Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate All-Ireland Landmark Tournament

1616263646567»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Kolido wrote: »
    It's a hell of a walk up the Eiffel Tower but well worth it, one of my favourite places. You want disappointment, go to the Coliseum, very overrated.
    I've been to the Coliseum twice and liked it. Once though, I got a ticket for the underground, arena floor and top tier. That's so much better, but the tickets are harder to get hold of. Well worth it if you get a chance though (they weren't expensive, just sold out as soon as they went on sale a couple of months in advance, just need to find out when and be on the ball)

All that said, I much preferred walking round the Forum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

It's a hell of a walk up the Eiffel Tower but well worth it, one of my favourite places. You want disappointment, go to the Coliseum, very overrated.

Its just heights that is my problem. I thought I could handle it, but it was very windy & my head was spinning & I thought I was gonna puke.
    I got the lift up, & back down as soon as I could. Couldn't do the stairs, no way.

Heard the pyramids are a bit of a let down. In being much smaller than you'd have though ??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,705 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

The Colosseum is brilliant. A great place to let your imagination run wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

tenor.gif?itemid=4117278

Jaysus, if there's this level of competitive needling before the game even starts, I fear for all our safety (and sanity) when it gets going :eek:

Are you sure you actually want to get into this, Omackeral??? You're a braver eejit than me for sure!!

(And I post this as someone who got seriously exercised when the Skelligs got eliminated !!)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Yeah I’ll be fine doing it! I’m gonna get the format down this weekend and plan what way it’ll run. Then get around to organising it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,350 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

I've been to the Coliseum twice and liked it. Once though, I got a ticket for the underground, arena floor and top tier. That's so much better, but the tickets are harder to get hold of. Well worth it if you get a chance though (they weren't expensive, just sold out as soon as they went on sale a couple of months in advance, just need to find out when and be on the ball)

All that said, I much preferred walking round the Forum

It was just the basic tour we did I think. I found Rome in general pretty boring though. I don't want to paint it bad for everyone, it is obviously steeped in history. I did like the Forum tbf. It is about 15 years ago since I was there so my opinion of it could have changed by now :)

However, don't even get me started on Venice, what a dump.

However, don't even get me started on Venice, what a dump.
    Agree 100% this time! Hated Venice. The only good thing about it is the direct train to Ljubljana (cracking city!)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,350 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Has the ultimate city/holiday destination (probably a bit vague) world edition be done? That would be fun and informative for when we all get back to flying again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

Has the ultimate city/holiday destination (probably a bit vague) world edition be done? That would be fun and informative for when we all get back to flying again :)

ooh I'd love that!!

I know these tournaments throw up weird results but surely New York wins that easily?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

I think it has legs. Especially as I don't seem to be going out as much.

I know these tournaments throw up weird results but surely New York wins that easily?!

I'm not so sure. Maybe just showing my lack of knowledge. Maybe there needs to be a dedicated section to canvas votes before it all gets down and dirty? I don't know, I'm just spit-balling.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,014 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The Colosseum is brilliant. A great place to let your imagination run wild.

I loved it except for the queue but I'm sure that's probably better now with online booking and stuff. I was also lucky enough to see an impromptu gladiator fight there as one of the lads dressed in Roman gear for the tourists was a little drunk and got in a fight with another so we got 2 centurions going at it in front of us

One word..... Skelligs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

depends on what you want out of a holiday I guess!

depends on what you want out of a holiday I guess!

Absolutely.

Of all the holidays I've been on, and they vary wildly, trekking in northern Ethiopia is up there with the best of them.

If you gave me the choice of that or a five star week in NY, I know which I'd pick!

I just think these tend to be won by something that loads of people have in their top five or so. Most people's first places would vary, so the universally reasonably popular often see through. And I'd imagine New York is reasonably well placed on loads of people's lists

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Absolutely.

Of all the holidays I've been on, and they vary wildly, trekking in northern Ethiopia is up there with the best of them.

If you gave me the choice of that or a five star week in NY, I know which I'd pick!
    Seconded.

Have been in New York; it was interesting but a bit bland overall. Maybe because you see so much of it on telly anyway (even for me, who doesn't watch much telly)

Spent a week in Lofoten in Norway last year and there was no contest for me. Trekking in the Simiens looks great too.

I'd still be worried that a huge tournament will throw up too many clichés (like New York) and not enough hidden gems (like the Ireland one did). And it'll definitely lead to huge rows between those who's rather go to New York or Lofoten/Ethiopia! But sure we'll see how it goes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,705 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

New York is grand. Plenty to see.

Just lacks the history and mystique of other cities, for me.

cdeb wrote: »
    Seconded.

Have been in New York; it was interesting but a bit bland overall. Maybe because you see so much of it on telly anyway (even for me, who doesn't watch much telly)

Spent a week in Lofoten in Norway last year and there was no contest for me. Trekking in the Simiens looks great too.

I'd still be worried that a huge tournament will throw up too many clichés (like New York) and not enough hidden gems (like the Ireland one did). And it'll definitely lead to huge rows between those who's rather go to New York or Lofoten/Ethiopia! But sure we'll see how it goes. :)

Ide like to say my holiday to New York was bland but seeing as it was on sept 10/11 2001 it was pretty eventful

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Ide like to say my holiday to New York was bland but seeing as it was on sept 10/11 2001 it was pretty eventful

I’m sorry but that made me laugh

:D

Sorry

• Advertisement

I’m sorry but that made me laugh

:D

Sorry

Don't worry I don't mind. We had benn in the US 2 years before and went to the FBI centre the day before a mass shooting there and the family I was on holiday with went on to get caught in London on holiday for 7/7 and the London riots. I later lived in London and had a flat and job half way between Westminster and London bridge for both those insidents. So it's a bit of a running joke in the family

We were up having showers gettiny ready to go there to do the tour that morning when we got a call telling us to turn on the news. We got the call so quick that I was watching the news live as the second plane went in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭pimpmyhat

breezy1985 wrote: »

The date ?

pimpmyhat wrote: »
    The date ?

Im not sure what your question is?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Nominations for the Ultimate World Landmark Tournament are now open.

Advertisement