Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

1223224226228229325

Comments

  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 58,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Wibbs


    150 quid? Ah jaysus. :D Can't go wrong at all.

    Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.



  • Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭ Lorddrakul


    aidankkk wrote: »
    On a closer look, there is loads of legitimate looking scratches, everywhere except glass which is nice. Not sure i've spend a better €150 in a long time.

    €150 for anything with a Poljot 3133 movement is very good, to be honest.

    These movements are not being made anymore, and even though they were knocked out for decades, their popularity means they will soon be sought after for their longevity and durability.

    Yours is a fairly classic pilot style, which I like.

    Well wear, you got a bargain there.

    Pop the back off and put a picture up so we can see the movement.

    As a Buran branded one, this would be a 2000s era watch, from when Poljot was competing in the international markets. The logo is from the Sturmanskie (Navigator) series that were originally Soviet Airforce issue only.

    It is a very nice watch for which NOS versions are available from €400+


    LD


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭ Daemonic


    aidankkk wrote: »
    This arrived. To Be Honest i'm a small bit worried as it looks miles better that i expected, condition wise.
    While a few 3133 watches are faked a lot, e.g. the Okeah which throws up more fake than real on ebay, this model has never been faked to the best of my knowledge. The model was produced for quite a few years too so plenty of them out there.
    So unless you find a quartz movement inside, I think you're fine ;)


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭ hitemfrank


    duckmusic wrote: »

    My image today is heavily influenced by duckmusic.

    Vostok Amphibia - picture taken after a swim in the Atlantic.

    IMG-20190917-160140514.jpg

    I'm on Porto Santo so the water was probably a fair bit warmer than what duckmusic was swimming in.


  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭ Ruraldweller56


    Got a nasty scratch on the little fúcker already. Wondering what to do. It's a fair kick in the nads every time I look at it.

    490889.jpg


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,569 ✭✭✭ micks_address


    Got a nasty scratch on the little fúcker already. Wondering what to do. It's a fair kick in the nads every time I look at it.
    Permanent marker?


  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭ Ruraldweller56


    Permanent marker?

    To get rid of a scratch on a bracelet? I don't know how that would work


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,546 ✭✭✭ Julian Nice Tattoo


    Whats going on, where is the scratch and why is there black on the watch at 6 o'clock.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,079 ✭✭✭ 893bet


    Think he is making sure serial number is hidden with black marker.


  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭ Ruraldweller56


    893bet wrote: »
    Think he is making sure serial number is hidden with black marker.

    Good man ðŸ‘


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭ Ruraldweller56


    aidankkk wrote: »
    This arrived. To Be Honest i'm a small bit worried as it looks miles better that i expected, condition wise.

    490732.jpg

    Lovely watch. What kind is it?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,546 ✭✭✭ Julian Nice Tattoo


    Good man ðŸ‘


    But you couldnt read the rehaut at that angle anyway, most you would get is maybe 2 numbers.. and the photoshop marker is semi transparent, also where is the scratch.


  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭ Ruraldweller56


    But you couldnt read the rehaut at that angle anyway, most you would get is maybe 2 numbers.. and the photoshop marker is semi transparent, also where is the scratch.

    For my own piece of mind I'd rather just blacken it.

    The scratches are on the links. Nasty business. On a new watch. I've still no idea where they came from. I'll try and get a decent photo. I'm really not keen on having it polished so soon after buying it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭ Ruraldweller56


    For my own piece of mind I'd rather just blacken it.

    The scratches are on the links. Nasty business. On a new watch. I've still no idea where they came from. I'll try and get a decent photo. I'm really not keen on having it polished so soon after buying it.

    Now that's not a bad one

    490906.jpg


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,546 ✭✭✭ Julian Nice Tattoo


    For my own piece of mind I'd rather just blacken it.

    The scratches are on the links. Nasty business. On a new watch. I've still no idea where they came from. I'll try and get a decent photo. I'm really not keen on having it polished so soon after buying it.

    Well then cut out the section of the pic, you could remove that in 20 seconds flat by adjusting the contrast and gamma of the photo.

    If you wear a watch it will get scratched, love your scratches. Lots of tutorials online about using cape cod cloths and scowering pads to remve scratches and return the brushed finish, but honestly just wear it and service it every 5 years and it will come back good as new. Owning a hulk is cool, but wearing it daily and not minding little scratches is cooler.


  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭ Ruraldweller56


    Well then cut out the section of the pic, you could remove that in 20 seconds flat by adjusting the contrast and gamma of the photo.

    If you wear a watch it will get scratched, love your scratches. Lots of tutorials online about using cape cod cloths and scowering pads to remve scratches and return the brushed finish, but honestly just wear it and service it every 5 years and it will come back good as new. Owning a hulk is cool, but wearing it daily and not minding little scratches is cooler.

    I understand that, but within reason. That's a nasty one. Probably best to just learn to live with it. For now anyway


  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭ Ruraldweller56


    'Character'


  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 58,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Wibbs


    Any scratches I've had on bracelets tended to be on the clasp end of things. I suppose it's down to the individual wearer. Like FG said though you'd go nuts worrying about scratches on a new watch. Kinda like the first tiny scratch you get on a new car.

    Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.



  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭ oxocube


    Wibbs wrote: »
    Like FG said though you'd go nuts worrying about scratches on a new watch. Kinda like the first tiny scratch you get on a new car.

    Sctratch on new car/watch = 7 Stages of Grief

    Shock and Disbelief
    Denial
    Guilt
    Anger and Bargaining
    Depression, Loneliness, Reflection
    Reconstruction and Working Through
    Acceptance


  • Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭ Creamy Goodness


    they're fairly noticeable scratches - but have to admit I was struggling to see them in the first pictures - but as people before me have said, the first scratch cuts the deepest.

    when you send in for a service you can get the watch (including bracelet) buffed up so that it's like new. it's all part of the service.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭ Time


    Wait until you get one on the bezel, that's far more noticeable, and is always the worst one to get ! I'm still waiting to look at my Datejust someday and see a chunk missing from the white gold, i'll actually be distraught when it happens


  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭ artanevilla


    The thing with scratches on watches is you've done it yourself, adds to the character of the watch.

    Scratches on cars tends to be some other fůcker banging his door against it.....


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭ Cienciano


    Time wrote: »
    Wait until you get one on the bezel, that's far more noticeable, and is always the worst one to get ! I'm still waiting to look at my Datejust someday and see a chunk missing from the white gold, i'll actually be distraught when it happens

    Yeah, bezel is worse because you notice it every time you check the time


  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 58,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Wibbs


    Another appeal of vintage stuff for me. Scratches are part of their story. Though even there it can depend. I may be downplaying RD's scratches on his Hulk, but I have a few NOS vintage, brand spanking new in appearance and yup I rarely wear them for fear of gouging or breaking them. So I'm just as bad or worse.

    I think, at least for me, it depends on the style of watch too. Something like a Sub or Hulk can look great with some age on them. As FG wearing a hulk and not giving a feck is pretty cool. Tool and military stuff of all kinds generally follow this pattern. They're like denim, they can look better worn. Dress type watches on the other hand ten to look worn out with any patina on them.

    Depends on the market too. So Japanese watchnutz can like, even seek out patina, even heavy patina, whereas the German market generally prefers NOS, they'll even restore something to brand new so they can add their own personal patina. I found that out when I sent my Heuer Bund to Germany for a service. It went out as looking like the well looked after 50 year old watch it was, they got it and during the service bead blasted the case and replaced the bezel and hands with NOS. I lost the plot when I got it back, but they seemed genuinely surprised at this. I asked for the "old" parts back, but they'd thrown them out. :eek: (this is a good few years ago mind you), but gave me the service for half price just to get the daft Irish muppet off the phone. :D

    Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.



  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 58,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel


    Owning a hulk is cool, but wearing it daily and not minding little scratches is cooler.

    Well said!

    "Wind is Ireland's oil" - An Taoiseach, 25/05/2022



  • Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭ Lorddrakul


    Very much in the watches to be worn camp.

    As I'm mostly a tool watch person and not really in anything dressy or casual, a bit of wear is to be expected and makes it look right.


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭ banie01


    I'm happy for AidanKK and his new poljot (Swear, not at all jealous) but I am just a little gutted I didn't hit the buy it now button rather than try to lowball the seller when it was 1st posted ;)

    Is there a version of it available without the fluted bezel and with a rotating bezel?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭ Lorddrakul


    banie01 wrote: »
    I'm happy for AidanKK and his new poljot (Swear, not at all jealous) but I am just a little gutted I didn't hit the buy it now button rather than try to lowball the seller when it was 1st posted ;)

    Is there a version of it available without the fluted bezel and with a rotating bezel?

    This is a highly reputable web site from which tog et NOS Russian stuff.
    I've used it and their servicing since I bought a Vostok and a Poljot.

    Poljot24.de

    Have a look.

    LD


  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭ Ruraldweller56


    Wibbs wrote: »
    Another appeal of vintage stuff for me. Scratches are part of their story. Though even there it can depend. I may be downplaying RD's scratches on his Hulk, but I have a few NOS vintage, brand spanking new in appearance and yup I rarely wear them for fear of gouging or breaking them. So I'm just as bad or worse.

    I think, at least for me, it depends on the style of watch too. Something like a Sub or Hulk can look great with some age on them. As FG wearing a hulk and not giving a feck is pretty cool. Tool and military stuff of all kinds generally follow this pattern. They're like denim, they can look better worn. Dress type watches on the other hand ten to look worn out with any patina on them.

    Depends on the market too. So Japanese watchnutz can like, even seek out patina, even heavy patina, whereas the German market generally prefers NOS, they'll even restore something to brand new so they can add their own personal patina. I found that out when I sent my Heuer Bund to Germany for a service. It went out as looking like the well looked after 50 year old watch it was, they got it and during the service bead blasted the case and replaced the bezel and hands with NOS. I lost the plot when I got it back, but they seemed genuinely surprised at this. I asked for the "old" parts back, but they'd thrown them out. :eek: (this is a good few years ago mind you), but gave me the service for half price just to get the daft Irish muppet off the phone. :D

    These are definitely not 'Character scratches' believe me. I can feel them with my finger nail.

    I think I'll just have to get it polished. It's a bit of a balls having to get it done so soon after buying it.

    And yes, as another guy said thank God its not the bezel.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,079 ✭✭✭ 893bet


    These are definitely not 'Character scratches' believe me. I can feel them with my finger nail.

    I think I'll just have to get it polished. It's a bit of a balls having to get it done so soon after buying it.

    And yes, as another guy said thank God its not the bezel.

    Try some scotch brite to start. Cheap and plenty of youtube guidance.

    If they are that deep a lot of metal may need to be removed.


This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement