Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I am new to this country and want to know why everyone is so rude.

• 21-01-2020 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Irish people please give your opinion.

Things I have noticed as an outisider visiting and living in this country as a middle-class white, educated, middle-aged man, Irish are NOT friendly or funny despite an outdated reputation, everyone is selfish and in a rush, will take everything they can get, hate manners and social etiquette like hello, please and thank you, love English things more than their own Irish culture, think that WE are rude as nice, polite outsiders, have no accountability and love to whinge at the pub about everything (a reputation given to the English funny enough).

Please enlighten me, give me something, i have completely lost my love of this country and am now just beginning to hate it which I don't want.

Why does no one want to help anyone here, or have meaningful, progressive conversations? Why is hating on everyone, being angry and rude ok but then call anyone else who cares arrogant?

See Mod note @ Post #159

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

If you don’t like it then why stay here?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

I presume you know where the airport is ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Things I have noticed as an outisider visiting and living in this country as a middle-class white, educated, middle-aged man, Irish are NOT friendly or funny despite an outdated reputation, everyone is selfish and in a rush, will take everything they can get, hate manners and social etiquette like hello, please and thank you, love English things more than their own Irish culture, think that WE are rude as nice, polite outsiders, have no accountability and love to whinge at the pub about everything (a reputation given to the English funny enough).

Please enlighten me, give me something, i have completely lost my love of this country and am now just beginning to hate it which I don't want.

Why does no one want to help anyone here, or have meaningful, progressive conversations? Why is hating on everyone, being angry and rude ok but then call anyone else who cares arrogant?
    The people at the exit gates at the airports are very friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

I came to this country nearly 10 years ago “for two years tops”. Fell in love with the people here. My guess is you got unlucky or come from some extremely nice community. You get assholes everywhere, don’t focus on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭.red.

One of my pet peeves is snooty people who call themselves "middle class"
    Maybe it's not the Irish, maybe it's you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭abff

If you don’t like it then why stay here?

I think that was a genuine question, in which case your response was somewhat uncalled for. I'd like to know how long OP has been in Ireland and where he is living, because I would hate to think that what he has experienced is typical of how people behave.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Fritzbox

.red. wrote: »
    One of my pet peeves is snooty people who call themselves "middle class"
    Maybe it's not the Irish, maybe it's you?

A lot of people don't hesitate to call themselves 'working class' - what do you say about them?

Well your first few replies have proved you right!

Personally I think Irish people are just basically racist & full of themselves.
    If you're foreign on holidays here, you will be welcomed by strangers. If you're foreign living here, maybe not so much.
    Also, Irish people love reland & cannot hear a bad word about it, although they are allowed to complain themselves about it, but no outsiders should ever say anything bad about the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 New to Ireland

Above is more of the same, anyone with any actual ideas welcome instead of the same drool. Gwen thank you for your words interesting you found it nice, I am curious how anyone can have a nice experience here I really am, genuinely. Going to any shop and asking for anything here is the rudest I have experienced anywhere in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Above is more of the same, anyone with any actual ideas welcome instead of the same drool. Gwen thank you for your words interesting you found it nice, I am curious how anyone can have a nice experience here I really am, genuinely. Going to any shop and asking for anything here is the rudest I have experienced anywhere in the world.

Maybe the problem is you and not them?

• Advertisement

abff wrote: »
    I think that was a genuine question, in which case your response was somewhat uncalled for. I'd like to know how long OP has been in Ireland and where he's living, because I would hate to think that what he's eXperienced is typical of how people behave towards the English here (which I infer he is from his post).

It was a genuine answer. If you don’t like where you are why stay?

Do you think everyone should conform to the happy go lucky Irish stereotype?

Rude?
    Fùck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

You need to get out of Dublin , try Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭The Orb

OP, where are you from, why did you leave ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

To be honest, given the ****storm that is occuring in this country with incompetent government leaders, ever growing homeless crisis, increasing cost of living along with our ever crappy weather, it's not hard to see why Irish people aren't happy (I'm not Irish btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,951 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Where are you based here? Where have you been throughout the country? How long have you been here? Are you here for work/pleasure/studies etc? Where are you from yourself?

A bit more info and we might be able to assist. Without, I'm not so sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Irish? What Irish? We are Europeans now. All the Irish were sold down the river for a few bob. I think what you have witnessed is the effects of the cultural genocide at the hands of our European overlords.

bubblypop wrote: »

If you're foreign on holidays here, you will be welcomed by strangers. If you're foreign living here, maybe not so much.
    Also, Irish people love reland & cannot hear a bad word about it, although they are allowed to complain themselves about it, but no outsiders should ever say anything bad about the country.

Are you Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

'tis part of our culture, sure

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭mojesius

Irish people don't say hello?!

You should take a drive down country outside of Dublin. Every driver will wave hello and staff in shops/pubs etc. will ask you how your day is and probably get a bit nosy wanting to know your sceal.

Even in Dublin, I find most shop staff are friendly and helpful compared with experiences I've had with many EU countries, USA etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Were you expecting overly friendly permanently semi drunk happy folk with ginger hair doing the Riverdance with their pet leprechauns?

Sorry to dissapoint you........

Anyway, I'd like to think that I'm a friendly approachable person who is mannerly and likes a chat with people. I'd always go out of my way to help, be that to a friend or a stranger and my circle of friends would be similar.

You'll always meet a mix of personalities no matter where you live so maybe you need to change things up a bit and see if you can expand your network.

Personally I'm a home bird and love Ireland, sure it's not perfect but life is good and as a location to live it's better than a lot of places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Bambi wrote: »
    'tis part of our culture, sure

No it’s not, I could say the same about Mallorca nationals after my holiday last year - bitter, scowling and completely unhelpful. But I won’t because a few bad shopkeepers doesn’t make a whole country of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

Also, as someone also pointed out above - Dublin is whole other level. I started out in a small town and didn’t set a foot to Dublin for the first year or so, apart from the airport of course.

Even after all this time I don’t feel comfortable up there, I settled down in Cork. Heard that Galway is very friendly too, if you’re looking for suggestions :)

Are you Irish?

Yep I am

Yep I am

So you’re racist and full of yourself or are you an exception to your description of the rest of us Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

You might be better off going to Canada. They’re very friendly. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Is it safe to presume that you are in dublin?

Take some time to explore the west coast, where people are not in the rat race chasing their credit card to keep up with the jonses.

So you’re racist and full of yourself or are you an exception to your description of the rest of us Irish?

It is a generalisation of Irish people that I have observed.
    Obviously doesn't apply to all, like any generalisation

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Going to any shop and asking for anything here is the rudest I have experienced anywhere in the world.
    You've clearly never been to Germany, then.

Seriously, why do you think mentioning that you're white, middle-class and middle-aged is relevant here? Maybe the fact that you think that is part of the problem.

By the way, I speak as a white, middle-class, considerably more than middle-aged foreigner myself, who's lived here for nearly 20 years, and is planning on staying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Is it safe to presume that you are in dublin?

Take some time to explore the west coast, where people are not in the rat race chasing their credit card to keep up with the jonses.

eh, no its not. I've met many visitors who say Irish people are very friendly and they were staying in Dublin. Come on over and visit us for yourself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement