Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Limousin Herd Dispersals

Options
  • 18-08-2020 8:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Any reason why there is so many Limousin herd dispersal's at the moment? Lads just getting out?

I always keep an eye Ped Lim sales out of interest & hope to purchase one in Spring but there seems to be a lot more sales this year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

The country is just full of pedigree limousins. I have 2 bulls for sale on Donedeal for over 2 weeks and not one call.
    The Begsrieve and Millburn herds are dispersing in the coming weeks. The largest limousin herd in the country, Ardlea/elite are dispersing next year. Prostponed due to Covid.

Anyone know what is up with the Begsrieve herd? When you search the Limousin Database, the animals are shown, but no figures appear. It's as if they are all not registered.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

A man in my parish had two savage limo bulls out of zag and I mean these were smashers. He couldn't sell them from home through donedeal and was only looking €2300 each which I thought was reasonable. If they had of went to a sale he would have got alot more for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭annubis

The country is just full of pedigree limousins. I have 2 bulls for sale on Donedeal for over 2 weeks and not one call.
    The Begsrieve and Millburn herds are dispersing in the coming weeks. The largest limousin herd in the country, Ardlea/elite are dispersing next year. Prostponed due to Covid.

Anyone know what is up with the Begsrieve herd? When you search the Limousin Database, the animals are shown, but no figures appear. It's as if they are all not registered.

perhaps they are already transferred to non lim society owner so no figures show up? like when you sell bull to farmer same thing happens doesnt it

annubis wrote: »
    perhaps they are already transferred to non lim society owner so no figures show up? like when you sell bull to farmer same thing happens doesnt it

No, all the heifers in the catalogue are that way. And ya, you're right, it's like they have already gone out of his herd. Very strange.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I suppose part of the reason is suckler farmers aren't buying lim bulls. Not too many dairy farmers use a lim bull anymore because of the longer gestation period.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

blue5000 wrote: »
    I suppose part of the reason is suckler farmers aren't buying lim bulls. Not too many dairy farmers use a lim bull anymore because of the longer gestation period.

Sadly it’s not just LM
    The BDGP has pushed more suckler farmers to AI as bull stars dropped
    Allot of farms going away from cows too, it will be noticeable in next 2-3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭tanko

farming93 wrote: »
    A man in my parish had two savage limo bulls out of zag and I mean these were smashers. He couldn't sell them from home through donedeal and was only looking €2300 each which I thought was reasonable. If they had of went to a sale he would have got alot more for them.

A Lim breeder near me brought two bulls to the premier show and sale in Roscrea a few years ago. Didn’t sell the bulls, wasn’t happy with the price.
    Sold them for more in the yard at home, he reckoned it cost him a grand to get the bulls to Roscrea including all his time preparing the bulls and costs like accomodation for a night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

The country is just full of pedigree limousins. I have 2 bulls for sale on Donedeal for over 2 weeks and not one call. .

Well s one of the worst times of the year to have a bull. April is the only time to have a bull imo

Well s one of the worst times of the year to have a bull. April is the only time to have a bull imo

I sold the other few I had in the spring. I kept one 2 year old for my own few cows and the other one is young enough still. I don't want to winter them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

The decline is across all continental beef breeds. The amount of lads getting out of sucklers is unreal. You couldn't blame them really as the sums add up to a poor return for a lot of hardship and expense.
    Having said that I do think the prices of pedigree bulls had run away with itself up to about 2 years ago. They've been dropping since.
    I usually buy a yearling bull early in the year, hold them for two seasons and sell them on at 3 years as they will still grade in the factory and you'd be getting top money. The secret is not to be paying extortion prices the first day. Theres always plenty AI bred 5 star bulls to be got sub €1600 at year olds

• Advertisement

The decline is across all continental beef breeds. The amount of lads getting out of sucklers is unreal. You couldn't blame them really as the sums add up to a poor return for a lot of hardship and expense.
    Having said that I do think the prices of pedigree bulls had run away with itself up to about 2 years ago. They've been dropping since.
    I usually buy a yearling bull early in the year, hold them for two seasons and sell them on at 3 years as they will still grade in the factory and you'd be getting top money. The secret is not to be paying extortion prices the first day. Theres always plenty AI bred 5 star bulls to be got sub €1600 at year olds

€1600 isn’t much
    He’d nearly make that as a weanling without papers
    €2000 min is a fairer return given the extra expense

No its great value. I got a super limousine Bull 2 years back for €1490, he was factory last week and I got €1800 in the yard for him.
    I suppose its down to over supply really. The one difference between the limo and Charli is that there is a lot more 5 star good quality limos about. While theres plenty Charli, some of the cheaper ones tend to be poor quality

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

No its great value. I got a super limousine Bull 2 years back for €1490, he was factory last week and I got €1800 in the yard for him.
    I suppose its down to over supply really. The one difference between the limo and Charli is that there is a lot more 5 star good quality limos about. While theres plenty Charli, some of the cheaper ones tend to be poor quality

You're right about the supply and demand, anyone selling a PBR bull for less than €1,600 is wasting their time......when you take into account the cost of AI, registration with society, fertility testing, ringing etc etc not to mind you are guaranteeing his fertility.......my cut off point is €1,800 which leaves me a few quid. Ideally, I need north of €2k to cover the replacement costs associated with the cow.

BTW at €2k+, I'm not making a whole lot......so why do I stay at it.....I enjoy breeding good cattle and will continue until I start to lose money.

I know a good few lads that gave up breeding Limousin. They used AI charolais instead on the cows. I avoid the heavy feeding to keep costs down. More and more buying too at a year old or under. Plenty of time then for the new bull to settle in and no worries about an older bull acting up when they let him off the trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

farming93 wrote: »

The fact that their are so many cattle by zag might not help with inbreeding an all?

I know a good few lads that gave up breeding Limousin. They used AI charolais instead on the cows. I avoid the heavy feeding to keep costs down. More and more buying too at a year old or under. Plenty of time then for the new bull to settle in and no worries about an older bull acting up when they let him off the trailer.

I would not blame them......lovely goldy coloured weanling worth ~1k with no issues etc.

I had one of two dairy lads ring me for a bull.....they wanted everything (AI bred, stars, short gestation, ringed, fertility tested..500kg's+) and were going to push the boat out as they liked the bull I had for sale.......€1,300 euro and a bit of luck back:D:D

The more lads pull out of breeding bulls the better.....mind you I would not be spending mad money buying breeding females..

I've banned myself from buying heifers. :D I've enough coming tru anyway.
    Are you going to the Millburn sale? I was hoping to go for a look. With the stricter Covid guidelines now, I wonder how will it be affected.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    I would not blame them......lovely goldy coloured weanling worth ~1k with no issues etc.

I had one of two dairy lads ring me for a bull.....they wanted everything (AI bred, stars, short gestation, ringed, fertility tested..500kg's+) and were going to push the boat out as they liked the bull I had for sale.......€1,300 euro and a bit of luck back:D:D

The more lads pull out of breeding bulls the better.....mind you I would not be spending mad money buying breeding females..

Generally dairy men are easier pleased with a bull imo than there suckler counterparts but there's exceptions to every rule. A friend of my would breed mostly AA bulls with a few LM and the majority of his customers would be dairy men. They haven't must interest in LM bulls due to gestation length and the fact that there slightly harder calved than the AA.

The best seller for him is a quiet sub 2 year old AA bull with a pedigree cert and under 2% calving difficulty at circa €1800. The buyer will usually keep the bull for 2 year's and slaughter him for a good proportion of what he cost. They want an easy calved pedigree bull and aren't usually over concerned about quality.

The pedigree job in general is over subscribed in recent years imo. Every second suckler farmer has a few pedigree cows of some description and once they have a pure bred bull calf he'll automatically be a future breeding bull in there eyes. A quick look at donedeal show's there's no shortage of bulls in the country and 9 times out of 10 what's plentiful is cheap. Granted there's some breeder's do go the extra mile and they deserve top prices and repeat customer. However there's a lot of lad's expect to get €1500 for a strong weanling simply because he has a cert where as his commercial comrade's would struggle to gross €1000 at a similar age and weight.

I've banned myself from buying heifers. :D I've enough coming tru anyway.
    Are you going to the Millburn sale? I was hoping to go for a look. With the stricter Covid guidelines now, I wonder how will it be affected.

Nope. The few quid in my pocket is being spent on things to make life easy:D

I need to cut numbers so will be offloading a few.....I’d love to buy a roundhill heifer.....maybe someday

Nope. The few quid in my pocket is being spent on things to make life easy:D

I need to cut numbers so will be offloading a few.....I’d love to buy a roundhill heifer.....maybe someday

The roundhill/castleview heifer sale is on in Roscrea on September 12th, fifty heifers for sale, there’s bound to be one or two you’ll like!!!

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »
    The roundhill/castleview heifer sale is on in Roscrea on September 12th, fifty heifers for sale, there’s bound to be one or two you’ll like!!!

That’s why i wouldn’t be going or logging on, the last sale I went to I bought one home:D. Fencing, changing and replacing gates, outfarm crush, redoing water pipes, scales and new shed are my priorities. I’m reducing numbers and enjoy it a bit more......I’ve seen enough of the race to the bottom in work without following suit in the farm. Been in a few places the last few weeks with great set ups and it’s really got me thinking. I’m not going to be a slave to it....life’s too short.

Will you make the trip or open the cheque book on line?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

A lot of dairy farmers only want a bull for one season and hang him up and no winter keep. An AA breeder was recently telling me he sold 3 bulls to a dairy man, one for the heifers and two to mop up the cows one in one out job and once they were easy calving and 1400 no problem. He would be back next spring for 3 more.
    The limousin dispersal is down to a lot of the way they are being bred now, some lacking milk, docility a problem, and over done bulls at sales and calving problems. The dairy man doesn’t want calving problems and the suckler man wants quiet cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭memorystick

Jersey is king now.

A lot of dairy farmers only want a bull for one season and hang him up and no winter keep. An AA breeder was recently telling me he sold 3 bulls to a dairy man, one for the heifers and two to mop up the cows one in one out job and once they were easy calving and 1400 no problem. He would be back next spring for 3 more.
    The limousin dispersal is down to a lot of the way they are being bred now, some lacking milk, docility a problem, and over done bulls at sales and calving problems. The dairy man doesn’t want calving problems and the suckler man wants quiet cattle.
    Personally I think gestation is key
    I’d a nice handy PB CH calf born at 283 days, even the dairy cows would have no issue

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Begsrieve herd is going as this man is going milking

Begsrieve herd is going as this man is going milking

Are all the animals for sale pedigree registered?

That’s why i wouldn’t be going or logging on, the last sale I went to I bought one home:D. Fencing, changing and replacing gates, outfarm crush, redoing water pipes, scales and new shed are my priorities. I’m reducing numbers and enjoy it a bit more......I’ve seen enough of the race to the bottom in work without following suit in the farm. Been in a few places the last few weeks with great set ups and it’s really got me thinking. I’m not going to be a slave to it....life’s too short.

Will you make the trip or open the cheque book on line?

Good thinking, all those things make life easier.
    No, won’t be buying. I don’t think those ladies would be happy sinking to their knees in the fields and spending six or seven months in a shed, the shock might be too much for them.

I had 26 cows and heifers calved this year, said i’d cut back a bit but have Ai’ed 33 this year!!
    Haven’t scanned yet, i have my doubts whether two or three of them are in calf.

A lot of Bulls going through the marts over the last 2 weeks. Big amount in Ennis yesterday, many of them young bulls less than 4yo

Anyone going to the Begsrieve sale tomorrow in Ardee mart? :rolleyes:

https://www.irishlimousin.com/event/begsrieve-herd-dispersal-sale-august-22nd-catalogue-now-available/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Anyone going to the Begsrieve sale tomorrow in Ardee mart? :rolleyes:

https://www.irishlimousin.com/event/begsrieve-herd-dispersal-sale-august-22nd-catalogue-now-available/

It’s hardly an online sale??

Advertisement