Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Freshly roasted coffee beans online

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭limnam

Drumpot wrote: »
    I use I think de longhi (will double check tomorrow) machine that does all the work. Put in the beans and it grinds and pours out shots. I usually add some
    Warm milk and some caramel syrup (I know a real connoisseur doesn’t do this!)

Don't know much about them or how good/bad the grinder in them would be etc.

There's so many elements that can change. Even the age of the milk, how warm it is, how it's heated. As the beans are "living" they're changing pretty much all the time so I think its normal for the signature of even a single bag to change a bit over it's short life time.

But at a guess the machine is probably just not good enough to do everything consistently enough hence some days you like it and some you don't

I guess the only real way to figure out your taste is to keep trying different things/methods etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭dball

B L A C K F R I D A Y S A L E

Enjoy 20% OFF All Oak & Bond Coffee!

Use Discount Code: BLACKFRIDAY20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Bell lane doing 3 for 2 on all bags of coffee and free delivery over fifty euro.

No code needed. Stocked up on some single origin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭mad m

Bell lane doing 3 for 2 on all bags of coffee and free delivery over fifty euro.

No code needed. Stocked up on some single origin.

Been awhile since I got stuff from there...

What's nice?

I also purchased this so any recommendations ? V60 Grind?

https://coffeeangel.com/shop/Kinto-coffee-carafe-set-600ml-stainless-steel

All of their blends are good imo (wasn't too gone on the ocean one though). Dragonfly and Moondust in particular are excellent.

They rotate their single origins a lot, had some a few months back and they were top so maybe try out a couple? I went for the Beriti Tore - good prices for single origins imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

mad m wrote: »

I also purchased this so any recommendations ? V60 Grind?

https://coffeeangel.com/shop/Kinto-coffee-carafe-set-600ml-stainless-steel

v60 seems like the best way to go but this is concerning
    Finally, there’s the holder, which you can use to perfectly measure out your grounds, meaning that you won’t need to mess around with a set of scales. Just scoop up the marked quantity of grounds, and you’re ready to go.

nah i think i'll continue to measure my dosage depending on the bean thanks all the same

Just picked it up, coffee I bought from Art of coffee was lovely from it. No way it’s worth the full price of €56. Even the €28 is a bit expensive in my opinion but you are a long time dead:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Fantacoffee

I saw advertised that Gustatory are including Cloud Picker and Calendar in their coffee subs this month - https://www.gustatory.co/pages/speciality-coffee-box-subscriptions

Good to see some Irish coffee roasters getting noticed! Eagerly awaiting my February sub to arrive :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭ingalway

I saw advertised that Gustatory are including Cloud Picker and Calendar in their coffee subs this month - https://www.gustatory.co/pages/speciality-coffee-box-subscriptions

Good to see some Irish coffee roasters getting noticed! Eagerly awaiting my February sub to arrive :)

Hi. Which subscription do you have with them? They have a great range but the £9 postage does bump it up a fair bit. I guess Parcel Motel would bring it down. Does look very tempting, especially the Europe/USA and the plus 87

• Advertisement

ingalway wrote: »
    Hi. Which subscription do you have with them? They have a great range but the £9 postage does bump it up a fair bit. I guess Parcel Motel would bring it down. Does look very tempting, especially the Europe/USA and the plus 87

I am on their Plus 87 each month. You pay the international shipping when you subscribe, but the way I see it is because I am on a 3 bag subscription, the amount that I save per bag increase, it all roughly balances out the extra postage. It certainly saves me the effort of finding 3 good roasters each month, albeit the extra we have to pay, so yeah, I think its worth it! :D:D

Can't fault their customer service too, everything answered by live chat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,721 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I am on their Plus 87 each month. You pay the international shipping when you subscribe, but the way I see it is because I am on a 3 bag subscription, the amount that I save per bag increase, it all roughly balances out the extra postage. It certainly saves me the effort of finding 3 good roasters each month, albeit the extra we have to pay, so yeah, I think its worth it! :D:D

What are the roast dates like by the time they land on your doorstep?

Have to say that's the one thing I miss about my 3FE sub, roasted the day before they were delivered, Bailies is usually 5 or 6 days before which is decent.

Have to say that's the one thing I miss about my 3FE sub, roasted the day before they were delivered, Bailies is usually 5 or 6 days before which is decent.

Umm, well my deliveries are always dispatched at the start of the first week of the month, and the coffees are all roasted within the week prior. Well, the stickers / writing / signature stamps etc all say so.

I'd imagine co-ordinating all their coffees from all sorts of roasters from all over Europe is quite tricky so I am not complaining if it is ever a little extra, besides most of their top roasters all advise on the packaging to leave the bean contents to rest for a period after being roasted :)

I was tempted to upgrade to their EU/USA one, and I went on live chat about 2 weeks ago and apparently they're changing it to ROW, so going to sit on it until I hear what that change unravels. Maybe Asian coffee roasters, no idea :eek:

You would be better off changing your address to parcel motel - would be €3.50 for shipping (free UK delivery) versus £9 for international shipping. Save a few euro for more beans :-)

Thanks for that. I am very tempted as the range and quality look great. Might give Parcel Motel a go though.

Hi. Any reason you stopped the 3fe sub? I've also been looking at them. Prices seem reasonable, although the range is more limited, and I do like it being roasted the day before postage. Ordered a bag late Weds night, got it by courier yesterday, no shipping charge. That is great service/value.

• Advertisement

ingalway wrote: »
    Hi. Any reason you stopped the 3fe sub? I've also been looking at them. Prices seem reasonable, although the range is more limited, and I do like it being roasted the day before postage. Ordered a bag late Weds night, got it by courier yesterday, no shipping charge. That is great service/value.

Just a change of scenery to be honest. I was on the weekly Lucky Dip and lasted about 3 months or so. The single origins are nice and all but there's only so many before you start getting the same ones again and again.

The Bailies espresso sub works out around €9.50 a bag delivered, and the blends are pretty nice.

Currently drinking this

Ethiopia Yabitu Koba

It't just lovely.

I've done it Aeropress (13g/180ml) and French Press (40g/750ml), will do it v60 tomorrow I think.

I also got some of this

Burundi Nemba

Not opened it yet though

Both have roast dates 03/02/20

Picked up Buku Sayisa from Coffeeangel yesterday for a bit of a change of pace for pourovers, it's definitely one of the more different naturals I've tried, very floral. Definitely worth a try, I've found it best with a V60 but also done a chemex brew with it and it was nice albeit a bit light. Will give it a shot with the aeropress during the week

https://coffeeangel.com/shop/buku-sayisa-ethiopia

The Burundi from Bailies is very nice indeed, really fruity.

My Sweet Shop and Red Brick from Square Mile arrived this morning, roast date on both is 4th Feb.

I always enjoy Ethiopian coffee but the one I got from 3fe last week is the best I ever had, Ana Sora Natural.
    I also got the Washed version which I haven't opened yet.
    Great value and no postage charges. I'll be getting many more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

3FE and Roasted Brown stopped doing free delivery of single bags :(. I hope it's temporary and for now I will be ordering from other roasters.

3FE and Roasted Brown stopped doing free delivery of single bags :(. I hope it's temporary and for now I will be ordering from other roasters.

Ah here, who orders a single 250g bag of coffee?? You'd get through that in a day! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

What do you recommend from Bailies coffee at the moment?

I'm currently drinking the Ethopian Yabitu Koba and it's really good.

Keep an eye out for anything from Burundi, I had one of them delivered in Feb and honestly it was like the first time I drank a Yirgacheffe.

There's nothing there at the moment though, so the one above is the one I'd recommend simply because I've got a bag here.

There is another Ethopian and a Kenyan there too.

I'm biased to East African coffees though.

I'm currently drinking the Ethopian Yabitu Koba and it's really good.

Keep an eye out for anything from Burundi, I had one of them delivered in Feb and honestly it was like the first time I drank a Yirgacheffe.

There's nothing there at the moment though, so the one above is the one I'd recommend simply because I've got a bag here.

There is another Ethopian and a Kenyan there too.

I'm biased to East African coffees though.

https://cloudpickercoffee.ie/collections/coffee/products/2-sale-nemba-burundi-25-off

What ya reckon

I reckon you should buy it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

I'm actually drinking some Burundi beans myself
    https://www.westcorkcoffee.ie/shop/Burundi

Can't seem to get a decent cup (yet). Using AeroPress with a grind halfway between Medium and Fine. About 16g coffee brewed for about a minute inverted method. Then turned over and plunged slowly. Following the 3fe brew guide.

Any tips from anyone here appreciated...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Try a Kalita Wave or similar "pour over" system. As pure a cup of coffee as I've ever had..........even though I'm a slave to my new'ish Rocket.

But seriously, I've tried Kalita Wave (obviously have one) loads of times and you can get so much taste from it.

Aeropress at work and working through the last batch of filters until I can give the pour over a good run.

how much water are you using, if you know you are using 16g of coffee then you should know this too

Assuming somewhere between 200-230mls?

Any idea on the water temp?

on the face of it, it seems ok. My aeropress method involves about 77g per litre, and use water at about 88c, do a 30s bloom with about 25% of the water, stir and add the rest of the water, brew for 3mins. Inverted.

I have an Baratza Encore and use grind setting 12, but I don't know what that equates to. I use grind setting 7 for espresso, and 18 for French Press, so it's about halfway between both of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭The Haven

1:15 - 1:17 coffee to water ratio is good.

Then 90c to 95c water temp.

James Hoffman has a good youtube channel on coffee, to research it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

mad m wrote: »

Saw your link this morning and ended up buying 1kg of their Henry blend and 250g of the Nemba | Burundi bean. With the 25% discount and free shipping over 1kg, it works out as pretty good value.

I also have a 3fe subscription, so will be interesting to see how Cloudpicker beans compare.

how much water are you using, if you know you are using 16g of coffee then you should know this too

Assuming somewhere between 200-230mls?

Any idea on the water temp?

on the face of it, it seems ok. My aeropress method involves about 77g per litre, and use water at about 88c, do a 30s bloom with about 25% of the water, stir and add the rest of the water, brew for 3mins. Inverted.

I have an Baratza Encore and use grind setting 12, but I don't know what that equates to. I use grind setting 7 for espresso, and 18 for French Press, so it's about halfway between both of those.

I'm using a standard generic kettle and pour once the kettle boils. No idea on temp but I do have a thermometer so could check.

By bloom I assume you mean just pour enough water to cover the coffee? I've never included a bloom period in all honesty. I guess this is something I could start including.

So you're using a pretty coarse grind then? I've been getting finer and finer in my attempts at getting a better cup. My cup this was morning was best one so far but I think I left it brewing a bit too long. It was intense without being flavourful if that makes sense. It wasn't bitter exactly but probably still over extracted.

EDIT: As for grind size.. I'm using a DeLonghi KG79 Grinder. If I remember correctly there is about 16 clicks on grind size ranging from fine to coarse. Right now I'm about 4 I think.

I do apologise.

There are 40 grind settings on mine, and French Pres is 28, not 18.

So I'm using a fine-ish grind, the leaflet that came with the grinder suggests setting 12 for the Aero and that's what I use. It also recommends 8 for Espresso, but I found I was getting better results by going to 7.

Something I've found with lighter roasts is that often using less coffee can allow some of the more subtle notes to shine. I've often gone as low as 72g per litre on stuff from my Bailies Microlot sub.

Silverskin have a geisha up on their website, €30 quid for 100g.

with nothing else to spend money on I am very tempted by that

with nothing else to spend money on I am very tempted by that

I'd be terrified of making a bad brew with only 100g of it though, I'd definitely have to get 200 to make sure I was getting my money's worth :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

You'll get more for less elsewhere, to be brutally honest. It's not a bad coffee - but I'm not sure it's worth that much.

Imbibe Coffee have two phenomenal Panama Geshas on offer for less, if you contact them. They also have a Colombian coffee, La Promesa, that's half the price for more and is competition grade coffee, genuinely stunning cup.
    Something I've found with lighter roasts is that often using less coffee can allow some of the more subtle notes to shine. I've often gone as low as 72g per litre on stuff from my Bailies Microlot sub.

I think that's maybe too much. Try 60-65g. Don't worry about blooming for an immersion brew, it doesn't make any difference.

just on the bloom, yeah I sometimes don't bother with it.

One thing it does help with is getting more water into the press on the second pour.

Danger781 wrote: »
    I'm using a standard generic kettle and pour once the kettle boils. No idea on temp but I do have a thermometer so could check.

By bloom I assume you mean just pour enough water to cover the coffee? I've never included a bloom period in all honesty. I guess this is something I could start including.

So you're using a pretty coarse grind then? I've been getting finer and finer in my attempts at getting a better cup. My cup this was morning was best one so far but I think I left it brewing a bit too long. It was intense without being flavourful if that makes sense. It wasn't bitter exactly but probably still over extracted.

EDIT: As for grind size.. I'm using a DeLonghi KG79 Grinder. If I remember correctly there is about 16 clicks on grind size ranging from fine to coarse. Right now I'm about 4 I think.

Finally had a decent cup this morning following Stumptowns brew timing:
    https://www.stumptowncoffee.com/brew-guides/aeropress

Only difference being I used inverted aeropress, and rather than second stir I just flip the aeropress onto the cup. I figure that pretty much achieves the same thing as a second stir. Taste was much better, but I'm getting absolutely no aroma from my cup which is disappointing. There's some fruity aroma from the grind itself so not sure why that's not coming out in the cup :confused:

So my brew method currently looks like this:
    1. Start timer
    2. Cover coffee with all the water within 10 seconds
    3. Quick stir
    4. At 1:15 flip the press onto the cup
    5. Plunge for about 30 seconds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

I often wonder if the farmer knows their product sells for €300 per kilo. I wonder what they would say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I often wonder if the farmer knows their product sells for €300 per kilo. I wonder what they would say.

https://dailycoffeenews.com/2019/07/18/elida-estate-gesha-earns-1029-per-pound-in-record-breaking-best-of-panama-auction/
    Real quality speciality coffees sell for high prices for the green bean. Good farms tend to get rewarded in quality circles of production.

This is why a lot of people in the specialty coffee business get frustrated with the likes of 'Fairtrade' and other branded terms. Good roasters have direct relationships with farmers and they get paid fairly for the quality of produce.

agree with the above, that Geisha stuff is grown and processed to be a "competition" coffee, the farmer knows what he's doing, and knows the value of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

so i just bought my first bean to coffee machine but have probably got ahead of myself as i know nothing about coffee beans!.... Im an americano drinker when im out and about

had a nespresso and this was my tipple
    https://www.nespresso.com/ie/en/order/capsules/original/fortissio-lungo-coffee-capsule

what type of beans should i be looking at?

get some supermarket beans to dial in your settings

then buy some real beans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

get some supermarket beans to dial in your settings

then buy some real beans

yeah probably a good idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

A shout out to West Cork Coffee - I had an issue with delivery and customer service was spot on getting it sorted and generously refunding the order due to the delay (courier issue, no fault of WCC).

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Springfields

Old Baracks Roastery in Birdhill Co. Limk well worth a look..excellent coffee and excellent service

Springwell wrote: »
    A shout out to West Cork Coffee - I had an issue with delivery and customer service was spot on getting it sorted and generously refunding the order due to the delay (courier issue, no fault of WCC).

I ordered from them for the first time about 3 weeks ago - super happy - threw in a 50g sample of another bean too which was a really nice touch - wish more places would do sample sizes tbh. Great way to try a new bean!

I ordered from them for the first time about 3 weeks ago - super happy - threw in a 50g sample of another bean too which was a really nice touch - wish more places would do sample sizes tbh. Great way to try a new bean!

caviardreams

What did you order. Coming to the end of my 3fe beans, which I have to say were fantastic as I got 25% off at the time before lock down.

The Brazil - Fazenda Sertão (my favourite - would absolutely reorder on a regular basis!) and the Colombia - Finca El Nivel - also excellent. I like a nice rich, chocolately coffee mind you, not one for the citrusy ones!

Got a sample of the Peru and it was very nice too - slightly preferred the two I ordered though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement