Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everyone at the beach?

• 11-07-2020 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭

What up?!

This Forum is silent today. Logs all waiting for Sunday weekly updates?

Its quiet all week too. Only 2 months ago it was buzzing. Old faces back, new faces etc.. lots of new threads, busy logs. Now.. tumbleweed.

People just back to life, work, shopping, driving, visiting etc..? Or we just missing the usual buzz of autumn marathon logs and all the chat and questions that go with them. No events, no motivation to write?

Hopefully thats just it. Prioritising relationships over social media time. Anyway just checking in. At least from Strava I see the running continues. Stay safe all

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Amity Island with Chief Brody, Quint and Hooper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Actually have only been browsing this forum for awhile.

Just before lockdown I was being treated for a stress fracture to my left 5th metatarsal, which came to a sudden stop when lockdown was announced with a phone call from my physio ''lock down, blah blah blah... rest the foot, no running, blah blah blah''.

Came back running last week, and got a whooper blister.

So everyone at the beach Q.. Well yes, I'm swimming between 1-2km most days.. Off to catch the tide at Portmarnock now actually :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Hope you're injury gets sorted soon Makikomi and you're back on the road soon.

2 more runs and then a little lonesome time trial of my own to do and I'll have stuck to a whole plan for 12 weeks! I missed one run the day of the Garda raid but it's the least amount of absenteeism I've ever had in a plan.

I remember groaning when looking at it first that 12 weeks was too long and I'll never get to the end of it. But I'm nearly there :D

The best thing is that I've enjoyed every single step and actually missed it on the days off!!! There was a girl I used to see running and she looked like the happiest person alive doing it. I was always in pain! :pac: But after sorting out my paces, sorting out me runners and getting off my lazy butt, I'm the happiest person you'll see on the road :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Just diagnosed with medial meniscus tear so no running for me for a while. Not a lot else to be said really :mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Dental Floss

Motivation is defo an issue for me, but Quest Glendalough is on so I have to find the mojo to get back into it seriously

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

The OH thought I was getting complacent with WFH and managing without childcare so she figured she would throw a curve ball with another impending arrival on the way.

Running/ Social media took a hit picking up the slack at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

KSU wrote: »
    The OH thought I was getting complacent with WFH and managing without childcare so she figured she would throw a curve ball with another impending arrival on the way.

Congrats.. You'll have plenty of time now to train ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Congrats! Enjoy just having one little person at home while you can :)

Ah congratulations :D

Ceepo wrote: »
    Congrats.. You'll have plenty of time now to train ;)

Sure they will look after each other. Be grand :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Congratulations L, loads of more free time with 2!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Congratulations L, delighted for you.

From my end my running has taken a big backwards step. I can only really run a few mins without stopping so I started doing 5 mins run with 1 min walk for 3 miles.

Over the last few weeks I've increased this to 7 mins/1min and stretched the distance out to 4 miles but the process is very slow.

I managed to meet up with the Sanctuary runners group yesterday which was nice as I'm not going to realistically join in club sessions at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

KSU wrote:

Great news.... Takes two to tango. Haha. Nice one man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Thats what happens alright ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

They will be best friends for 5 mins every day

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Ed......

Congratulations lad!
    Delighted for you and the OH.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Totally worth setting up this random thread now! Welcome Back, and congrats! Looking forward to your 3am Yoga/S&C updates already :D

Totally worth setting up this random thread now! Welcome Back, and congrats! Looking forward to your 3am Yoga/S&C updates already :D

If last time is anything to go by the night feeds are the perfect alarm clock to get me out of the scratcher and wake up for long enough to get out the door early morning while everyone else is in bed :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

If last time is anything to go by the night feeds are the perfect alarm clock to get me out of the scratcher and wake up for long enough to get out the door early morning while everyone else is in bed :P

Chances are number 2 is totally different to number 1.

That's what we found out in many ways

• Registered Users Posts: 10,412 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Chances are number 2 is totally different to number 1.

That's what we found out in many ways

Are we talking about babies or something else? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Big huge congratulations:D

Eh if this does happen can you tell me the secret :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

For me the running has gone to pot. Was keeping going for a bit with the minor motivation of various virtual challenges, but then found myself getting worse at each of those over the weeks and that then lost its motivation and became a chore. Think I need the combination of an impending race that I've not trained enough for and weekly parkruns where even if I take it easy I still have to run hard in parts to get the buggy through a small gap at the top of a hill before someone in the crowd cuts me off. Great that the kid is now back in school for part of the day, and there is also some limited holiday clubs available as well, but before that was a total nightmare trying to get anything constructive done either work/ education/ running/ life and basically just felt like it was failing at all aspects.

Have just signed up for a daft virtual ultra which will hopefully scare me back into action before the end of August.

We did get along to a local beach, but picked the rainy days for that. Kid doesn't care, sand sticks together better for sand castles, and the sea is about 2 miles away across some mud flats at our main local beach anyway so you only go there for sand, donkey rides, ice cream and fish and chips, not swimming in the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

trained my legs into the ground during lockdown, now getting fat while i prepare to do it all again for cross country

IvoryTower wrote: »
    trained my legs into the ground during lockdown, now getting fat while i prepare to do it all again for cross country

The one safe space in this post Nike world :P

I'm try to get fit enough to train for this atm myself

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

IvoryTower wrote: »
    can't wait!

Hope it's ok to plonk this in here :D

I finished the 5k plan with a TT today, so thought I might make you all suffer with the results! :D The goal was 33, but 32 would be the bees knees. I measured Womble Hill and Old Bawn Death Climb* and expected they'd be slow, but Womble Hill has a lovely downside to it, so as long as I picked it up after that, I should be able to make up for lost time. Old Bawn Death Climb, I was just going to have to see what I had when I came to it.

Mile 1 - Was reading too fast I panicked a bit that the hills were to come so pulled back a bit. 10.20

Mile 2 - Womble Hill - On repeat in my head - Don't fly up it...Don't fly up it...it will kill you before it's over. When I think back to the 5k Time Trial in April it's so funny. Trying to slow down for it was not even on my radar :pac: Just getting up it was nearly too much for me. Sure enough when I got to the downside, I was a bit winded. Straightened up, lightened the footsteps and J Lo came to the rescue :D10.50

Mile 3 - Old Bawn Death Climb, it kills me. I had a stitch, breathing like a train. The 10k TT a few weeks ago came to mind, so I talked myself round and kept concentrating. But it sapped a lot. When I got over it I had to just grit my teeth and bear it. Stay straight, lighten your footsteps. Looked at my watch. It was already 32 I wondered when the hell did that happen? I'd still about half a mile to go. :( I kept trying to push by picking objects a head and telling myself if I just run to them, it'll all be over by then, but it never was. I was never going to make it! I was going to die first. Told myself I'm never doing one of these flaming stupid things again. 32 was floating away. Eventually I decided to stop looking at the watch, shut up talking to myself and just focus and run until it beeps. 11.09

It all ended at 33:29. I'm happy with that. Nothing more I could do. Practice at tackling the hills better for sure, but nothing more today.

A 3 minute improvement on the 5k TT back in April would have been ace, after 12 weeks work. Nonetheless, I'm happy there's improvement at all, 2 mins ain't so bad. I'm curious about trying it out in a race :eek: and seeing how I handle it!

Again, for the gazillionth time, thank you so much to everyone who organised the TTs, especially Ooneg for doing the first one. I never thought there was a hunger for any of this still, but that first 5k TT sparked something off and I've come out of the lockdown in a much stronger position than I went into it!

For now, I can finally say - I love it when a plan comes together :D

* Some might call these no more than little hills :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,412 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good stuff, HS, but would you have not picked a flatter course? Super improvement all the same.

Haahaa... Would have been smart I suppose :D

I used the same route that I used for the TT so I could see the difference between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Been enjoying running mostly. Set some time targets for shorter distance stuff over the last couple of months. Also, went about setting a few of CRs locally on Strava for the craic and even engaged in my first bit of running tourism (see below).

Work took me to Inchicore during the week and I couldn't pass up the chance to tackle the fabled Kyhber route in the Phoenix park. Thanks to Sacksians log I had an idea of what to expect (where it would hurt most and where it would level off) and came up with a target for myself before taking it on. I did 4 runs up aiming for anything in the high 3:20s. Times were something like [3:29, 3:30, 3:28, 3:23]. Amazed to discover that the prevailing wind is actually into your face during the ascent too. Sure why not heap some misery on top of pain :rolleyes:

Overall a lovely experience with jelly legs and heavy breathing to finish. Would be happy to recommend to a friend or enemy and intend on visiting again.
    Review: 4.5/5
    Pros: Paradoxically while being a big dirty hill the place was immaculately clean. Some kind soul marked the 100 m intervals up to at least the 500 m point as far as I could see.
    Cons: Group of 10+ teenage cyclists partially blocking my rapid ascent on 2nd and 3rd attempts.

Thanks shotgun. This is a good reminder for me to get around around to writing the epilogue for my 1 mile journey along with the epitaph the log itself. I'll do it eventually I swear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Super improvement HS! Well done :)

Advertisement