Advertisement
MODs please see this information notice in the mod's forum. Thanks!
Boards Golf Society are looking for new members for 2022...read about the society and their planned outings here!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

AP (Tax Specialist) Revenue - Open Comp 2018

189101113

Comments



  • Hi All,

    Had my interview last Monday.I was really disappointed with it.Still trying to recover after it.
    Anonire wrote: »
    I was disappointed with mine too. I know its no consolation. But you aren't alone.
    Sprites wrote: »
    Snap! The more I go over mine the more of a car crash it becomes.

    Try not to dwell on it. I've reconciled myself to having a worse result than last year and taking part in a 2021 competition if there is one.

    Also, you could be one of those people who always does better than they think. Alas, I am not, fairly sure I didn't do enough this time around.


    You never know guys, these PS interviews are always very hard to call.



    Regarding getting cut off mid answer, this is better than being allowed to keep talking and not scoring points and wasting precious time. Each competency is allocated about 7 minutes, so sometimes the interviewers are actually doing you a favour to cut you off early.


    After the interview, try to write down as many of the questions or areas you struggled with, this will be great material and help with the learning experience for the next time.


    Try as best you can to just forget about it now after the interview and wait for the results to issue, not sure when that may be though. You may have gotten on better than you thought.




  • I had a similar experience with being cut off !! So it appears that it may have been the boards approach !! I had Sean, Vivianne and Andrew on my board !! I was cut off / hurried along by Vivianne more so than the other interviewers!

    Overall I felt they were a fair board! I am not sure I did enough to pass!! But I’m glad it’s over and I have the experience of it under my belt !!

    People often came out feeling they had failed an interview and subsequent made the panel!! It’s hard to predict !!

    I think the interviews are finishing tomorrow !! So we should hopefully know our faith in 2/3 weeks I’m thinking ??




  • Densey12 wrote: »
    I had a similar experience with being cut off !! So it appears that it may have been the boards approach !! I had Sean, Vivianne and Andrew on my board !! I was cut off / hurried along by Vivianne more so than the other interviewers!

    Overall I felt they were a fair board! I am not sure I did enough to pass!! But I’m glad it’s over and I have the experience of it under my belt !!

    People often came out feeling they had failed an interview and subsequent made the panel!! It’s hard to predict !!

    I think the interviews are finishing tomorrow !! So we should hopefully know our faith in 2/3 weeks I’m thinking ??

    Should be sooner than that, if they finish tomorrow they should know the panel by early next week. Although, since they have extended the life of the current panel to the end of the month, they might leave ye hanging a bit longer.




  • Should be sooner than that, if they finish tomorrow they should know the panel by early next week. Although, since they have extended the life of the current panel to the end of the month, they might leave ye hanging a bit longer.

    It would be great if we knew that soon!! But you are right they could well let us hanging it would not be unlike them! :)




  • So when we think these results will be out?

    Considering the last interview was Friday last and aparently with Wednesday being the last day for the last year's panel. Surely we will have it this week or early next week?


  • Advertisement


  • So when we think these results will be out?

    Considering the last interview was Friday last and aparently with Wednesday being the last day for the last year's panel. Surely we will have it this week or early next week?

    Last year, the final day of interviews was 19th July. Results issued 29th July. So was really quick.

    Could be tomorrow or Monday. Or a month away. Goodness only knows!




  • nazzy wrote: »
    Last year, the final day of interviews was 19th July. Results issued 29th July. So was really quick.

    Could be tomorrow or Monday. Or a month away. Goodness only knows!

    There's no reason (other than any resource constraints in coordinating the actual issuing of the results), that the results wouldn't issue before the current panel expires next week.




  • First time poster here, made the panels yesterday in the twenties for both. I do not really know if that is any use though. How did the rest of you get on?

    It would be interesting to hear the approximate numbers people got and how big the panel is, I've been told the bigger the panel numbers the more vacancies they expect.




  • Balkan89 wrote: »
    First time poster here, made the panels yesterday in the twenties for both. I do not really know if that is any use though. How did the rest of you get on?

    It would be interesting to hear the approximate numbers people got and how big the panel is, I've been told the bigger the panel numbers the more vacancies they expect.

    Depends where your preferred location is. Majority of vacancies will be Dublin based, if you have regional preferences the likelihood of vacancies arising is less.

    You can always ask where you stand for your location preferences.

    Plenty of retirements expected in the next 12 months after the 2% kicks in in October so hopefully lots of movement from the panel this year.

    Best of luck and well done.




  • Any successful candidates care to share their level of tax specialist experience going into this competition? Education and work experience?

    Unsuccessful this year while I panelled last year. I felt that there was a much greater emphasis on the level of tax specialist experience this year vs last year.

    Before I get lambasted, yes I'm aware the role advertised is a Tax Specialist role! I have a level of tax technical experience which got me over the line last year but, if my suspicions are correct, it is the rock ( or one of the rocks) I perished on this year. Will have to wait on the feedback to confirm.


  • Advertisement


  • Got placed on the panels this week. Is the placing given the placing for the particular region I applied for or is it placing overall?




  • Taxing Tom wrote: »
    Got placed on the panels this week. Is the placing given the placing for the particular region I applied for or is it placing overall?

    Congratulations, its your overall placing.




  • Sprites wrote: »
    Any successful candidates care to share their level of tax specialist experience going into this competition? Education and work experience?

    Unsuccessful this year while I panelled last year. I felt that there was a much greater emphasis on the level of tax specialist experience this year vs last year.

    Before I get lambasted, yes I'm aware the role advertised is a Tax Specialist role! I have a level of tax technical experience which got me over the line last year but, if my suspicions are correct, it is the rock ( or one of the rocks) I perished on this year. Will have to wait on the feedback to confirm.

    Hi, I agree with your observations! I panelled last year and this year, although not as highly this year as last year. I found the interview much more tax focused and less policy focused than last year. Policy being my strength right now as it’s my current role :)




  • Hi, I agree with your observations! I panelled last year and this year, although not as highly this year as last year. I found the interview much more tax focused and less policy focused than last year. Policy being my strength right now as it’s my current role :)

    Well done on paneling anyway that is always the first step in the process. 2020 and 2021 seems to be two serious years for retirements if the rumours are to be believed.

    Around what number would you be, just to try to figure out how big the panel may be. I am mid 20s one and early 20s in another.

    You can generally figure out the demand in positions from the length of the panel.




  • Balkan89 wrote: »
    Well done on paneling anyway that is always the first step in the process. 2020 and 2021 seems to be two serious years for retirements if the rumours are to be believed.

    Around what number would you be, just to try to figure out how big the panel may be. I am mid 20s one and early 20s in another.

    You can generally figure out the demand in positions from the length of the panel.

    I’m higher up than that Balkan. Also curious to know how big the panels are. Although I was high up the panel last year and didn’t get an offer so hoping this year will be better.




  • Balkan89 wrote: »
    Well done on paneling anyway that is always the first step in the process. 2020 and 2021 seems to be two serious years for retirements if the rumours are to be believed.

    Around what number would you be, just to try to figure out how big the panel may be. I am mid 20s one and early 20s in another.

    You can generally figure out the demand in positions from the length of the panel.

    Would the number panelled not be based on the number of interviewees who reached the required standard in each competency rather than any anticipated demand for positions?

    Surely all interviewed who met the minimum score received a panel placing?

    Or are you saying that the number called for interview would be based on an anticipated number of positions?




  • Depends on the county really, some counties like Dublin will have lots of vacancies at AP level and more like Kerry placed no one off this panel last year. They went far down the panel last year but I don't know if it was exhausted. It's hard to say how many was placed as I know a person that was on it but took another job offer instead.




  • Sprites wrote: »
    Would the number panelled not be based on the number of interviewees who reached the required standard in each competency rather than any anticipated demand for positions?

    Surely all interviewed who met the minimum score received a panel placing?

    Or are you saying that the number called for interview would be based on an anticipated number of positions?

    My understanding of these sorts of CS internal panels is that they will decide the number of the panel on the number of vacancies that they foresee their being over the life-cycle of the panel.

    If say a large number of 60 meet the minimum requirements of passing each competency, the department are relatively sure there will be no more than say 30 positions. They will likely make the panel up to 40. Not to give people false hope who do not have a hope of getting a position (All these numbers are totally plucked out of the sky by the way, just for an example)

    I could be wrong on this and am open to correction, but it is my understanding of it.




  • Balkan89 wrote: »
    Well done on paneling anyway that is always the first step in the process. 2020 and 2021 seems to be two serious years for retirements if the rumours are to be believed.

    Around what number would you be, just to try to figure out how big the panel may be. I am mid 20s one and early 20s in another.

    You can generally figure out the demand in positions from the length of the panel.


    I've similar enough numbers to that myself, but don't know the panel size....




  • Hi all,

    New to this competition and have a question.

    When I saw I was unsuccessful in both panels, I requested a feedback. The feedback just came and I failed Tax policy and Legislation under the Specialist Knowledge, Expertise & Self-Development competency. I passed the other competencies including the Audit & Compliance section of the Specialist Knowledge, Expertise & Self-Development.

    I wonder should I not have made the Audit & Compliance panel and only failed the Tax Policy one?

    Thanks


  • Advertisement


  • Arm Strong wrote: »
    Hi all,

    New to this competition and have a question.

    When I saw I was unsuccessful in both panels, I requested a feedback. The feedback just came and I failed Tax policy and Legislation under the Specialist Knowledge, Expertise & Self-Development competency. I passed the other competencies including the Audit & Compliance section of the Specialist Knowledge, Expertise & Self-Development.

    I wonder should I not have made the Audit & Compliance panel and only failed the Tax Policy one?

    Thanks

    Definitely worth clarifying although someone on this thread said that getting the minimum score won't guarantee a panel placing so maybe that's why you haven't panelled for Compliance.

    Hard luck, something to focus on for next year.




  • Arm Strong wrote: »
    Hi all,

    New to this competition and have a question.

    When I saw I was unsuccessful in both panels, I requested a feedback. The feedback just came and I failed Tax policy and Legislation under the Specialist Knowledge, Expertise & Self-Development competency. I passed the other competencies including the Audit & Compliance section of the Specialist Knowledge, Expertise & Self-Development.

    I wonder should I not have made the Audit & Compliance panel and only failed the Tax Policy one?

    Thanks


    The specialist part wasn't marked out of 100 so you had to score alot higher to reach the 55% in that area. That could be the reason. Otherwise you should query it. Best of luck




  • Anonire wrote: »
    The specialist part wasn't marked out of 100 so you had to score alot higher to reach the 55% in that area. That could be the reason. Otherwise you should query it. Best of luck

    Thanks for that Anonire. This is the case with me...




  • Anyone have any idea how many people have been called from panel so far?




  • Taxing Tom wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea how many people have been called from panel so far?


    Pretty slowly it appears, I am two lower than I was for Dublin...


    What about you any movement in your location?




  • Any movement at all on this panel guys?




  • 2021 comp announced yesterday....




  • Anybody know what number on tax policy and legislation panel they are at for 2020 competition?




  • Anybody know if there is a thread to the 2021 competition? Had my interview the other day and found it really tough. But just curious as to how others found it; when they expect to hear back etc.



  • Advertisement


  • I had interview last week also. Found it tough enough also and but don't think I will score highly if I do meet the min standards.

    Thought that they focused more on people management rather than tax specialist knowledge.



Advertisement