Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Three Ireland 5G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

I got their text yesterday saying that 5G was now live & picked it up on the outskirts of Cork City at lunchtime...happy days !

What speeds are you seeing?

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭j14

1huge1 wrote: »
    Three do have a 5G enabled mast in the centre of Lucan as far as I can see,

https://siteviewer.comreg.ie/#site/DU0984/53.3559002864/-6.4508275616/1/Site%20DU0984

Not sure how close you are to that.

I'm exactly 2km from there and according to Three 5G will not be available at my address nor most of my neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Another speed test this evening approximately 500M from mast stationery outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Another speed test this evening approximately 500M from mast stationery outside.

Think you need to stop running speedtests, you are killing the rest of the 3 network :D:D:D
    https://downdetector.ie/status/3/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,120 ✭✭✭beer enigma

What speeds are you seeing?

I got 390 but it dropped after a while so guessing they were testing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Is that comreg siteviewer up to date? I was checkin my parents house and Three shows 5G coverage, there is a mast up the hill behind them but not showing as 5G (NR?), tried other masts around but couldn't find any with NR.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭borygo77

What's the name of this speedtest Kenny? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

borygo77 wrote: »
    What's the name of this speedtest Kenny? ;)

I'm using nPerf and doing some mapping etc also

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nperf.tester

• Registered Users Posts: 36,160 ✭✭✭✭ED E

chris_ie wrote: »
    Is that comreg siteviewer up to date? I was checkin my parents house and Three shows 5G coverage, there is a mast up the hill behind them but not showing as 5G (NR?), tried other masts around but couldn't find any with NR.

To the minute? No. Usually within a month or two of the current would be my impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭long_b

Silly question, but no reason to expect 5G coverage in places where 4G doesn't currently reach, right? Or have they added a rake of new masts too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭KildareP

long_b wrote: »
    Silly question, but no reason to expect 5G coverage in places where 4G doesn't currently reach, right? Or have they added a rake of new masts too?
    Unlikely.

Any of the 5G-ready masts have had work done to them over the last 12-18 months to enable 4G+, if they hadn't got it already.

5G tends to need upgraded backhaul so it wouldn't make sense to add 5G without upgrading the backhaul and in turn it wouldn't make sense to go to that effort and not enable 4G as well.

They upgraded a whole cluster of cells over a large kilometre radius around home (boglands of Kildare) in the last 12 months that were previously 3G only to 4G+ and which now show as serving 5G on their coverage map.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lankz92

Apparently i can get 5g. Out in thr country but fairly close to a small town. Can see the nearest mast from my window so fingers crossed that one was done, but id think it was the one in town about 3km away.

Got a sim in a router. Up till about a month ago i could pull 15mb on 3g 24/7. 4g would be about 60-80mb off peak. Drop to around 5mb in the evenings so i just left it in 3g mode 90% of the time. The last 3-4 weeks im lucky to get 5mb on either at any time, assume because of works, but now im thinking its a ploy to get people to buy 5g devices lol.

Eithet way when the news came out monday and i seen i had coverage on the map i ordered a 5g router straight away. Should be here today or tomorrow. I shall report back with speeds when i get it up and running.

lankz92 wrote: »
    Apparently i can get 5g. Out in thr country but fairly close to a small town. Can see the nearest mast from my window so fingers crossed that one was done, but id think it was the one in town about 3km away.

Got a sim in a router. Up till about a month ago i could pull 15mb on 3g 24/7. 4g would be about 60-80mb off peak. Drop to around 5mb in the evenings so i just left it in 3g mode 90% of the time. The last 3-4 weeks im lucky to get 5mb on either at any time, assume because of works, but now im thinking its a ploy to get people to buy 5g devices lol.

Eithet way when the news came out monday and i seen i had coverage on the map i ordered a 5g router straight away. Should be here today or tomorrow. I shall report back with speeds when i get it up and running.

What Router did you order?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭padair

Also interested in this.

Huawei h112-370... wasnt exactly cheap lol

Cheapest option iv seen is netgear at about £250, but it has a 4g and 5g version so i didnt want to end up with the wrong one. The huawei was £300 used on ebay.

Huawei h112-370... wasnt exactly cheap lol

Cheapest option iv seen is netgear at about £250, but it has a 4g and 5g version so i didnt want to end up with the wrong one. The huawei was £300 used on ebay.

Thanks, let us know how you get on with it

Id imagine they wont be cheap. Probly getting ready to launch the bill pay plans.

Not looking like mines turning up today. Dpd said the 1st. So i was hopefull. Zero update on tracking since last night. Tbh i thought it would be friday anyway.
    Sims setup and ready to go so i'll update yous tomorrow night.

Right well iv it set up. Routers giving me much better speeds, however no 5g.
    Do i need a different apn maybe? Im well in the coverage area on the map.
    Guess im off running about the garden with an extension lead haha.

• Advertisement

What SIM are you using in it? Have you checked the Coverage map?

Have you activated 5g subscription

Payg sim. 5g add on purchased. Map shows coverage.
    On to chat now. Telling me county monaghan has no 5g at all despite the map showing a fair bit of coverage ???

Payg sim. 5g add on purchased. Map shows coverage.
    On to chat now. Telling me county monaghan has no 5g at all despite the map showing a fair bit of coverage ???

Well balls to them deckers, publishing that ****e to make them look good

padair wrote: »
    Well balls to them deckers, publishing that ****e to make them look good

Im not impressed. Chat cut me off too when i asked to double check the 5g add on was active.

On the plus side the new router is pulling a stable 60/70meg so its not a total loss. Still feel duped. Ima give chat another shot see what they say again.

And chat guy number 2 says i can get it.
    Uh, i dunno, i'll bring it into work tomorrow, shoukd have coverage there.

Okay have been on to the chat a few times now.
    Without telling them its a router lol
    They said to manually select the network and the huawei router seems to be locked on auto. Get the feeling im screwed here. Grrrr. I'll hold onto it for now. Its a uk router, that i know will work on uk 3 so i dont see it being the issue, its almost like they have them locked out some way.
    Will be in a better location at work tomorrow so i'll play about with it there see if it makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

Okay have been on to the chat a few times now.
    Without telling them its a router lol
    They said to manually select the network and the huawei router seems to be locked on auto. Get the feeling im screwed here. Grrrr. I'll hold onto it for now. Its a uk router, that i know will work on uk 3 so i dont see it being the issue, its almost like they have them locked out some way.
    Will be in a better location at work tomorrow so i'll play about with it there see if it makes a difference.

Would you have access to a 5G capable phone? Probably easier to test out different locations.
    Then you could get a good idea if it's the router or not.
    I know they'll be adding their 5G router broadband soon enough.

I'm living in the sticks in Co.Waterford and have been using the service since Monday(28th) night.
    It depends where I am in my house, but the speeds are between 350-550Mbps.

528202.jpg

Now there are drops as can be expected.
    Where my house is landline wise, we only have access to 12Mbps and almost
    0 upload.

We are in the intervention Area for NBI and have been surveyed. But I
    wouldn't hold my breath, waiting for that. So Three 5G is very welcome.

I should add the CEO of Three is from and lives here;)

bazzz wrote: »
    Would you have access to a 5G capable phone? Probably easier to test out different locations.
    Then you could get a good idea if it's the router or not.
    I know they'll be adding their 5G router broadband soon enough.

I'm living in the sticks in Co.Waterford and have been using the service since Monday(28th) night.
    It depends where I am in my house, but the speeds are between 350-550Mbps.
    Now there are drops as can be expected.
    Where my house is landline wise, we only have access to 12Mbps and almost
    0 upload.

We are in the intervention Area for NBI and have been surveyed. But I
    wouldn't hold my breath, waiting for that. So Three 5G is very welcome.

I should add the CEO of Three is from and lives here;)

I unfortunately do not. It was a choice between a 5g handset or router. I opted for the router.

Tbh, the new router has given me a pretty decent boost all the same, might however be one of those lucky nights, time will tell.

Same as, not exactly the sticks, and a house a few hundred feet away has fibre. Lucky me and the neighbours are outside the area. Despite multiple k&n engineers telling me im close enough. Not been surveyed for the nbi but iv have seen them working close by. I count myself lucky iv got a mast near that not many seem to be on so i get okay 4g speeds.

Anyhow i will try it in work tomorrow, if its not working there im thinking its either the router or they have them blocked some way.

I mean iv coverage on the map and would happily pay up for an antenna if it ment i could get the 5g i just need to make sure i can use the router with the payg sim.

• Advertisement

Well it works. 220mb right at the edge of the coverage map in dundalk.
    I'll have to check better at home. Any suggestions on an antenna for 5g?

Advertisement