Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day out venues.

• 25-07-2020 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any suggestions for a group of adults to spend an away day in Galway?

Public transport and within BE bus limits.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Salthill Omniplex is open and running some classic films.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,593 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Galway Summer Garden.

Barna Woods - involves a short walk from the Knocknacarra bus .. walk a bit further into Barna village for coffee if desired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭TwoWheeledTim

Want something active? Try Rusheen Bay for watersports (windsurfing, paddle boarding, kayaking...), bus stop at the bottom of Ballymoneen Road, just over the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Galway Summer Garden.

Barna Woods - involves a short walk from the Knocknacarra bus .. walk a bit further into Barna village for coffee if desired.

Went to Summer Garden with friends, one was nearly crying with happiness at a bit of 'festival' vibe :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Great idea's tks, anything on the eastside of the city?
    Noone wants to do the beach there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,593 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Merlin Woods or Aunteen and Uncleen Woods + coffee at Poppyseed @ Galway Crystal.

Doughiska Playground + coffee at Neighbourhood Cafe.... if with kids.

Jumplanes trampolines

Escape rooms are open, although you might want to be from the same household/bubble.
    https://greatescaperooms.ie/

I heard the city museum is open, if that's your thing. Worth a stroll through every so often on a wet day... free and nice views over the Spanish Arch and the Claddagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Escape rooms are open, although you might want to be from the same household/bubble.
    https://greatescaperooms.ie/

I heard the city museum is open, if that's your thing. Worth a stroll through every so often on a wet day... free and nice views over the Spanish Arch and the Claddagh.

City Museum is open again, but it is worth bearing in mind that you need to book tickets in advance (online). Also it's only the ground floor that is open for now, so you don't get the nice view across to the Claddagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Pistachio

inisboffin wrote: »
    Went to Summer Garden with friends, one was nearly crying with happiness at a bit of 'festival' vibe :D

Inisboffin, can you bring your own drink/food or do you have to order there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Hopefully inisboffin can comment on what food was on offer, the quality, and cost.

I spoke to the fella at the gate and he said you can't bring in your own food or drink. So it's not just rent a tent for 80 quid and bring a cooler and your friends. Think of it more like a catering thing of €X per head. I'd imagine you'd drop 250+ for tent, food, and booze for a group.

• Advertisement

Hopefully inisboffin can comment on what food was on offer, the quality, and cost.

More info here;
    https://galwaysummergarden.ie/

Looks like they'll have a few gigs there too.

Pistachio wrote: »
    Inisboffin, can you bring your own drink/food or do you have to order there?

You have to order what’s there. Pretty streamlined bar and food menu but v well done. You what’s app your order and they bring it to your tent. You can also order a vip thing with a picnic, but normal menu stuff is around a tenner. Maybe you can bring soft drinks as didn’t see them on the menu bar for mixers so take note any non drinkers.

I spoke to the fella at the gate and he said you can't bring in your own food or drink. So it's not just rent a tent for 80 quid and bring a cooler and your friends. Think of it more like a catering thing of €X per head. I'd imagine you'd drop 250+ for tent, food, and booze for a group.

It’s 25 a head for the tent regardless of numbers up to 8 - they did have it priced differently but now it’s better if there’s only 5 of you say. There’s live music and it’s great. I also went to a gig and that was just a tenner but you’re just in the field for that (under a stretch marquee)

Race week is a whole different yoke tho apparently with 100 a head package including food and fancy stuff and big screen races. Not for me but I’ll definitely go again and book a tent with other friends for the regular offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Advertisement