Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A/R Awards 2020

• 30-11-2020 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭

Its been a weird year to say the very least, i'll get these out of the way before Christmas rather than the usual version of results announced in the New Year. Again votes in the various categories to me via PM no later than Sunday the 20th of December. The following are the categories up for voting:

1. Poster of the Year.
    2. Log of the Year.
    3. Thread of the Year.
    4. Newcomer of the Year.
    5. Most Improved Runner of the Year.
    6. Race Report of the Year(Real or Virtual).
    7. Race of the Year(Real or Virtual).
    8. Post of the Year.
    9. Comeback Runner of the Year.
    10. Performance of the Year.

Like last year, use this thread for discussions on your nominations and no putting posters or other peoples nominations down. Private PM's canvassing for an award will be ignored!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I'll be thinking about these categories, but one in particular jumps out:

Thread of the Year, Race of the Year (Real or Virtual)

Without a doubt for me, the Boards series of lockdown TT's was a huge success. They were all great, but without a doubt the biggest success was the A/R 5k TT - an event that inspired almost a thousand posts in one of the liveliest threads of the year - and certainly the most positive, a tribute to its organiser/mentor, 00negative. In fact it's a contender for thread of the year too.

Still waiting on the bottle opener though. :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Ya the 5k TT was brilliant (thread and race of year). Did the guy who licked toxic covid sweat from the road survive? If so he's my post of the year vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Just to echo previous comments on the boards 5k TT which would get my vote for thread and race of the year. OONegative for poster of the year as a consequence of putting it all in motion (only silverware likely to be heading to Westmeath for a long long time too!)

Murph_D and his Virtual DCM race report opus for that category. Cracking read and captured the experience and great result at the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Just to echo previous comments on the boards 5k TT which would get my vote for thread and race of the year. OONegative for poster of the year as a consequence of putting it all in motion (only silverware likely to be heading to Westmeath for a long long time too!

Poster of the Year 2019 & Race Report 2019 winner and not a fcukin mention in either the Westmeath Independent or Examiner, a national title winner deserves more respect than that!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

OOnegative wrote: »
    Poster of the Year 2019 & Race Report 2019 winner and not a fcukin mention in either the Westmeath Independent or Examiner, a national title winner deserves more respect than that!!!!

I'd imagine the editor of those publications thought with your 2 awards that you were sailing close to being Fr Joe Briefly of "I think I should get both parachutes in case one of them doesn't work!" fame.
    Come to think of it this resembles the raffle episode "the last raffle I was at was very interesting because the people that ran the raffle actually won it!"

• Advertisement

I'd imagine the editor of those publications thought with your 2 awards that you were sailing close to being Fr Joe Briefly of "I think I should get both parachutes in case one of them doesn't work!" fame.
    Come to think of it this resembles the raffle episode "the last raffle I was at was very interesting because the people that ran the raffle actually won it!"

https://youtu.be/krPbSU_Hljc

Fr Todd is a bit like myself, he won first prize in the County Westmeath Priest of the Year competition and never got recognition........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Is performance of the year covered in race of the year B? Seems like that's a worthy category.... Shoddy work........

Dudda wrote: »
    Ya the 5k TT was brilliant (thread and race of year). Did the guy who licked toxic covid sweat from the road survive? If so he's my post of the year vote.

Still here....
    Regards,
    The artist formerly known as Sweatlicker

Is performance of the year covered in race of the year B? Seems like that's a worthy category.... Shoddy work........

There was no Performance of the Year in last years awards, some lads will always find something to moan about.........

There was no Performance of the Year in last years awards, some lads will always find something to moan about.........

Who ran the 2019 thread? More shoddy work :D:D:D

• Advertisement

Who ran the 2019 thread? More shoddy work :D:D:D

Herself has obviously tightened the chastity belt again.........

Herself has obviously tightened the chastity belt again.........

Moreso the tights are affecting flow of blood to my brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Yes, but that was a mistake last year? Seems like it can be corrected this year. I can think of a few candidates already. Maybe instead of this odd 'Comeback Runner' category, which seems new?

Murph_D wrote: »
    Yes, but that was a mistake last year? Seems like it can be corrected this year. I can think of a few candidates already...

Seeing as you asked politely & didn’t abuse me D, I’ve edited the OP and included Performance of the Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Moreso the tights are affecting flow of blood to my brain.

I haven't given in to the tights yet. Shades and suncream for me, still hanging on to the summer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

Thread of the year for me was whatever the "Running in the time of Corona" one was. Not the Events one, the toxic sweat one.

It was equally ridiculous and frustrating but if anything summed up 2020 it was those feelings! It also reflects the running forum's brief foray into the mainstream...:-)

The 5k TT thread was pretty exciting, but I think that was the Race of the Year for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

In a year of TTs and virtual races its hard to pic an "event"

The 5k TT certainly warrants it but I think its should get the best thread of the year gong for perking us all up, making it fun, competitive and disgusting at times. It was a great idea, well executed and fun to be part of.

The "race" for me at least was the 1 mile TT. Very similar to the 5k TT thread but with sheer dread to replace the novelty. I think people were gearing themselves up for pain, in a new distance that added a bit more spice to the competitiveness. It also brought the track fairies and marathon moaners in for game :D

Was wondering when someone was going to mention the clearly superior 1M TT.... Good man M.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Race of the year for me was the Raheney 5 mile, there was a good gang front here at it too. I suppose followed closely by The Day of the Irish PB's. The first boards 5km TT was brilliant I'm not sure I'd consider it a race but it was in my top 3. I'll have to give a think about the other categories

Was wondering when someone was going to mention the clearly superior 1M TT.... Good man M.

Who are ya trying to fool, easy to see you teed a fellow Treaty man up to vote for your shambolic effort of a TT........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Firstly can I just ask where has that year gone:eek:

I would agree 100% that The Thread of the year/Race of the year should go to the 5k TT. In a time of madness & uncertainty for most of us, this thread created a great buzz & motivation for people. The thread was lively & the craic was endless!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I would agree 100% that The Thread of the year/Race of the year should go to the 5k TT.

:eek::rolleyes:

skyblue46 wrote: »

HaaaaaaaaaaHaaaaaaaaaaaHaaaaaaaaaaHaaaaaaaaaaa.............

I foresee someones half marathon times suddenly declining............

skyblue46 wrote: »

Obbbvviously I couldn't pick the 1m TT as you are my mentor & that might be frowned upon...

So the very close 2nd was the 5k TT :D

I foresee someones half marathon times suddenly declining............

Please don't add fuel to this situation...

Obbbvviously I couldn't pick the 1m TT as you are my mentor & that might be frowned upon...

So the very close 2nd was the 5k TT :D

To late, your vote has been counted towards the 5k TT already.......

To late, your vote has been counted towards the 5k TT already.......

I'm sure that's a violation of my rights:eek:

I'm sure that's a violation of my rights:eek:

Report it to the person in charge of the thread, oh wait...........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭ariana`

Good on yeah B taking this on, you're some man for punishment :p

I haven't been very involved lately but that 5k thread was the closest I got to race excitement this year so that would have to get my vote for race of the year.

Murph_D is the log and race report of the year for me. I've enjoyed his log all year from the first lockdown and his shenanigans in the hills of Donegal, right through the marathon journey with the rollercoaster of trying to plan a marathon when all around you is falling apart!

I think Laineyfrecks deserves an award for her unfaltering happiness and pure joy of running throughout a pandemic (and not to mention putting up with stick from you lot :D)

Advertisement