Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Reberetta's Walrus Reveal AKA Reberrus!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

Order of reveal will be same as last time. 13th down to 3rd. Then 14th, 2nd, 15th and 1st.

Have I heard of this artist: Yes
    Have I heard this song: No

Sean Connery? I am not familiar with Highlander, I believe it is a TV show about...Luke Skywalker fans in kilts?

This is typical Queen; 'low-key' isn't a phrase I'd utilize to describe their music. Layered vocals; bombastic, operatic vehemence; tigerish thumping drum rolls and riffs bigger than Brian May's perm hairdo that make you want to throw your air guitar into the...air.   "Oooh Ooooh Ooooh people talk about you..." is my favourite part. There is some killer frenetic fretwork from the guitarist, some siren-like prolonged notes, but it's not vintage Queen. It's a bit too overblown and pompous for me.

Vocals: 7.5/10
    Song: 5.5/10
    Score: 13

13th place:
    beakerjoe

Have I heard of this artist: No

Is she related to Uriah? The vocals on this track might have been modified by a few gadgets. I feel like I'm listening to a robot. I'm wondering how many takes it took and how many tracks I'm actually hearing. It's an interesting concoction with instrumentation almost non-existent. Works best with headphones.

Part of this song was famously sampled by some dude whose name I've forgotten, possibly Jason DeRulo. It's the most notable hook of the song, and if I were her, I would have repeated it throughout and made more filthy cash like an undignified sellout with no values.

This is a decent ditty, but she can hide all she wants, I'm not seeking.

Song: 6/10
    Score: 13.5

12th place:
    tusk

Interviewer:
    On “Feed You Lies,” you’re clearly battling some self-doubt. Is that a personal song, or are you assuming a character. And if it’s about you, does the doubt still percolate to the surface from time to time?
    Odu:
    "Yeah, it kind of does, actually. “Feed You Lies,” was originally about a friend of mine that was just really frustrating me, just being so limited in the way he was approaching a lot of things in his life. Then I suddenly realized I was essentially talking to myself. I was essentially projecting everything I was feeling toward this person. A lot of it was basically telling myself to wake up; stop limiting the things that I can and can’t do. And yeah, it was a lot of self-doubt, a lot of frustration with my lack of action. This was a period where I was considering whether or not to show anybody this music at all. I thought, “God, nobody wants to listen to this trash; this is terrible.” Eventually I [said], “I’ve gotta put it out there, and I have to stop censoring myself.” So that song was very much turning things against myself. In a lot of ways, the other songs are quite like that, too. There’s a lot of [songs] inspired by other people, but definitely the situations that are involved are things we seem to all have."

The intro sounds like typical eighties, then the vocals hit and it suddenly sounds contemporary. Although it's not irresistibly infectious, the chorus has a singalong quality; its warbling sounds a little like Pink but I'm not blown away by the cadence. This is a passable poppy number but nothing extraordinary. No idea what's going on in the video! Not bad.

Vocals: 7/10
    Song: 7/10
    Score: 14

11th place:
    Also Starring LeVar Burton

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

That Queen song is super unexpected. Haven't heard that for years :)

• Advertisement

Intro is a choir, then the chief cherub comes in. There's a segment after two minutes where she sounds like she's stretching a little but otherwise it's very good. The accompaniment are accomplished angels. I don't know what the lyrical subject matter is, and I don't want to know; I'm just going to assume she is a Mexican bandit singing about the death of one of her gang at the hands of the villainous sheriff; it has the tinge of lament.

I can't say I'm enamoured with the song. It's a tad dull, and doesn't evoke any emotions within yours truly, but I'm sure others' heartstrings have been tugged by this performance.

Excellent singers.

Vocals: 9.5/10
    Song: 4.5/10
    Score: 14

10th place:
    Deleted User

Have I heard this song: Yes

I have an inexplicable enmity for Tina Turner's hair. It looks like she's got a dead dog resting on her head and I'm tempted to call the RSPCA. And she needs to lay off the lipstick.

This is a classic track with an embedding hook. Alas, it doesn't feature on any playlists of mine. She's a superb diva, though I'm not terribly fond of her voice, and I don't think this really challenges her lungs and allows her to showcase the full range of her talents.

"Who needs a heart when a heart can be broken?" How about everybody, specifically the Tin Man.

Score: 14.5

9th place:
    Spook ie

I like Florence's posh English accent and I love reheads, but I'm not the biggest fan of her inflection; although she nurses the soul, she's no Keats' nightingale (See what I did there? Appreciate it heathens!). There's something a bit thick about her natural tone; her voice is like a bowl of tasty porridge.

Creative drumming on this track which is apt. I like the bridge which begins "I run to the river and dive straight in..." at 1.35. Fitting, because through headphones, this song is like a flood, pouring in from all sides; or like a tribe of drumming Indians marching slowly on the attack. Good.

Score: 14.5

8th place:
    FixXxer

The intro is instantly recognisable; it has an early Stone Roses vibe. For some reason, this tune brought to mind The Goo Goo Dolls' hit Iris; the acoustics, strings, production and mawkish subject matter I suppose.

A little similar to Matt Bellamy, I'm not overly impressed by his pitch, timbre, intensity and range relative to other contenders in this category, but the high notes are impressive and I like them. 1.35-2.05 is my favourite section. I'm not a big fan of the last minute or so; it's anti-climactic and drags. This grew on me; but much like a wart, not a lot.

Song: 7.5/10
    Score: 15

7th place:
    Gru

• Registered Users Posts: 14,818 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I love that song

• Advertisement

Christina's a talented chanteuse; in the serenader stakes, I'd put her ahead of Taylor Swift, Florence, Britney, Pink, Rihanna and most current pop starlets. Soft piano, light drums; this has a Leann Rimes mood. Mariah Carey springs to mind too. Good company, in my opinion.

At around the three minute mark, the intensity raises in a bridge, before slowing down to a conclusive crawl again. I just noticed Glen Ballard co-wrote this track, he of Jagged Little Pill fame. Fine song, quality warbling, but not something I'll rush to listen to again.

Vocals: 8.5/10
    Score: 15.5

6th place:
    ShaneU

This is a nice piano-driven bluesy number with gruff, gravelly trilling, interspersed with the rhythm of a harmonica. He's more like a brilliant big bear than a howlin' wolf and I enjoy his grainy tone. Some of the 'whoo hoos' are a little feeble but otherwise it's a stellar performance from a distinctive natural, although I'll bet he can croon to an even higher standard. The lyrics are a bit vapid and he resembles Frank Bruno a little so points deducted for those unforgivable faults.

Vocals: 9/10
    Song: 6.5/10
    Score: 15.5

5th place:
    $hifty

Have I heard this song: Yes, but not this version.
    "I was going to make this my live performance entry, but I think its good here and I went for the live performance as I think JayKays voice is just so amazing, the band are fantastic and the first minute where the crowd sing the song before Jay even gets to the microphone is just awesome. Great vocals, great dancing! and of course he goes into the crowd for 3 minutes towards the end as well while the band just jams away in the background. But the vocal is just so crystal clear. In an age where everything is autotuned to the nth degree, its great to hear a voice that hasnt changed an iota in almost 30 years."
    -Submitter

This is stellar musicianship throughout, but it goes on forever! And why is he dressed as an Indian?

I've always like Jay Kay's voice. It's unique and sometimes that is more important and alluring than generic technical perfection, which isn't to say he isn't capable of said flawlessness; this is pretty close to it. The back-up singers do a terrific job too.

This song is like something Prince would write. It's not as wondrous as Virtual Insanity but insanely awesome nonetheless. I like the guitar solo just before the end and the bassist really keeps it all together like glue, kicking in the doors at 3.12 like a boss. Marvellous.

Song: 7.5/10
    Score: 16

4th place:
    Rikand

I get the feeling this guy can sing even better than this performance suggests, which isn't to say it isn't very good, but he sounds a little frayed; the lungs a tad jaded. He's a natural, with a great pitch and timbre. This is a really good jazzy number, similar to some of Van Morrison's music, given justice by the backing band playing what I think is sax and trumpet. The lyrics are something many Americans can relate to no doubt; I can picture Donald Trump in the oval office weeping to this plangent serenade.

Magnificent.

Song: 8/10
    Score: 16.5

3rd place:
    phatkev

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Didn't realise a reveal was ongoing - I don't know what's going on, I can't remember what I entered...I'm going to enjoy this :)

So coming up shortly the final four reveals. In order: 14th, 2nd, 15th and last, 1st and winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Reberetta wrote: »
    So coming up shortly the final four reveals. In order: 14th, 2nd, 15th and last, 1st and winner.

I'm nervous! Still in the running but this could go either way

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

I get the feeling this guy can sing even better than this performance suggests, which isn't to say it isn't very good, but he sounds a little frayed; the lungs a tad jaded. He's a natural, with a great pitch and timbre. This is a really good jazzy number, similar to some of Van Morrison's music, given justice by the backing band playing what I think is sax and trumpet. The lyrics are something many Americans can relate to no doubt; I can picture Donald Trump in the oval office weeping to this plangent serenade.

Magnificent.

Glad you liked it, Bradley is one of the most under rated soul singers of his time. Theres a great doc about him called "Soul of America", he had a fairly tough life and didnt actually release a debut album until 2011. Critics have mentioned the point that he gets a little over emotional during live performances, but this just adds to the beauty of his voice imo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

lassykk wrote: »
    I'm nervous! Still in the running but this could go either way

Likewise, just tuned in and I haven't been yet...

Likewise, just tuned in and I haven't been yet...

Think mine might be at the bottom... Very left of centre!

• Advertisement

lassykk wrote: »
    Think mine might be at the bottom... Very left of centre!

At least Reb's pulling the plaster off quickly :p

Have I heard this song: Yes, but not this cover.

The original was lively with a slight disco beat; this is much slower, a schmaltzy piano-driven ballad which has diminished the potency of its source.

There's a part near the end where he shows his range, breaking the ceiling and going off into the clouds. Impressive. Although he's an excellent singer, I don't really like his timbre, and I think the song is more suited to a diva.

I prefer Cher's version. It had more oomph. She sang the chorus with more panache and pizzazz, even if she cheated with auto-tune. Plus, she's Cher and this is some greaseball called Adam Lambert. Even his name sucks. Cher gives it a standing ovation at the end? Screw her too.

14th place:
    Pretzill

He's the lead singer of Queen now ;)

Have I heard this song: Yes, but not this cover.

The original was lively with a slight disco beat; this is much slower, a schmaltzy piano-driven ballad which has diminished the potency of its source.

There's a part near the end where he shows his range, breaking the ceiling and going off into the clouds. Impressive. Although he's an excellent singer, I don't really like his timbre, and I think the song is more suited to a diva.

I prefer Cher's version. It had more oomph. She sang the chorus with more panache and pizzazz, even if she cheated with auto-tune. Plus, she's Cher and this is some greaseball called Adam Lambert. Even his name sucks. Cher gives it a standing ovation at the end? Screw her too.

14th place:
    Pretzill

Surprised you haven't heard of him. He "replaced" Freddie in Queen. I can't describe all the types of wrong that is!

The replacing Freddie that is not your assessment of the song ;)

Pavarotti and Skunk Anansie You'll Follow Me Down (live)

"Such a weird juxtaposition.Every time I listen to it, when Pavarotti comes in, I think "what is this?". I still don't know if it actually works, but I love it."
    -Submitter

As a fan of Skunk Anansie, I knew Skin was a talented singer, but I'm surprised she could hold her own with Pavarotti!  What an honour to have the opportunity to duet with such a world-renowned, respected behemoth of a tenor-I imagine he was thrilled.

Her gentle lilt really underpins the deeper intonations of Luciano producing the greatest blend of black and white since Keegan-era Newcastle United! Luciano is the Shearer of this team and Skin is Les Ferdinand.

There are better Skunk Anansie strains, but I guess Little Baby Swastika wasn't really appropriate for the occasion. Fantastic.

Vocals: 10/10
    Score: 17

2nd place:
    Electric Nitwit

So last or first. My nerves are shot

Look forward to listening to the skunk song tomorrow

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Jaysus that is a duet I would have never expected to see!!

• Advertisement

Final remaining two songs to be revealed in one post.

Advertisement