Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N5 - Westport to Turlough [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭prunudo

yop wrote: »
    As a local and I use that road a fair bit its not whinging.
    I'm part of the school committee also and its become a major pain for the people with kids.
    Parents who have kids on the church side of the closure will have to go into Castlebar through peak school traffic and back out to the school.
    Other parents who have to go to work and can't afford the time have had to club together to arrange and pay for a private bus.
    This is an extra 30-40 each way depending on traffic to the kids day.
    The road after the Gaiety is a single line road with very very few pull in spots and also is been heavily used by construction traffic.

Anyone attending The GAA also will be inconvenienced and there are lots of us the wrong side. We have on a Sat morning 85 kids from U6-U8-U10 and out of there we'd be looking at 30 kids been on the wrong side of the closure.

Those using the community centre as the new IT Hub or the senior citizens groups will have the same issue.
    Those going to mass, I don't go myself, will also have the same issue.
    The graveyard is one side of the closure and the church the other.
    For a burial it will need to go in the backroad, onto the newport road and in through Castlebar and back out.

Anyone going from the Glenisland road to Allergen use that road regular.

The access to the new road actually isnt an issue as said already we have 3 other access points to that new road.

While it may seem as a whing, believe me as a local and regular user this is a major inconvenience and time cost to me, but an actual cost to many who send their kids to school or use that road to commute.

Every new road scheme has some sort of road closures, some for much longer than 3 months. As much as a pain it may be, these are the prices we have to pay for new and safer infrastructure, its not forever, this time next year it will be all forgotten about.
    After whats happened the last 7 months of this year i thought we'd all be used to annoying inconveniences and our lives being turned upside down.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

prunudo wrote: »
    Every new road scheme has some sort of road closures, some for much longer than 3 months. As much as a pain it may be, these are the prices we have to pay for new and safer infrastructure, its not forever, this time next year it will be all forgotten about.
    After whats happened the last 7 months of this year i thought we'd all be used to annoying inconveniences and our lives being turned upside down.

Well said.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

As I said, its a major inconvenience for the locals. But if its goes into place it does. From what I am hearing now they are looking at an alternative which is no harm those affected daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

Great aerial shot from today courtesy of Jack Walsh drone photography. Location is 1.5km SW of N84 junction, which can be seen in the distance.

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2729804137346960&id=2224058757921503&set=a.2549814938679215&source=49&refid=13&ref=page_internal&__tn__=%2B%3D

A lot of hyperbole but little action - local councillors have just woken up and realised the people of Islandeady are not happy:

https://www.con-telegraph.ie/2020/09/30/a-mayo-community-almost-imprisoned-by-new-road-construction-works/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

A lot of hyperbole but little action - local councillors have just woken up and realised the people of Islandeady are not happy:

https://www.con-telegraph.ie/2020/09/30/a-mayo-community-almost-imprisoned-by-new-road-construction-works/

In fairness it seems the first they heard was a piece in the paper about a 9 month road closure. Shirley there was a consultation with the community first?

Don't call me Shirley :)

The issue has been in the local papers several times since the summer. Until now it was the community council and the local priest who spoke out so the councillors are a bit late to the party.

I imagine there will have to be a compromise by either cutting the closure period again to less than 3 months or providing some kind of temporary link like Kilcoyne said.

The parish priest has already implied people could lie down in front of the diggers so hopefully calm heads will prevail.

In fairness it seems the first they heard was a piece in the paper about a 9 month road closure. Shirley there was a consultation with the community first?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Is the image at the top of that article of the future N84 junction? Looks like it judging by the position of the houses near the junction. I had thought the new road was going over the N84 but it looks to be the other way around with the N84 being raised.

That's correct, N84 is being raised and shifted slightly west.

Is the image at the top of that article of the future N84 junction? Looks like it judging by the position of the houses near the junction. I had thought the new road was going over the N84 but it looks to be the other way around with the N84 being raised.

• Advertisement

With everything that's going on in the world I think they're going a bit overboard with this. Three months road closure isn't the end of the world and certainly not worth threatening to lie in front of machinery over. Yes, it will be annoying, but it's only a temporary issue and not even for that long a period of time. There's bound to be plenty of delays on the N5, N60, N84 and other roads for a while as well but we'll all just have to deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Isn't lying in the road going to cause the same disruption that they are protesting against assuming they do it while it's still open.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

With everything that's going on in the world I think they're going a bit overboard with this. Three months road closure isn't the end of the world and certainly not worth threatening to lie in front of machinery over. Yes, it will be annoying, but it's only a temporary issue and not even for that long a period of time. There's bound to be plenty of delays on the N5, N60, N84 and other roads for a while as well but we'll all just have to deal with it.

I'm not familiar with the issue specifically, why is it such a major issue? Is this closure going to mean the community are trapped in the area for 3 months with no alternative route out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

I'm not familiar with the issue specifically, why is it such a major issue? Is this closure going to mean the community are trapped in the area for 3 months with no alternative route out?
    I don't know the details of it either but I suspect that rather than no way out, it will mean long-way-around journeys for some, and maybe even very long-way-around journeys for others.

But I would be interested to know just how long around those journeys are going to be.

Great pic from Jack Walsh again, looking SW along Castlebar bypass. You can really see the road taking shape.

Edit: More pics here https://www.instagram.com/p/CGGI7E5FUd6/?igshid=lpixwuuc2bxg

528817.jpg

As I understand it the short detour is a narrow single track road. The long detour involves going in and out of Castlebar, so that would probably be a 15 to 20 minute detour if they want to avoid the single track road. Not ideal obviously, but it is only a temporary measure and they have succeeded in having the closure period reduced from 9 months to 3 months. I think they should have left it at that and called it a win personally.

They are really cracking on with the Castlebar section of this. I take it there's no prospect of opening the section around Castlebar from Turlough Road to Westport Road ahead of the rest of the project?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

As I understand it the short detour is a narrow single track road. The long detour involves going in and out of Castlebar, so that would probably be a 15 to 20 minute detour if they want to avoid the single track road. Not ideal obviously, but it is only a temporary measure and they have succeeded in having the closure period reduced from 9 months to 3 months. I think they should have left it at that and called it a win personally.

I don't agree with this lying on the road bs tbh.

The route for me to the pitch/community centre is currently 3km and 5 mins.
    With the short detour its 14km, 17mins and 10km of that is on single lane road which is to be honest poor. The traffic Volume is going to be big on that road.
    The longer route is 19km, 22 mins off peak and about 6km is the single lane road.

I'm lucky as I'll only do it twice a week. But for anyone with kids in the school it's gonna add up.

That said 3 months will bomb so think it just needs to go ahead now and quit the "I'll lie on the road" approach as that's a bit embarrassing.

They are really cracking on with the Castlebar section of this. I take it there's no prospect of opening the section around Castlebar from Turlough Road to Westport Road ahead of the rest of the project?

Didn't they do something like that for the Limerick motorway around crusheen way back. Make Sense but probably some reason why they couldn't.
    Have you walked it?

There hasn't been any mention of it that I've heard but it should be possible to open Castlebar west to Castlebar east while the rest of the project is still ongoing.

• Advertisement

There hasn't been any mention of it that I've heard but it should be possible to open Castlebar west to Castlebar east while the rest of the project is still ongoing.

They've only moved big plant onto Westport side last two weeks.
    They have a lot down going to the road at the graveyard in islandeady.
    The slowest part will be the lake side and kilbree.

Make a lot of sense to open that side but still doing a lot of quarrying on the first section there near turlough

Didn't they do something like that for the Limerick motorway around crusheen way back. Make Sense but probably some reason why they couldn't.
    Have you walked it?

No, just going off what I can see when passing by it on the various main roads and going off the drone photography.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

I don't agree with this lying on the road bs tbh.

The route for me to the pitch/community centre is currently 3km and 5 mins.
    With the short detour its 14km, 17mins and 10km of that is on single lane road which is to be honest poor. The traffic Volume is going to be big on that road.
    The longer route is 19km, 22 mins off peak and about 6km is the single lane road.

I'm lucky as I'll only do it twice a week. But for anyone with kids in the school it's gonna add up.

That said 3 months will bomb so think it just needs to go ahead now and quit the "I'll lie on the road" approach as that's a bit embarrassing.

Suppose if they can schedule the closure to minimise when it coincides with term time would be a good idea....

No, just going off what I can see when passing by it on the various main roads and going off the drone photography.
    Definitely won't be opening it until full road is done.

Suppose if they can schedule the closure to minimise when it coincides with term time would be a good idea....

I think i read its May. So it will work for school.

Is the breaffy road going to an over pass or underpass the rdo website has been redesigned and the plans are gone..

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭unit 1

Breaffy road is an overpass of the new road, bit of a nuisance can't find the drawings anywhere online since they redid that site.

unit 1 wrote: »
    Breaffy road is an overpass of the new road, bit of a nuisance can't find the drawings anywhere online since they redid that site.

no wonder the machines are below the level of the current road, they'll be able to tunnel under it soon. :D

Great pic again from Jack Walsh drone photography showing the Breaffy road junction. God love the people living in those 2 houses!

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2742534456073928&id=2224058757921503&set=pcb.2742534539407253&source=49&refid=13&ref=page_internal&__tn__=%2B%3E

529082.jpg

Are those houses going to be flattened or are they actually going to continue to live there between the Breaffy Road, the new dual carriageway and the slip road connecting them?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

CPOed properties would be cleared well before that stage.

Advertisement