Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things Cat Trialvilly Annoy You (part whatever) *MOD WARNING IN OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

So sorry for your loss. :(

I don't get why people say that. Would they say it to a grieving parent who lost their child or the surviving spouse if their OH died?

I dont think comparing a dead dog to a dead child or spouse is on.They are not the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Onshuh

dubstarr wrote:
    I dont think comparing a dead dog to a dead child or spouse is on.They are not the same.

I agree. I lost a dearly loved dog and I was very upset about it and can understand maggie totally but there is no comparison there.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,382 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

dubstarr wrote: »

Why not? For some people the dog is their only companion. Should they be considered less because a person either opted or for various other reasons never got married/have children?

I think in these circumstances that people should just offer their condolences and then shut their traps on offering advice as they don't know what this dog meant to the individual concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Phoenix32

Why not? For some people the dog is their only companion. Should they be considered less because a person either opted or for various other reasons never got married/have children?

I think in these circumstances that people should just offer their condolences and then shut their traps on offering advice as they don't know what this dog meant to the individual concerned.

My cat means more to me than many other people.

I'm so sorry for your loss Maggie. You take your time and grieve.

Bit aggressive there with the shut their traps.

I know someone who lost their 12 year old son tragically and I always thought that loss was unimaginable before I had kids but now that I have kids even more so. In my opinion it's a much greater loss than losing a pet. But I agree we shouldn't really get into a debate here about it as it's unfair on maggie.

• Advertisement

God you are aggressive.I have lost dogs,and i have lost both my parents.So im sorry but losing a parent or child or spouse is worse than losing a dog or pet.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

God you are aggressive.I have lost dogs,and i have lost both my parents.So im sorry but losing a parent or child or spouse is worse than losing a dog or pet.:mad:

To you, D, is the point being made. Different people will have different rankings for how they took losses in their lives.

TA....Supervalu ads. Shocking sh*te.

You're the one that attacked my post first. I will defend myself and if you think that's aggressive, then go have a good long look in the mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

You're the one that attacked my post first. I will defend myself and if you think that's aggressive, then go have a good long look in the mirror.

Mod

brass-boxing-bell-picture-id1057217604?k=6&m=1057217604&s=170667a&w=0&h=DmKLBy5i-xo2V4NPrjhdfmLJvf6Yx1n5EMoDdG7AuwU=

Round over.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Everyone's relationship with their families & pets is different.

Some have a higher affinity to one over the other.

No one side is right or wrong.

We can all agree grief is terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Onshuh wrote: »
    I agree. I lost a dearly loved dog and I was very upset about it and can understand maggie totally but there is no comparison there.

Why ever not????

I have no spouse. Or parents.

I have friends - who have their own lives.

However - my furry baby is always there for me.

Gervais08 wrote:
    Why ever not????

I could answer you but I'm pretty sure the thread wants to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

On a really hot day your clothes fall in love with you and come the night time they will try like mad to stay on your body.

How is it only Tuesday? Feels like I've already lived a thousand years so far this week and it's only going to get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

madmaggie wrote: »
    My dog died two weeks ago. Even the next day people said "oh get another one". I need time and space to grieve, she was my loyal devoted friend, not something to be disposed of. There is one person who understood, she said ignore the ignorant fools.

There are two types of people in the world dog people and people who have dogs. They are worlds apart and they will never agree. The people who have dogs never ever have a connection with them and that is their loss.

I am sorry your companion dog has died and i understand how sad you are about it. You know how much the dog contributed to your life and you are all the richer for it and the kindness you gave him was a testament of the decent person you are. How we treat animals is indicative of the kind of people we are - and sadly there are a lot of rotten people in the world, ask any of the recuse centres.

In time another dog will find you and you will be ready & open to another creature in need. Sorry for your loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

if you never had a child and only have had a creature i.e a dog to take care of the loss is comparable. In our modern world many women do not have children anymore due to infertility and / or lack of heterosexual men then very often a dog is their family and should not be mocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

if you never had a child and only have had a creature i.e a dog to take care of the loss is comparable. In our modern world many women do not have children anymore due to infertility and / or lack of heterosexual men then very often a dog is their family and should not be mocked.

Women don't have children these days because of lack of heterosexual men? Very strange thing to say. I can't quite figure out what you mean.

TA I've had f*ck all work to do today and was about to clock off early and go for a stroll around town and I just got sent a massive project that will take hours and needs to be done by tomorrow :(

That was my opinion,so we will just have to agree to disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

TA I have no idea what is going on in the TA thread anymore! :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I'm TAd by stupid sayings or phrases that are supposed to be smart. The one that springs to mind is "stand for nothing and fall for everything". Like, it literally has no basis and only sounds smart and cool because it has two opposites in it. Who said if you stand for nothing you fall for everything?? What is it based on?

And there are thousands of stupid sayings like that, hallmark ish crápology basically, designed to make those who utter them feel sage and noble. Another is "if it's for you it won't pass you" - just an excuse for doing nothing and accepting whatever life throws at you. Just feck off.

Oh and "nothing in life is impossible. The word itself says "I'm possible"" - just... don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

My TA is people upon hearing that I have a boyfriend say "Hang onto him now..." Or " Be sure to keep this one.."
    **** off and stop making me feel so ****ing bad about myself like it'd be a miracle of Godly proportions if I didn't drive a man away.
    Also, saying hang onto him is ridiculous. It's not as if he's a dog on a leash unable to run away. I'll treat him with love and respect and hope that we make each other happy but ultimately if he decides I'm not for him then that's his choice! Two people said it to me today and it seriously pisses me off how they can't see how insulting that is to me 🙄😡

• Registered Users Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Antares35 wrote: »
    I'm TAd by stupid sayings or phrases that are supposed to be smart. The one that springs to mind is "stand for nothing and fall for everything". Like, it literally has no basis and only sounds smart and cool because it has two opposites in it. Who said if you stand for nothing you fall for everything?? What is it based on?

And there are thousands of stupid sayings like that, hallmark ish crápology basically, designed to make those who utter them feel sage and noble. Another is "if it's for you it won't pass you" - just an excuse for doing nothing and accepting whatever life throws at you. Just feck off.

Oh and "nothing in life is impossible. The word itself says "I'm possible"" - just... don't.

This drives me mental when people say it to me. So what they're saying is you don't need to make any effort or put in any work and things will just fall into your life if it's meant to be? That is a ****ing awful message to give people! Raaaahhhhhh!!!!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    This drives me mental when people say it to me. So what they're saying is you don't need to make any effort or put in any work and things will just fall into your life if it's meant to be? That is a ****ing awful message to give people! Raaaahhhhhh!!!!!

I usually reply, "Oh, absolutely, good AND bad." Shuts them up pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,366 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

When somebody can’t take any constructive criticism without over reacting and having a mini melt down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

I woke up thinking it was Saturday and it’s Wednesday. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 40,310 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

People that have read receipts turned on for emails. Who hurt you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Tailgaters. Especially when they're not even in a hurry. Just why? Had a guy tailgating me last night that slowed right down once I left him past.

I was on my way to Nexttownover last night when there was some sap in a Kia tailgating me while still in the 50k zone. I had to stop for pedestrians and he was nowhere in sight, but ten seconds later he was up my hole - I can only imagine what speed he was doing through the town.

You'd think that after a bit of me driving at 50k, he'd realise I'm not going to speed up and back off a bit? Nope. Right on my bumper all the way to the dual carriageway.

Once we hit the on ramp his jeep couldn't keep up with me, and I was in a bit of a hurry myself, so I left him a good bit behind when I accelerated to x + 15kph. While I was overtaking some traffic he closed up behind quickly so was probably doing a lot more than x + 15 once he got his ****heap up to speed. Again, right up my hole but now we're travelling quite a bit faster. I passed a bus and moved over, because even if this guy isn't in a genuine hurry, I don't need the hassle. I set my cruise control at x + 10kph, and the numpty slows right down. Now he's the only person in the overtaking lane, also travelling at x + 10kph. From there to Nexttownover we pass nobody else, so when I turn off three minutes later, he's still travelling at the same speed, still hogging the overtaking lane.

I'm really baffled. Is he that big an asshole that he just wants to bully whoever's in front of him? Is he that much of a moron that there's no sense to be made of his behaviour? Both?

I'm tempted to save the dashcam (front and rear) footage and see about reporting him...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Antares35 wrote: »

TA that the meaning of a lot of these are lost, or are now misinterpreted.

I believe that one is 'If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything'. Which is a bit vague and hard to explain to be fair. Probably means that if you have no convictions and beliefs, any auld orange-skinned shyster could come along and convince you of anything.

A better example is probably the auld 'blood is thicker than water' one. It should be 'The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb'. As in the ties and agreements you've chosen to make, not through family obligation, should be stronger than if you were forced to out of duty. I think I've explained that badly too....

There's loads of these out there - there's lists to be googled :

Birds of a feather flock together, until the cat comes.
    Curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought him back.
    etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Course changed their mind and now we have to do personal interviews, feeling sicker now than b4 the change with the anxiety of it all.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Capt. Autumn

I can't explain why, but when somebody (it's nearly always scruffy youths) get to the bottom of the crisp packet and instead of taking the last few crumbleenies out with their fingers, they theatrically tilt back their head and pour the remainder of the bag down their gobs.
    It makes me want to slap them. I have no idea why.

Earlier today, I passed a girl in the corridor at work and she really annoyed me. Her crime? Walking with her hands folded across her chest. Granted, she is entitled to walk whatever way she wants, but the impracticality of the act really got to me.

So, I'll throw it open to the floor. No obviously annoying habits like picking your nose or clicking your fingers. I am talking about seemingly innocuous things that people do that shouldn't bother you, but really do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement