Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭prionnsias

I have imagine coming to my area at the end of next month, I’m thinking of signing up with them. I’m currently getting 10 down and 1 up with Eir I can’t imagine they would be any worse than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

prionnsias wrote: »
    I have imagine coming to my area at the end of next month, I’m thinking of signing up with them. I’m currently getting 10 down and 1 up with Eir I can’t imagine they would be any worse than that.

If you are getting 10 down and 1 up at peak times too then stay where you are!

We have imagine because we have no other choice and at peak times we would sometimes nowhere near come near 10 down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

We’re with imagine 7 months now. Service is fantastic. I’m 20km from Dublin Airport, been here for 11 years and the only other option was the Vodafone mobile broadband which was ok but expensive and I don’t know how it would’ve held up working from home.

Also, I got an email yesterday with a referral discount of €100 off the installation. It may be generic but happy to share it with anyone if they want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

prionnsias wrote: »

Check your area for the NBI. - https://nbi.ie/ - https://twitter.com/natbroadbandirl - If you contact them they'll tell you when surveying will start in your area.

They're starting surveys around the country and personally they've done a survey in my area and I've been told to expect work to start in around February.

If you can still hack it with Eir until the NBI get's to your area, you'll get FTTH and much better speeds than with Imagine. Worst thing would be to sign into an 18mth contract with Imagine, only for FTTH to pass your area 6 months into it.

As irishfeen says, I'm with Imagine because I can only get 1mb down from Eir. And with Imagine at peak times, I'll be lucky to get near 10mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Underhauled

I finally ditched imagine. We had speeds down to less than 1mb down. With VF FTTH now. So far so good.

Imagine are a disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭mossie

irishfeen wrote: »
    If you are getting 10 down and 1 up at peak times too then stay where you are!

We have imagine because we have no other choice and at peak times we would sometimes nowhere near come near 10 down.

I have to say my experience with Imagine is much different. I have been with them since last December also no real choice had 4 down 1 up DSL. Apart from a spell in April / May where it was going as low as 20 down and 1 up it's been vey good. A few weeks ago I got a text that they were doing some work on the network and since then it's been averaging over 85 down and 7 up at peak so I'm very happy with it. I know not everyone has the same experience though.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭prionnsias

I think I’ll give them a go. I have direct line of sight to the mast and I’m about 1.5km from the mast. I’m also getting installation for €50 with a 12 month contract. I’ve contacted NBI to see when they would be surveying my area but I’m just getting a generic response. I’d hold out for NBI if I was able to get a rough idea for a survey date but that could be years down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Wing126 wrote: »
    Check your area for the NBI. - https://nbi.ie/ - https://twitter.com/natbroadbandirl - If you contact them they'll tell you when surveying will start in your area.

Unfortunately thats not the case. 95% of people will be told "we don't know when surveying is due to start but keep an eye out for updates " Only the lucky few in 1st phase rollout will get any form of time frame. Im likely going to have to look at lightnet fixed wirelees once my adsl contract ends with Vodafone as the service is abysmal.

Was going to wait it out for NBI after initially being told surveying had taken place. I since found out this was incorrect info.

NBI for some could be 3-7 years away

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭alfa_aficionado

I finally managed to get a different reply from the standard "not supported" when speaking to Imagine technical support today about getting them to switch their supplied router into modem-only (or bridge) mode - unfortunately they said my current device doesn't support it and that I would need to upgrade to a Gemtek Cat 12 device at a cost of €100!

Has anyone else, who successfuly got the router portion switched off, been told this?

Would it potentially mean faster download speeds? (I signed up when they were advertising up to 70Mbs whereas they now advertise up to 150Mbs - mind you I never get anywhere near 70Mbs - it's usually more like 20-40)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I finally ditched imagine. We had speeds down to less than 1mb down. With VF FTTH now. So far so good.

Imagine are a disgrace.

congratulations and welcome to the world of proper future proofed fibre broadband. The sooner more Imagine customers get moved to FTTH the better. Imagine will never change, they will always sell a marketing lie.

I've noticed they have dropped the 5g references completely and are now referring to their rollout as ' fibre powered hubs' with terabyte connection!

• Advertisement

Gonzo wrote: »
    congratulations and welcome to the world of proper future proofed fibre broadband. The sooner more Imagine customers get moved to FTTH the better. Imagine will never change, they will always sell a marketing lie.

I've noticed they have dropped the 5g references completely and are now referring to their rollout as ' fibre powered hubs' with terabyte connection!

Unfortunately for many customers FTTH is a distant hope. I'm outside Eir's coverage area and God alone knows when NBI will get to me. I am "in the intervention area and will be surveyed in due course" so for now Imagine is my only option and, to be fair, I have had no issues since I signed up. Would love FTTH but realistically it's not happening anytime soon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

mossie wrote: »
    Unfortunately for many customers FTTH is a distant hope. I'm outside Eir's coverage area and God alone knows when NBI will get to me. I am "in the intervention area and will be surveyed in due course" so for now Imagine is my only option and, to be fair, I have had no issues since I signed up. Would love FTTH but realistically it's not happening anytime soon.

hang in there it will come, I believe some NBI areas will be getting switched on within the next 6 months so there is light at the end of the tunnel. Every Imagine home that get's passed by FTTH is definite sign of progress.

Unfortunately there is another issue and that is homes that are already passed by FTTH and people in those areas not knowing it's available and fall victim to Imagine's powerful marketing strategy and order Imagine while a much better connection is available to them and for cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

Gonzo wrote: »
    hang in there it will come, I believe some NBI areas will be getting switched on within the next 6 months so there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Light at the end of the optical cables you could say? :p

Bit patchy here this evening, speedtests are good but youtube is buffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Anyone know if you can replace the Imagine supplied router with your own?

Do they use PPPOE and is there a standardised login credentials and settings?

I have their 4G LTE package.

Anyone know if you can replace the Imagine supplied router with your own?

Do they use PPPOE and is there a standardised login credentials and settings?

I have their 4G LTE package.

As far as I'm aware you must use their supplied router.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I finally managed to get a different reply from the standard "not supported" when speaking to Imagine technical support today about getting them to switch their supplied router into modem-only (or bridge) mode - unfortunately they said my current device doesn't support it and that I would need to upgrade to a Gemtek Cat 12 device at a cost of €100!

Has anyone else, who successfuly got the router portion switched off, been told this?

Would it potentially mean faster download speeds? (I signed up when they were advertising up to 70Mbs whereas they now advertise up to 150Mbs - mind you I never get anywhere near 70Mbs - it's usually more like 20-40)

Yes - I had to change the router to allow Bridge Mode.

They've given me full admin access to the Router so I can make changes as needed.

I had admin access to the old one and it didn't support Bridge mode.

Working well so far - Got it done about 3 weeks ago.

Quin_Dub wrote: »

They've given me full admin access to the Router so I can make changes as needed.

By Full admin access, did they just give you the admin username and password, or was there something else that needed to be done?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Wing126 wrote: »
    By Full admin access, did they just give you the admin username and password, or was there something else that needed to be done?

Just gave me the login details.

They didn't set anything up . I enabled Bridge mode in the new router and configured my own kit from there.

They replaced both the router in the house and the Receiver on the roof.

Just gave me the login details.

They didn't set anything up . I enabled Bridge mode in the new router and configured my own kit from there.

Any chance you could share the admin login via PM? As far as I know, they just use a generic username and password for everyone. I know the User access details are the same for a lot of people anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭alfa_aficionado

Did they charge you? Did you have to extend your contract?

Have you noticed any speed increases?

• Advertisement

Did they charge you? Did you have to extend your contract?

Have you noticed any speed increases?

Cost was €100 for the "Service call" - Which was just added to the next bill.

No new contract required.

I was having an issue with upload speeds being really poor , that has improved since the change , but download hasn't really changed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭alec76

Could you share router model they've gave you ? Thank you.

alec76 wrote: »
    Could you share router model they've gave you ? Thank you.

GemTek WVRTM-130ACN on the back of the unit.

The little manual that was in the box says WLTGG-123 LTE CPE

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Ketron

I've just signed up for this, I'm going to request that router as I'll need bridged mode straight off the bat.

I've requested a static IP and I've been told that there is a DHCP lease for the external IP on the device, and it wont change unless the box is off for at least 24hours? What are people experience with this? Can you request a binding?

Ketron wrote: »
    I've just signed up for this, I'm going to request that router as I'll need bridged mode straight off the bat.

I've requested a static IP and I've been told that there is a DHCP lease for the external IP on the device, and it wont change unless the box is off for at least 24hours? What are people experience with this? Can you request a binding?

My IP seems to be the same all the time and I never asked for a static one.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Ketron

mossie wrote: »
    My IP seems to be the same all the time and I never asked for a static one.

Deadly thanks!

Just hope I can get reasonable throughput now. Currently I have 20/2 Mb/s on a different provider which is reasonable stable. I'll be keeping a close eye on it so fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Anyone know the login details to go in and disable their own WiFi networks ? I'm using my own router on top of this.

IP address is 192.168.15.1:2000 right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭alec76

Anyone know the login details to go in and disable their own WiFi networks ?

IP address is 192.168.15.1:2000 right ?
    Those details are not public,might be not the same to every user,so you have to contact Customer Care to get them .

Anyone had a call out from Imagine lately? I'm due one tomorrow to have my router replaced, but the wording of the text makes it sound like i'm signing up as a new customer. Is that the same for everyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

I'm living in Carstown on Drogheda. The house is recently built and the eircode / Google maps are setup since last November. We're within a efibre area. But we're not on the openeir list for the area. We tried copper from the cabinet but we were getting least that 2mb download. I have a 4g modem with an eir SIM. I'm getting between 4 and 7 mb download speeds. Just enough to run the cameras and a bit of Netflix. Although Netflix is hit or miss in the evening. It's slightly better since I changed the modems DNS settings.
    So imagine 5g has come into the area, and it's available from the end of September with speeds of up to 150mb. Can another share their experience of the 5g service?

Thanks

Advertisement