Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

CatInABox wrote: »
    I'd have trouble describing it, to be honest, at least not without either giving away things that you might like to find out for yourself. I'll give you the starting pitch, and tell you that it goes all places from there.

You play as an insurance inspector for the East India Trading Company, tasked with solving the mystery of the Obra Dinn, a ship that disappeared with all hands and has now returned.

I'll also note that I've seen it recommended countless times on Boards, and it's won multiple Baftas, and is very highly reviewed.

Im intrigued. Must check it out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Im intrigued. Must check it out.

Just FYI

https://twitter.com/dukope/status/1317148830849069056

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I finally got around to doing the thermal paste on my One X last night. The improvement is night and day - it's gone from a fighter jet to pretty much silence. I'm annoyed I procrastinated on it for so long now. . . .and also M$ for the sh!tty original job.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

theteal wrote: »
    I finally got around to doing the thermal paste on my One X last night. The improvement is night and day - it's gone from a fighter jet to pretty much silence. I'm annoyed I procrastinated on it for so long now. . . .and also M$ for the sh!tty original job.

Congrats. Also, for anyone else sitting on the fence on doing it, it's surprisingly easy enough to do. If you can follow along to a youtube video, then you can do it.

Whats a thermal paste job?

• Advertisement

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Whats a thermal paste job?

Thermal paste sits between the CPU/GPU and the heat sink, and is a highly conductive material that aids the heat transfer from one to the other.

On some (not all) Xbox One Xs, this paste has been applied in a haphazard fashion, and can result in the fan spinning faster than it should. A faster fan is a noisier fan.

It's not the only cause of a loud Xbox One X, but it's the only one that's user fixable.

A good test game is RDR2, which is the game that caused me to replace mine.

Ah I see. Xbox One S myself, and its quiet enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hey_Listen

How loud is loud ?

My one x is a few months old and is pretty quiet on RDR2.

Anyway looks like it's easy to do. Will do it of I have to after warranty expires.

Congrats. Also, for anyone else sitting on the fence on doing it, it's surprisingly easy enough to do. If you can follow along to a youtube video, then you can do it.

Very very easy - especially so for anybody familiar with the inards of a PC. Not joking, the worst bit was getting the top cover back on which is the very last step, I was angling it arseways for about 5 mins.

Hey_Listen wrote: »
    How loud is loud ?

My one x is a few months old and is pretty quiet on RDR2.

Anyway looks like it's easy to do. Will do it of I have to after warranty expires.

At night, in a quiet house I'm quite comfortable with the TV volume set to about 5-6. If playing COD during this time I would not be able to hear the sound of the game/TV, I'd have to up it to a level that I reckon would wake the house. It was proper loud. Headset is a must. I'm sure I have a video somewhere, I'll dig it up. I should have got a fresh before and after recording last night, d'oh.

Also I think the later released One Xs are fine so you should be OK. Mine is a day one, non-scorpio.

• Advertisement

theteal wrote: »
    At night, in a quiet house I'm quite comfortable with the TV volume set to about 5-6. If playing COD during this time I would not be able to hear the sound of the game/TV, I'd have to up it to a level that I reckon would wake the house. It was proper loud. Headset is a must. I'm sure I have a video somewhere, I'll dig it up. I should have got a fresh before and after recording last night, d'oh.

Also I think the later released One Xs are fine so you should be OK. Mine is a day one, non-scorpio.

Ok thanks. Mine is quiet so :)
    Good to know.
    It was a reason I got an Xbox over a playstation.
    The one x was supposed to be very quite whereas the ps pro was very noisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

A good test game is RDR2, which is the game that caused me to replace mine.

A boss in one of the DLC's in Borderlands 3 caused me to do mine. Kept shutting down as overheat protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Expecting delivery on my Series S on Tuesday.

Had a One S but had not used it in months so no active subs on my Xbox account as present.

I see 12 months Xbox Live is 45 euro on CD Keys. Is this the best option available?

Fifa 21 (UK) Version is 51 euro on CD Keys. Will that work ok on my Irish account?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Expecting delivery on my Series S on Tuesday.

Had a One S but had not used it in months so no active subs on my Xbox account as present.

I see 12 months Xbox Live is 45 euro on CD Keys. Is this the best option available?

Fifa 21 (UK) Version is 51 euro on CD Keys. Will that work ok on my Irish account?

It's cheaper to get Brazilian live, but you need to jump through hoops. I advise getting 30 months of live and then buying a month of GPU, this should bring you to 35 months of GPU if you accept the free month for turning on auto renew and turning it off again before entering the next code.

The FIFA code will not work on an Irish account, since gifting was made available game keys can now be region specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

It's cheaper to get Brazilian live, but you need to jump through hoops. I advise getting 30 months of live and then buying a month of GPU, this should bring you to 35 months of GPU if you accept the free month for turning on auto renew and turning it off again before entering the next code.

The FIFA code will not work on an Irish account, since gifting was made available game keys can now be region specific.
    it does work as long as it say worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

rob808 wrote: »
    it does work as long as it say worldwide.

Worldwide or Europe regions will work on Irish accounts.

I was trying yesterday and today to get a old achievement I never got for 50GS. In the game I have 1950GS. I tried and I tried. It's an achievement to beat 4 rounds of the last boss fight without getting hit once. It came back to me eventually why I decided to just leave it last time as I done again today. It's pretty difficult to do and a decent bit of luck involved too.

Anything special to do when dropping an Xbox to sell in CEX ? Factory reset, clean, stick in box ?

Also, all game progress is auto saved in the cloud ? Or do I do something manually here ?

Anything special to do when dropping an Xbox to sell in CEX ? Factory reset, clean, stick in box ?

Also, all game progress is auto saved in the cloud ? Or do I do something manually here ?

That's pretty much it. Saves are auto saved to the cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

Do not uninstall every game. I made that mistake and had to wait a while for them to install one to try the console.
    The last time I sold my Xbox I left a disc game installed so all they had to do was pop the disc in to check it, saved me a lot of time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Hey all. Does anyone still own a project scorpio controller? Or perhaps just remember the below?

Is the controller battery compartment cover a special one or is it just a normal one, same as the black xbox one controllers?

I think the scorpio controller has a hint of green in it, but I can't tell :D

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Hey all. Does anyone still own a project scorpio controller? Or perhaps just remember the below?

Is the controller battery compartment cover a special one or is it just a normal one, same as the black xbox one controllers?

I think the scorpio controller has a hint of green in it, but I can't tell :D

It was black. The only green was the green writing on the front saying Project Scorpio.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

It was black. The only green was the green writing on the front saying Project Scorpio.

Okay, brilliant.
    So if I use the cover off a black controller, it'll be fine to give to CEX?
    Sorry, I'm colour blind :)

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Okay, brilliant.
    So if I use the cover off a black controller, it'll be fine to give to CEX?
    Sorry, I'm colour blind :)

Yes they are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Stupid question time (again).

Was told to get “call of duty” as a present. There’s a lot of them. Which is the latest? This is for an Xbox one.

And the bonus question, where’s the best place to get it?

Thanks.

Stupid question time (again).

Was told to get “call of duty” as a present. There’s a lot of them. Which is the latest? This is for an Xbox one.

And the bonus question, where’s the best place to get it?

Thanks.

Call of Duty: Black Ops: Cold War

See Smyths here

That's the Xbox One version, if you plan on upgrading to a Series X at some stage, then maybe you'd like the Series X version here.

Note that the Series X version includes a copy of the the Xbox One version, but rather confusingly, the Xbox One version does not contain a Series X version. To make matters more confusing, the Xbox One version will work on the Series X, but won't have the next gen features. A bit of a mess.

As to where to get the best deal, I have no idea, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭pcadhain

Almost proving the point that Activision messed this up, this is the actual link to the Series X version

pcadhain wrote: »
    Almost proving the point that Activision messed this up, this is the actual link to the Series X version

Lol, thanks. The publishers that choose to go down this route are once again proving that they don't deserve my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Lol, thanks. The publishers that choose to go down this route are once again proving that they don't deserve my money.

Listening to a few gaming podcasts over the last week, and it seems like the somewhat laughed at 'smart delivery' that xbox offers is something that Sony are having a hard time managing. Numerous reports of people downloading the last gen version of games, with no clear way on how to get the upgrade, or worse still, two copies of the same game downloading, one PS4 version and one PS5.
    I know they'll get it sorted eventually, but its a fair inconvenience. Transferring save files is apparently even more of a faff.

• Advertisement

The rubber grip is starting to peel on my gen 1 Elite controller. I think it is a common problem as I remember reading about it on here before.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement