Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hogwarts Legacy

Options
  • 17-09-2020 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭

Looks to be a open world Harry Potter RPG game.

I will be picking this up. Played one or two of the old games and thought they were pretty good so an open world adventure in a magical world sounds pretty good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Lots of potential with the IP, and this has been in development for years. I just don't know anything about this Portkey Games crowd though. It looks like they've only made mobile games (also HP-based) before this. Then again, they could well be made up of industry veterans for all I know. :pac:

Coming to PS4, PS5, XB1, XB SX, and PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Lots of potential with the IP, and this has been in development for years. I just don't know anything about this Portkey Games crowd though. It looks like they've only made mobile games (also HP-based) before this. Then again, they could well be made up of industry veterans for all I know. :pac:

Coming to PS4, PS5, XB1, XB SX, and PC.

Portkey are only a middle man kinda publisher branch for WB.

Avalanche Software are the developers proper and have done a load of movie/TV tie ins for Disney and Nick

Varik wrote: »
    Portkey are only a middle man kinda publisher branch for WB.

Avalanche Software are the developers proper and have done a load of movie/TV tie ins for Disney and Nick

Yeah, just looking at them this morning; Disney Infinity, Toy Story and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Really looking forward to this.

Played a harry potter game years ago, can't remember the exact name of it, think it was on the ps2, but I loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

I'll definitely be picking this up at some point. Hopefully they can make the spell slinging more intuitive instead of some sort of QT event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Gods damn, for a moment I was convinced it was John Hurt doing the narration on that.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Gods damn, for a moment I was convinced it was John Hurt doing the narration on that.

Very very very similar. Was convinced before I remembered.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

The developer doesn't fill me with confidence tbh. I'd love for it to be good as it's a Hogwarts RPG is something I've always wanted.

No direct involvement from JK Rowling on this, which is probably just as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Looks interesting. Will definitely give it a try, but it won't be a MUST HAVE for me. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

No direct involvement from JK Rowling on this, which is probably just as well.

:rolleyes:

What?

What?

I 100% agree with you Mr Crispy.

I 100% agree with you Mr Crispy.

Gamergate 2.0

Gamergate 2.0

Thats exactly it..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Thats exactly it..

I was gonna say because she keeps just randomly adding stuff on to the story and confusing us. Didn't she claim previously Hogwarts students just crap themselves and magic it away?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Not really. This is an issue that's much bigger than the game and is tied to Rowling herself rather than her body of work (but people are seeing a lot of problems with some of the depictions of minorities there too). She's trash. She thinks trans women are "men in dresses trying to invade women's spaces" which simply isn't true.

Either way, she hasnt a hand in this, so whatever story line they give us will not change once the game is released, no little tidbits added in to keep her relavant so i'm happy with that.

Anyway, it does look, form the gameplay, that it may be a similar setup to many games, you know X spells, you then have to pick a spell from the weapon wheel to cast it. So like GTAV, you have access to everything, but you need to pick it to be able to use it. Dont mind that, as long as its not QT events!!!!!

Yea, I think Warner are smart enough to know that they should keep her away from everything :) It looks like it's set in the past and means that they get to tell a new story without having to worry about the characters from the books (or even the Fantastic Beasts films). Lets hope they don't do a "Star Wars" on it and have every character be a variant of Harry, Hermione and Ron (or Luke, Leia and Han in Star Wars). I hate when licenced stuff shrinks the world it's playing in.

Shiminay wrote: »
    Not really. This is an issue that's much bigger than the game and is tied to Rowling herself rather than her body of work (but people are seeing a lot of problems with some of the depictions of minorities there too). She's trash. She thinks trans women are "men in dresses trying to invade women's spaces" which simply isn't true.

There's no evidence she thinks anything of the sort about trans women but various violent mysoginists who like taking pictures of themselves with axes are organising a violent hate campaign against her because unlike other women who they threaten with violence, rape and/or financial destitution she hasn't bowed to their threats.

Like I say, gamergate 2.0. Lots of violent threats against women based on lies spread by opportunistic mysoginists.

I note you've used quotes there to intimate this is something she's actually said. No doubt you've got a source.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Well this thread took a turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭raclle

It looks like it's set in the past and means that they get to tell a new story without having to worry about the characters from the books (or even the Fantastic Beasts films). Lets hope they don't do a "Star Wars" on it and have every character be a variant of Harry, Hermione and Ron (or Luke, Leia and Han in Star Wars). I hate when licenced stuff shrinks the world it's playing in.
    When I started seeing the Fantastic Beasts in the trailer I was getting worried they were basing it off the movies. I hope there's not too much reference to them

There's no evidence she thinks anything of the sort about trans women but various violent mysoginists who like taking pictures of themselves with axes are organising a violent hate campaign against her because unlike other women who they threaten with violence, rape and/or financial destitution she hasn't bowed to their threats.

Like I say, gamergate 2.0. Lots of violent threats against women based on lies spread by opportunistic mysoginists.

I note you've used quotes there to intimate this is something she's actually said. No doubt you've got a source.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/amberjamieson/jk-rowling-antitrans-statement gives a pretty decent review of the whole thing. Her own words in the essay she wrote which that Buzzfeed piece discusses shows a woman who thinks that your biological sex is the be-all and end-all of gender and centuries of anthropological study as well as the prevalent medical opinion on the matter have categorically refuted this.

For the absence of any doubt, I condemn any acts of intimidation or violence towards the woman, I'd rather we all just left her to her billions and be done with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Dozyart

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/amberjamieson/jk-rowling-antitrans-statement gives a pretty decent review of the whole thing. Her own words in the essay she wrote which that Buzzfeed piece discusses shows a woman who thinks that your biological sex is the be-all and end-all of gender and centuries of anthropological study as well as the prevalent medical opinion on the matter have categorically refuted this.

For the absence of any doubt, I condemn any acts of intimidation or violence towards the woman, I'd rather we all just left her to her billions and be done with it.

Head to the thread about it instead of derailing a game thread with how awesomely woke you are!!

She doesn't have billions because like all "trash" humans she gave away hundreds of millions seeing up charities to do things like help orphans across the globe get out of institutional care.

I note you don't have a source for your clever little quote trick where you make it sound like she said something she didn't say so that anyone unfamiliar might assume you were quoting in good faith.

This topic is going off thread, but for anyone unaware, expect to see this a lot as the gamergate campaign intensifies, the devotees will insert random comments about what a trash person she is while quietly avoiding mention of what is being done to her and thousands of other women by the nutters with axes and knife selfies in their social media feeds.

Back on topic, this looks good... If they can keep the world well quested. Not sure any open world RPG feels playable after Witcher 3.

Back on topic, this looks good... If they can keep the world well quested. Not sure any open world RPG feels playable after Witcher 3.

Hopefully they can get a similar feeling to it. I'd be happy with a time in Hogwarts as you "complete your schooling" then you get out and about into the wider world. But in saying that, it looks like Hogwarts will be your home base and you go out and about from there as they still look like they're fighting whatever in their school robes.

Hopefully they can get a similar feeling to it. I'd be happy with a time in Hogwarts as you "complete your schooling" then you get out and about into the wider world. But in saying that, it looks like Hogwarts will be your home base and you go out and about from there as they still look like they're fighting whatever in their school robes.

Yep. The thing is they'll have had to spend so much effort getting the game world to live up to expectations, and it looked like they may have done it, how much effort is left over for the gameplay itself? An immersive Hogwarts world will carry players a long way I'd say but it would be nice for this to have depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭ClaudeVercetti

Multiple sites reporting that this will be a Q3 release this year - Looking forward to this after seeing the trailers.

I've been bitten with day one preorders in the past so might wait for reviews on this before biting the bullet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Indeed, a quick Google showing a possible release of March 8th (too soon imo) and that Playstation have a potential State of Play in Feb which this could be in. Was very quiet for a while, hopefully it lives up to the hype which I'm doing a pretty good job of keeping it in check!

Advertisement