Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bellator/WSOF/One FC etc events Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Mellor wrote: »
    Growing up there was constantly some karate/TKD "world champion" in the papers. Appears to be the case is virtually all martial arts that I've seen.
    Wrestling and Judo maybe the exceptions, as there clearly only one real world championships.

Jiu Jitsu getting a bit silly like like that too. There real wold champions, and a hand fully of other comps using that title.

I live in Athlone, there's a number of point karate, point kick boxing, kickboxing, and thai boxing schools and almost all of them have one or more "world champion"s in their coaching staff or membership. No doubt these lads are comitted to their training and are decent amature KB/TB practicioners, but the titles are ridiculious.

Fk_it24 wrote: »
    stuff

dude, wrong thread again. I think you need to sleep after your shift :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,038 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

No doubt these lads are comitted to their training and are decent amature KB/TB practicioners, but the titles are ridiculious.

That's the thing, It's not a knock on the lads. I'm sure they'e put in the work. But hard work can only get a random bloke so far. Elite status is different level entirely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

I know I bash John Kavanagh but has anyone got his win lose record this year? Really struggling to see his next McGregor. Pedro has a great chance

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

How legit are Richard Kiely’s kickboxing credentials, anyone know? I saw an interview where he said MVP has the better credentials for point-fighting, but Richie’s are better when it comes to full-contact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

but1er wrote: »
    I mean the sloppyness of how he came forward, shouldn't be getting caught let alone kod

It did look like a sort of awkward arm punch but often is the case with KOs. It's not the big shot, it's the shot you don't see.

Slightly reminiscent of Weidman catching Anderson in their first fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,038 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

but1er wrote: »
    I know I bash John Kavanagh but has anyone got his win lose record this year? Really struggling to see his next McGregor. Pedro has a great chance
    Going off online records, so far in 2019, SBG pro fighters are 18-11-1

Make of that what you will

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

In fairness McGregor is/was a once in a lifetime fighter. Most great coaches will never coach as successful an athlete and there will likely not be anyone who will reach his levels for a long time.

John will certainly bring through more fighters, but I would not be expecting another McGregor.

He is in a very different place now as is the gym after McGregor Mania.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

James Haskell (ex-England rugby player) has just signed with Bellator HW division.

No idea of the extent of his martial arts abilities but it's similar to the UFC picking up Eryk Anders I guess.

Whelo79 wrote: »
    James Haskell (ex-England rugby player) has just signed with Bellator HW division.

No idea of the extent of his martial arts abilities but it's similar to the UFC picking up Eryk Anders I guess.

More like the wife beater they signed recently surely? Or Schaub? Both actually played a few seasons in the NFL.

Weird one though, he's no spring chicken but he'll be stupidly strong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

More like the wife beater they signed recently surely? Or Schaub? Both actually played a few seasons in the NFL.

Weird one though, he's no spring chicken but he'll be stupidly strong.

6 foot 4 and 18 stone. Big boy. He has been training MMA for a while too. They'll give him a couple of bums to start off with a few KOs.

More like the wife beater they signed recently surely?

That is Anders isn't it?

I actually didn't realise Eryk Anders had such an extensive MMA career before joining the UFC. He had 17 amateur fights (13-3-1) and then 8 pro fights (all wins) before his first UFC fight.

Bellator will ease Haskell in though, we all know that. It's good to get new eyes on the sport though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

That is Anders isn't it?

I actually didn't realise Eryk Anders had such an extensive MMA career before joining the UFC. He had 17 amateur fights (13-3-1) and then 8 pro fights (all wins) before his first UFC fight.

Bellator will ease Haskell in though, we all know that. It's good to get new eyes on the sport though.

Greg Hardy was the wife beater.

ASOT wrote: »

And BJ Penn, Thiago Silva, Anthony Johnson, Abel Trujillo, Cody East, Abel Trujillo....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

The Nal wrote: »
    And BJ Penn, Thiago Silva, Anthony Johnson, Abel Trujillo, Cody East, Abel Trujillo....
    And not related to the post you quoted.

ASOT wrote: »

Ah, so it was. He's the one I was thinking about, not Anders.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭cletus

So, Mitrione Kharitonov 2 was even more bizarre than the first fight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Homelander

cletus wrote: »

Very good finish in fairness, but that whole mouthpiece thing was bizarre. Apart from the first round of that fight, pretty terrible card. Is it just me or has Bellator gotten significantly worse in the past year with increasingly poor fighters and terrible matchups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Whats the story with bellator 227? Two different cards?!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

cletus wrote: »

Kharitonov knocked it clean out of his mouth at one point

• Advertisement

Cage Warriors have announced a card in Cork (Neptune Stadium) on November 9th. Nice to see them back here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Cage Warriors have announced a card in Cork (Neptune Stadium) on November 9th. Nice to see them back here.

Any idea when tickets will be on sale for this?

What the **** was that with Kongo and Bader?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Homelander wrote: »
    What the **** was that with Kongo and Bader?

It's a bit funny how Bellator puts on freak fights but it's the serious fights that get the freak endings

When is Danis fighting next? Interested to see if he can get get up the ladder before he gets KO'd.

It's a bit funny how Bellator puts on freak fights but it's the serious fights that get the freak endings

Ryan Bader is still a great fighter but it's pathetic how many way-past-it fighters Bellator have on their roster, hard to watch some fights. There are some decent guys in the roster, but it's staggering how many poor fighters they have, and how blatantly willing they are to create gross mis-matches. People give out about UFC, but at least there's a general quality of fighter and fairness in the matchmaking at play.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I can't take Bellator serious, so many gross mismatches its as bad as boxing in that regard.
    The last one they put on in Dublin was laughable, the fella Gallagher fought got his black belt from a lucky bag, zero technique.

The worst part is hearing Big John talk up the garbage cans as if they're major threats. "Now this guy, he's got extremely heavy hands and can be very dangerous in the stand-up"....(check Sherdog, 0-3 record, 0 KO)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

rob316 wrote: »
    I can't take Bellator serious, so many gross mismatches its as bad as boxing in that regard.
    The last one they put on in Dublin was laughable, the fella Gallagher fought got his black belt from a lucky bag, zero technique.

Bellator is trying to make a star out of Discount Conor. Ofcourse they're going to give him questionable opposition. Just remember that guy made Discount Conor piss his pants in fear and nearly quit the sport for good. He should start wearing diapers for when he ****s himself when its time to start fighting the actual contenders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

To be fair, Bellator are doing it the right way, slow build up rather than straight to the wolves after 2 fights.
    How many prospects in the UFC have been crushed because of that?

Gallagher could do with toning down the antics though until he actually starts fighting good opponents.
    No point calling for a title shot when all you're fighting is low level guys.

Advertisement