Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any business gaps here?

• 21-05-2020 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Tough ask I know but anyone have any ideas (or research advice suggestions) for a type of business that's needed or lacking in Waterford? Maybe something seen in other areas or abroad.

Covid work closure victim.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Tough ask I know but anyone have any ideas (or research advice suggestions) for a type of business that's needed or lacking in Waterford? Maybe something seen in other areas or abroad.

million dollar question, best of luck to new business owners, and even current business owners, the immediate future looks a bit scary, but im sure there will be new businesses opening, some being very successful. best of luck with whatever you try, we need people taking risks and starting businesses, we just need to put more securities in place for such people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Wouldn't mind having Burger King back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

A proper bowling alley. I know their is one in activate but it's tiny and more for kids. Pity the old one down by the RSC didn't work out.
    Also the likes of a Smyth's you store in the city centre could do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 bluess99

Would love to see a proper shop for walking/mobility equipment like sticks, wheelchairs and other stuff for older people to help with daily living. Fed up buying online.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

bluess99 wrote: »
    Would love to see a proper shop for walking/mobility equipment like sticks, wheelchairs and other stuff for older people to help with daily living. Fed up buying online.

There is nursing needs around the corner from shaws

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 bluess99

er1983 wrote: »
    There is nursing needs around the corner from shaws

Bought a folding walking stick in there before and felt apart after four weeks, when I took it back the chap would do nothing for me. Plus all the prices are very dear in there (guess they can charge what they like since no one else around). Dont really trust online stuff before seening it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

HOME DELIVERY BUSINESS

Going through the roof!!! listening to the Sunday Business show and every second dude is on there talking about they're home delivery service.

I was posting last week about the severe lack of delivery services of old.

Back in the day we had a coal man, a fruit and veg man, who also delivered our eggs a bread man a milk man, who also did orange juice and butter and oh yes we had our paper delivered too.

Surely some bright spark could offer those services to elderly people, milk deliveries or like a package of stuff newspaper etc.

Ideas are great to have and lots of people have great ideas but its the really clever people in life who know how to put those ideas into action and follow through.

Other ideas could be get yourself some health and safety training and there's also courses on Corona Virus compliance officers, every business will need one, chances are they will be promoted internally

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

A proper bowling alley. I know their is one in activate but it's tiny and more for kids. Pity the old one down by the RSC didn't work out.
    Also the likes of a Smyth's you store in the city centre could do well.

Totally agree, a proper bowling alley with snooker/pool hall would be great. Also a golf driving range.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 BittenByTheBug

Thanks for all that. Appreciate it - and the other replies. Food for thought for sure.

HOME DELIVERY BUSINESS

Going through the roof!!! listening to the Sunday Business show and every second dude is on there talking about they're home delivery service.

Back in the day we had a coal man, a fruit and veg man, who also delivered our eggs a bread man a milk man, who also did orange juice and butter and oh yes we had our paper delivered too.

Surely some bright spark could offer those services to elderly people, milk deliveries or like a package of stuff newspaper etc.

Ideas are great to have and lots of people have great ideas but its the really clever people in life who know how to put those ideas into action and follow through.

Other ideas could be get yourself some health and safety training and there's also courses on Corona Virus compliance officers, every business will need one, chances are they will be promoted internally

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

HOME DELIVERY BUSINESS

Good luck

This crowd started a few weeks ago looks like they will deliver anything you want from a shop

https://vendi24delivery.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Another cafe/ decent lunch spot that is good value and decent quality.

No 9 is a rip off, O'Briens across from Argos is gone..

It would be nice to have another option that's not city square food court or a hotel.

I know we have the likes of Amigo (sooo good, but not that much seating) but for general sambos/soup/ etc. I think the city is lacking.

Also missing a decent milkshake place. Bring Shake Shack back!

Actually there's an idea OP. Similar to ' Scrumdiddlys' In Kilkenny. Does all sorts of milkshakes, fancy icecreams where you can pile on choc sauce/ kinder bueno bits/ jellies etc. Very popular with people and I've seen many people travel from Waterford to Kilkenny JUST to go to Scrumdiddlys.

Oh and a decent comedy club.

Comedy in Waterford is an extremely rare occurrence.

You could approach the likes of Garter Lane or Central Arts, ask them can you rent the room for 2/3 nights a month, a BYOB thing (not sure how they would be about that, but nonetheless Garter Lane sell alcohol..)

etc and you pay them the rent out of the takings, a tenner on the door or something! Have it on a Monday evening (when all folks are bored and broke after the weekend) and a Friday/Saturday.

Like the 'International Bar' in Dublin and a few others, great comedy a few nights a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,751 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Oh and a decent comedy club.

Comedy in Waterford is an extremely rare occurrence.

You could approach the likes of Garter Lane or Central Arts, ask them can you rent the room for 2/3 nights a month, a BYOB thing (not sure how they would be about that, but nonetheless Garter Lane sell alcohol..)

etc and you pay them the rent out of the takings, a tenner on the door or something! Have it on a Monday evening (when all folks are bored and broke after the weekend) and a Friday/Saturday.

Like the 'International Bar' in Dublin and a few others, great comedy a few nights a week.

Didnt we have a laughter lounge here a few years ago ?

PTH2009 wrote: »

I'm not really sure, I'm only 22 so wouldn't have been out :p

I know the thirsty scholar tried to run a comedy thing about a year and a half ago, they had Karl Spain and a very funny Stephen Ryan down for a few hrs. It was brilliant and I enjoyed it but they never brought that night back again, and obviously it's 'Jarrz' now.. so.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Yes we did. It was on in the forum. Flash also ran some comedy nights for a short while.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,751 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

alta stare wrote: »
    Yes we did. It was on in the forum. Flash also ran some comedy nights for a short while.

Vaguely remember them was it 2006-2007 time ?

The one in the fourm was down stairs if i remember correctly

As a recent visitor there’s tons of ideas- but they’re related to current businesses already in place- so what’s your background OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Murphy2020

I have long thought that a Mexican restaurant would do really well. I've been to many in other cities and countries. Always excellent value for money and plenty of Marguritas etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Vaguely remember them was it 2006-2007 time ?

The one in the fourm was down stairs if i remember correctly

Yep you are correct it was downstairs. I'm not so sure on the dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

Bear grillz would be fantastic....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

alta stare wrote: »

Flash had comedy nights for years but they just didn't make money unfortunately which is a shame because I used to love the comedy club. Some great talent thrilled the years.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Advertisement