Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GoMo Experience Great so far

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

DaveyDave wrote: »
    A colleague of mine recently signed a 2 year contract to get an S10. €350 for the phone and €40 a month, total of €1,310. Before he bought it I told him to buy one on Amazon unlocked for €650 and keep his Sim Only for the same price. Now that GoMo is out it would have cost €890. Could have saved €420!

This is the point that so many people miss. One, especially now, is far better off financially getting an unlocked phone and paying a tenner a month for unlimited usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Ive had zero issues myself with gomo over the last 2 weeks. Ordered sim card but didnt schedule port until i tried it, i was coming from Eir so speeds, coverage was exactly the same.

Scheduled port for Monday morning @ 9am and it happened on time.

Happy with the monthly savings!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭kippy

JTMan wrote: »
    This is the point that so many people miss. One, especially now, is far better off financially getting an unlocked phone and paying a tenner a month for unlimited usage.

It's been the case for a long time.
    And bigger saving still if you don't buy into the marketing hype of the far more expensive phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I had no issues. Speeds and signal is generally worse than my three and VM Sims though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I've had a pretty good experience as well.. They're are some coverage dead zones in our apartment, which is a bit of a bummer though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Banzai600

we signed up a family member on Tues 12th last week, sim arrived on the Thurs 14th, the port date was set for 17th in the afternoon at 3pm, it went perfectly.

in saying that..............

there are a few of us thinking of dropping virgin mobile to go with Gomo, but still unsure as the Gomo "customer service" seems to be pretty sh!t / questionable based on what ive been reading here. I did notice some of the first time user issues were down to ppl themselves on initial set up but Gomo need to be more proactive and getting stuff sorted surely....?

anyone else switch from virgin media in Dublin area ? i do travel europe on hols a bit and want to know what coverage is like but prob to early to tell at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Have been switched over for just under 3 weeks now, no hassles, was with Eir previously and service is essentially the same.
    was paying 60 a month for 2 plans for myself and my wife, that €480 a year saving will go nicely towards a holiday or taxing the car!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

I've switched 2 numbers from Virgin with no issue. As said before wait until you receive the sim card before scheduling a port and verify the number on the sim is the same as the one assigned in your MyGoMo account.

I activated the sim and made sure it was working by testing it making and recieving calls and texts and checked the data connection. Once i was happy with all of this i scheduled the port during business hours and everything went smoothly for both sims

• Registered Users Posts: 16 peewee3ie

I have order 2 sims and also ported over 2 numbers and I did set a date for the port and all went to plan on the day of the port. I waited for the day so I could work out which sims will be which number.

I did move from vodafone to gomo and very happy with it. just as with any mobile network there is places I had coverage and there is places with no coverage with both networks and also coverage with one network where the other has none.

I was paying VF around 70 a month for 2 numbers and now paying 20 a month for 2 numbers and saving 50 also getting alot more data from GoMo than vodafone was give any of the 2 numbers.

I am happy out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Has anyone tried GoMo abroad yet? Wondering what network they use then? If there any issues it may be a concern as there is no 24/7 support...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭testtech05

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried GoMo abroad yet? Wondering what network they use then? If there any issues it may be a concern as there is no 24/7 support...

I used it in Bristol in the UK a couple of weeks back, cant remember exactly which network it connected me to but the speeds over there were excellent.

I'm very happy with the switch so far, thankfully I haven't had a reason to contact support though as that seems to be the main issue with GoMo people are having!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I can't imagine there would be many issues now that roaming is part of standard data. In the past when I bought roaming data I had to connect to a specific network which never worked. There was never any signal to manually connect and it would revert to something else and I wouldn't be able to use my roaming data.

Now that it's standard, I haven't had any issues landing in whatever city and using data right away. Unless I missed it, Eir's website doesn't specify to connect to certain networks abroad. I suspect GoMo to be the same.

seems good so far, i reckon i might just do it. Id be saving 15e pm = 180.00 a year.

all above seems positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,503 ✭✭✭baldbear

OSI wrote: »
    Had no issues at all porting 3 accounts over to GoMo from Vodafone, Eir and Tesco. However I am finding the data coverage to be a lot more hit and miss than I had in the past. Even compared to the Eir account which doesn't make a lot of sense.

I was with Eir and data coverage isn't as good down the country with Gomo. My Mrs home house in rural Gealway was poor but I don't mind as I wouldn't need it there. It was better with Eir so I don't understand it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Yeah i was in Manchester and it connected straight away and the speeds were very good.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Moved two mobiles to GoMo this week, no problems.
    Well worth the move, between the two mobiles its saving 50e a month

New SIM took a week to arrive which is understandable due to demand.

Setup the porting as soon as it came and it ported within an hour of the allocated time. No problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 buzz77

I have used it in Spain. Phone connected automatically to Orange network upon landing. Very good service, great internet speed, calls and texts to/from Ireland worked without hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Lennyzip

Ordered a sim for a mate Tuesday . Arrived today . Maybe they are finally getting on top of things or things have settled down . Who knows but that is some turn around in the process . He's not porting so will see how he gets on .

yeah, im gonna pull the trigger and tell virgin mobile to get stuffed. all seems positive.

if it goes pear shaped, the cooling off period is 30 days so can just shop around again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

Banzai600 wrote: »
    yeah, im gonna pull the trigger and tell virgin mobile to get stuffed.

Don't cancel at the Virgin Media end.

Order a GoMo sim, port and the Virgin Media account will be auto cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

And don't port until you've received the Gomo SIM and checked that it's number matches that allocated to you on the Gomo website.

Lissavane wrote: »
    And don't port until you've received the Gomo SIM and checked that it's number matches that allocated to you on the Gomo website.

cheers, thanks for that !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭This is it

Ported Saturday. Only scheduled at 2.15 for 2.30, alll sorted by about 2.40. No issues with inbound or outbound, data working as good as with Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

2 SIM cards arrived 1 day after ordering. Bith existing numbers ported to GOMO plan within 30 mins of chosen time.
    No issues whatsoever. Great deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ibmyself

Regarding Data: My Experience is you will be slowed down when you have used between 50 and 60GB's of data not 80GB as advertised. And by 'slowed down' they mean completely crippled to 25Kb/s at best.

Also they seem to be slowing the sending of the sim so you can't cancel within your cooling off period, it's already passed by the time you get the sim!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭kippy

ibmyself wrote: »
    Regarding Data: My Experience is you will be slowed down when you have used between 50 and 60GB's of data not 80GB as advertised. And by 'slowed down' they mean completely crippled to 25Kb/s at best.

Also they seem to be slowing the sending of the sim so you can't cancel within your cooling off period, it's already passed by the time you get the sim!

Not according to the post directly above yours...
    There are others here who have said GoMo issue a text as when you come within a few gig of the cap - I haven't verified this.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭WildIreland

Just a quick note about GoMo customer support -- which is getting slated on Social media. My experience with support has been very positive. Four sims ported over without issue, but support always responded (not instantly, but usually within a couple of hours) to any queations I had via Webchat AND Twitter DM.

Great!

Then, last weekend I came to port the fifth and final family member's number and at first couldn't schedule it. Support confirmed via Twitter DM that there was an issue with the confirm button on the Move My Number page, and that they were working on it. Tried again later and it worked so port scheduled for 10am on Sunday.

Port went ahead as planned, and appeared to work, but while the number could receive calle my daughter couldn't make or send texts. Mobile data was working though. Back on to support (Twitter DM again -- seems to be the most responsive channel, although I've always had a reply via webchat too when I've tried it), who promised to escalate it to the technical team. On Monday morning everything started to work properly -- I thought "Brilliant!" -- but a couple of hours later her sim stopped picking up a signal entirely. So back onto support -- who escalated the issue.

Turned out to be a more complex issue than it appeared on the surface, relating to blocks on the core network that weren't lifted as they should have been during the porting process. GoMo's support explained their team has no access to the core elements of the network, but that they were working with their partners to resolve the issue as soon as possible. They kept me in the loop at every stage of the investigation, and escalated the problem as necessary to find a solution.

Yesterday lunchtime everything suddenly started working for her, so she's delighted.

While it was a frustrating experience, and shouldn't have happened (it took from Sunday lunchtime to Wednesday lunchtime to resolve), I can't really fault the service from GoMo support throughout the process.

My experience is completely at odds with other reports online -- but then I was never expecting to be able to pick up the phone and ring GoMo, or to walk into a store if things went awry. My expectations were always for online only support (which I prefer anyway) and GoMo came through with flying colours in that regard.

It's easily the BEST support experience I've had with ANY mobile phone operator over the last 20 years.

All five of us on Gomo now -- less than €50 a month for the whole families calls, texts and data -- fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ebeanz

I used mine in the UK, previously my phone would struggle to connect and I'd often be left with no service or unable to get mobile data (3) As soon as I landed it went into "searching" mode and I assumed I'd have the same problems but it connected to EE and worked perfectly the entire trip. I used 1.8gb of roaming data with no problems.

I did have to make 1 phone call to a UK mobile number so I'm waiting to see what I'm charged for that but totally happy with Gomo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

ebeanz wrote: »
    I used mine in the UK, previously my phone would struggle to connect and I'd often be left with no service or unable to get mobile data (3) As soon as I landed it went into "searching" mode and I assumed I'd have the same problems but it connected to EE and worked perfectly the entire trip. I used 1.8gb of roaming data with no problems.

I did have to make 1 phone call to a UK mobile number so I'm waiting to see what I'm charged for that but totally happy with Gomo.

What were yuo using before? Three by any chance?
    Was a farce every time i was in the UK.
    Good to see It goes straight to EE.

Advertisement