Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Underapreciated games

• 20-11-2019 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

Recently I replayed Alpha Protocol on PS3. Objectively its a bad game, glitchy, clunky, poor animation etc but for me I find it to be a very enjoyable.

So is there any games you guys love that are underrated, poor reviews or are objectively bad but you still enjoy them.

Mods can close if there is already a thread on this, only one I could see was from 2001.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Like most things videogame it's can be very subjective. As an example I really liked the Dead Space series 1-3. The first one in particular was well received but the last one and the second to a certain extent received a lot of ire. I loved them all and played them to death.

The annual iterations of COD are another polarizing force. MW2 is probably my favourite game of all time, there's some sentimentality and nostalgia here too but I can still recall certain games of search with great fondness. Hadn't bought one since Blops2 or played one since Ghosts (freebies aside) but I'm absolutely loving certain aspects of the current one.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Like most things videogame it's can be very subjective. As an example I really liked the Dead Space series 1-3. The first one in particular was well received but the last one and the second to a certain extent received a lot of ire. I loved them all and played them to death.

The annual iterations of COD are another polarizing force. MW2 is probably my favourite game of all time, there's some sentimentality and nostalgia here too but I can still recall certain games of search with great fondness. Hadn't bought one since Blops2 or played one since Ghosts (freebies aside) but I'm absolutely loving certain aspects of the current one.

MW and MW2 were excellent games, they were critically and commercially popular and rightly so. I quit after BLOPS2 also. The new games just seem to be centered around loot boxes from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

No one has heard of it, but Glider Island is my single most-played game.

Just wonderful feeling of flight, literally like taking to the air over Hawaii in the evenings whenever I've had a ho-hum day at work.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/500110/Glider_Island/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm sure people are sick about me harping on about it but Ace combat 7 is one of the most exhilarating action games I've ever played and more people need to play it.

Etrian Odyssey on the DS and 3DS as well. They are great wizardry clones but the simple addition of a map you create yourself transforms it from a great wizardry clone to one of the best RPG experiences in the last 15 years. Brilliant games with amazing soundtracks by Streets of Rage's Yuzo Koshiro.

There's also the Atelier series of RPG games which I only got into recently. The press rarely covers them but they are some of the best RPGs you can buy at the moment. The mysterious trilogy was a let down but the previous trilogy 'Dusk' is getting a rerelease in January and is the best the series has been and the latest, Atelier Ryza, is a real return to form for the series. The games don't follow the usual save the world plot but go for something more down to earth which means when they do get dark they are very relatable. People harp on about the awful Ni No Kuni when the Atelier series are the games it so wants to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I think there are a lot of Wii games that fall into this category. More due to people not giving them a chance due to being on the Wii. I always point out the Wii exclusive version of Prince of Persia Forgotten Sands. Then we have Zack & Wiki. And while it did get a kind of sequel in Anarchy Reigns, MadWorld. The commentary alone is worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The European version of mad world was ruined thougb with terrible 50hz conversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

I recently finished Asura wrath for the first time and loved it . A mixture of a anime mini series meets Hybrid Fighting game . I remembered when it first released no one talked about it and unfortunately sold really poorly. I highly recommend it!

Other games that come to mind are

Deadly Premonition
    Tokyo Jungle
    Ghost of a Tale
    Valkyria Chronicles 4
    Resonance of fate

I recently finished Asura wrath for the first time and loved it . A mixture of a anime mini series meets Hybrid Fighting game . I remembered when it first released no one talked about it and unfortunately sold really poorly. I highly recommend it!

Other games that come to mind are

Deadly Premonition
    Tokyo Jungle
    Ghost of a Tale
    Valkyria Chronicles 4
    Resonance of fate

Asura's Wrath is a beast of a game, so over the top, its brilliant. Its a shame they put the "true" ending in DLC.
    Deadly Premonition will always be one of those so bad its good game. Gameplay was pretty poor but it had a great story and all that Swery weirdness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Vagrant Story
    I'd play it again if the graphic where not so ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 23,103 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Binary Domain.

Brilliant shooter. Dismantling robots is so satisfying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Nintendo Touch Golf for the Nintendo DS. There is a ton of games of the DS I could recommend but that game is one that reviewed badly.

Nintendo Pocket Football Club on 3DS, similar to Pocket Jockey it's a card based management game that somehow works.

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey for the Xbox 360. WW2 flight sim with plenty of missions. Takes a while to get used to.

Sherlock Holmes vs Jack The Ripper for the Xbox 360. Real euro jank but I'm a sucker for these games since playing this.

Always praise it but Civilisation Revolution was better than it had any right to be.

Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 for the Nintendo 64, granted it's well known to fans of AKI wrestling games but it might be the best one they made.

EA MMA is one of the best sports games that absolutely nobody ever played.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Warhawk on the PS3. No game has come close for me since.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Binary Domain.

Brilliant shooter. Dismantling robots is so satisfying.

I don't know why that didnt get more love, for the time it looked great, had a fun story and characters and played really well. Must have been poor marketing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Freedom Fighters. Russia invades America and a plumber saves the day. Love that game.

I don't know why that didnt get more love, for the time it looked great, had a fun story and characters and played really well. Must have been poor marketing.

Poor marketing and a general backlash against Japanese games at the time. It reviewed pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

gimli2112 wrote: »

Dead Space completely passed me by, partly because I'm a pansy, but just watched a review and it does look great. Must get this next time I notice it in a sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Plumbers Don't Wear Ties ... a true classic... misunderstood

On the other hand I found Dead Space 1 and 2 to be.... grand. Decent games but hardly amazing. They are a poor mans resi 4. They are sold 7/10's and the only stand out feature is their incredible sound design.

I would like to add virtua Fighter series to the list of unappreciated games and I believe VF is the best 3D Fighting game ever made.

I would like to add virtua Fighter series to the list of unappreciated games and I believe VF is the best 3D Fighting game ever made.

Virtua Fighter would have suffered from coming out on 32X for home consoles, Mega Drive version was 2d so it was always going to play second fiddle to Street Fighter 2, Virtua Fighter didnt have many memorable characters where as Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat or later Tekken did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭ Branson Mushy Tomcat

Could have swore there was good thread on this in the past. I was probably rambling about God Hand :P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

Guardian's Crusade (PS1). Brilliant game, only knew one other person who had it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    On the other hand I found Dead Space 1 and 2 to be.... grand. Decent games but hardly amazing. They are a poor mans resi 4. They are sold 7/10's and the only stand out feature is their incredible sound design.

In fairness they were better games than Resi 5 or 6 were. Now those were poor man's Resident Evil 4. It's like they looked at what worked in RE4 and didn't look at why it worked.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Dead Space completely passed me by, partly because I'm a pansy, but just watched a review and it does look great. Must get this next time I notice it in a sale.

Dead Space is worth playing alright, very atmospheric - the only condition of play is you’ve to draw the curtains and turn of all the lights!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭ Branson Mushy Tomcat

Off the top of my head...
    Resistance 3 - PS3
    Madworld - Wii
    Vanquish - Great PC Port out now BTW
    Luigis Mansion 1 maybe (doesn't seem like alot of people played it on the GameCube)
    Killer 7 too I would add

The Club was one I never played but hear alot of people rambling on about it (bit like Burnout expect it's a 3rd person shooter)

Edit* Above actually sounds like 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand which is class

Virtua Fighter would have suffered from coming out on 32X for home consoles, Mega Drive version was 2d so it was always going to play second fiddle to Street Fighter 2, Virtua Fighter didnt have many memorable characters where as Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat or later Tekken did.

Virtua Fighter 2 got released on the Saturn though which at the time was failing badly in the West.

In Japan the release of VF2 basically saved the Saturn, it was considered by the Japanese, and rightfully so, as a far better game to Tekken. VF2 was one of the best conversions ever, playing just like the arcade game at a rock steady 60Hz and was also the highest resolution console game ever made at the time.

In a fair and just world VF would be more popular than boring Tekken.
    Luigis Mansion 1 maybe (doesn't seem like alot of people played it on the GameCube)

Luigi's Mansion came in for a lot of criticism for being only 6 hours long. Miyamoto said that 6 hours is the perfect length for an action game and Luigi's Mansion and Pikmin were created with that philosophy. People moaned and threw their toys out of the pram.

It actually put me right off the game. I played it for the first time about 2 or 3 years ago and Miyamoto was right, it's the perfect length for that game. It's so much fun and doesn't outstay its welcome.

Off the top of my head...
    Resistance 3 - PS3
    Madworld - Wii
    Vanquish - Great PC Port out now BTW
    Killer 7 too I would add

The Club was one I never played but hear alot of people rambling on about it (bit like Burnout expect it's a 3rd person shooter)

Edit* Above actually sounds like 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand which is class

Killer 7 is great, seems like a lot of Suda51 games dont get the love they deserve. Shadows of the Dammed being another underrated game by him which didnt get much love critically, same with Lollipop Chainsaw and Killer is Dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Starflight 2, the mac version. Really immersive, great plot, sandbox feel while you gradually reveal the details of an interesting plot. Interesting diplomacy being vital, with interesting stories to the races you have to figure out how to make friends with. Really immersive game.

I think Tekken had the upper-hand only because it released on a more popular system at the time , Like retr0 pointed out the Saturn was already fading out in the west but In Japan VF was very healthy.

Sega failing to capitalise on the Esports scene with future entries is a lost opportunity in my eyes. Watching pro VF players counter each other is a site to behold.

in terms of memorable fighters I think all franchises have many great characters . VF are based on a more realistic approach than tekkens but I still love many VF characters like Akira, Pai , Sarah , Jacky, Kage, eileen, lei-fei :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Dragon Age Inquisition. It reviewed well at the time and got a decent reception but it feels like for most people it was just another game that's pretty much faded as time has gone on. I don't expect it to be in the conversation for game of the decade or anything like that but for me, it's neck-and-neck with the Witcher 3 as the best game of the last 10 years.

Everything with it connected with me, the story, the world, the characters, the battle system, even the DLC. I've play through it fully twice now and if it were ever to get a Switch release I'd be there money in hand for another go.

Advertisement