Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New HAM First QSO

Options

Comments

Shyboy wrote: »
    So sorry Mad-Lad, I didn't get anywhere near this forum or the radio at the weekend. The youngest was sick with vomiting bug of some sort, so my weekend was tied up with that.

All is back to normal here again so I will definitely get on the band this weekend if you might be around yourselves?

Sorry again guys. :(

No bother, Family comes first.

Yeah sounds good to me.

Glad the kid is doing good again.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shyboy

Thanks Mad_Lad. Yes, she is back to herself again, just in time for the good weather!! :)

Again, Friday or Saturday night. You guys choose and I'll be there.

Thanks Mad_Lad. Yes, she is back to herself again, just in time for the good weather!! :)

Again, Friday or Saturday night. You guys choose and I'll be there.

I'm good for Saturday night around 9pm local time, hopefully we can find a free space.

Shyboy, any thoughts about adding 20m to that antenna ? you could relocate the UNUN to nearer the ground and then work from there with the 40m of wire, doesn't have to go in a straight line, some can go straight up and then cross over in a straight line or sloping.

I think if you can manage that then you should be able to work 160m ( inefficiently of course ) but should be able to get on the band with external tuner, with the UNUN in place it doesn't work so well on non resonant bands, removing the UNUN for 160m and putting down a radial or 2 would help a lot on 160m it would make it quarter @ 40 odd meters long.

Still, my EFHW gets out to the U.K pretty well on 160m around 40 meters long with the UNUN.

I have a long wire fence that I intend to connect the UNUN to to see what happens.

Anyway, if we can all get on 160m it would be a lot easier to have peaceful QSOs.

Saturday night sounds great to me. It might be a few mins after 9.00pm before I can get on (possibly closer to 9.30pm). I will let you know on Sat evening for definite.

I still have the plans to do something with the antenna, but my problem is that I will need the help of my brother, who can't travel to me because of the restrictions...so I am a bit snookered at the moment...:(

It is certainly towards the top of the list to jobs to do.

Will chat tomorrow evening!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Guys it's been a very sad week in my area.

As a mark of respect for those concerned, I won't be on air for a few days.

• Advertisement

Slowblowin, are you coming on later ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Slowblowin, are you coming on later ?

Yep I will be there, it would be good to get a before and after report from you know the antenna is fixed. I have been on an English 80m net in the mornings and I seems to be working well.

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    Yep I will be there, it would be good to get a before and after report from you know the antenna is fixed. I have been on an English 80m net in the mornings and I seems to be working well.

You wouldn't be on the DXCommander Net by any chance ? :D

I'll post the frequency here around 20:50 pm. Need to get on fast though, free space gets taken fast.

You wouldn't be on the DXCommander Net by any chance ? :D

I'll post the frequency here around 20:50 pm. Need to get on fast though, free space gets taken fast.

Nope, not been on, although I am retired, I have not reached that age yet ! I do go on one of the oldies nets though, where I am the whippersnapper.

Ok, I will make sure to be there, the minute I see the post I will go on.

3.633 lads ?

• Advertisement

Hi Mad_Lad,

I have been on the frequency for the past 10 mins and you are coming in +20 but with a fair bit of QRM. SlowBlowin is very faint here just making it over the static. I did hear you call out for me and I tried to return the call but I must not be getting through this evening :(

I will keep trying...

we've moved to 3.684 maybe try again ?

Hi Madlad

Enjoyed that QSO tonight, even if 20% of it was saying my callsign !

I will try and get into that ATU next week, and get the firmware upgraded on the Icom 7600.

Shyboy its a shame you couldn't get on, but the qrm was terrible. My QTH has a big mountain directly north of me so its not surprising that I was weak with you, hopefully next time it will be better.

Hi Madlad

Enjoyed that QSO tonight, even if 20% of it was saying my callsign !

I will try and get into that ATU next week, and get the firmware upgraded on the Icom 7600.

Shyboy its a shame you couldn't get on, but the qrm was terrible. My QTH has a big mountain directly north of me so its not surprising that I was weak with you, hopefully next time it will be better.

Yeah great QSO thanks for getting on.

Your call is a bit of a tongue twister alright. :D

QRM and QRN tonight, that's not going to get better now we're in Spring, lots of lightning over the continent.

Get that ATU connected and we can try top band and 60m.

ShyBoy, hopefully next time you'll make it through, maybe you'll find room for an extra 20m of wire :D

QRM and QRN tonight, that's not going to get better now we're in Spring, lots of lightning over the continent.

ShyBoy, hopefully next time you'll make it through, maybe you'll find room for an extra 20m of wire :D

Couldn't believe that it was so bad tonight, at least at my end, especially how clear I could hear Mad_Lad on the original frequency. I tried the second frequency but I found it worse. :confused:

I suppose that's the way HF goes sometimes. There's always next week...or whenever you guys are next on...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,497 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Yesterday 18 April was World Amateur Radio Day. But the only stations I heard marking it were Spanish, with an AM prefix and a WARD suffix. The extra QRM these days must be down to more operators being at home.

https://www.iaru-r1.org/2020/world-amateur-radio-day/

So I did the firmware upgrade on the Icom 7600 and although I got a bunch of new features, still no 60m Band.

I looked into it more and its a soldering iron job, and you have to remove a number of surface mount diodes. I opened up the radio and found the diodes and they are as small as it gets. This is going to have to wait as I broke my prescription glasses a few weeks ago, and I am using some reading glasses I got from Don the chemist, they are OK but not the best for surface mount work.

The next option is to use the FT-897 and mod that to get 60m, I have had a look at that modification and I believe its within the scope of Don's glasses, so I might try that.

I am going to start looking at the Palstar in a minute.

Couldn't believe that it was so bad tonight, at least at my end, especially how clear I could hear Mad_Lad on the original frequency. I tried the second frequency but I found it worse. :confused:

I suppose that's the way HF goes sometimes. There's always next week...or whenever you guys are next on...

Yeah QRN bad last night and it's only going to get worse as we get closer to Summer as more and more Thunderstorms form.

Do try get that extra 20 meters of wire in the air as high as you can, see below a rough sketch of the layout of my property and antenna. Antenna length 40m and property 1 Acre.

cDAQQMz.jpg

No more tongue twister, now got the EI call

No more tongue twister, now got the EI call

Happy days, will be easier to say with a few beers ! :D

• Advertisement

I was listening last night to the FT-891 and have to say it really impresses me, the Noise reduction, NB, Contour and IF shift all together just blow the IC-7300 away.

I'm so impressed with the 891 that I'm seriously considering selling the 7300. I like the 7300 but it just does not have the ability to clear up the signals like the 891. It reduces static noise really well too.

The 7300 can't even eliminate the constant popping of all the electric fences around me. The 891 = no popping noise.

I think I might get the FTDX-3000.

Who's up for qso tomorrow night on 80m ? Same time 9pm local ?

I should be here, dont think Im going out !!!

I have 60m too now.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Malmsteen

If you let me know the frequency I would see If I could listen in... acquired a G4CFY ATU recently and with a random length of wire just 6ft of the ground its amazingly quiet and I have stations Booming in from all over Europe and farther...

Malmsteen wrote: »
    If you let me know the frequency I would see If I could listen in... acquired a G4CFY ATU recently and with a random length of wire just 6ft of the ground its amazingly quiet and I have stations Booming in from all over Europe and farther...

Yes, I will post the frequency around 20:50 so if everyone could check in here around then and get on as fast as they can because a free space doesn't last long on 80m.

I'll try around 3.680 Again, I'll start from there and post the actual frequency around 8:50 Pm.

Yes, I will post the frequency around 20:50 so if everyone could check in here around then and get on as fast as they can because a free space doesn't last long on 80m.

I'll try around 3.680 Again, I'll start from there and post the actual frequency around 8:50 Pm.

Perfect, I will be there. Third time lucky?? :)

Perfect, I will be there. Third time lucky?? :)

Ah yeah sure give it a go, I'd say you would have been fine except for all the QRN last week, hopefully it will be quieter tonight.

3.629 lads, band is packed but isn't as noisy as last weekend but lots of QRM from packed band. We'll give it a go anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Malmsteen

Listening here on my FRG7700 5/6 clear in Co.Clare... and 5/9 plus on HackGreen just wish I could join in on the QSO but will enjoy listening....

• Advertisement

3.629 lads, band is packed but isn't as noisy as last weekend but lots of QRM from packed band. We'll give it a go anyway.

I just got onto 3.629 but can only hear +20 severe QRM here...:(

Advertisement