Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Player movement

• 03-01-2021 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Looks like there could potentially be a decent player movement due to financial pressure/ overflow of players in certain positions/ position deficits.

What do people think will happen?

One Leinster no8 to go north would make sence.
    Munster could so with an openside too i think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,949 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Stan27 wrote: »
    Looks like there could potentially be a decent player movement due to financial pressure/ overflow of players in certain positions/ position deficits.

One Leinster no8 to go north would make sence.

I am in favour of this happening. A player like Max Deegan was looking world class and could actually be 4th choice at Leinster for Number 8. I wonder if a player moved for one year or two year with option of a move back would it work better for people?

Certainly think Joey (if fit) should be a Leinster player again and have no issue if Munster took a few other backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

In most circumstances, Province A aren't going to take Province B's player for a year or two if he's definitely going back to Province B.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

There should be a quota where leinster get to sign one world class NIQ for every, say, seven players they provide to the other provinces......

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

One Leinster no8 to go north would make sense.
    Does it need new thread. kind of discussed in few places already. What backrow would you suggest go north? Munster would be better using their academy options in backrow. a signing from leinster isnt really needed.
    I am in favour of this happening. A player like Max Deegan was looking world class and could actually be 4th choice at Leinster for Number 8. I wonder if a player moved for one year or two year with option of a move back would it work better for people?

Certainly think Joey (if fit) should be a Leinster player again and have no issue if Munster took a few other backs.
    What exactly is world class. How much would other provinces want players if theyre only going to be there for 1/2 years before moving back?
    Any other side who takes a player wants them to be with them long term and use them to build to future
    Why should Carbery if fit be a Leinster player again when there is Byrne x2, Frawley at outhalf, Keenan and others to play full back. What does that achieve exactly??
    What backs would be better off in Munster and what positions are Munster really needing a signing from Leinster
    sydthebeat wrote: »
    There should be a quota where leinster get to sign one world class NIQ for every, say, seven players they provide to the other provinces......
    Only the 1? should be at least 3.....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,388 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Neither Deegan nor Carbery should be moving any time soon. The former is rehabbing a knee ligament injury and who knows what's going on with the latter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

In most circumstances, Province A aren't going to take Province B's player for a year or two if he's definitely going back to Province B.

Quinn Roux and John Cooney both went to Connacht on loan. They both chose to stay when offered a deal, but the original deals were definitely temporary loan moves.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Quinn Roux and John Cooney both went to Connacht on loan. They both chose to stay when offered a deal, but the original deals were definitely temporary loan moves.

Their passports were seized Zzippy and they were forced to remain in Galway. I know it and you know it.

Cian Kelleher and Fionn Carr both left Leinster and came back Just saying I don't think it should be such a big deal It should be seen like the way Tommy Bowe left and came back and so did Sexton.

Cian Kelleher and Fionn Carr both left Leinster and came back Just saying I don't think it should be such a big deal It should be seen like the way Tommy Bowe left and came back and so did Sexton.

I was responding to your specific suggestion of an option to go back to their original province.

Teams aren't going to invest gametime/opportunities into a young player who they believe will almost certainly up and leave after a year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I was responding to your specific suggestion of an option to go back to their original province.

Teams aren't going to invest gametime/opportunities into a young player who they believe will almost certainly up and leave after a year.

If he improves the team they will. If he doesn't they won't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,887 ✭✭✭TRC10

I can definitely see one of leinster opensides going south, most likely Connors or Penny.

I would have said one of the 10s should leave a few months ago but it looks like Frawley is being developed as a 12 (quite successfully) and Sextons body is on the way out. So that just leaves the 2 Byrnes and Hawkshaw which is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I think it's fair to say something needs to be done about the Leinster backrow and I don't mean in a "evening things up sense" there's just way too many quality players across the 3 positions.
    It's a tough one for Leinster and the players themselves though.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

Would be hard to convince a player to move if he wouldn't be first choice at his new province or guaranteed Ireland selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think a lot of lads will move this year. Some of them to England and France. If they can earn more and get at least a couple of years.
    I can see Healy looking for a last pay day. Maybe Cronin too.
    The move interprovincially for less money may not be enough.
    At this stage the IRFU probably will focus on getting as many academy lads promoted as possible. If there's no cash flow. How do they keep the players happy?

Dubinusa wrote: »
    I think a lot of lads will move this year. Some of them to England and France. If they can earn more and get at least a couple of years.
    I can see Healy looking for a last pay day. Maybe Cronin too.
    The move interprovincially for less money may not be enough.
    At this stage the IRFU probably will focus on getting as many academy lads promoted as possible. If there's no cash flow. How do they keep the players happy?
    There isnt going to be any big pay days with covid continuing to affect people going to games.
    You talk about cash flow. Well thats going to majorly affect a lot of players chances of going abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Stan27

Does it need new thread. kind of discussed in few places already. What backrow would you suggest go north? Munster would be better using their academy options in backrow. a signing from leinster isnt really needed.

What exactly is world class. How much would other provinces want players if theyre only going to be there for 1/2 years before moving back?
    Any other side who takes a player wants them to be with them long term and use them to build to future
    Why should Carbery if fit be a Leinster player again when there is Byrne x2, Frawley at outhalf, Keenan and others to play full back. What does that achieve exactly??
    What backs would be better off in Munster and what positions are Munster really needing a signing from Leinster

Only the 1? should be at least 3.....

Conan or deegan to ulster would suit imo.
    Only young 7 in munster is hodnett, they need another one, and leinster have laods fo sevens
    1, leavy
    2 van der flier
    3 conners
    4 penny
    5 maloney (acadamy)

Conan or deegan to ulster would suit imo.
    Only young 7 in munster is hodnett, they need another one, and leinster have laods fo sevens
    1, leavy
    2 van der flier
    3 conners
    4 penny
    5 maloney (acadamy)
    They dont seem to want it.
    Munster have Hodnett, but plenty others who can play 7 and wouldnt worry about that too much

Teams get players funded from the IRFU, they are greatly helped from the IRFU who entice players to stay in Ireland - so all of them need to also think in terms of what is best for Ireland and not just them.

TRC10 wrote: »
    I can definitely see one of leinster opensides going south, most likely Connors or Penny.

I would have said one of the 10s should leave a few months ago but it looks like Frawley is being developed as a 12 (quite successfully) and Sextons body is on the way out. So that just leaves the 2 Byrnes and Hawkshaw which is fine.

with the injury rate of the back row, you will get game time if you are in the top 3 of 6, 7 or 8. But in some cases, Leinster have 4 or 5 who are decent standard so you are right, for their sake and Ireland sake some should go.

with the injury rate of the back row, you will get game time if you are in the top 3 of 6, 7 or 8. But in some cases, Leinster have 4 or 5 who are decent standard so you are right, for their sake and Ireland sake some should go.
    Maybe but when there is one or two involved with the irish squad there is plenty of game time for those who are 4th/5th in line in the run of the mill pro14 games and then there is always one or two players injured as well.

And you didnt answer What exactly is world class and how much would other provinces want players if theyre only going to be there for 1/2 years before moving back or why would Carbery be a Leinster player again when there is Byrne x2, Frawley at outhalf, Keenan and others to play full back. What does that achieve exactly??

• Advertisement

Teams get players funded from the IRFU, they are greatly helped from the IRFU who entice players to stay in Ireland - so all of them need to also think in terms of what is best for Ireland and not just them.

Eh, players should do what's best for themselves. They're no different to anyone who's an employee.

Eh, players should do what's best for themselves. They're no different to anyone who's an employee.

Yeah and so to further their career they should be given possibilities to move to somewhere where they will get a better chance.

What I mean by "all of them" was the provinces.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭launish116

Who do we foresee looking for game time elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Stan27

Old thread but still relevant.

Munster and ulster need 10,s.

Ulster ideally another backrow.

Surely as leinster have surpluses in these positions the powers at the top should encourage moves.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I've no doubt the moves are encouraged and approaches are made but it's very hard to force people to move. If Leinster want to keep a player and make an offer, another province and make their offer too with the added incentive of increased playing time and argue for an improved pathway to test selection.

But the player might be quite content where they are. They've lives set up, families, friends and are playing for their home team. There's a big draw on that. Guys like Dan Sheehan were approached for moves before they hit the big time but were extremely promising players. They back themselves to succeed and, when young guys see Dan Sheehan (who didn't even become first choice until last season) make a call that works out incredibly well, they're encouraged to stay too.

We've someone like Deegan who has been capped a couple of times when 3rd choice in Leinster. Then you've Timoney who has been playing consistently for Ulster and going really well. He has three caps. I'm not sure Deegan is going to look at that and think moving is the right call for him.

Personally, I'd be disappointed to see it but, in reality, I think the following guys should be encouraged to leave Leinster for better distribution of resources around the provinces:

• Max Deegan
    • Charlie Tector
    • Ed Byrne (massively underrated player who is only 30)
    • Lee Barron or John McKee
    • Brian Deeny
    • Ben Murphy or Cormac Foley (Murphy finishes in the academy this year and, with Gunne coming through, I don't think they'll carry 4 senior scrum halves)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭ec18

really provinces aren't going to be interested Leinster failures. ( I know that's a bit harsh but they wouldn't be moving because they had too much game time)

Maybe something like a draft style where every province gets to select 2/3 from their academy and then the rest go into a draft between the provinces?

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Lord Palmerston

Other provinces have consistently been interested in what you incorrectly characterise as "Leinster failures" - not being good enough to start at Leinster has never meant you're not good enough to start for any of the other three.

The draft system is a complete nonsense, it weakens Leinster, and rewards the other three provinces for their own historic failures in player production, thus further building a reliance on the Leinster schools system.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It's a bit easy to repeatedly excoriate the other three provinces for their failure to produce players from the comfortable position Leinster find themselves in, most of which has little to do with the actions of the provincial rugby team itself.

Irish rugby as a whole will always be reliant on the Leinster private schools system as long as the sport remains a niche activity based around schools and not clubs. And that's pretty much always been the case everywhere except France and, for a time, Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Lord Palmerston

Maybe it is, but it doesn't make it incorrect.

The only one I'd give a pass to is Connacht, where they still just don't really have the numbers.

Munster's production has improved significantly in recent years, but that just really highlights how poor it was for effectively the decade before it. Ulster have strong rugby playing areas and lots of talent, they've struggled converting it though.

The notion that these guys just show up out of school as ready made rugby pros is way overblown. Leinster may have the biggest and best funnel of the four provinces without a doubt, but they've also done the best job of converting good prospects into good players for the last decade plus as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭ec18

Leinster have probably the most envious set of circumstances in the world when it comes to player development. They are based in the highest playing population surrounding them, as well as a set of very well funded schools rugby programs which essentially function as a few elite pre academy for them.

To 'reward' the good fee paying parents of South county Dublin. I'd suggest that each province gets 2 first refusals on their own academy with the rest going into the general pool. Let's not pretend that Leinster have no deficiencies either in recent years that would have jumped at the change to get Doak or an Edogbo to fix some of their ongoing issues.

Ulster and Munster have gotten their academies to much better shape in recent years. If you look at the team that finished the URC final this year a large part of them were Munster academy products.

Just two further points, the other provinces have been happy to take some of Leinster's failures due to the way the IRFU run contracting. The simple truth is that it's much easier to get approval for an IQ provincial transfer than the player you might like to get from abroad. It won't weaken Leinster losing depth chart guys, the main aim of the IRFU strategy is for depth at Ireland level. Anything that enhances that will be encouraged

Advertisement