Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sean Connery RIP

• 31-10-2020 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭

The BBC is reporting that Sir Sean Connery has died at the age of 90. I don't have any more details, but he was out of the public eye for years and there were some reports of ill health.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ah that is tremendously sad if true.
    He was a cracking bond

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Very sad to hear, the best Bond by a mile

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Sad to hear this. In his prime, for me, the best Bond ever. And in his later years he still oozed charisma, putting in a great performance in movies like Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade, Entrapment and The Rock. One of the all-time greats.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

RIP, definitely had one of the coolest and most natural onscreen presences I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭facehugger99

What a screen presence.

Effortlessly suave, incredibly handsome and charismatic.

Set the standard by which all Bonds will be judged.

Will raise a martini to him later and put on Goldfinger.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Legend, RIP

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,089 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A candidate for the best accent in the history of cinema. His screen presence wasn’t too shabby either ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Caegan

Best Bond ever, RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s confirmed...

https://news.sky.com/story/sir-sean-connery-james-bond-actor-dies-aged-90-12119570

Brilliant bond. Seemed like a nice fella off the screen too. Lived one hell of a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭JoeA3

So sad :( RIP. Loved him as James Bond, unquestionably “the” James Bond.

Later years he put in some really memorable performances in non-Bond movies. The few that stick our in my mind - Indiana Jones’s Dad in The Last Crusade (my favourite Indy movie), the Untouchables, and some classic 90’s action The Rock and the Hunt for the Red October.

• Advertisement

He had a great run from 86-90.

Highlander, Name of the Rose, The Untouchables, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and Hunt for Red October.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Fantastic actor, great screen presence, but I always laughed when he claimed to love Scotland, he loved it so much that lived in Los Angeles since about 1960.RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 35,610 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Beric Dondarrion

Genuinely gutted to read this. RiP Mr. Connery, loved him in most of the stuff put out - Bond, The Rock, Indiana Jones, Name of the Rose......a true acting legend😟

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

:( x 1000

I'm not even thinking about Bond, he was so much better in other roles. From the delightful cool king cameo in "Time Bandits" to being broken in the glasshouse in "the Hill"

Totally compelling screen presence.

1000x-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

He had a great run from 86-90.

Highlander, Name of the Rose, The Untouchables, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and Hunt for Red October.

Name of the Rose, very underrated some great actors in it.
    RIP Mr Bond aka Sean Connery.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

RIP, he was the best of the Bond actors.

Great foil in Indiana jones, forgetting about Crystal skull. Bested Ford there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

RIP; a powerhouse of charisma and swagger in his heyday, with a string of great performances outside his Bond work.

His string of passed over scripts in the late 90s makes for an interesting "what if?"; if he went for the Gandalf or Matrix roles rather than eventually jumping on the next blockbuster script that came his way - the awful League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Shred

So very sad, he was an absolute giant of the silver screen, R.I.P. Mr. Connery.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,978 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

RIP. what an actor. condolences to family and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Awe thats sad. What an actor. He was/is a legend.
    Lived to a good age do of 90.

RIP Sean Connery.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Aw ****. This one got me bad. ****ing Sean Connery. I thought he was invincible.

The Rock it is tonight then. Or the Untouchables.

Nah. Its gonna be Highlander.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭fluke

You're the man now dog.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 18,902 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Sad to hear, but been expecting it for some time. An interview I saw of him a couple of years ago displayed a severe and noticeable downward tick in health.

Strangely enough, instead of his Bond role which many will remember him for, I've always preferred him outside of Bond. He made some genuinely great films, 'The Hill', 'The Man Who Would Be King', 'A Bridge Too Far', 'The Name of the Rose', 'The Offence', 'Outland' and the wonderfully mad 'Zardoz', I would put down as some of my favourites.

One of the great Hollywood screen actors, despite his limitations.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,279 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

One of the true greats. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭MfMan

Ya, look out for The Offence, a piece of 70s crime grimness, starring everyone in British cinema and TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Tony EH wrote: »
    Strangely enough, instead of his Bond role which many will remember him for, I've always preferred him outside of Bond. He made some genuinely great films, 'The Hill', 'The Man Who Would Be King', 'A Bridge Too Far', 'The Name of the Rose', 'The Offence', 'Outland' and the wonderfully mad 'Zardoz', I would put down as some of my favourites.
    I'd second The Man Who Would Be King. I've hugely enjoyed several less well remembered movies of his in recent months, including Robin and Marian, The Anderson Tapes, and The Wind and the Lion.

I have Shalako and The Russia House to hand, and have never seen either. I think I'll give them a spin in his honour tonight.

Advertisement