Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie Investor looking for advice

• 23-03-2020 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm looking for advice for a first time investor looking to dip his toe into this sector.
    With the way things are going, stocks seem to be getting a hammering and I suppose theirs no better time to try get involved in it?
    I'd like advice on
    a) Recommendations on a Stock Broker? Preferably one that is easy to sign up with and simple to navigate?
    b) Best online source for a tutorial to study and improve my knowledge of the market.
    c) Any suggestions on stocks to look at? Nothing high risk, just a few that i could invest in and leave to run its course.
    d) You own personal journey on where you started from and possible pitfalls to avoid?

My head is wrecked with all these online crash courses you see on FB etc, that make it seem it's easy to understand but ends up just being over-whelming and a complete waste of time.

My intention is to invest something small to get me going while in the meantime study and improve my knowledge of the markets and investments.

The way i look at it, we all have to start somewhere and that's exactly where I'm at right now so any feedback or direction will be greatly appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

a) Degiro.ie
    b) Reddit/r/investing and Youtube
    c) Value Investing - Warren Buffet's championed philosophy (e.g. Coca Cola, Apple - solid fundamentls, dividends, sales, cash )
    d) Started in 2016, have made many losses and many gains. Only becoming more sensible and logical with my choices now.

Don't let your emotions win over your logic. Don't invest your debt. Only invest what you can afford.

Also look at other forms of investment e.g. property, private equity, bonds etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,355 ✭✭✭Shedite27

SquireD wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I'm looking for advice for a first time investor looking to dip his toe into this sector.
    With the way things are going, stocks seem to be getting a hammering and I suppose theirs no better time to try get involved in it?
    I'd like advice on
    a) Recommendations on a Stock Broker? Preferably one that is easy to sign up with and simple to navigate?
    b) Best online source for a tutorial to study and improve my knowledge of the market.
    c) Any suggestions on stocks to look at? Nothing high risk, just a few that i could invest in and leave to run its course.
    d) You own personal journey on where you started from and possible pitfalls to avoid?

My head is wrecked with all these online crash courses you see on FB etc, that make it seem it's easy to understand but ends up just being over-whelming and a complete waste of time.

My intention is to invest something small to get me going while in the meantime study and improve my knowledge of the markets and investments.

The way i look at it, we all have to start somewhere and that's exactly where I'm at right now so any feedback or direction will be greatly appreciated! :)
    a) Degiro
    b) Learn App by MyWallSt

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Leave your money where it is, buy a couple of books on investing and spend the next couple of years learning. And then start investing. This is not the time to learn by doing unless you are willing to pay a high price.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭SquireD

Thanks very much all. Signed up with Degiro to get me started and will have a look at the above websites as well to start improving my knowledge! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Dave elle

buy an index fund if you are only starting, maximum diversification and lower risk, e.g. if you buy s&p 500 you are buying into 500 companies. You should be able to find a free pdf verson (if you look hard enough) of "The little book of common sense investing" by boggle. Essentially he goes through how mutual funds typically can't match the market average over a long period, due to fees and managers not being that successful. If a fund manager cannot beat the market, it will be very tough for an individual investor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

I would avoid stonks like fire, it's a falling knife.
    The market will bottom maybe in a year or 2, you will be just watching the price fall until then.
    I own gold al a long term (10, 20 year) investment as I know there's an overdue recession and they keep printing paper into infinity, bail out every boomer's failing business and encourage scams like buying your own stock.
    Gold will go up like hell, silver is actually a better play.
    I also own some crypto I minded myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

Hi all,
    I'd like advice on

Don't buy into any stupid apps and any short-term investing chasing the ticker bull.

Also there's lots of losers shilling their bags, you can usually tell a bagholder by the tone, kind of like when you can tell CIA glowies / paid shills. Don't get rekt.

This is a fake boomer but this specific video is correct:

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭bonjurkes

I will have a suggestion on different side. Learn the taxation process first before investing into anything. How to report/pay, what to pay for gains from stocks, if you are interested in ETFs check also taxation of it. Filling your pension fund in maximum then investing in investment funds are the most suggested things for investors in Ireland.

Most of the suggested investment methods for Europe is not a great idea because of how much tax you have to pay. So try to check specifically for investing in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Just pick a broad index like the S&P 500. Don't put your money in all at once; do it over a period of time. Use Degiro. Reliable, low cost. If you're not professional, you are thus an amateur. Forget it and go back to work.

Advertisement