Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun..

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I don't think they can simply say 'nothing to do with us' as clearly these people turn up to run their event.

It's more about the idea that parkrun can contact 'everyone' that attended their run in the case of an outbreak. That's not strictly true, I guess RD's will have to reiterate the importance of being registered and having your barcode at the pre run briefing to make people more aware.

It won't stop the events from taking place, it's just an observation really. I'm sure HQ realise how many unknowns they have every week but maybe just decided not to cover that in their risk assessment.

For the contact tracing it all still comes down to the individual telling the contact tracers where they have been.

If Bob went to a parkrun with their barcode, then on the Monday tests positive contact tracers ask them where they have been, they say parkrun, parkrun then work with the contact tracers to decide if they need to spam everyone who was at the event, just the volunteers, just the person who Bob was chatting too at the finish line...or nobody because Bob was wearing a mask before the start, finished first and went straight home again after getting their barcode scanned from a distance.

Or if Mary goes to the parkrun without her barcode, tests positive on the Monday, tells the contact tracers, they contact parkrun, same thinking as above comes into play as to if anyone or everyone needs notifying.

Now if Fred is a volunteer token hander outer and tests positive on the Monday and had a bit of a gammy hand so keeps on dropping the tokens and coughing on them before picking them up and apologising for a minute with each finisher, then the contact tracers get involved and want to contact everyone, then a few more people who handled the tokens test positive and they contact the entire event from that week... You then have 90% of the attendees getting notified (which is way higher than any contact tracing system is currently managing) and even Mary who hadn't brought her barcode along find out as her friends tell her or she sees something on Facebook and she then also knows that shes at risk and should be isolating.

The whole contact racing thing would be great if it was 100%, but it doesn't need to be anywhere near that and it certainly doesn't mean that everyone at a parkrun will need to isolate if one person happens to test positive on the following Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

DeepBlue wrote: »
    One issue with the guidelines is emailing participants in advance of an event re-opening. That assumes that participants have set their home parkrun correctly in their profile.

Well that is the person own fault in fairness

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Don't think they will be emailing people based on their home event, they know that is a dodgy data set. Will be on a country wide basis and the number of people with their country set wrong will be much smaller, although it's far more complex to switch country than home event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Reading the material that was released yesterday, it looks to me like it is aimed at the UK parkruns so can't see someone like NPHET or the HSE being fully ok with the procedures in it, considering the UK authorities aren't doing a very good job of managing Covid from what I can see.

Most venues will probably have to change their start and finishing areas for the space required and also, the social aspect of parkrun will be no more. By talking to people afterwards is usually where most connections and volunteers come from so I think they're be an issue with recruiting volunteers to help out.

That along with the obvious issue of been at an event where you could have 100 plus people coming up to a scanner, breathing heavily on them and sweat dripping off the runner/walker, handing over a sweaty barcode that's kept in a pocket as they did 5k. I'd say parkruns will have trouble getting volunteers as I can't see how you get round some of the pinch points due to the new social norms, which are not any fault of parkrun.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭anchor4208

chinguetti wrote: »
    That along with the obvious issue of been at an event where you could have 100 plus people coming up to a scanner, breathing heavily on them and sweat dripping off the runner/walker, handing over a sweaty barcode that's kept in a pocket as they did 5k. I'd say parkruns will have trouble getting volunteers as I can't see how you get round some of the pinch points due to the new social norms, which are not any fault of parkrun.

I think this bit is manageable. The people doing the scanning can wear masks, and they don't have (and shouldn't) touch anything except for their own personal smart phone. The runner takes out their barcode and holds it at arms length in front of them. The scanner behaves similarly with their smart phone, so they're 1 meter + apart. The runner then puts their token into the container themselves.
    It will work especially well if there are extra scanners - i.e. if runners who are faster than 23-24 minutes are encouraged to do a bit of scanning after they've caught their breath.

• Advertisement

The scanning is a zero contact process, only contact between anyone and any item a runner touches is at the handing over of a token from the volunteer to the runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

robinph wrote: »
    The scanning is a zero contact process, only contact between anyone and any item a runner touches is at the handing over of a token from the volunteer to the runners.

Yeah, after listening to the podcast I’d be happy to volunteer again. We’ve been extremely careful due to relatives with health issues but this seems well thought out

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

chinguetti wrote: »
    sweat dripping off the runner/walker, handing over a sweaty barcode that's kept in a pocket as they did 5k. .

Sweat is not an issue afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Sweat is not an issue afaik

Not in its own right but sweat often comes with its disgusting buddy, snot and if you wipe the sweat from your brow or face and catch a few droplets in the process, its a risk. Having said that I'd be happy to scan under the guidelines as I wouldn't have to touch the barcode or anything related to the runner and could wear a mask for added protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

I was apprehensive but look, Tom laid it out well. I think what chinguetti is saying is really harsh, it does seem like a really well ad thought out process that can allow parkrun back while we still have covid within Ireland.

• Advertisement

Looks like they might get a test of how things run with local lockdowns and changes to social distancing happening in New Zealand this weekend. Auckland is on a three day long increase in restrictions as they try to track down where a new set of cases have come from, and the rest of the country is now going to be operating with some social distancing in effect again.

Will be interesting to see if parkrun pull the plug on the whole country, just Auckland, or leave it for the government to make the call and trust people to be sensible whilst still parkrunning within the local rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I didn't know the podcast Free Weekly Timed was an official parkrun podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Looks like they might get a test of how things run with local lockdowns and changes to social distancing happening in New Zealand this weekend. Auckland is on a three day long increase in restrictions as they try to track down where a new set of cases have come from, and the rest of the country is now going to be operating with some social distancing in effect again.

Will be interesting to see if parkrun pull the plug on the whole country, just Auckland, or leave it for the government to make the call and trust people to be sensible whilst still parkrunning within the local rules.

I've just seen they have suspended on NZ parkrun events with immediate effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Anbocmorrua

I've never done the barcode scanning. Do you think it'd be possible to lash up a self-scanner from the scanning devices they use?

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

I've never done the barcode scanning. Do you think it'd be possible to lash up a self-scanner from the scanning devices they use?

Should be able to do it, it would just be a case of fixing it to a stake or something like that.

I believe it can't do the finish token first & then personal one. I would foresee, however, a bottleneck with this kind of setup until people get used to doing it.

Could be done with the app I should think if you managed to stop the screen timing out. Think the app would be clever enough to sort out people scanning in the wrong order, but probably simpler to just use a person as the post you attach the phone to and they can keep the screen unlocked, make sure people scan the correct barcodes in the right order and make sure people drop the correct barcodes in the box on the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Could be done with the app I should think if you managed to stop the screen timing out. Think the app would be clever enough to sort out people scanning in the wrong order, but probably simpler to just use a person as the post you attach the phone to and they can keep the screen unlocked, make sure people scan the correct barcodes in the right order and make sure people drop the correct barcodes in the box on the floor.

Yeah, I can it working with the app, but not the hardware scanners. Doing it with the app would effectively be contactless, which is a bonus. Could even request donation of old phones rather than someone having to use theirs.

Someone still needs to press the button on the hardware barcode scanners, though, so you've got everyone handling the scanner, rather than just one volunteer wearing gloves. And they can be finicky.

Using the old hardware scanners is no longer allowed, and having old phones donated for scanning isn't either.

Don't throw the old scanners though as they will likely all be wanted to be donated back for use in prison parkruns.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,413 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Using the old hardware scanners is no longer allowed, and having old phones donated for scanning isn't either.

Don't throw the old scanners though as they will likely all be wanted to be donated back for use in prison parkruns.

Lots of good chat here.

The weak link is few volunteers participating. These are the people who know the practicality to the non (or occasional) volunteer’s idealism.

Not much appreciation of the nonrunning (volunteer) side so far.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Not much appreciation of the nonrunning (volunteer) side so far.

What issues do you see?

People who don't possess a smart phone not being able to do scanning as a volunteer is a change to the inclusiveness of parkrun, they are aware of that change though. For now that is a change that would be necessary to be able to get parkrun back at all.

Are there other things?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

I've done barcode scanning 2 or 3 times and always used my own phone. Have done the timing a good bit more again with my own phone. I'd happily do scanning or whatever is required most Saturday mornings until Christmas if it meant getting Parkrun back for others. No problem taking one for the team.

Dudda wrote: »
    I've done barcode scanning 2 or 3 times and always used my own phone. Have done the timing a good bit more again with my own phone. I'd happily do scanning or whatever is required most Saturday mornings until Christmas if it meant getting Parkrun back for others. No problem taking one for the team.

Same. Lack of volunteers will not be a problem when parkrun resumes, I guarantee it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Anyone get emails today in French and English?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Yup got a french one today.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

I wasn't the only one then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Oui

Oui, moi aussi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Et moi. La meme.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Le parkrun? What the hell is that?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Mais oui, mais oui.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement