Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ubiquiti Dream Machine & VF SIRO Setup

• 31-05-2020 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭

Afternoon,

My UDM arrived, I wanted to note the setup in case any one gets one and wishes to get it up quickly. This is not a review just a quick start guide.

Current VF Wireless speeds using standard router connection to https://vfie.speedtestcustom.com/. Taken on my phone.

Router - Ping 6 ms Download 19 Mbps Upload 51.9 Mbps - 5 bars
    Attic - Ping 6 ms Download 12.2 Mbps Upload 2.4 Mbps - 1 bar

Unboxed it and started with a factory reset. Then plugged it into the LAN port on VF router to WAN port on UDM. Install using the UI App and follow the quick start guide at UI.com/QGS/UDM.

Updated firmware and setup WiFi as part of the initial setup. All very easy. Once that was completed, I disconnected VF router from ONT, powered it off, and plugged the UDM WAN port directly into the ONT.

https://192.168.2.1 - Log into Controller.
    Click on the Gear in the bottom left hand corner.
    Click on Networks
    Click on WAN - Actions - Edit
    IPV4 - Connection Type - Select PPPoE
    Username is the old VF router serial number with @vfiefttc.ie, and the password is broadband. Interesting enough, it did not seem to matter if I used @vfieftth.ie, @vfiefttc.ie or Vodafone@Vodafone.ie. They all seemed to work..
    Preferred DNS: 89.19.64.36
    Alternate DNS: 89.19.64.164

Bug - Your Setup Needs Attention - 99%

What took some time to figure out is that when all of that was completed the Home screen still came up with an error "Your Setup Needs Attention - 99%" you are not connected to the Internet. This seems to a bug, as I was able to connect to the internet once I thought of testing it..

Knowing the above, it is probably a 5 min setup. The UI App is nice with lots of options however the Controller interface (192.168.2.1) has a LOADS of features, which I'm only starting to look at now.

Speedtests after on my phone.
    Router - Ping 6 ms Download 254 Mbps Upload 204 Mbps - 5 bars
    Attic - Ping 6 ms Download 130 Mbps Upload 38.3 Mbps - 1 bar
    Attic - Ping 6 ms Download 75.8 Mbps Upload 5.5 Mbps - 5 bars
    Attic - Ping 6 ms Download 41.7 Mbps Upload 18.5 Mbps - 5 bars
    Attic - Ping 6 ms Download 119.1 Mbps Upload 37.2 Mbps - 5 bars - looked like it refreshed network, I noticed the WiFi icon flashing.

Attic - PC - Ping 4 ms Download 108 Mbps Upload 28.2 Mbps - 3 bars
    Attic - PC - Ping 3 ms Download 137.8 Mbps Upload 144.6 Mbps - 3 bars
    Attic - PC - Ping 4 ms Download 135.6 Mbps Upload 141.9 Mbps - 3 bars

By chance, I needed a GeeForce driver update which was 518 MB, I downloaded it at about 16.6 MB / sec. It was quite fast.

That's it. Easy to install. Speeds are improved everywhere in the house. I was looking for stability rather that speed so time will tell in that regard. So far, I am impressed with it so far. I just need to switch everything on to it now.

Any questions, let me know happy to help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Ya-Boy-Ya

Great set up guide
    Keep us up to date with stability
    How is coverage in the house ?? where have u it situated ??

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Will do. I have had no issues so far but I need more time to see how it runs with streaming movies, Video conference calls and having everyone online at the same time. I currently have it in the Kitchen beside the ONT but I plan to move it to the attic in the future once I run some cables into the sitting room and kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

Have the UDM myself with Siro.

Works well and v solid. been running about 4 months. have 2 AP too with nano HD meshed which work well also.

Intially the AP would lose connection but since firmware upgrade been rock solid since.

Only issue is homepage showing 'internet down' and vlan id option missing on ppoe set up screen, I think the latter since fixed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

I have a UDM - Pro and I’m about to order SIRO from Airwire. just curious if its at all possible to connect the fibre directly to a sfp+ fibre module? or does it have to go through the ONT?

Also going to be running VM in conjunction with this for a few months until contract is up! been looking around to see if WAN aggregation is possible and havent seen anything yet. only thing i found suggested putting a pfsense router in front of the UDM pro :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

tazzzZ wrote: »
    I have a UDM - Pro and I’m about to order SIRO from Airwire. just curious if its at all possible to connect the fibre directly to a sfp+ fibre module? or does it have to go through the ONT?
    The suggestion is that if you had a GPON SFP it wouldn't work as it would need to be paired to the network so you would still need the ONT. You can use the RJ45 WAN port on the UDM-Pro or if you really want to use the SFP port I'd say you could get a RJ45 SFP

• Advertisement

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    The suggestion is that if you had a GPON SFP it wouldn't work as it would need to be paired to the network so you would still need the ONT. You can use the RJ45 WAN port on the UDM-Pro or if you really want to use the SFP port I'd say you could get a RJ45 SFP

Ah thats unfortunate... I just wanted to hook it up to my WAN 2 port directly on the off chance the speeds might get throttled by 1 gig networking at times. Also I currently have VM for another few months before contract runs out. And ill be running both for a month or 2. So i wanted to see if there is anyway to get WAN load balancing.

Cheers for the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 leateds

You could get a Ethernet to SFP transiever for your SFP port and that would allow you to connect an ethernet cable from the SIRO ONT to your UDM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

leateds wrote: »
    You could get a Ethernet to SFP transiever for your SFP port and that would allow you to connect an ethernet cable from the SIRO ONT to your UDM
    ...but then you're best just to use the WAN copper port on the UDM-Pro until/if FTTH goes beyond the 1GbE services :)

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    ...but then you're best just to use the WAN copper port on the UDM-Pro until/if FTTH goes beyond the 1GbE services :)

I have both as it stands. I just plugged my expiring VM connection into the WAN 2 port for the time being. I got a 10gbase module for it as i have 10gb networking in the house as is. So maybe in future i swap over the siro connection.

My connection still takes a hit with all the security features turned on on the UDMP. in case anyone was thinking of getting it and hoping not to have their 1gb connection impacted. Without security features turned on i get anywhere from 900-700Mbps... with security turned on I get anywhere from 600 - 500Mbps. Which i was a little disappointed about as the UDMP is rated for up to 3.5Mbps throughput with all the security turned on but i guess this included LAN throughput.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭slayer91

Hi,

Following this thread with interest as I have the exact same set up with Vodafone fibre to the home and a gigabox router.
    Got a Unfi Dream machine and followed the instructions above but cannot get the dream box to connect to the internet.

I can connect to the DM via the app and set it up but when I powered down the gigabox and connect the ONT to the WAN port on the DM, the set up always wants to check the internet connection first.
    I select the PPoE and input the username and password but there is no place to select the VLAN id 10 which I understand is essential

I cannot get to the networks settings page as per your screenshot.

Any advice please?

Regards

• Advertisement

Only seeing the message now Slayer. I think they may have changed the config \ settings. Give me a few minutes and I'll look for it on my app

Hi Slayer,

"Then plugged it into the LAN port on VF router to WAN port on UDM."

Just checking when you are doing the setup are you connecting it to Vodafone router to begin with? So I had it working on the Vodafone router, then I configured the WAN port and after that I configured the WAN settings.

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I should mention straight up I have VODAFONE fibre to the home (150mb) not SIRO

I should have said that I followed your instructions to the 't'
    I unboxed and powered up and did a reset
    Connect the DM WAN port to LAN port on the gigabox and use the app to set it up. The DM picks up the internet via the giagbox and this allows me set up the DM.

I power down the vodafone giabox and connect the cat5 from the ONT to the WAN port on the DM but it does not have the internet so the app only selects PPoE and allows me to enter an username and password and DNS but not any VLAN info. I cannot access the full setting Network settings page as per your attachment.

It sounds like you configure the WAN details in the first stage - when the DM is connected to gigabox?

Then you connect the ONT directly to the DM.

So I should configure the WAN port ie, enter in the details on the NETWORK page when it is conneted via the gigabox? Save it and then connect to the ONT ?

Regards

Yes, I think so, the funny thing is I think the WAN \ Config page should give you the same options regardless...I'm trying to remember if it changed for me at all.

Click on Networks

I do recall finding this setting button\gear icon and then suddenly seeing all of the options available to me.

https://192.168.2.1:8443/manage/site/default/dashboard

Actually, to be more specific, today when I log in. I click on "Manage Dream Machine", Click on "Controllers" (along the top), then Open Network. Once Open network pops - where you can see the stats of the network traffic. Click on the Gear Icon on the Bottom left hand corner and the Settings page (in Blue) opens up. Under here, you click Networks (On the left Blue bar), it shows LAN and WAN in the middle of the page and then you click on Edit to the far right of the WAN page.

I'm you want to message me when you are in front of it, I can try and work through it with you if that would help.

Hi,

Thanks again for helping out. I got it up and running this evening, as you suspected I had to set up on the main controller network page and then connect the ONT.

Still seeing the same bug as you mentioned - no internet connection but it is there as running well.

I have added a UNIFI AP as well and got it adopted so all well at the moment.
    Need to transfer over a load of IoT and set up seperate VLAN for them

Regards

slayer did you ever get this sorted?

Im on the latest controller release (6.0.41) and the VLAN is setting is in settings<internet<WAN(or WAN2 whichever one you use) click on the little edit button on the WAN you are using and it then gives you a load of options you can change, one of which is VLAN ID(Optional) and thats what i have set to 10. Have you double checked with vodafone that these settings are correct for FTTH package? We know this works for all SIRO based connections but i havent researched at all for the standard FTTH offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 chiral_fluid

https://community.ui.com/questions/ETA-on-bugfix-for-UDM-Pro-bad-PPPoE-performance/9119aa98-412f-41c7-9188-a30036c2e4c2

Most likely it's a hardware problem which will not be fixed.

The best bet is to put a PPPoE termination box in front of UDMP.

I purchased a separate EdgeRouter 4 for that.

You'll have to:

1) Setup DNAT and SNAT rule to relay all the traffic to UDMP (DMZ)
    2) Setup DNAT and SNAT rule to enable haripinning (to allow local hosts to talk with portmaps on UDMP)
    3) Fix hairpinning on UDMP firewall (lan -> edgerouter traffic must be enabled in LAN IN table)
    4) Use this thing in order to setup a cronjob which will continuously fix UPNP settings for you (ext_ip needs to be added into miniupnpd config and it must be up to date): https://github.com/boostchicken/udm-utilities

UDMP settings:
    # cat /mnt/data/on_boot.d/20-upnp.sh
    #!/bin/sh

echo "*/1 * * * * /mnt/data/upnp.sh" > /etc/cron.d/upnp-fix
    /etc/init.d/crond reload /etc/cron.d/upnp-fix

# cat /mnt/data/upnp.sh
    #!/bin/sh

WAN_IP=$(curl ifconfig.co)
    WAN_SETTING="ext_ip=$WAN_IP"
    LOG=/tmp/pnp.log
    TGT=/run/miniupnpd.conf

echo "`date`" > $LOG

if ! grep -Fxq "$WAN_SETTING" $TGT ;
    then
      sed -i "/^ext_ip/d" $TGT
      echo "ext_ip=$WAN_IP" >> $TGT
      pkill -9 -f miniupnpd
      echo "setting added: $WAN_SETTING" >> $LOG
    else
      echo "setting is already there: $WAN_SETTING" >> $LOG
    fi

EdgeRouter settings:
    ubnt@ubnt:~$ configure
    [edit]
    ubnt@ubnt# show service nat
     rule 2 {
         description DMZ-WAN
         destination {
             group {
                 address-group ADDRv4_pppoe0
             }
         }
         inbound-interface pppoe0
         inside-address {
             address 192.168.3.100
         }
         log disable
         protocol all
         type destination
     }
     rule 3 {
         description DMZ-LAN
         destination {
             group {
                 address-group ADDRv4_pppoe0
             }
         }
         inbound-interface eth3
         inside-address {
             address 192.168.3.100
         }
         log disable
         protocol all
         type destination
     }
     rule 5010 {
         description "masquerade for WAN"
         outbound-interface pppoe0
         type masquerade
     }
     rule 5011 {
         description DMZ-LAN-HAIRPIN
         destination {
             address 192.168.3.0/24
             group {
             }
         }
         log disable
         outbound-interface eth3
         protocol all
         source {
             address 192.168.3.0/24
             group {
             }
         }
         type masquerade
     }

UDM firewall rule: accept all traffic from exposed subnetwork/ip address(es) to internal EdgeRouter IP (192.168.3.1 in my case)

yea i was reading that recently as it happens. I've kind of been wondering about just having the fritzbox provided by airwire in front of the UDMP. Havent tried or researched if it can be put in router only mode etc just yet. The speed hit hasnt been an issue for me of late so havent felt the need to go checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Just got my UDM-P setup on Sky BB. Thanks for the thread OP.
    Was helpful to have when I got to the point of "where the F is the WAN config" hahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭illingworth22

I have just received my Dream Machine Pro, I upgraded from the USG 4 Pro, Any of the SIRO users have to set V LAN ID to 10 on the Dream Machine?

• Advertisement

Afternoon,

My UDM arrived, I wanted to note the setup in case any one gets one and wishes to get it up quickly. This is not a review just a quick start guide.

Current VF Wireless speeds using standard router connection to https://vfie.speedtestcustom.com/. Taken on my phone.

Router - Ping 6 ms Download 19 Mbps Upload 51.9 Mbps - 5 bars
    Attic - Ping 6 ms Download 12.2 Mbps Upload 2.4 Mbps - 1 bar

Unboxed it and started with a factory reset. Then plugged it into the LAN port on VF router to WAN port on UDM. Install using the UI App and follow the quick start guide at UI.com/QGS/UDM.

Updated firmware and setup WiFi as part of the initial setup. All very easy. Once that was completed, I disconnected VF router from ONT, powered it off, and plugged the UDM WAN port directly into the ONT.

Click on Networks
    Username is the old VF router serial number with @vfiefttc.ie, and the password is broadband. Interesting enough, it did not seem to matter if I used @vfieftth.ie, @vfiefttc.ie or Vodafone@Vodafone.ie. They all seemed to work..
    Preferred DNS: 89.19.64.36
    Alternate DNS: 89.19.64.164

Bug - Your Setup Needs Attention - 99%

What took some time to figure out is that when all of that was completed the Home screen still came up with an error "Your Setup Needs Attention - 99%" you are not connected to the Internet. This seems to a bug, as I was able to connect to the internet once I thought of testing it..

Knowing the above, it is probably a 5 min setup. The UI App is nice with lots of options however the Controller interface (192.168.2.1) has a LOADS of features, which I'm only starting to look at now.

Speedtests after on my phone.
    Router - Ping 6 ms Download 254 Mbps Upload 204 Mbps - 5 bars
    Attic - Ping 6 ms Download 130 Mbps Upload 38.3 Mbps - 1 bar
    Attic - Ping 6 ms Download 75.8 Mbps Upload 5.5 Mbps - 5 bars
    Attic - Ping 6 ms Download 41.7 Mbps Upload 18.5 Mbps - 5 bars
    Attic - Ping 6 ms Download 119.1 Mbps Upload 37.2 Mbps - 5 bars - looked like it refreshed network, I noticed the WiFi icon flashing.

Attic - PC - Ping 4 ms Download 108 Mbps Upload 28.2 Mbps - 3 bars
    Attic - PC - Ping 3 ms Download 137.8 Mbps Upload 144.6 Mbps - 3 bars
    Attic - PC - Ping 4 ms Download 135.6 Mbps Upload 141.9 Mbps - 3 bars

By chance, I needed a GeeForce driver update which was 518 MB, I downloaded it at about 16.6 MB / sec. It was quite fast.

That's it. Easy to install. Speeds are improved everywhere in the house. I was looking for stability rather that speed so time will tell in that regard. So far, I am impressed with it so far. I just need to switch everything on to it now.

Any questions, let me know happy to help.

Thanks fo this write up. My Dream Machine Pro just arrived today, I previously had a USG 4 Pro which stopped working a few weeks back and forced an upgrade.
    Anyway I have the DigiWeb fibre Siro, which I assume is similar to VF. I recall having to set the WAN port tag to 10, did you have to do this on your DMP?

It seems that your setup was simple and straightforward.... here's hoping mine goes as easy..

I have just received my Dream Machine Pro, I upgraded from the USG 4 Pro, Any of the SIRO users have to set V LAN ID to 10 on the Dream Machine?

Yes VLAN 10 with Sky on the SIRO FTTH platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Can I ask why you do a factory reset out of the box ? Since Ubiquiti stopped selling the CloudKeys we've moved all our installs to the Dream Machines instead of the USG. The setup is a cinch if you have internet with the browser immediately opening the config page on opening.
    We've done about 8 at this stage and never had an issue with any of them.

One is on a SIRO connection which was supplied with their own router so on the user side was just DHCP. The others vary between FTTH connected directly to the ONT (VLAN 10 and providers credentials required) and various LTE and Radio links. All worked first time with no errors.

It's a pity they don''t have POE though.

Ken

ZENER wrote: »
    Can I ask why you do a factory reset out of the box ? Since Ubiquiti stopped selling the CloudKeys we've moved all our installs to the Dream Machines instead of the USG. The setup is a cinch if you have internet with the browser immediately opening the config page on opening.
    We've done about 8 at this stage and never had an issue with any of them.

One is on a SIRO connection which was supplied with their own router so on the user side was just DHCP. The others vary between FTTH connected directly to the ONT (VLAN 10 and providers credentials required) and various LTE and Radio links. All worked first time with no errors.

It's a pity they don''t have POE though.

Ken

Newer ones might be fixed but there was a high volume of UDMP's that had issues on first start up early on and required a factory reset out of the box. Like all things ubiquiti it takes a while for the software to catch up.

Fairly sure the lack of POE was a conscious decision to force you to buy more products but I agree with you.

It's just a pity it doesnt handle PPPOE very well. Really at this price point it should.

Newer ones might be fixed but there was a high volume of UDMP's that had issues on first start up early on and required a factory reset out of the box. Like all things ubiquiti it takes a while for the software to catch up.

Fairly sure the lack of POE was a conscious decision to force you to buy more products but I agree with you.

It's just a pity it doesnt handle PPPOE very well. Really at this price point it should.

What are the problems it has with PPPOE? I was wondering if I should install my UDM Pro and keep the DigiWeb FritzBox doing all the routing or if I should let the UDM Pro do the PPPOE.... Thoughts?

What are the problems it has with PPPOE? I was wondering if I should install my UDM Pro and keep the DigiWeb FritzBox doing all the routing or if I should let the UDM Pro do the PPPOE.... Thoughts?

With PPPOE you can not get speeds above 750Mbs or so, particularly with IDS/IPS turned on (I see no difference with them on or off. I average 700Mbs from my 1Gb SIRO line). Its a known issue. This is when directly connected to the ONT. Its not a big issue at all for home use really but still for the investment you make it should do better.

I believe it has something to do with PPPOE only being able to use 1 thread of the processor... Im not completely familiar with the full reason but from what I've read its a hardware issue thats unlikely to be fixed. This may be wrong as it was other users on the ubiquiti forums who gave the information.

ZENER wrote: »
    Can I ask why you do a factory reset out of the box ?

Hi Ken,

I think the honest answer is because i'm old and it was just a habit. We use to always do factory resets when we were playing with new equipment just to be be 100% sure that there was no lingering installs or changes on the equipment. I can't think of any valid reason for doing it these days..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭talla

With PPPOE you can not get speeds above 750Mbs or so, particularly with IDS/IPS turned on (I see no difference with them on or off. I average 700Mbs from my 1Gb SIRO line). Its a known issue. This is when directly connected to the ONT. Its not a big issue at all for home use really but still for the investment you make it should do better.

I believe it has something to do with PPPOE only being able to use 1 thread of the processor... Im not completely familiar with the full reason but from what I've read its a hardware issue thats unlikely to be fixed. This may be wrong as it was other users on the ubiquiti forums who gave the information.

With IDS/IPS turned on I get somewhere between 650- to 740 down. With IPS/IDS disabled, I get about 920 - 940 down.

I believe if you stick something else in bridge mode in front of the UDMP and just let the UDMP do the routing/ firewall with IDS/IPS enabled, you will get the full speed but I havent tested as I'm happy with my current setup.
    Now if only thet would sort out the rest of the firmware as in its current state its just a legacy system with no further dev with half of it migrated to the new OS........

Interestingly enough there is a new Alpha s/w hoping to fix this issue.

Post edited by Rattlehead_ie on

• Advertisement

Just an update for anyone using a UDM or UDMP.

The new EA code is now publicly available with the "improvement" not fix for the PPPoE. I was lucky enough to test the alpha and can confirm it works. Pulling approx 920M on my Gig line with all IPS/IDP enabled etc

Advertisement