Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Only Fools & Horses

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The episodes with Jim Broadbent as Slater the dodgy copper were top class. Trying to fit Del up with the hookey microwave: great ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I've been watching it these last few days. Obviously filling TV time with repeats but I have laughed out loud a few times.
    I know Del is the star but Rodders can be brilliant at times

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Grandad "I was once in a card school where the cards were marked. I lost a fortune"

Del "You knew they were marked?"

Grandad "Oh yeah, I marked em"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,066 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The episodes with Jim Broadbent as Slater the dodgy copper were top class. Trying to fit Del up with the hookey microwave: great ending.

Broadbent was originally supposed to play Del Boy but he turned it down.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 39,424 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Broadbent was originally supposed to play Del Boy but he turned it down.

I think history has shown that the right person was cast as Del Boy although Jim broadbent as slater were superb.

The school reunion one is one of my favourite episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I think history has shown that the right person was cast as Del Boy although Jim broadbent as slater were superb.

The school reunion one is one of my favourite episodes.

I really can't imagine anyone other than David Jason in the role of Del Boy. I think the casting was perfect for OFAH.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

This episode was on over the weekend...

Del and Rodney are chatting up two girls in a nightclub and they are pretending that Rodney is a professional tennis player and Del his manager...

Girl "What do you prefer Rodney - grass or astroturf?"

Rodney "I dunno I ain't ever smoked astroturf"

Del then admits that they are not a professional tennis player and manager, but...

Del "No we're only kidding... we're Concorde pilots"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,066 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This episode was on over the weekend...

Del and Rodney are chatting up two girls in a nightclub and they are pretending that Rodney is a professional tennis player and Del his manager...

Girl "What do you prefer Rodney - grass or astroturf?"

Rodney "I dunno I ain't ever smoked astroturf"

Del then admits that they are not a professional tennis player and manager, but...

Del "No we're only kidding... we're Concorde pilots"

Watched that yesterday on Netflix. Love the part where he's having the back and forth with the Australian. The Aussie calls Del a Cockney villain to which Del responds that if the fella's great-grandfather hadn't been one, he would have been a Cockney himself.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Two of my favourite lines:

"As Hamlet said to Macbeth in a Midsummer's Night Dream, we've been done up like a pair of kippers" - Del Boy

"We've not got a car phone Del" - Rodney

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Savecoronabeer

Only thing that annoys me is the inconsistency regarding Uncle Albert. In his first episode and a few times thereafter, he states that he was a boiler maintenance operative but he has all these medals.

That's the joke really. The fact he lies about his days in the war is all part of the charm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Savecoronabeer

The one where Slater returns and he organises a class reunion. I think I rodney said Slater done him for doing 60mph in a built up area.

"You couldn't do 60 in that van if you pushed it off a cliff!"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,626 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

My favourite episode is still the dodgy car one, but the best moments belong to Trigger.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

Occasionally Gold do run episodes called "The story of OF&H", it gives insight into the history of the program, some things I remember from it are:

(1) John Sullivan was really not sure of casting David Jason as Del and had to be convinced by the producer Ray Butt who worked with Jason on Open All Hours.

(2) They only got one take at the chandelier scene, if it went wrong they lost the episode and due to time/contract constraints that might have resulted in losing the whole series because it was still in its infancy then.

(3) Nicolas Lyndhurst said he would prefer to be acting while on the move but David Jason also preferred that so he had to compromise, he said it would look ridiculous if the two of them were constantly moving around, so as you see in most episodes when in the flat Rodney is staying relatively still while Del moved around the flat while acting.

(4) Dels famous twitch with his shoulders/head/neck is based on a fella he used to work for when he was working in his days as an electrician.

My favourite episode is still the dodgy car one, but the best moments belong to Trigger.

:D

A great scene but actually ripped off from Open All Hours where Ronnie Barker first used it.

One of my favourite quotes from this episode is:

Rodney: How comes I didn't get a medal? I did all the running.

Del: Yes, but you were running away from him!

Rodney:I wasn't 'running away' from him actually. I was just luring him.

Del:Well you weren't half luring him fast! You came past me like Linford
    Christie - minus the poodle he keeps down his shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Watched that yesterday on Netflix. Love the part where he's having the back and forth with the Australian. The Aussie calls Del a Cockney villain to which Del responds that if the fella's great-grandfather hadn't been one, he would have been a Cockney himself.

As I was walking through Earls Court
    into a pub I was lured
    Where a nosey Pom
    Said “where you from”
    As I downed the amber fluid
    I said “get it straight,
    I’m an Aussie mate
    And I’m fixing to get plastered.
    But the beer is crook
    And the birds all look
    Like you have Pommie..,..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

The one where Slater returns and he organises a class reunion. I think I rodney said Slater done him for doing 60mph in a built up area.

"You couldn't do 60 in that van if you pushed it off a cliff!"

Brilliant episode and great line. Although he was fairly booting it in the episode where he went on the date with Nervous Nerys! :-)

Broadbent is a fantastic actor and probably would have been good if he was cast as Del Boy. However, it worked out well that Jason got the part.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Cake Man

No BD. DVD box has cuts primarily music related and A Royal Flush has 18 minutes gone due to John Sullivan re-editing. You can get full version on the part-work DVD. The VHS sets are more intact and my go-to versions.

As I said before, I wish somebody would give it a proper DVD/BD release. Unlike other shows, there doesn’t seem to be same push from fans who seem satisfied with the cut DVD sets. Would be great to get the following:
    1) Series 1 with original Ronnie Hazlehurst theme.
    2) As few music substitutions as possible
    3) Commentaries from actors on selected episodes
    4) Inclusion of documentaries
    5) All the mini-episodes, comedy sketches, Comic / Sports Relief spots
    6) Miami Twice as originally broadcast - two episodes not one.

I note Minder mentioned on this thread. The UK DVD releases are poor; the best versions are the Australian DVD sets from Madman. They have commentaries, promotional shorts and the break bumpers are fully intact.
    I'd gladly pay good money for all of that. I remember buying the full box set series 1-7 back around 2005, think I paid around E120 for it. Money well spent but they are probably buried in the parents house somewhere and I live abroad. Would anyone know where I could buy all the series/Xmas specials that I could watch on the phone? Again, would gladly pay good money. iTunes looks to only have the first 2 seasons.
    The DVD's would be ok but would love to be able to watch on my phone during lunchtimes at work and if out and about etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Cake Man wrote: »
    I'd gladly pay good money for all of that. I remember buying the full box set series 1-7 back around 2005, think I paid around E120 for it. Money well spent but they are probably buried in the parents house somewhere and I live abroad. Would anyone know where I could buy all the series/Xmas specials that I could watch on the phone? Again, would gladly pay good money. iTunes looks to only have the first 2 seasons.
    The DVD's would be ok but would love to be able to watch on my phone during lunchtimes at work and if out and about etc.

Netflix have the first 3 seasons and all the Xmas specials.
    That's for people in Ireland though, so it may be different for you since you are abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

8/10

OFAH Quiz

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

8/10 too. Jack the Ripper and foreign tourists got me. Bit disappointed tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

sligojoek wrote: »

9/10

sligojoek wrote: »

Del: Do you know your Janice doesn't wear a bra?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

As I was walking through Earls Court
    into a pub I was lured
    Where a nosey Pom
    Said “where you from”
    As I downed the amber fluid
    I said “get it straight,
    I’m an Aussie mate
    And I’m fixing to get plastered.
    But the beer is crook
    And the birds all look
    Like you have Pommie..,..

Granddad!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Great shout on quizzes.

Sporcle has loads
    https://www.sporcle.com/search/quizzes/

Quiz: Does anyone know where my boards username came from?

Quiz: Does anyone know where my boards username came from?

Triggers birth cert.

Triggers birth cert.

Correct

Correct

What did Rodney imagine his birth cert to contain for fathers name when he heard of the exploits of his mother?

Correct

It’s where trigger gets his military bearing

• Advertisement

What did Rodney imagine his birth cert to contain for fathers name when he heard of the exploits of his mother?

Mother's name Joan Mavis Trotter,
    Father's name Herb alpert and the tijuana brass

Advertisement