Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

• 21-08-2020 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

I for one want him gone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

I agee!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,436 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I would imagine that will be down to his boss. He'll brazen it out if he can

• Registered Users Posts: 11,460 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I wouldn't want to be the unfortunate person tasked with asking him to consider his position

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

He'll hold onto his pension though. In my mind all these guys should have their pensions removed and told to go swing.

ec-president-vdl@ec.europa.eu

That's Hogan's bosses email contact. Let them know how you feel about this. I have emailed them this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

He'll hold onto his pension though. In my mind all these guys should have their pensions removed and told to go swing.

That's Hogan's bosses email contact. Let them know how you feel about this. I have emailed them this morning.

Brilliant i will be doing exactly that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,811 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

No chance he will style it out imo....the big head on him he thinks he is untouchable

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ethical

Big Phil,The arrogant untouchable wont go,there are many of his ilk in Irish Society,look at the ETBs for instance,"lads" "retired " for 30 years and still on the gravy train...UNTOUCHABLES in a GOLDEN CIRCLE,but how dare you tell them this or your career will stall and go nowhere while they get the cream.

Its time all these BSTARDS were rooted out of Irish Society!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

gmisk wrote: »
    No chance he will style it out imo....the big head on him he thinks he is untouchable

He has gotten this far in life with that method, I can see him sticking it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,014 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Although European Commissioners are nominated by Member State governments, they are not appointed by them and they cannot dismissed by them. The Commission as a whole can be dismissed by the Parliament, but I don't think the Parliament has the power to dismiss invidual Comissioners. It could, I suppose, threaten to dismiss the entire Commission if an individual Commissioner did niot resign.

I don't know whether the President of the Commission can fire an individual Commissioner, but she could certainly request him to resign. And she could effectively force him to resign by reallocating portfolios within the Commission so that he had nothing to do.

But none of this really matters. The only reason we notice Hogan's transgression is because he is Irish, and it happened here. When was the last time you heard about a personal transgression of another European Commissioner that had nothing to do with the discharge of his functions? Hogan's attendance at this dinner won't even be a blip in the news cycle outside Ireland, and it won't bother the Commission or the Parliament. It has nothing at all to do with his job as Commissioner with responsiblity for Agriculture and Rural Development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Although European Commissioners are nominated by Member State governments, they are not appointed by them and they cannot dismissed by them. The Commission as a whole can be dismissed by the Parliament, but I don't think the Parliament has the power to dismiss invidual Comissioners. It could, I suppose, threaten to dismiss the entire Commission if an individual Commissioner did niot resign.

Hogan's attendance at this dinner won't even be a blip in the news cycle outside Ireland, and it won't bother the Commission or the Parliament. It has nothing at all to do with his job as Commissioner with responsiblity for Agriculture and Rural Development.

Could the Irish government recall him like an ambassador and send a replacement. I dont see this happening either.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,014 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Could the Irish government recall him like an ambassador and send a replacement. I dont see this happening either.
    No, they can't. They didn't appoint him. He doesn't represent them. His official connection with the Irish state is zero - none at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

oh ffs, the covid police are at it again.

Your email will go immediately into the trash bin where it belongs.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

The Teflon Don.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭thebronze14

I vote for an inanimate carbon rod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

Big Phil, too big to fall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Didnt he resign before when junior minister department of finance in the Rainbow, leaked the budget and did the honorable thing IIRC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Has Leo made any comments yet?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

John 8:7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭landofthetree

He is an excellent commissioner. He should stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Probably gone off shopping for shoes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

I’m still trying to get over the Moroccan ambassador been there. Probably the best Moroccan ambassador ever. What was he thinking.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

The Oligarchs in the EU wont want the apple cart upset. The trough will be kept open for Hogan. If he Broke quarantine then maybe he will come under pressure. Hopefully he falls on his trotters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

To paraphrase love actually. I’m just a boy standing in front of a commissioner, asking him to resign.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

He is an excellent commissioner. He should stay.
    If he resigns does that mean he will want his old village idiot job back. There's a quque of people in Kilkenny on that list. He cant just barge in and take it

• Registered Users Posts: 51,413 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I would love it if Trickle has to resign. Arrogant and entitled as they come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭Gerry T

Can you tell me why he should resign

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭quokula

Why exactly would we want someone who's fighting our corner during Brexit negotiations to resign and most likely be replaced with somebody from another country who won't have as much interest in Ireland?

Because he had dinner out during lockdown? It was a stupid thing to do but I assume the other million plus people in the country who have also done that at some point should resign from their jobs too by that logic?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

if he resigns, Does this not mean ireland Looses it's commisioner?

Advertisement