Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail

• 13-07-2020 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,453 ✭✭✭✭

I got on to Irish rail this morning as I wanted to book tickets to go down to Kilkenny in a few weeks time with the family but I noticed on there web site the only tickets available are flexi Tickets, So you can't actually book a seat ,

They told me because of the current Covid times I can not book seat but also that booking the flexi tickets does not guarantee us a spot on the train as they also sell tickets at the station as well as online, So I just have to turn up early and hope for a spot,

Surely a company of there standing could come up with a better way and surely because of Covid it would be better to only allow seats to be booked in advance ?

Makes absolute no sense to me to just take booking and see how many turn up given the current climate, its a bit of a farce to be honest,

Anyway that's my rant over ,

I'll be driving,
    (TURNS OUT I WAS ADVISED INCORRECTLY, I can book seat I just can't chose them)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,749 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I got on to Irish rail this morning as I wanted to book tickets to go down to Kilkenny in a few weeks time with the family but I noticed on there web site the only tickets available are flexi Tickets, So you can't actually book a seat ,

They told me because of the current Covid times I can not book seat but also that booking the flexi tickets does not guarantee us a spot on the train as they also sell tickets at the station as well as online, So I just have to turn up early and hope for a spot,

Surely a company of there standing could come up with a better way and surely because of Covid it would be better to only allow seats to be booked in advance ?

Makes absolute no sense to me to just take booking and see how many turn up given the current climate, its a bit of a farce to be honest,

I'll be driving,
    It's same for the enterprise.
    Only way to book a seat is to go first class....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

What did they say when you approached them with your ideas Shirley?

And yeah, with family then driving is the safer option right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,453 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

biko wrote: »
    What did they say when you approached them with your ideas Shirley?

They said sorry I was unhappy but its company policy at the moment ,

Your probably right but it would have been nice to leave the car at home for the weekend,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

@ yourdeadwright

Sorry for your troubles but that's CIE for you and as for a company of their standing. Lol - CIE have no standing and are completely past their sell by date.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

In the current climate I see nothing wrong with the response you got OP.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Advertisement

Would you not think it would make more sense for them to just take bookings ?

Surely that's safer than just having a large number turn up for each train and start long queues from early to make sure they get a spot ,

Then when people are refused a spot you have a number of people waiting around in the station for the next train,

All that could be avoided by letting people book seats that are available online ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It's a bit odd they they don't seem to allow you to book an individual train. But the standard ticket has been a "flexi ticket," for as long as I can remember. Even if you booked a ticket for a particular departure, it is loaded on a first come first served basis and there is no means to control when someone with a "Flexi Ticket," is going to appear.

Are you suggesting they should stop selling their standard tickets?

It's a bit odd they they don't seem to allow you to book an individual train. But the standard ticket has been a "flexi ticket," for as long as I can remember. Even if you booked a ticket for a particular departure, it is loaded on a first come first served basis and there is no means to control when someone with a "Flexi Ticket," is going to appear.

Are you suggesting they should stop selling their standard tickets?

Well normally you can also book a seat but at the moment you can't , Your only option is the flexi ticket,

Surely it would have made more sense to get rid of the flexi ticket and keep the seat booking system given the current climate with Covid ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭satguy

The more people CIE can force off trains and into their cars, the less real work their union members will have to do.

But we will still pay their wages through our taxes. It's a win win for CIE workers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Well normally you can also book a seat but at the moment you can't , Your only option is the flexi ticket,

Surely it would have made more sense to get rid of the flexi ticket and keep the seat booking system given the current climate with Covid ?

They'd have to overhaul their ticketing setup. The Flexi Ticket is the standard/default product they sell, it's also quite open ended for the return variants. They can't just nullify every ticket that is currently active.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

What's wrong with first come first served in the current climate?
    Surely someone who wants to ensure they have left adequate time and books their ticket ahead of time should get preference ahead of someone who just shows up on the day?

Would you not think it would make more sense for them to just take bookings ?

Surely that's safer than just having a large number turn up for each train and start long queues from early to make sure they get a spot ,

Then when people are refused a spot you have a number of people waiting around in the station for the next train,

All that could be avoided by letting people book seats that are available online ?

No one has been refused a spot, it’s a free for all. People can make there own conclusions if this is good or bad....

I was just commenting on the reply you got.

Effects wrote: »
    What's wrong with first come first served in the current climate?
    Surely someone who wants to ensure they have left adequate time and books their ticket ahead of time should get preference ahead of someone who just shows up on the day?
    Nothing.
    In normal circumstances that happens, but I suppose they can’t change there systems for what should only be a temporary situation, hopefully....

Nothing.
    In normal circumstances that happens, but I suppose they can’t change there systems for what should only be a temporary situation, hopefully....

I don't get this "Change of system "
    They HAVE changed the system they took away the ability to book a seat, when it would have made sense to take away the ability to buy a flexi ticket,

They had the system in place of booking seats in advance , they just had to make that the only option ,

They'd have to overhaul their ticketing setup. The Flexi Ticket is the standard/default product they sell, it's also quite open ended for the return variants. They can't just nullify every ticket that is currently active.

They wouldn't they could just stop Flexi tickets being available the same way they have just stopped the ability to book a seat,

• Registered Users Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

satguy wrote: »
    The more people CIE can force off trains and into their cars, the less real work their union members will have to do.

But we will still pay their wages through our taxes. It's a win win for CIE workers.

you mean a win for the management, because it sure as hell won't be a win for the workers on the ground.
    management make decisions, workers work, unions make representations if there is an issue but cannot make decisions over the running of a company.
    and yes, we will pay the wages of staff running public services from our taxes, as that is generally how public services are funded.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

you mean a win for the management, because it sure as hell won't be a win for the workers on the ground.
    management make decisions, workers work, unions make representations if there is an issue but cannot make decisions over the running of a company.
    and yes, we will pay the wages of staff running public services from our taxes, as that is generally how public services are funded.

But this is CIE, where the unions act as if they run the place and progress is held up and used as a bargaining element to force matters.

Remember cycling is easier...

But this is CIE, where the unions act as if they run the place and progress is held up and used as a bargaining element to force matters.

Not to mention Complete Incompetence Expected followed closely by Cash In Everything.

I don't get this "Change of system "
    They HAVE changed the system they took away the ability to book a seat, when it would have made sense to take away the ability to buy a flexi ticket,

They had the system in place of booking seats in advance , they just had to make that the only option ,

yep, fair point....

only if it suits whatever agenda they have at any given time. Unions don't give a hoot about any individual member.

• Advertisement

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Not to mention Complete Incompetence Expected followed closely by Cash In Everything.

Not like you to be bad mouthing all things CIE, IR, BE, DB now, is it...:rolleyes:

Not like you to be bad mouthing all things CIE, IR, BE, DB now, is it...:rolleyes:

I can't recall bad mouthing Dublin Bus as they have improved immeasurably in the years since I was a regular user.

OK folks I can delete the thread because regardless of what the women told me when I rang them,
    It turns out infact I can still book a seat I just can't chose the seat
    So I take it all back Irish Rail are OK and iv manged to book seats

the unions don't think any such thing, they already have years of experience under their belt to show them they don't run anything.
    unions in any company may not agree to certain things if it negatively effects their members, or as part of negotiations in relation to other issues, collective bargaining 101.
    management and government are why irish rail are the way they are.
    government for not forcing them to improve and management for not being interested.
    as already mentioned dublin bus have managed to improve hugely over the years and are now actually a decent enough operator, not perfect and certainly there will be room for improvement i would imagine, but they have made a good effort, and that is dispite having CIE as it's parent.
    anyway, good to hear the op got his problem sorted in the end.

the unions don't think any such thing, they already have years of experience under their belt to show them they don't run anything.
    unions in any company may not agree to certain things if it negatively effects their members, or as part of negotiations in relation to other issues, collective bargaining 101.
    management and government are why irish rail are the way they are.
    government for not forcing them to improve and management for not being interested.
    as already mentioned dublin bus have managed to improve hugely over the years and are now actually a decent enough operator, not perfect and certainly there will be room for improvement i would imagine, but they have made a good effort, and that is dispite having CIE as it's parent.
    anyway, good to hear the op got his problem sorted in the end.

None so blind as those who won’t see.
    This post is all twaddle.
    The transport unions are a bunch of chancers. Half of them can barely send an e-mail. They have no idea where the shift or CAPS button is on the keyboard.

None so blind as those who won’t see.
    This post is all twaddle.
    The transport unions are a bunch of chancers. Half of them can barely send an e-mail. They have no idea where the shift or CAPS button is on the keyboard.

100% incorrect on the first 2 counts and the third cannot be proven without surveying all union members and reps to show your claim to be the case.

100% incorrect on the first 2 counts and the third cannot be proven without surveying all union members and reps to show your claim to be the case.

That post is like a reply you would get from a union rep.

Childish nonsense. Thanks for proving my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A cycle all the way to Kilkenny is easier?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

I'll be driving,
    (TURNS OUT I WAS ADVISED INCORRECTLY, I can book seat I just can't chose them)

You can avail of the online fare. The seat reservation system is switched off for now so your name wont appear above a seat and you can sit anywhere that hasn't got a covid sign on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

gmisk wrote: »
    It's same for the enterprise.
    Only way to book a seat is to go first class....

No first class at the moment.

Advertisement