Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8841637/Merriam-Webster-changes-sexual-preference-offensive-term-following-SCOTUS-hearing.html

Now the liberals are saying preference is offensive, how do these people go about their day.

The word choice there IS offensive, gay people have spent decades fighting against the crap that they “choose” to be gay and along come the gender morons with their “identifying as a lesbian” and “female penis” bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Cordell

begbysback wrote: »
    So you are saying that in prison there is no gay for the stay?

No, you can't unsuck that coc. If you were so inclined to do it while locked up, you had it in you all along.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Cordell wrote: »
    No, you can't unsuck that coc. If you were so inclined to do it while locked up, you had it in you all along.

I really want to go full on Kenneth Williams at that!!!

Gervais08 wrote: »
    The word choice there IS offensive, gay people have spent decades fighting against the crap that they “choose” to be gay and along come the gender morons with their “identifying as a lesbian” and “female penis” bull****.

Perhaps, but speak to most Bisexuals and they would defend the use of the term, sexual preference, because there are preferences involved. The attraction and desire is there for both genders, but it's rare that it's completely equal. Usually, there's some preference for one or the other. Right now, I'd be considered heterosexual since I've got my attention firmly fixed on women, but I often swing the other way too... it's based on attraction, but there is a conscious decision too. A sexual preference.

The problem with these movements to shut down words, is that they seek to remove nuance from language. Context is key. The manner in which people structure their statements. People should be responsible for how they choose to structure their sentences, and the choices they make with picking certain words... this movement to remove or vilify words dumbs down the language so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

The problem is they have a fundamental misunderstanding of language and how it communicates ideas.

They continually redefine words rather than engage with the accepted sense of the word.

Like so many other things, they are cancelling the meaning of words so they can ignore ideas, or recreate those words to their own liking.

The obvious problem with this is, once you set a precedent, then anyone can come along and say what they like and expect it to be held as true. Just because it is their truth.

Its like dealing with children.

• Advertisement

Biker79 wrote: »
    Its like dealing with children.

To be fair, Children have more sense...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

im tall can i be offended if somebody calls me tall? i didnt choose my height

Yes, there was just as much choice on that too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭wassie

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    im tall can i be offended if somebody calls me tall? i didnt choose my height

Maybe you should stop talking down to them. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Preference doesn't imply conscious choice, it just means you like one thing more than another thing. It makes no assumption as to why.

Polygender prerogative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Gervais08 wrote: »

I didn't choose to prefer beer to wine. That doesn't mean i don't prefer it. I didn't choose to prefer football to rugby, dogs to cats, red to blue. We all have hundreds of preferences we didn't choose. Preference doesn't imply choice.

You either prefer having sex with men or women - it's as simple as that.

If you're offended by your own preference you're a fúcking bell end!

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Polygender prerogative.

I like their first couple of albums, went downhill after that though:D

You either prefer having sex with men or women - it's as simple as that.

Or both..... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

If you're offended by your own preference you're a fúcking bell end!

icon14.png.

Or both..... ?

You can have sex with both, but you can only prefer 1.

You can have sex with both, but you can only prefer 1.

Polarised tainted discrimination of sexual prerogative.

Polarised tainted discrimination of sexual prerogative.

I have to hand it to you, you know your 80's synth pop bands;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

wassie wrote: »
    Maybe you should stop talking down to them. :rolleyes:

ah no its just my preferred way of talking to people.

I have to hand it to you, you know your 80's synth pop bands;)

Passive aggressive stereotyping of musical preference disparity.

Punitive social categorization.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

A lot if this I think is due to the algorithm on social media platforms. They have allowed people to cultivate their own echo chamber and news feed, thus they get manipulated view of things. Which is furtile ground for radicalism to flourish. It essentially has created a very polarised view of the world and continues to reinforce that view. If we just got rod of these social media platforms, it would be a great step at getting us back to a place where we find commonality, a ficus more on what unites us than what divides us.

Note that social media platforms that don't have things like the algorithm and a news feed are less prone to this, for example forums, which while 'old, I think are the future.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Preference doesn't imply conscious choice, it just means you like one thing more than another thing. It makes no assumption as to why.

It's the opposite of choice, really. Choice means deciding between two things on their merits, a preference will make that choice for you.

• Advertisement

A lot if this I think is due to the algorithm on social media platforms. They have allowed people to cultivate their own echo chamber and news feed, thus they get manipulated view of things. Which is furtile ground for radicalism to flourish. It essentially has created a very polarised view of the world and continues to reinforce that view. If we just got rod of these social media platforms, it would be a great step at getting us back to a place where we find commonality, a ficus more on what unites us than what divides us.

Note that social media platforms that don't have things like the algorithm and a news feed are less prone to this, for example forums, which while 'old, I think are the future.

If regulators forced a primary business model of subscription-based services, rather than free with data sold on to advertisers....this would make all the difference.

It's the opposite of choice, really. Choice means deciding between two things on their merits, a preference will make that choice for you.

Nah. There's still choice involved. You might rely completely on subconscious decision making, in which case, there is little choice involved (dependent on your past experience and the habit pathways you've encouraged to be established), but any degree of conscious thought about the decision will give you the steering wheel.

A preference simply says that this is preferable... that it's better than that. You can still choose the former rather than the latter, although your instincts will continue to influence you towards the latter.

Ah FFS!! Is nothing sacred:mad:

Although that colonel fella does have the look of a plantation owner off him, now that you mention it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I got to the part about new found chicken shops lacking soul. As if to say KFC had it in the first place.

That piece should be rewritten about potatoes and Ireland instead of Jamaican. Or snails and France instead of Jamaican

Don't really get it, should I stop eating KFC because it's racist to do so, or should I stop eating what the n word people eat?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

The fried chicken reminded me of an Ice-T track from an album I bought in the early 90s. The first 7 seconds were a favourite of my brother, who was in his very early teens at the time...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

(I'm probably doing this woke-ism thing wrong...)

Me too - i'm thinking KFC for lunch;)

• Advertisement

There's always the WokeCup Cafe. Grab a coffee and be assimilated into the collective...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement