Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Freshly roasted coffee beans online

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

cnocbui wrote: »
    Looking at the 3 bags per month option plus Parcel Motel it looks to be roughly €11.31 per bag. My latest order came to €7.65 a bag inc postage. I am rather eagerly awaiting it's arrival.

Well the blends one works out at about €10 per bag on the 3 bag option including parcel motel, and they do say teh bags range from 250-340g - if you got one 340g one it would be decent value but they may not be that common. Considering you are getting beans from different roasters and can expect to pay a premium for that, its not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Good deals in terms of subscriptions? Have you tried Gustatory? https://www.gustatory.co/pages/speciality-coffee-box-subscriptions

I have been with them for a few months now and am subscribed to what they call Plus 87. Its a package with some proper stellar coffees in, and from those I've received I cannot complain. In terms of a deal, I compared around before I subscribed with them and saw that match up with everyone, if not a bit cheaper. Really no complaints on the price of coffee at all from me, so maybe worth checking them out for both quality and price?

Has anyone else had experience with them? let me know as I would be keen to hear. Cheers

Thanks, just signed up to try this. I really need a good subscription. I still miss Pact from when I lived in UK. The coffee wasn't amazing but I never ran out of coffee, and never had too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

My cheap coffee has arrived from Luxembourg. Haven't tried any yet as I need to finish the last few beans of the current stock. I better hurry and drink some more. ;)

I'd never heard of pearl beans before, so this should be interesting. I imagine India would be one of the few places where labour is cheap enough to make it practical.

Cafe-del-Mondo-Coffee.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I know there was some conversation about Square Mile and people thinking it was a bit too pricey, but I picked up a bag of sweetshop in Vice earlier and it's lovely, 350g bag for 16.50 so around the same price as 3FE if you're buying single 250g bags.

Christmas blend from Adams & Russell out now - 1kg for £13 seems very cheap!
    https://www.adamsandrussell.co.uk/product/christmas-blend/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Fantacoffee

Zagato wrote: »
    Thanks, just signed up to try this. I really need a good subscription. I still miss Pact from when I lived in UK. The coffee wasn't amazing but I never ran out of coffee, and never had too much.

Ahhh, glad I could be of some help Zagato! Which did you subscribe to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

I started ordering from https://www.ponaire.ie/ who are based in Tipp' and much better value than paying €15 for 250g anytime I'm passing 3FE.

Ordered from these. Roast date "October".... So either 1 day or 2 old, or 4 weeks old already...

Is this normal? Have never ordered decent coffee before that didn't have an exact date on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Ahhh, glad I could be of some help Zagato! Which did you subscribe to?

Getting 2 bags monthly of their blended coffees for espresso.
    Just received a gift subscription to 3FE so getting 250g a month from them also at the moment. Hopefully won't run out of coffee again too soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭babybuilder

My local is having an offer at the minute, half price and free shipping. This one is my monthly regular I keep coming back to

https://artofcoffee.ie/product/fusion-blend/
    Ordered from these. Fusion ok but the Indian monsoon bean is very very good. Light roast but a sweet espresso.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Bailies doing 15% off with the code BREWLIFE for Black Friday.

Any other decent offers on beans before I take the plunge there? Looking for 3-4 bags / 1kg of beans I think.

• Advertisement

I received a marketing email from Gustatory today offering 25% off for their Black Friday. The code is BLACK25 at https://www.gustatory.co/pages/speciality-coffee-box-subscriptions

I am already subscribed, but there you go if you're not already!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭dball

decent offers

decent offers - Yes,
    decent beans - depends

20% off all Lavazza products today on discountcoffee.ie

dball wrote: »
    decent offers - Yes,
    decent beans - depends

Haha, that made me laugh. So very true. Offers and quality are 2 very different things. Well pointed out. Well, I r100% ecommend my above Gustatory one for quality.

I didn't even realise people subscribe to lavazza coffee? is that even a thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

decent offers - Yes,
    decent beans - depends

Ha - I should have specified; decent beans were the real question!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Everytime I try out different coffees its a pain when you end up with one thats not very nice. Do you guys persevere with a blend you dont like or just throw it out ? Also, any tips on knowing what kinds of coffee you like ? I often find I can like a coffee one day and find it not really nice another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Drumpot wrote: »
    Everytime I try out different coffees its a pain when you end up with one thats not very nice. Do you guys persevere with a blend you dont like or just throw it out ? Also, any tips on knowing what kinds of coffee you like ? I often find I can like a coffee one day and find it not really nice another day.

It's rare I'd come across a coffee that I bought that I just couldn't drink.

How are you brewing?

Pretty much any beans can be made taste woeful if brewed "wrong"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

I used to get subs from coffeangel, Badger & Dodo, now i just use Lidl. I could never really justify the price difference. Some of the cheaper beans are very nice imo.

which beans from Lidl are you getting results from and how do you brew?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

which beans from Lidl are you getting results from and how do you brew?

They have a range of Bellarom whole beans in a brown 255kg bag at the moment. Currently use there ethopian whole bean. Was not gone on the other regional ones (cant remember what they were). I think it great. I know people tastes vary but i cant fault some of the lidl beans although i got a few poor items as well such as the xxl bag of Bellarom beams. Not great imo. Any time they have their 1kg Italiamo blue bags on i grab a few bags of that. I think its very decent. I use a Delongi magnifica bean to cup machine.
    Every now and again i get a 250kg bag of premium beans and although they taste nice, i cant justify the massive price difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

limnam wrote: »
    It's rare I'd come across a coffee that I bought that I just couldn't drink.

How are you brewing?

Pretty much any beans can be made taste woeful if brewed "wrong"

I use I think de longhi (will double check tomorrow) machine that does all the work. Put in the beans and it grinds and pours out shots. I usually add some
    Warm milk and some caramel syrup (I know a real connoisseur doesn’t do this!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Drumpot wrote: »
    I use I think de longhi (will double check tomorrow) machine that does all the work. Put in the beans and it grinds and pours out shots. I usually add some
    Warm milk and some caramel syrup (I know a real connoisseur doesn’t do this!)

Don't know much about them or how good/bad the grinder in them would be etc.

There's so many elements that can change. Even the age of the milk, how warm it is, how it's heated. As the beans are "living" they're changing pretty much all the time so I think its normal for the signature of even a single bag to change a bit over it's short life time.

But at a guess the machine is probably just not good enough to do everything consistently enough hence some days you like it and some you don't

I guess the only real way to figure out your taste is to keep trying different things/methods etc.

B L A C K F R I D A Y S A L E

Enjoy 20% OFF All Oak & Bond Coffee!

Use Discount Code: BLACKFRIDAY20

Bell lane doing 3 for 2 on all bags of coffee and free delivery over fifty euro.

No code needed. Stocked up on some single origin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Bell lane doing 3 for 2 on all bags of coffee and free delivery over fifty euro.

No code needed. Stocked up on some single origin.

Been awhile since I got stuff from there...

What's nice?

I also purchased this so any recommendations ? V60 Grind?

https://coffeeangel.com/shop/Kinto-coffee-carafe-set-600ml-stainless-steel

All of their blends are good imo (wasn't too gone on the ocean one though). Dragonfly and Moondust in particular are excellent.

They rotate their single origins a lot, had some a few months back and they were top so maybe try out a couple? I went for the Beriti Tore - good prices for single origins imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

mad m wrote: »

I also purchased this so any recommendations ? V60 Grind?

https://coffeeangel.com/shop/Kinto-coffee-carafe-set-600ml-stainless-steel

v60 seems like the best way to go but this is concerning
    Finally, there’s the holder, which you can use to perfectly measure out your grounds, meaning that you won’t need to mess around with a set of scales. Just scoop up the marked quantity of grounds, and you’re ready to go.

nah i think i'll continue to measure my dosage depending on the bean thanks all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Just picked it up, coffee I bought from Art of coffee was lovely from it. No way it’s worth the full price of €56. Even the €28 is a bit expensive in my opinion but you are a long time dead:)

I saw advertised that Gustatory are including Cloud Picker and Calendar in their coffee subs this month - https://www.gustatory.co/pages/speciality-coffee-box-subscriptions

Good to see some Irish coffee roasters getting noticed! Eagerly awaiting my February sub to arrive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭ingalway

I saw advertised that Gustatory are including Cloud Picker and Calendar in their coffee subs this month - https://www.gustatory.co/pages/speciality-coffee-box-subscriptions

Good to see some Irish coffee roasters getting noticed! Eagerly awaiting my February sub to arrive :)

Hi. Which subscription do you have with them? They have a great range but the £9 postage does bump it up a fair bit. I guess Parcel Motel would bring it down. Does look very tempting, especially the Europe/USA and the plus 87

• Advertisement

ingalway wrote: »
    Hi. Which subscription do you have with them? They have a great range but the £9 postage does bump it up a fair bit. I guess Parcel Motel would bring it down. Does look very tempting, especially the Europe/USA and the plus 87

I am on their Plus 87 each month. You pay the international shipping when you subscribe, but the way I see it is because I am on a 3 bag subscription, the amount that I save per bag increase, it all roughly balances out the extra postage. It certainly saves me the effort of finding 3 good roasters each month, albeit the extra we have to pay, so yeah, I think its worth it! :D:D

Can't fault their customer service too, everything answered by live chat

Advertisement