Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The last Album You Listened to.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

The last album I listened to was Tango in the Night by Fleetwood Mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Lockheed

Today, Animals by Pink Floyd.

Always a treat to listen to a PF album start to finish.

The last album I listened to was Oh Mercy by Bob Dylan.

The last album I listened to was Suzanne Vega by Suzanne Vega.

The last album I listened to was New York by Lou Reed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Thesiger

Northern Exposure 1, Disc 1 - Sasha & Digweed.

The last album I listened to was Days of Open Hand by Suzanne Vega.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I was listening to Funeral by Arcade Fire over the past few days. Getting reacquainted, it had been a good few years since I listened to it. It's as amazing still to be honest. I can't listen to it without being transported back to the Winter of '05 and having it on the go in my discman - remember those - for an extended period. That was the time of my first proper romance and the songs really do bring back so many of the wild wondrous emotions of that time.

But, even taking that into account, objectively it's still an absolute knockout of an album. No song is bad, most are unbelievable. It was so fresh at the time - there was nothing else like it. But now I really appreciated how confident and marvelously layered all the songs are. And there's a euphoria to it, but with a bit of darkness that stops it from becoming sappy.

I got a lump in my throat for this one -

Yeah, I know, we've all heard it a million times. But it immediately made me think of hearing it constantly a the end of the night in the local indie club and every sloshed person in the room - which is to say, everyone - getting all melodramatic and singing along like a fool. That was normal life, guys, wasn't it great? And to think we took it for granted...

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Lockheed

The Idiot by Iggy Pop

enough said :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Just listened to bruce springsteen new album.
    Letter to you.
    Not impressed. Nothing original in my view sound wise or theme wise. By the numbers

• Advertisement

The last album I listened to was Best..1 by The Smiths.

The last album I listened to was Still Got The Blues by Gary Moore.

The last album I listened to was Live in the City of Light by Simple Minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Bruce Springsteen - Letters to You

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Bruce Springsteen - Letters to You

Snap;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

The last album I listened to was After the Goldrush by Neil Young

Snap;)

I watched the documentary of it on Apple TV the other night and enjoyed it, so stuck the album on today and have been impressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Working from home has been great for being able to listen to music while plugging away.

Today I listened to the new Actress album - Karma & Desire. based on a recommendation from a friend. I was a few songs through it and then realised that I had actually listened to it already a couple of weeks ago and hadn't liked it. I find it quite repetitive and draining in parts. The 2nd listen invoked the same feeling about the album. I'm absolutely not averse to repetitive music, quite the opposite generally in fact but this I did not gel with.

I then moved on to Jyoti - Mama, You Can Bet! which again was another recommendation that i had really enjoyed a few weeks ago. Never heard of Jyoti before but I was very impressed with this, it's warm, jazz tainted, great vocals and a good mix which really grabs your interest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Mike Oldfield's AMAROK. It is quality and a great listen.

amarok_tracks_full_0.jpg

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Mike Oldfield's AMAROK. It is quality and a great listen.

amarok_tracks_full_0.jpg

I love Mike Oldfield but am not aware of that album, must give it a listen.

My Dad was a big Mike Oldfield fan back in the day and we always listened to his albums when dragging a caravan around Ireland on family holidays. Brings back great memories and I think a lot of the music still stands up well.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

jiltloop wrote: »
    I love Mike Oldfield but am not aware of that album, must give it a listen.

My Dad was a big Mike Oldfield fan back in the day and we always listened to his albums when dragging a caravan around Ireland on family holidays. Brings back great memories and I think a lot of the music still stands up well.

It is fairly abstract in parts, but it is one of my favourites. Has a great leaning to both Spanish and Irish Trad music, almost Galician. It is really good.

The last album I listened to was Man Alive by The 4 of Us.

The Killers - Sam's Town

• Registered Users Posts: 12,836 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Fading Frontier - Deerhunter

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Anti Flag - 20/20 Vision
    Or to be more accurate, 20/20 di-vision as its the expanded edition.
    It is very apt for the year that's in it.

The last album I listened to was Magical Ring by Clannad.

Rothko wrote: »
    Fading Frontier - Deerhunter

Great album.

Currently listening to Biosphere - Substrata

A fantastic album that always whisks me away to I don't know where. Favourite track - Kobresia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

jiltloop wrote: »
    Currently listening to Biosphere - Substrata

A fantastic album that always whisks me away to I don't know where. Favourite track - Kobresia

A masterpiece. "The Things I Tell You" is my particular favourite.

The last album I listened to in full was David Bowie - Metrobolist. Tony Visconti's latest remix project for Bowie's "The Man Who Sold The World".

Not impressed with this at all. Everything except the guitars have been narrowed, no stereo width at all to the drums except for the original title track where they have been brought more to the front. In doing that you can clearly hear why they were buried in the original mix as there are some awkward and sloppy sounding fills from Woodmansey, no disrespect to him as he was a decent drummer.

Visconti's previous remixes for Lodger, Space Oddity and Stage have been okay, but this one doesn't work at all, for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Songs_in_the_key_of_life.jpg

Continuing the Top 100 albums theme is Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life, which arrived last week. My only experience of his prior to this was owning the Definitive Collection. I can see why this is regarded so highly, it's fantastic. So 70s, so groovy and funky but so easy to listen to.

Advertisement