Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2021 Targets

Options
  • 09-12-2020 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is not already here but what are people targeting next year (in an ideal world).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Increase mileage year on year:
    2019: 600
    2020: 1050 projected, currently 980
    2021: 1400

Races:
    2020: 1 race, thankfully it was the Raheny 5

2021:
    Target: Two marathons, one smaller in summer if it happens preferably Longford, Dublin in Oct.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,965 ✭✭✭✭event

My Target times

10k - 42:59 - PB is 43:01
    Marathon - 3:37:59 - PB is 3:38:21

But ideally, I need to get myself back to motivated to run.

I have also signed up to my first Try-a-Tri in June so I need to learn how to swim really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭token56

A lack of races has made it difficult to get any decent PB's on the board for this year unfortunately and in a year scattered with injuries I've managed to get into somewhat decent shape. However on the basis that I manage to clear up my current injuries and get some solid injury free training behind me I am going to set myself some very ambitious targets for next year.

5K - sub 17:30 (PB 18:5x)
    5 mile - sub 30:00 (PB unknown)
    10K - sub 37:00 (PB unknown)

Even more lofty
    1 mile - sub 5:00 (PB unknown)
    3K - sub 10:00 (PB unknown)

I would also like to race a 10 mile and half marathon, two distances I have never raced before. No specific times in mind but would like to set an official PB for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Get over my current injury woes.
    Get fit.

16:xx 5km, 35:xx 10km

Start half marathon base building.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭BeginnerRunner

Mine's real simple.

Still be here logging.

Also...

Couple of fun "roll it in with a holiday" events:

Connemara Challenge
    Disney Paris Half Marathon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭4Ad

Remain (serious) injury free.

Complete a hill/trail marathon, doesn't even have to be a race.

And hopefully get to run another marathon abroad, preferably somewhere warmish !!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Try to remain motivated to actually run for the year.
    Run a sub 3 in a small marathon somewhere in late spring/ early summer in the event small races are allowed back. This would then give me the flexibility to try and run a stupid pace in London or Dublin.
    See if I can run a parkrun faster in 2021 not pushing a buggy, than I was in 2019 pushing the buggy.
    Run something stupid long distance/ duration.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

* Average 40 Miles per week (aka 2,000 Miles for the year)
    * Minimum 40 Miles on 80% of weeks (41 Weeks with at least 40 Miles)
    * Long run on 90% of weeks over the year (46 Weeks with a long run of at least 10 Miles)
    * 2 sessions per week on 90% of weeks (46 weeks with at least 2 sessions/races)
    * At least 1 PB (5K,10K,5 Mile,10Mile, Half Marathon, Marathon)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Inventive User Name

Right now I'd be satisfied with just being able to train consistently again.
    About 3 years ago I was in16:30 shape, running 60mpw and hoping to dip under 16:00 in the near future. For the last 2 years I've been steadily declining to the point where I'm now running about 60-70 miles a MONTH (partially due to insomnia, digestive issues & a lumbar osteoporosis diagnosis age 27).

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

Run a minimum of 3,000km and go sub 3.30 in a marathon (preferably a major).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

My running has been an absolute joke for 4-5 years now........ definitely a few things I'd like to do in 2021.

* Get back above 1,000 miles for the year.
    * Race a sub 20:00 5k
    * Race a half marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Duanington

- Get to April 2021 niggle free, full of aerobic fitness
    - Train hard but smart
    - Run a marathon in the Autumn
    - Take in some races when they start up again
    - Run 3,000 miles
    - Enjoy the process

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

Despite a knee niggle I think I'll make the 1000 mile this year. Would like to increase in 2021 to 2000km. Do-able I think as I had two and a half months out with a foot injury this year. My only other goal would be a sub-20 min 5k. Or as close as I can get. Might be a stretch for an oldish fart but one must be positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

My goals for 2021 are very much process as opposed to outcome, also the year is clearly split in 3.

Jan - April; keep good steady mileage of at least 40km a week, if COVID allows do a 5k race
    April - October; after (fingers crossed) the new addition to the family, maintain as best I can running as life changes in ways I can't imagine now.
    October - December; Work double buggy running into my training. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

1. Stay fit and injury free
    2. PB in every distance
    3. Run at least 60km a week which is minimum (over 3000km)
    4. Sub 20 5k
    5. Sub 1:30 HM
    6. Under 42 10k
    7. Sub 3:10 marathon and BQ..well as close to 3:05 as possible.
    8. Develop strength and core
    9. Improve technique
    10 Continue to make everyone I know on Strava feel bad
    11. Not to get passed out by a buggy runner during a Parkrun or even worse a buggy runner with a dog on a lead and toddler on the shoulders. Yes that nearly happened a few years ago. Superman himself.
    12. Maybe look into a cheeky tri

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

1. Main goal is to go higher mileage than this year. Added a seventh day to my weekly running this year in July/August so if I manage that all year round next year that should have me around 2800 miles (with the odd rest day). Work/life balance will determine if this continues.
    2. I'd be happy doing another year of mainly aerobic based training. If this year taught me anything it's that I don't need race specific sessions to improve. That being said we'll see how the whole race scene plays out.

That's it really. No specific time goals. If I manage to complement this year's training with an equal or better year with the same consistency the times will naturally come. As always my diet/nutrition could do with some improvement.

Boring, I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

With no definite racing plannable for 2021 the goals are all internal and so:

40k running rolling average over 7 days.
    Sub 17 5k.

I was way to enthusiastic in Lockdown 1 and essentially injured myself doing 3 time trials in a week (yes 3, 2k, 5k, 2k) so want to try and do it properly this time. I have no speed so need to be more careful trying to run fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭joxer1988

A target for a relative rookie!

5K - sub 21:00 (PB 24:20)
    10K - sub 45:00 (PB unknown)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

My goals for 2021 are more modest and focused when compared to those for 2020 (link).
    • Sub-20 5k and sub-1:30 half. I'm very close to these.
    • 13k solo Glencoaghan Horseshoe in January (Twelve Bens, Connemara).
    • 50k solo Newport -> Bangor Erris along Western Way in Mayo, by March/April.
    • 50k solo Sligo Way, by March/April.
    • 50k solo Kerry Way. Not sure when I'll do this.
    • 23k Gaelforce Killary Sky Run in March. I was DNF in 2020 on the expert course.
    • 42k Connemarathon in April (training effort).
    • 50k Xterra Gozo Malta in May.
    • 50k Laugavegur in Iceland in July. This is my main goal for 2021.
    • 42k Dramathon in Scotland in October.
    • Continue to raise base fitness and technical skill as I seek new running challenges in Ireland and abroad.

I'm sure other races and challenges will come up. My focus has shifted to longer self-supported challenges, as it frees me from race cancellation disappointments.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

Jeez, I'm bored. It's pi$$ing outside. Bars and restaurants closed. Going to pour meself a small whisky and give this a think.

Ok, sorted.

2021 targets are going to be the hardest yet cos we don't know when races will be on. But fook it, let's have a go.

I usually target a March Half....... and even though it's a small club race about 3 months from now, I suppose it's a long shot. Would give me something to get through Jan and Feb though so I'll dust off a half decent Half plan and give it a lash. Target? 1.21 (This is called positive thinking I believe. PB 1.21.06 from 2 years ago)

I seem to be losing speed (relative term here) as the years kick in so my cunning plan is to go after the longer distances where I might still have a chance of improving. Again, Cork marathon in June is probably touch and go, but I do have flights booked. (Sure that's about 33% of the battle I reckon) The course isn't exactly pancake but I'd still target a PB, so anything less than 2.57.36 tbh. I'll keep the sub 2.55 effort for Valencia in December.

Other than that it's a case of stay fit and healthy and avoid as much injury as possible. If I can keep the same distance as the last couple of years training I'll be happy. Strava tells me I have 3,830kms done so far for 2020, not something I think much about really)

Just remembered, I have a little 10k 'race' with 5 or 6 running buddies on Jan 2nd. Sheeeeeeet, let's say 38 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

2021 Goals

- Keep motivated - If anything this year has shown me is how much running means to me & how much it has helped me physically, mentally & emotionally,

- Stay consistent & injury free - Hopefully i can stick with my 6 days a week running & if done smartly enough (with the guidance of S) stay injury free.

- Never stop working hard, give my best to any training plan I follow.

- I would like to improve my times at all distances however marginal that may be, but hopefully they will come with my training.

It has been a very uncertain year & next year looks the same. Despite all my official & unofficial PBs this year the one thing I would trade them all for is to have gotten a chance at a 2nd Marathon! No point dwelling, my biggest goal/wish will be to run my 2nd one in 2021... here's hoping:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Sub 2:45 Marathon. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

healy1835 wrote: »
    Sub 2:45 Marathon. That is all.

I'll pace you

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

PR at 5k, 10k and the Marathon
    2,500 miles
    10,000 push ups
    2,000 pull ups
    An Adventure Race
    Score 20 rounds in the classic crossfit "Cindy" workout

All of which have dependencies of sorts

New log will open soon to detail the journey and beyond

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

November/December has been TT season for me to set some of the times below. Others are from earlier in 2020 . So here it goes -

In order of priority -
    1. Get an actual plan (for 800 m) starting from January 1st and stick to it
    2. 800 m - Sub 2:10 (current best 2:12(13 or 14)ish)
    3. Mile - Sub 4:50 (current best 4:57)
    4. 3 K - Sub 10:00 (current best 10:02)
    5. 5 K - Sub 17:00 (current best 17:17)
    6. 10 K - 36:30 (current best 36:45)
    7. 10 mile - Sub 60 (current best 60:59)
    8. Join a club
    9. Avoid the GAA junior D draft

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I can't see any races until Autumn at a minimum so the focus will still have to be on training and time trials.

The only concrete aim for the year is to give a good crack at a 15.5X 5k. Time trialled a solo 16.24 recently on an easy course so still a long way off but at least it's a target to keep me getting out the door.

Happy New Year all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I’m going to keep mine very simple, main target for 2021 is to regain some focus & dedication again.

Have accepted there won’t be any kind of racing here until summer at the earliest. 2020 was a lazy year full of excuses for me, need to leave that thought process behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

1. Stay healthy
    2. Consistent running 4 days a week slowly building mileage to 20+ miles a week increasing to 30 after 6 months
    3. Complete the 10 mile race distance (probably virtually) no time goal for this as yet
    4. Keep and improve the strength training and weights

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Get back to 4 day a week.
    Get in shape for the summer in case races come

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

1. Sort out a niggle I’ve had for a while (physio in Jan)
    2. Run / train with consistency (2000km+ throughout the year)
    3. Marathon in October (hopefully an actual race, but more than likely virtual)

Advertisement