Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Actifry & AirFryer Thread - Merged

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I haven’t done steak in one in a long time. Any suggestions for temps/timings? I’m not good at steak on the pan so hoping I might be better at it this way!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Maximum heat and red hot when you put it in, meat at room temp. I just watch the fat and when its nice and crispy after a couple of minutes I take it out and let it rest, Ive never had a bad steak from one, just don't leave it in there for half an hour or anything crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I haven’t done steak in one in a long time. Any suggestions for temps/timings?

I do them for 40-90mins at 80C in the small philips. Then sear on a roaring hot pan. The inside is still pink as it does not get to 80C. I am not sure on the stability of the units though, as a few degrees difference and it would make a difference.

The fat renders beautifully and the outside is dried off so sears better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Thanks. Gonna give it a bash tomorrow night. Made potato hash today with it with black pudding and potato pieces in it. Then did a small chicken in it this evening. My actifry took forever by comparison. This is doing things in less than half the time

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

rubadub wrote: »
    I do them for 40-90mins at 80C in the small philips. Then sear on a roaring hot pan. The inside is still pink as it does not get to 80C. I am not sure on the stability of the units though, as a few degrees difference and it would make a difference.
    Must give that a try, I would have thought anything that long in there even at the low temp would have been like jerky when it came out.

Nice sirloins 2 for a fiver in Supervalu at the minute by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭dazzday

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

It is on Amazon so you can read lots of reviews about it there. Seems to be decent and for 60 quid you cant go too far wrong

Thargor wrote: »
    Must give that a try, I would have thought anything that long in there even at the low temp would have been like jerky when it came out.
    it can look a bit shocking when it comes out, the surface is dry and brown and you would imagine it is overdone all the way through and dried out but its not.

I am still not sure if temp control is accurate though.

One thing I planned to try was taking it out and letting it cool, or chill it, and then put it back in the airfryer preheated to 200C. This could sear the outside enough while still remaining pink inside.

I love the fact the cooking is so even in the airfryer, on a pan you will have some bits not directly touching the pan. Same with rashers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

zweton wrote: »
    Thanks all, will pick up the Power XL. Now to try find the best price :)

Picked it up yesterday its so good really like it. Very convenient done the brekkie this morn and chicken skewers yesterday. Came out lovely, very impressed with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lillyacd

dazzday wrote: »

Bought it recently. Would recommend. Same appliance €80 in DID. Comes with a 3 year guarantee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

Instant Pot have launched an air fryer.

It'll be interesting to see how it stacks up against the Phillips.

https://www.instantpot.co.uk/product/instant-vortex-6-4-in-1-air-fryer/

£89 if you use the Fry10 coupon code.

Sounds very competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I bought the Cosori airfryer from Amazon a few weeks back. £69 it cost. Really nice piece of kit, digital, pre sets, non stick basket so far easier to keep clean than the Philips wire basket. Even gives you a beep to shake the basket during cooking!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

rob316 wrote: »
    I bought the Cosori airfryer from Amazon a few weeks back. £69 it cost. Really nice piece of kit, digital, pre sets, non stick basket so far easier to keep clean than the Philips wire basket. Even gives you a beep to shake the basket during cooking!

Interesting... am in market for a replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

Masala wrote: »
    Interesting... am in market for a replacement

I bought the tower one on DID, the one with the rotisserie for chickens and I can't fault it. Loads of room, loads of power and at €99, fairly priced

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭mags1962

Supervalu have a 4lt Daewoo on offer at the moment E39 got one on Friday its a nice neat unit and big basket.

Good comparison video of philips XL vs XXL. Would steer me towards the XXL though I think I would still go for the large "power airfryer" before it, unless the philips was a very good price.

I watched this at 1.5x speed, and it is fine, at 1.75x I could keep up ok but the voice sounds odd. I find many reviews and cooking videos are dragged out so speed them up. You can always go back and slow down to note measurements etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

mags1962 wrote: »
    Supervalu have a 4lt Daewoo on offer at the moment E39 got one on Friday its a nice neat unit and big basket.

hi would you fit a 2kg chicken in it please.
    I saw it in my local SV and considered getting it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

rubadub wrote: »
    I find many reviews and cooking videos are dragged out so speed them up. You can always go back and slow down to note measurements etc.

Ain't that the truth. I tend to avoid anything over 5 or 6 minutes as longer than that you know they will be talking a load of waffle.
    I bought the tower one on DID, the one with the rotisserie for chickens and I can't fault it. Loads of room, loads of power and at €99, fairly priced

Whats the rotisserie function like in terms of cleaning, they look great but was wondering if the fan blows hot drips of fat all over the inside walls of the airfryer?

Lidl have the 3.2L Salter for €49. Lidl plus app for €5 off will bring it €45.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Ain't that the truth. I tend to avoid anything over 5 or 6 minutes as longer than that you know they will be talking a load of waffle.

Whats the rotisserie function like in terms of cleaning, they look great but was wondering if the fan blows hot drips of fat all over the inside walls of the airfryer?

No, the air seems to be concentrated from the top down and doesn't blow fat all over the place. Hardest thing to clean is the bar that goes through the chicken but that's still handy enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,490 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Can someone please rank best air fryers please, price not an issue. Need one to cook chips for BBQs for a few people so based on what I've read here I need a large one.
    I'll often be cooking for four adults and four or five kids.

I'd like to use it for more than chips but good chips for BBQs is important.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Can someone please rank best air fryers please, price not an issue. Need one to cook chips for BBQs for a few people so based on what I've read here I need a large one.
    I'll often be cooking for four adults and four or five kids.

I'd like to use it for more than chips but good chips for BBQs is important.

I would definitely recommend the cosori. £89 for large one https://www.amazon.co.uk/COSORI-Electric-Temperature-Reminder-Function/dp/B07N8QY3YH/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=cosori&qid=1597065496&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFSMUxMSlE2NkdITkUmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA0NTk2OTkzMEtZVVVDTjhIRFpVJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA0MjYyMDZMVFpYSDFWRzNZNjEmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

I cant get over how easy it is to clean compared to the philips.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

I managed to get the XL Philips in a sale of some sort in Oct 2016 for £160 which would have been €200 at the time. The same (updated) model is on Amazon.co.uk for £217 today.

I'm very happy with it but if I was changing would I pay the Philips premium or get one of the competitor models? The Cosori you linked to looks very good as does the Instant Pot Vortex which has just been launched.

Are Philips still much better than everything else or are they still charging a premium even though comparable products are now available at less than half the price?

Has anyone switched from a Philips to another brand and regretted it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Cooking enough chips for 8-9 is going to be a challenge no matter which air-fryer you get.

54and56 wrote: »
    I managed to get the XL Philips in a sale of some sort in Oct 2016 for £160 which would have been €200 at the time. The same (updated) model is on Amazon.co.uk for £217 today.

I'm very happy with it but if I was changing would I pay the Philips premium or get one of the competitor models? The Cosori you linked to looks very good as does the Instant Pot Vortex which has just been launched.

Are Philips still much better than everything else or are they still charging a premium even though comparable products are now available at less than half the price?

Has anyone switched from a Philips to another brand and regretted it?

I had my last philips for 5 years before it died and another for 2 years before that. My biggest complaint about the philips is the wire basket is hard to keep clean. I can wipe the Cosori with a tissue and its spotless. I suppose time will tell how durable the non stick basket is but if it lasts 2 years it will have been a great buy for £69.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,490 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I had my last philips for 5 years before it died and another for 2 years before that. My biggest complaint about the philips is the wire basket is hard to keep clean. I can wipe the Cosori with a tissue and its spotless. I suppose time will tell how durable the non stick basket is but if it lasts 2 years it will have been a great buy for £69.

Thanks guys, that's good enough for me. I just bought the one linked.

from bargain alerts
    robcon wrote: »
    Just in case anyone was waiting on the 4.3l Tower Air Fryer to drop to £29.99 on amazon again it just did.
    Prob wont last long.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tower-Circulation-Technology-Adjustable-Temperature/dp/B077B9X3SB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

what's the best chicken nuggets for air fryer? tried a few but little one was not convinced, she keeps comparing it to McD :-(

what's the best chicken nuggets for air fryer? tried a few but little one was not convinced, she keeps comparing it to McD :-(

I like these cheap tesco ones.
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=271024465

have to be the battered ones, the breaded ones are crap. They are very often sold out as they are so cheap. There are several items tesco have which are unusually cheap and sell out fast, they are apparently only there so they appear cheap in grocery price comparisons. I had aldis similar ones and was not impressed. I think these tesco ones are on a par with birds eye dippers.

I do for 10-12mins with no preheat at 200C and do not bother turning. I do up to 10 at a time and they can all lay down flat with that amount, no overlapping.

If I wanted to pass them off as mcds I would brush with oil or toss them in oil half way through and cook at maybe 160-180C for a bit longer, mcds are not as brown as what comes out at 200C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

thanks rubadub. will give it a try soon

Advertisement