Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

1967 VW Variant.

Options

Comments

Interior light cluster switches maybe? Did that car even have them? Its 22 years older than me BTW :pac:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Interior light cluster switches maybe? Did that car even have them? Its 22 years older than me BTW :pac:

I thought that too, but its too late to go check.

I will investigate tomorrow

I am 12 years older than this car:D

I will shortly need a resto:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

If i brought that home now, I would need a major resto for sure.

Her indoors thinks I have a major problem with old volks. She say I am running a rescue centre for old volkswagens.

But its a mind over matter thing.

I dont mind what she thinks coz it dont matter.:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

That last video is great kadman .... unbelievable what you and your brother have done in such a short space of time .... so impressed!! ... love the way you pat the wing at the end of the clip :):)

• Advertisement

I just found out what the levers are.
    They are connected to the front seats apparently.
    When the doors are opened the front seats can flip forward for rear seat access.

When the doors are closed, the front seat backs are locked in an upright position

alfa beta wrote: »
    That last video is great kadman .... unbelievable what you and your brother have done in such a short space of time .... so impressed!! ... love the way you pat the wing at the end of the clip :):)

The pat was recognition of how good the car is, and how pleased i am with it.

Did your mum see it at all :)

not yet - I was waiting for the 'sound and vision' version before showing her, and now that you've put that up I'm sure she'll be amazed - will show her tomorrow..

btw, good news ... I think we've found the front indicator (both the orange plastic bit and the chrome fitting) ..... I just been pausing your vid as you drive towards the camera and I'm pretty sure what we've found is the right shape .... I'll double check tomorrow and if it's what I think it is it'll be in the post to you asap ... :)

alfa beta wrote: »
    not yet - I was waiting for the 'sound and vision' version before showing her, and now that you've put that up I'm sure she'll be amazed - will show her tomorrow..

btw, good news ... I think we've found the front indicator (both the orange plastic bit and the chrome fitting) ..... I just been pausing your vid as you drive towards the camera and I'm pretty sure what we've found is the right shape .... I'll double check tomorrow and if it's what I think it is it'll be in the post to you asap ... :)

Brilliant looks like I will have to make another small donation so:):)

Well you definitely have plenty of sound on the video, because the exhaust has numerous splits in it.

I might weld it, or fit a New Old Stock exhaust that I have, 2 really.

But thats another days work.

• Advertisement

Don't be silly - it's part of the car - so no further donation required!!!

Anyway, hold fire until I check tomorrow - it looks right, but there was so much stuff came and went through the years including beetles, minibus, VW vans etc. I'd be afraid it might be off something else entirely.

If you get a chance in the morning could you post a close up pic of the other indicator on this thread - then I'll know for sure one way or the other if what I have is any good to you.

:)

There you go, same as this one, but the opposite side, they are not handed.

jsWHLE6.jpg?2

These are the correct lenses, and they fit into a chrome surround

VUSn3Ze.jpg

Well a few more surprises today.

I decided to get the seats ou, remove the carpet and check the floor pan edges.
    This is where type 3's rust primarily, at the floor pan edge where
    it attaches to the heater channels.
    Pictures of which I will put in a later post.

Surprise number 1 was that the carpet had velcro attachments:eek:
    I did not think velcro was invented back then.

FL6pCSy.jpg

Surprise number 2 was the condition of the seat bases.
    I think immaculate says it best. This is the drivers seat, which normally suffers most. Its metalwork is undamaged and intact.

iZF3vNW.jpg

Surprise number 3 the floor pan insulation is immaculate also. Its normally broken due to brittleness, missing, or otherwise loose from the pan.
    Its 100% perfect and well attached. With even manufacturers details still attached.

CJxtWBy.jpg

More surprises to follow, stay tuned:)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 BbSean

[QUOTE=kadman;114233254

Surprise number 1 was that the carpet had velcro attachments:eek:
    I did not think velcro was invented back then.

[/QUOTE]

Velcro was widely used on the Apollo 1 mission and was a contribution to fierce fire that killed the crew it helped spread the fire as it was highly flammable.

It was invented in the 1940’s or at least developed then.

This is about the only thing that I can contribute to this thread.

Impressive work to date!

Watching the video of you driving it out of the garage and giving the double thumbs up brought a smile to my face.

And thanks for keeping me sane in the past two weeks of quarantine 😁

BbSean wrote: »
    Velcro was widely used on the Apollo 1 mission and was a contribution to fierce fire that killed the crew it helped spread the fire as it was highly flammable.

It was invented in the 1940’s or at least developed then.

This is about the only thing that I can contribute to this thread.

Impressive work to date!

Watching the video of you driving it out of the garage and giving the double thumbs up brought a smile to my face.

And thanks for keeping me sane in the past two weeks of quarantine 😁

Thanks for that snippet:)

I,ll keep a good eye on that when I reach Mach 10 on takeoff:D

Just got a heads up from an observant viewer to the last vid, that the left brakelight does in fact work:D

Now that John spotted that, he can fix the one that does not work:P

Hi Kadman - this is what we found - is this right? If so, I'll wrap it up and stick it in the post to you.

indicator.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I haven't a clue about cars other than how to drive one, I just wanted to say this thread is absolutely incredible. I love vintage cars so seeing one come to life like this is lovely to see.

Brilliant thats the one:)

• Advertisement

A quick look at the floorpan and heater channel areas.

With VW Type 3 there are certain areas that attract rust. Similar to the beetles.
    Both A and B posts, under the back seat, battery tray, and in particular heater channels

On this car for all intents and purposes, its rust free. Surface rust is just that, surface rust.
    No metal degradation or corrosion, just rust on the surface, easily dealt with.

I will show a vid on how easily surface rust is dealt with. But next the heater/floorpan area.:)

Hey alfa, i found this down by the drivers seat. So its your mum's or dad's.
    I will send it to you as a nice keepsake if you would like.:)

tb6y7bJ.jpg

eeU0Aaw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Why would you import something in such a state. Flipper!

---

Excellent work kadman as always. She's looking great.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭WildWater

In the late 70’s or maybe early 80’s a friends dad had a VW estate. From memory it was similar to yours, perhaps bigger, and maybe 4 doors? Anyway, what I do remember clearly is him showing me that if you pushed down hard at the front of the passenger foot well the accelerator went down (accelerated) thank feck we were too young to drive!

Brilliant work Kadman.

WildWater wrote: »
    In the late 70’s or maybe early 80’s a friends dad had a VW estate. From memory it was similar to yours, perhaps bigger, and maybe 4 doors? Anyway, what I do remember clearly is him showing me that if you pushed down hard at the front of the passenger foot well the accelerator went down (accelerated) thank feck we were too young to drive!

Brilliant work Kadman.

Thats because the accerator rod went from the drivers side, throuigh the tunnel towards the passenger side, where the cable was hooked up, and back through the tunnel.

You forced down the passenger footplate, as well as the cover over the hookup maybe, and the car accelerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jelutong

Is the car fitted with a petrol fuelled heater? Asking for a friend who worked on them in a VW Dealership many moons ago.

jelutong wrote: »
    Is the car fitted with a petrol fuelled heater? Asking for a friend who worked on them in a VW Dealership many moons ago.

I assume you are referring to the eberspacher heater ( spelling)

No this car is not fitted with it, it does not need it to be honest.While we were tuning the engine, John was in the cabin area, and the heat was stifling.

Gave the Variant a good wash today to get the crap off before I put it inside for work

vvy9P7d.jpg

9Br3aHd.jpg

P5l1X31.jpg

I gave the carpets a good scrub too to get the muck off and use them for templates for the
    new carpets that i will make.

naiA6Rc.jpg

Cleaner

Z7SBX53.jpg

hqUP3ja.jpg

Are those hubcaps hard to find? They seem to be the type with the raised centre.

• Advertisement

kadman wrote: »
    Hey alfa, i found this down by the drivers seat. So its your mum's or dad's.
    I will send it to you as a nice keepsake if you would like.:)

tb6y7bJ.jpg

eeU0Aaw.jpg

Do that - she can keep it with the chestnuts!!

Advertisement