Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a D4 in Waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Newtown sticks out for me the most because traditionally it's where the wealthy lived and was the most unionist part of the city. Lord Roberts (helped invent concentration camps during the Boer war) was also from the area.

People usually used to vote conservative there back in the day. Also the Quakers lived there and they were very prosperous. Must be still a few still in the area considering there's a primary school, boarding school and Quaker meeting house. Many fine houses going out along the Dunmore road too.

Lord Roberts lived on Newtown Road, and I think Edmund Rice did also.

There are indeed a number of Quakers in that area - thoroughly nice people. It's telling that Newtown was established in 1798, when they were probably feeding the poor there.

Another subtle sign is that there isn't a GAA club within miles of the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Motivator

Max Powers wrote: »
    That comes across like some a load of small mindedness, jealousy even. You need to open your mind a bit if quiche and rugby are evidence of some sort of negative trait.

Jealous of what exactly? People paying way over the odds for their houses? Jealous of sitting in bumper to bumper traffic 6 days a week and for what? There’s an air of superiority that hangs over the Dunmore Rd area and there has been for years. I’ve family that have lived out that direction for years and they’re knobheads as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Motivator wrote: »
    Jealous of what exactly? People paying way over the odds for their houses? Jealous of sitting in bumper to bumper traffic 6 days a week and for what? There’s an air of superiority that hangs over the Dunmore Rd area and there has been for years. I’ve family that have lived out that direction for years and they’re knobheads as well.

I live in the Dunmore Road area.
    Clearly there's a lot in what you say as I find myself feeling very superior to you right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

kuang1 wrote: »
    I live in the Dunmore Road area.
    Clearly there's a lot in what you say as I find myself feeling very superior to you right now.

any quiche? id love a bit now

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    any quiche? id love a bit now

No I've moved on from Quiche.
    I now put organic pears in my spelt bread sandwiches with bacon from hand reared pigs.

• Advertisement

kuang1 wrote: »
    No I've moved on from Quiche.
    I now put organic pears in my spelt bread sandwiches with bacon from hand reared pigs.

oh how i wish to be you, i ll have to just live with my fatty rasher sambos, and on yesterdays bread, life sucks down here

Absolute nonsense. The house is inherited, the au pair does most of the running to the school, and the shopping gets delivered.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Absolute nonsense. The house is inherited, the au pair does most of the running to the school, and the shopping gets delivered.

whats an au pair?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    whats an au pair?

Typically a young migrant woman who lives with a family, as part of the family as a cultural exchange. In exchange for bed and board and pocket money, the au pair is expected to do some household chores.

In the case of Waterford, the migrant is likely to be from Ballybeg.

Victor wrote:
    In the case of Waterford, the migrant is likely to be from Ballybeg.

Do they batter the kids going to school, like the rest of us?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I get my salad greens from Grow HQ seeds which is far posher than Ardkeen Stores bagged lettuce and yet much cheaper. ;)

/double win for the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Interesting and entertaining thread. Should be one for all big towns and cities in Ireland.

I've always thought that the so called "posh" areas depended on a few factors....

Old and inherited money
    Merchant princes,
    The areas where the doctors, dentists, lawyers and other professions live.

If anyone can add to the list, be my guest. Just had a look at Newtown, now I must look up the Quaker influence. Thanks that'll pass an hour or so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

I live in WD40 and my daddy works for KPMG.

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    I live in WD40 and my daddy works for KPMG.

well lubed then!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Sorry, I probably should have jealous, envious with a chip on shoulder also. You'll have to do some introspection to find out what prompted your ridiculous post about sunglasses, quiche, rugby and walking around a shop to look at people.

The funny thing is people from wealthy parts of Dublin would by crying laughing at this, even more than we are.

Paul Howard is definitely right in what he said though - every town has a part where the doctor, solicitor and parish priest lived. Even more affluent again if that's where the Protestant versions of those professions lived!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

In Tramore it's Priest Road and Church Road area with Doneraile Walk etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

The kids fresh from Rugby training traipsing after Mum while she picks up a quiche for lunch. Mum, in her active wear and oversized sunglasses, loudly scolding kids for wanting a chicken roll instead of quiche.

Imagine thinking that quiche constituted posh food in 2020 - it's egg pie...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭deisemum

Funniest thread on here in a while, I confess to having quiche for lunch today but it was homemade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Motivator

deisemum wrote: »
    Funniest thread on here in a while, I confess to having quiche for lunch today but it was homemade.

Homemade? Pff, no no. No self respecting Dunmore Roadian would dare make homemade quiche. Think of the mess that would make in their €40k Evoke kitchen?

Although an anecdote about the kids getting their chinos dirty cleaning up Mum’s mess would go down an absolute storm up in St Anne’s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,294 ✭✭✭jmcc

I’ve family that have lived out that direction for years and they’re knobheads as well.
    So it is a genetic thing?

Regards...jmcc

El Tarangu wrote: »
    Imagine thinking that quiche constituted posh food in 2020 - it's egg pie...

You've disgraced yourself - a quiche is a tart not a pie.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

hardybuck wrote: »
    Meanwhile, in the zoo like atmosphere of the Lisduggan shopping centre, Ardkeen mum's counterpart, also in her active wear but sans sunglasses, has collected her dole and single parent allowance and has the shopping trolley filled with the weekly shop which consists of frozen pizzas and vodka.

Lisduggan mum loudly scolds her offspring for wanting a chipper for dinner instead of the Chinese that Dad has promised to bring home on his way back from the pub.

Stereotypes are so much fun aren't they?

There's literally a post office in the Ardkeen shopping centre too. I'd say the Doley's have to snake in and out like ninjas. "Hide the card John, it's Mary from number 23"

There's literally a post office in the Ardkeen shopping centre too. I'd say the Doley's have to snake in and out like ninjas. "Hide the card John, it's Mary from number 23"

Do we have estates out here where the house numbers go as high as 23?

If so I'm disgusted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

Everyone who went to the abbey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

I've ventured out the Dunmore Road. I've been at the yacht club, I've been to their wine and cheese tasting nights. I was riding high, loving life. I've got sick at many a gazebo. I've woken up drunk on a inflatable in many pools. I've seen yummy mummies doing the school rounds. I've bought goat's cheese in Arkeen stores, it was all going well - until I was outed at Sorchas gender reveal party.

They found out I was a Ballybricken man, my reputation was in tatters at the enunciation of the word gallybander. I was a fraud. They looked through me like I was made of Waterford glass, not the real glass, but the new mass produced stuff they make in Eastern Europe. I had lost their trust, but I didn't care. Sorchas child would be a little bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Snorlaxx

Jesus lads, yea leave the interweb for a day and look what happens :D:D:D

Old money rules, and they guard their money with their lives. Some are tight as ducks ar ses. That's how they keep their money in the family. They have nothing to prove.

The nouveau riche try to be like the Old Money but always fail miserably. Because they spend too much, look over the fence at the old money, and want to be like them. They never will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Surely Castlewoods, not the city obviously but close enough.

• Advertisement

The Waterford Quakers were something else though weren't they? Not enough history about them.

Quakers are non religious really but have a great sense of work ethic and looking out for each other. That's impressive.

Sorry to mention Dublin on a Waterford thread, but my granny worked for Jacobs in Bishop Street making the Jacobs cream crackers. Seriously. She always said the Quakers were great employers. Very kind to the workers. I won't say what years I'm talking about but a good time ago.

Advertisement