Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Just Do It

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

I'm almost certain its just a tweaked muscle. The first 36 hours were a world of pain and discomfort but its has loosened a fair bit since.

Yeh I do very little core work if any. Thanks for the tip

That's great news D.
    Hopefully it keeps improving in the next few days. I wouldn't pressurise yourself though, all that quality training is in the bank and can be drawn down at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Thats crap about the back tweak and good that it is easing. +1 to TbL advise about core.

You probably dont notice doing a bit of core if you are running every day. I didn't run for 4 weeks and basically rowed (which works cores) and spent time on the mat. When I eventually did go back out for a run:
    1. I felt aerobically good
    2. Hills didn't bother me!

The second bit is significant as usually after any time off hills particularly feel like a slog and I feel my posture become more zombie like. After all the core I felt stronger and more upright! Its like not seeing your niece/nephew for a month and they grow 2 inches... the difference was that stark.

And not just core... general S&C :)

Good luck with the TT taper and prep. Im very interested to read how it turns out for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

That's great news D.
    Hopefully it keeps improving in the next few days. I wouldn't pressurise yourself though, all that quality training is in the bank and can be drawn down at any time.

Cheers J, although I wouldn't say anytime the way I'm putting away food at the min. The window is getting smaller and I'm getting bigger :)

Thats crap about the back tweak and good that it is easing. +1 to TbL advise about core.

You probably dont notice doing a bit of core if you are running every day. I didn't run for 4 weeks and basically rowed (which works cores) and spent time on the mat. When I eventually did go back out for a run:
    1. I felt aerobically good
    2. Hills didn't bother me!

The second bit is significant as usually after any time off hills particularly feel like a slog and I feel my posture become more zombie like. After all the core I felt stronger and more upright! Its like not seeing your niece/nephew for a month and they grow 2 inches... the difference was that stark.

And not just core... general S&C :)

Good luck with the TT taper and prep. Im very interested to read how it turns out for you!

thanks M, super insight.

Cheers for the advice above folks. My last update may have contained a bit of the "poor me" amateur dramatics vibe. At that stage I was genuinely thinking I had no chance of running a time trial this weekend. I just wanted to be able to walk and get up from the couch without writhing in pain. I popped a few Nurofen Plus over the 30 hr period and the horrible seizing feeling just eased up . Over the next 2 days the stiffness was also subsiding. Ive been working on my core delicately ever since and yesterdays 2 miles at MP, I felt no discomfort during or after. I had an easy 30 minutes this morn to keep me loose and will do something similar on Saturday.

I'll be having a crack at a sub 3 attempt then early on Sunday. Looking forward to it but apprehensive at the same time. I should have have the help of one or two lads to help pace me late on , if I make it that far .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Cheers for the advice above folks. My last update may have contained a bit of the "poor me" amateur dramatics vibe. At that stage I was genuinely thinking I had no chance of running a time trial this weekend. I just wanted to be able to walk and get up from the couch without writhing in pain. I popped a few Nurofen Plus over the 30 hr period and the horrible seizing feeling just eased up . Over the next 2 days the stiffness was also subsiding. Ive been working on my core delicately ever since and yesterdays 2 miles at MP, I felt no discomfort during or after. I had an easy 30 minutes this morn to keep me loose and will do something similar on Saturday.

I'll be having a crack at a sub 3 attempt then early on Sunday. Looking forward to it but apprehensive at the same time. I should have have the help of one or two lads to help pace me late on , if I make it that far .

I’d recommend an easy sports massage on the back (ideally tonight) to tease out any remaining stiffness, it could spasm again easily especially if overworked

TbL

Edit: take some magnesium supplement it’s an excellent muscle relaxants

I’d recommend an easy sports massage on the back (ideally tonight) to tease out any remaining stiffness, it could spasm again easily especially if overworked

TbL

Edit: take some magnesium supplement it’s an excellent muscle relaxants

Cheers, I was actually up with the physio yesterday which I failed to mention above.

In terms of the supplement, how far out would you take that. There may be certain muscles I don't want too relaxed if you catch my drift ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Cheers, I was actually up with the physio yesterday which I failed to mention above.

In terms of the supplement, how far out would you take that. There may be certain muscles I don't want too relaxed if you catch my drift ;)

ðŸ‘

Mmm, fair point. I stopped taken ibuprofen (unless things were really bad) and started taking magnesium, I’m used to it now so it doesn’t effect me. I’d say you definitely be ok taking one tonight and one tomorrow night but ask your pharmacist if you’re considering it.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Best of luck D. If all things were equal, and DCM was on the horizon I'd be backing you to smash sub 3...Hopefully the TT goes just as well. There will be some dodgy spots in there and times when you need to dig in, but they'll pass. You're in super shape so get after it. Sorry I can't help out ;)

healy1835 wrote: »
    Best of luck D. If all things were equal, and DCM was on the horizon I'd be backing you to smash sub 3...Hopefully the TT goes just as well. There will be some dodgy spots in there and times when you need to dig in, but they'll pass. You're in super shape so get after it. Sorry I can't help out ;)

Cheers J

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Very best of luck D on Sunday! Your training has been impeccable, all the hard work is done :D
    I'll be eagerly awaiting to see you pop up on my Strava on Sunday, our sub 3 hero ;)
    Enjoy as much of it as you can!

Very best of luck D on Sunday! Your training has been impeccable, all the hard work is done :D
    I'll be eagerly awaiting to see you pop up on my Strava on Sunday, our sub 3 hero ;)
    Enjoy as much of it as you can!

Cheers E. I'm looking forward to cracking open a few cold bulmers on Sunday, whatever the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Was following your training with interest right up until you stole my coach, at which point I started really really following with interest. Haha.
    Pity you're not getting a chance to give it a go in a full on race but you will do great no doubt. Your progress has been pretty impressive to follow. Get after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Ooh best of luck on Sunday! I might drive around Dundrum to try spot you .. and heckle you :)
    Excited to see how you go!

Was following your training with interest right up until you stole my coach, at which point I started really really following with interest. Haha.
    Pity you're not getting a chance to give it a go in a full on race but you will do great no doubt. Your progress has been pretty impressive to follow. Get after it.

:) Cheers man, its a pity alright about race but I have focused in now on task in hand. Yeh alot of thanks to that man to be even in with a shout at the goal.

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Ooh best of luck on Sunday! I might drive around Dundrum to try spot you .. and heckle you :)
    Excited to see how you go!

haha cheers. Since you could be in your car, could you pretend to break down and block the road at junction between DTC and Balally Luas stop plz. I have to navigate getting thru there 4 times, hence the early start :)

Sub 3 is the goal? Head out at 6:48 pace maybe, give yourself a little bit of a cushion maybe?

Sub 3 is the goal? Head out at 6:48 pace maybe, give yourself a little bit of a cushion maybe?

Yeh,I can't imagine it will be a million miles from that anyway. My (10km)loop starts with a drag mile but I'm planning to do the extra 2.2km first on a flat/slight downhill enough section so I'm conscious not to go off too fast at same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

All the very best Sunday morning D.

You are in super shape after great consistent block of training. Applegirl has a great saying "you've trained to endure the pain". Go get it, you are going to smash it!

All the very best Sunday morning D.

You are in super shape after great consistent block of training. Applegirl has a great saying "you've trained to endure the pain". Go get it, you are going to smash it!

Cheers J. nice saying that..

• Advertisement

Yeh,I can't imagine it will be a million miles from that anyway. My (10km)loop starts with a drag mile but I'm planning to do the extra 2.2km first on a flat/slight downhill enough section so I'm conscious not to go off too fast at same time.

I presume you're going to be on the start line for 6 AM?? :)

I presume you're going to be on the start line for 6 AM?? :)

:) it won't be that early due to getting food on board this time

No don't. Negative split it.

Best of luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

The very best of luck to you. You've put in some block of training. Looking forward to reading about it after.

No don't. Negative split it.

Best of luck :D

Can't remember...did you negative split Limerick Mike?

Can't remember...did you negative split Limerick Mike?

Here you go.. might be worth a read before your TTs :)
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110112627&postcount=215

Here you go.. might be worth a read before your TTs :)
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110112627&postcount=215

Thing of beauty

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Very best of luck Sunday D, your dedication to training in current climates is to be hugely admired man. Stick to the plan you & Coach have come to, he rarely gets it wrong. Run well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

:) it won't be that early due to getting food on board this time

I had assumed you would be eating breakfast at 3am.................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

All the best

Advertisement