which is doing well

Great day for BNGO and IDEX. Great work. Have an open position on IDEX, and BNGO on my watch list (typically) along with NGA.

Irishder wrote: »
    Some really strong gains in this spreadsheet!!

Its interesting to watch alright expecting some wild swings across the board as we get deeper into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭kennypowers

Thanks for setting this up hottipper .I see that my 3 rd pick mtn ltd is the incorrect company .I was punting on the African telco rather than the vail resorts .This obviously wouldn't be brought to your attention if the company was up 5% rather than being down 5%:P:o:o

Thanks for setting this up hottipper .I see that my 3 rd pick mtn ltd is the incorrect company .I was punting on the African telco rather than the vail resorts .This obviously wouldn't be brought to your attention if the company was up 5% rather than being down 5%:P:o:o

updated now set your starting price to 6128 - think thats right.

• Advertisement
Advertisement