Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BLM, or WLM? [MOD WARNING: FIRST POST]

• 29-06-2020 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭

Right,

I have just read this article, and to be honest, either it is Really badly worded, or it is telling us to keep quiet and know our place.

https://news.sky.com/story/the-misconceptions-behind-the-white-lives-matter-banner-12013727

Can someone clarify the meaning of this for us normal people?

Admin warning: Due to the amount of antagonistic posting in this thread so far, any further infractions in the thread for anybody will be met with a card AND threadban.

I have updated the OP of this thread with a list of threadbanned users, I would advise posters to check on this before posting in the thread again or a forum sanction will be imposed for breaching same.

If you want to discuss your threadban feel free to PM the banning mod (or myself if you can't remember who that is and I'll point you in the right direction).

Threadbanned Users:
    shutup
    JKnoxer
    DelaneyIn
    Cupatae
    ExMachina1000
    Tipperary animal lover
    Foxtrol
    Justin Credible Darts
    Overheal lifted 30.6.21
    mynamejeff
    20cent
    JJayoo
    RobbieTheRobber
    nj27

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

The World's going mad, everybody's crazy and social media rears our children.....
    Doomed DOOOOOMMMMMED I TELL YA.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,052 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Right,

I have just read this article, and to be honest, either it is Really badly worded, or it is telling us to keep quiet and know our place.

It didn't come across as either of these IMO.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Some ramble about "white privilege". An exercise in box fitting, I wouldn't take it seriously.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,052 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Some ramble about "white privilege". An exercise in box fitting, I wouldn't take it seriously.

I watched the video. He never directly said "white privilege".

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

it is telling us to keep quiet and know our place.

I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how you got that from the article and accompanying video.

• Advertisement

I watched the video. He never directly said "white privilege".

It's in the accompanying article.
    You may have heard the phrase "white privilege" and been antagonised by it. Don't be.

It doesn't mean that you live in the lap of luxury and spend your life deciding which magnum of champagne you will have with your dinner. It means that life is tilted in your direction to such an extent that you probably don't even notice.

When you walk around the shops is it assumed you are a criminal? Do the police stop you regularly because you look suspicious? If you are black the answer is yes. Is it for you?

In your business what colour are the people who have the power? What colour are the people who make the decisions? What colour is the manager of your favourite football team? What colour is the owner of your favourite football team?

The chances are that the answers are probably white and if you are white it has probably never crossed your mind to give it much thought. Have a think about it now. That is white privilege.

Can't see anything wrong there. It's simply trying to explain what people mean about white privilege by giving context.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

So the statement " You may have heard the phrase "white privilege" and been antagonised by it. Don't be. " is just an innocent term?

"understand that black people want a level playing field, an equal chance. That is all. Not more than you, just the same opportunities as you."

To be honest, of all the black people i know none are paid less than me.

SO where is the White Privilege here?

These terms are being thrown around by the media and are being used to antagonise people of different colours against each other, otherwise we would not need the likes of SkyNews, and the BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,003 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I don't see any issue with that video tbh.

It's basically explaining to those white people who seem to think BLM somehow means BLM more than WLM, that actually BLM means Black Lives Matter Too.

If you are not black then you have no idea what BLM means as having to explain that "lives matter" isn't a thing that has ever occurred to you. You get it for free due to your race. Other races dont and they are a minority, so they are trying to explain to the rest of us "hey, life is kinda sh1t for us yunno, can we get this changed?"

• Registered Users Posts: 27,003 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

So the statement " You may have heard the phrase "white privilege" and been antagonised by it. Don't be. " is just an innocent term?

"understand that black people want a level playing field, an equal chance. That is all. Not more than you, just the same opportunities as you."

To be honest, of all the black people i know none are paid less than me.

SO where is the White Privilege here?

These terms are being thrown around by the media and are being used to antagonise people of different colours against each other, otherwise we would not need the likes of SkyNews, and the BBC.

And thats fine, but you need to understand that your experience of black people is in the tiniest of tiny realities.

GreeBo wrote: »
    I don't see any issue with that video tbh.

It's basically explaining to those white people who seem to think BLM somehow means BLM more than WLM, that actually BLM means Black Lives Matter Too.

If you are not black then you have no idea what BLM means as having to explain that "lives matter" isn't a thing that has ever occurred to you. You get it for free due to your race. Other races dont and they are a minority, so they are trying to explain to the rest of us "hey, life is kinda sh1t for us yunno, can we get this changed?"

If they mean Black Lives Matter Too, then the slogan would be less antagonistic and should say All lives matter!!

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    And thats fine, but you need to understand that your experience of black people is in the tiniest of tiny realities.

How so?

I work in IT, and have done for almost 20 years.

Explain how Tiny my reality really is!!

If they mean Black Lives Matter Too, then the slogan would be less antagonistic and should say All lives matter!!

That makes zero sense when you are trying to highlight the issues that black people face.

What do you find antagonistic about highlighting racism?

Its not highliting racism, it is blatantly stating that Only Black Lives Matter, or have they changed the slogan since I last checked?

Its not highliting racism, it is blatantly stating that Only Black Lives Matter, or have they changed the slogan since I last checked?

This is seriously what you're getting from it?!?! They state, both in the video and article, that it doesn't mean that at all but to say that black lives matter just as much as white lives.

Here is the type of thing that never would have happened to a white father and son going on a charity cycle.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jun/28/black-teenager-on-family-cycle-ride-injured-during-aggressive-police-arrest

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Slowyourrole

Nowhere has anyone said "only" black lives matter. It's not the idea that "White Lives Matter" where an issue arises, it's that the phrase is only ever used to counter black lives matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

BLM rubbish has gone way over the top now at this stage. If anything, more normal thinking people will turn against it such is the way it is rammed down our throats on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,316 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

All Lives Matter.
    I'm not putting anyone in a special place for privilege or for discrimination. BLM is a racist, black supremacy movement. Same as the KKK is a white supremacy movement.

ELM327 wrote: »
    All Lives Matter.
    I'm not putting anyone in a special place for privilege or for discrimination. BLM is a racist, black supremacy movement. Same as the KKK is a white supremacy movement.

I hadn't realised that people connected to the Black Lives Matter movement were lynching people and burning crosses and that its chief aim is to keep white people subordinate.

I really need to start paying more attention to the news.

Nowhere has anyone said "only" black lives matter. It's not the idea that "White Lives Matter" where an issue arises, it's that the phrase is only ever used to counter black lives matter.

Saying only Black Lives Matter is a antagonistic phrase and ishoild be labelled as a racist statement.

The fella that flew over the Etihad with the White Lives Matter showed how white people are not permitted to use on such terminology.

ELM327 wrote: »
    All Lives Matter.

If you really thought all lives matter, you wouldn't have an issue saying black lives matter.

As for your comparison of KKK to the BLM, you obviously know sweet **** all about either.

• Advertisement

I hadn't realised that people connected to the Black Lives Matter movement were lynching people and burning crosses and that its chief aim is to keep white people subordinate.

I really need to start paying more attention to the news.
    They are attacking innocent people and burning buildings

Saying only Black Lives Matter is a antagonistic phrase and ishoild be labelled as a racist statement.

The fella that flew over the Etihad with the White Lives Matter showed how white people are not permitted to use on such terminology.
    +1

White lives matter, black lives matter, all lives matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Ah BLM, Grade-A charlatans.

2,800 African Americans murdered in the US in 2016, 2,500 of these by other African Americans. Not a peep out of BLM.

Who will suffer most when police forces are disbanded? Residents of deprived communities.

When you donate to BLM, where does the money go? Democratic candidates. Also why do BLM get active in 2016 and 2020? Election years was it?

Calling your group BLM means any valid criticism means you dont think "black lives matter" - pure marketing.

Absolute sham.

They guys who had all the racist stuff on his social media? Let me ask you this, how many times have you heard or seen the phrase "white lives matter" other than in contrast to BLM? The answer is never, because it is only used as response to black lives matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭patsman07

This is seriously what you're getting from it?!?! They state, both in the video and article, that it doesn't mean that at all but to say that black lives matter just as much as white lives.

Here is the type of thing that never would have happened to a white father and son going on a charity cycle.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jun/28/black-teenager-on-family-cycle-ride-injured-during-aggressive-police-arrest

Nonsense. Anybody can be arrested in error. A (white) friend of mine had a baton drawn across his head outside a night club because he happened to be talking to someone who had stole a Garda's hat a few minutes earlier, was handcuffed, brought to the station and held for two hours.

Turning everything into a race issue is quickly becoming a bigger problem than actual racism.

I've been driving almost twenty years. I've encountered the Gardai on the road around 20 times, checkpoints etc. I'd say at least five out of the twenty times, the particular Garda I encountered was arrogant & impolite. I drove away from those encounters thinking 'he was a dick.' If I were black, in the current climate, I'd be thinking 'he was a racist.'

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Look at Canada and the USA.

They're nuts.

Mainly white women and white men and from what I see most are from the lgbtqvdsc groups

patsman07 wrote: »
    Nonsense. Anybody can be arrested in error. A (white) friend of mine had a baton drawn across his head outside a night club because he happened to be talking to someone who had stole a Garda's hat a few minutes earlier, was handcuffed, brought to the station and held for two hours.

Turning everything into a race issue is quickly becoming a bigger problem than actual racism.

I've been driving almost twenty years. I've encountered the Gardai on the road around 20 times, checkpoints etc. I'd say at least five out of the twenty times, the particular Garda I encountered was arrogant & impolite. I drove away from those encounters thinking 'he was a dick.' If I were black, in the current climate, I'd be thinking 'he was a racist.'

Why would race come into it.

Black or white or Asian or Eskimos can be dicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,734 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No. Thats your misinterpretation of it. Noone has ever said only black lives matter.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 40,734 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Nobody says only black lives matter though so your points are points are irrelevant and redundant

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

No. Thats your misinterpretation of it. Noone has ever said only black lives matter.

But the whole BLM bull**** movement is about exactly that and it's an attack against white people.

I tell you for a fact if I went out tomorrow an done up a sign white lives matter.... I'd be attacked.

Advertisement